The Senior Pricing Actuary will mainly focus on Reinsurance Treaty pricing along with exposure to reinsurance reserving, Cat modeling, Facultative reinsurance, ERM and other projects.
Note: reinsurance experience is preferred, but not required. Plus, we will consider various levels of experience (up to VP level); and the offer will be commensurate with experience.
This role will be based in our Stamford, CT office (Metro Center, 1 Station Place). We offer a hybrid work schedule with 3 days in the office; and 2 days remote.
Key functions include but are not limited to:
- Independently analyze and price reinsurance submissions and provide recommendations
- Work closely with underwriters to help them understand the conclusions and the key assumptions built into the pricing analysis
- Effectively communicate findings and results to internal and external stakeholders and all levels of management as required
- Present pricing findings to the company President and serve as a key member in the referral process
- Develop, enhance and manage pricing models including updating underlying methodologies, assumptions and parameters to achieve adequate rate levels to meet strategic objectives
- Provide actuarial input into portfolio management, business planning and projections
- Train, mentor and develop junior staff
- Support reserving, financial reporting and management reporting functions as needed
- Lead projects/analyses requiring cross-functional resources including those who are not actuaries
- Assist Chief Actuary with other projects as needed
The Senior Underwriter builds dynamic relationships, maintains a strong distribution channel, drives written premium growth, and maximizes renewal retention while delivering a high degree of customer satisfaction within our footprint of Independent Agencies.
Key functions will include but are not limited to:
- Strengthens relationships and educates agents within agency plant to maximize opportunities and achieve profitable growth.
- Achieves new business premium, renewal premium retention and rate change objectives
- Within company guidelines and granted underwriting authority, evaluates new and renewal information to determines risk acceptability terms/conditions to be quoted, and priced.
- Utilizes various underwriting tools to: determine acceptable risk characteristics; determine accurate exposure classifications; set adequate property limits to accomplish appropriate insurance to value and rate and quote business to agents
- Orders and reviews inspections to confirm accounts written are consistent with preliminary underwriting information and take action when the inspection reveals unacceptable risk characteristics.
- Determines if facultative reinsurance is needed and if so, factors reinsurance cost in gross pricing, completes cession procedures; documents file and follows established workflow procedure to ensure proper reporting / accounting.
The Vice President of Claims has overall executive management responsibility for the claims function. S/he impacts our company top to bottom, leading on outcomes, people, innovation, data analysis, and best practices. This role is responsible for the overall direction of claims management and practices of the company including oversight for developing, implementing, and managing policies and procedures to enhance the processing, investigation and settlement of claims. Key functions include but are not limited to:
- Creating vision, planning and executing to develop a best in class claims organization
- Direction, leadership, development and management of all claims personnel; adjusters, technical staff, data, operations, legal, etc. The adjusters have varying experience levels, establishing and monitoring authority levels, making claim assignments and approving payments and reserve requests
- Direction, leadership, and development of the department’s internal quality audit process to ensure compliance of best claim practices, processes and procedures
- Develop and implement policies and procedures which meet the needs of the company, customers, regulatory requirement, and audit controls.
- Establish the organizational structure, environment, and accountability of the claims operations in order to deliver services to the business. The development and use of metrics and analytics to identify trends and drives the department’s success
- Develop and manage relationships with outside vendors, consultants, contractors, and other Berkley companies in line with company policies and guidelines.
- Developing and maintaining claim/ legal resources to include attorneys, adjusters and expert witnesses and related responsibilities to include internal and external litigation guidelines, panel counsel and litigated claim outcomes
- Collaboration with multiple departments to ensure sound reserving practices are in place and maintained
- Ensuring compliance requirements are met through Large Loss Reporting to the WRB organization and reinsurers.
- Attracting World Class Talent to the department
- Supports and communicates Claim philosophies and builds business relationships with customers
The Scrum Master provides strong leadership to drive delivery. S/he manages large scale enterprise level initiatives using Agile principles at scale. As a technical delivery manager, s/he curates and implements portfolio management practices that balance the portfolio of our investments and continuously aligns them to our strategic vision. Key Functions include but are not limited to:
- Deliver Results: Ability to thrive and produce results in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. Leverage problem solving skills to ensure plans deliver on intent.
- Measure Value: You will prioritize high-value, high-need investments that bring value to the business. You will also continuously steer those investments and evaluate their alignment to the business value process chain of an organization.
- Understanding Our Customers: Learn and empathize with our customers. Partner with key stakeholders to provide thought leadership to influence outcomes.
Build high performing teams: We expect you to understand what we do and why we do it. This will help you assemble teams/pods to maximize productivity and achieve business value. You will hold product and engineering teams accountable to their goals.
The Contract SuretyUnderwriting Trainee is an entry level position that allows recent college graduates or individuals with no surety experience to participate in a Surety specific training program. Under the supervision of an Underwriting Officer or Manager training will consist of a combination of reading assignments and on-the-job training. The first stage of training will provide a general overview of surety as well as basic financial analysis. The next stage will focus on learning how to underwrite (analyze and assess) the operational and financial strength of companies from a wide range of industries as well as the fundamentals of contract surety underwriting. By the end of the program, the individual will be able to make preliminary recommendations on specific bond requests as well as new account submissions and renewal lines of credit.
*Individuals interested in this opportunity MUST be able to reside in New Jersey for the duration of the training program and then relocate to our Danvers, MA office at the end of the program.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Complete reading and study assignments on surety and financial statement analysis.
- Perform basic analysis of financial statements and supporting schedules.
- Sign-up for and complete the AFSB program; passing the parts 151 and 152 within the first year of hire. AFSB 153 should then be completed within six months of first anniversary.
- Review analysis with direct manager.
- Assist in data entry and maintains financial underwriting files according to company guidelines.
- Conduct initial evaluation of bond forms and contract documents in an effort to assess risk.
- Communicate findings and recommendations to direct manager in a thoughtful and logical manner.
- Develop the ability to communicate effectively on technical topics in both written and oral format, establish a working rapport with Field and Home Office personnel, exhibit good listening skills and the capacity to gain knowledge and expertise with additional experience and further training.
The Senior Underwriter will manage all related underwriting tasks required in assigned territory to promote written premium growth and favorable loss ratio results.
Key Functions will include but not be limited to:
- Responsible for new and renewal accounts with a focus on acquisition including underwriting and pricing accounts in accordance with Acadia’s underwriting standards and personal underwriting authority.
- Evaluate, select, and price policies for assigned agencies to achieve underwriting profit (within underwriting authority), premium growth, desired business mix, market/agency penetration, and agency management objectives with a focus on new business. Refer risks exceeding authority to management with recommendations for approval or disposition.
- Develop and manage assigned agency relationships with producers and customers through visitations and regular customer contact.
- Evaluate the performance of assigned agencies on an ongoing basis to ensure company and agency goals and objectives are met. Participate in review and evaluation of agencies and make recommendations on agency management issues. Communicate corporate goals, programs, underwriting policies, procedures, and guidelines to agents
This role will be based in either our Bedford, NH office, Marlborough MA, or Rocky Hill CT offices. We offer a hybrid work schedule with 3 days in the office; and 2 days remote where it makes sense to do so.
Enterprise Product Support Services (EPSS) provides strategic management, administration and coordination of multiple functions required to develop and maintain Berkley businesses’ products. Products include rates, rating rules, rating plans and forms across 51 jurisdictions on an admitted & non-admitted basis.
The Regulatory Project Lead is responsible for planning and overseeing major product development and other EPSS projects. This position collaborates with Regulatory Filing, Product Managers, Actuarial, BTS and other key individuals from Berkley businesses to ensure projects are planned, structured and monitored to develop and implement business critical product needs. This position is also responsible for planning and overseeing EPSS initiatives that improve the services they provide. This role develops project charters, which outline what will be done and why. In addition, this position develops the project plan, which outlines how the project will be done, including determining the key tasks, critical milestones, start and end dates, and the responsibility for each task. This position is responsible for project communication status and leads project team meetings and the coordination of activities across all project participates throughout the project. This position is responsible for overseeing project status, including identifying when projects are off course and working with the project team members to determine and implement corrective actions.
Project Lead responsibilities, include:
• Provide project management for major projects that span cross functional teams and various P&C products.
• Plan, manage and monitor multiple major projects simultaneously.
• Maintain an awareness of potential interdependencies with other projects and their impact.
• Manage project risks, including the development of contingency and corrective action plans.
• Manage project administration and communication.
• Manage people not under direct supervision to achieve project deliverables on time, within budget and in accordance with quality expectations.
• Conduct post project evaluation reviews to assess how well the project was implemented.
• Analyze EPSS product development processes and develop recommendations for improvement; assist with or lead the improvement initiatives.
• Assist the EPSS Leadership team with the implementation of standard project management methodology, processes and tools to improve the delivery and monitoring of all projects.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
The Life Sciences Executive Underwriter is responsible for new business marketing and production, renewal underwriting and service of business for an assigned group of producers. These producers may span several geographic territories. Additionally, within the next 12 months, this position may be responsible for broker management in the assigned territory and achieving overall team results. Key functions include but are not limited to:
- Provide leadership and direction to the team in order to meet the goals for new business, retention, rate and customer service. This includes effectively running team meetings to coordinate efforts and ensure a unified approach to handling brokers and issues.
- Coach, mentor and develop team by establishing clear goals and providing regular feedback as well as training and career development opportunities; empower LSSs to assume responsibility for their functions within the team.
- Responsible for results of the team; review results with the VP Field Underwriting Manager; proactively offer suggestions to improve performance and/or remove obstacles as necessary.
- Maintain business assignments, adjust as necessary, and implement contingency plans to address vacations and other time off.
- Build strong relationships with and manage brokers to ensure you meet or exceed financial goals including growth, profit, retention, and new business.
- Responsible for account solicitation, risk selection and analysis including the corresponding documentation, pricing and marketing of Berkley Life Sciences products and services for new and existing customers.
- Business development results for assigned book of business including finding and developing new producers to expand the team’s opportunities within a specific region.
- Identify opportunities for account rounding.
- Provide technical support to producers and insureds
- Stay current with all compliance, procedural and workflow changes.
- Work collaboratively and effectively with, underwriting associate, operations, legal, home office underwriting, risk management and claims.
- Engage in innovation initiatives, product launches, marketing campaigns and short-term projects as appropriate to contribute positively towards success of the overall team and company.
The Business Analyst is a member of a cross-functional team that develops, enhances and maintains systems that support business workflows. The Business Analyst participates in discussions with business stakeholders regarding new requirements and assists the Scrum team through an analysis of the impact of any changes on existing systems. The details of these discussions are documented in User Stories along with acceptance criteria that the change must meet.
Key functions include, but not limited to:
- Actively participate as a member of a Scrum team supporting business processes and workflow.
- Perform detailed analysis of proposed system changes and work with business stakeholders to define the value that will be provided.
- Collaborate with Scrum team members regarding solution design options and assist with the team understanding regarding the value that the proposed changes will provide.
- Assess business objectives and identify process improvements to support advancement of the objectives.
- Participate in discussions regarding the design of user interfaces and workflows.
- Assist with the triage moderate to complex production issues and collaborate with the team to resolve each issue.
- Propose and implement continuous improvements in support of existing systems.
To evaluate (selection and pricing) and maintain (control) risk acceptability and profitability within the company’s underwriting guidelines and procedures for commercial risks with a focus on non-admitted General Liability for middle market construction risks. Manage portfolio by maintaining good Wholesale Broker relationships. Meet and maintain the production, profitability, and service standards established for the company.
- Adhere to underwriting authority level as per on file with Manager.
- Gather underwriting information to properly evaluate commercial risks for acceptability within company guidelines. Underwrite for profit.
- Meet/Exceed production, profitability, and service targets.
- Ability to research and solve more complicated problems and make decisions.
- Determine final coverages and pricing for commercial risks.
- Review claims and loss information on individual risks. Use this information to identify and re-evaluate accounts and develop strategy for dealing with exposures and frequency issues.
- As a team with the Manager, manage the portfolio profitability and identify favorable and unfavorable classes of business.
- Maintain quality and time standards as established.
- Be informed/knowledgeable of industry issues and activities through formal educational processes to develop underwriting skills.
- Identify and cultivate brokers with new business opportunities.
- Assist in the development in junior level underwriting staff with training, mentoring and knowledge transfer
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The operations leader will drive operations, innovation, and process improvement across all regions. The individual selected for this position will work closely with all areas of the company to interpret business processes and identify control points needed to ensure compliance with company-wide compliance programs and contributes to the successful achievement of business objectives. This includes, but is not limited to, Enterprise Risk Management, Business Continuity Planning, and Emergency Response programs. In addition, this individual will manage and coordinate office operations for all Berkley Aspire offices. Contributes to the successful achievement of business objectives through development and execution of efficient and effective business processes. Oversee the operations for three primary regional offices. Drives change management implementation.
- Leads business operations through all stages; research, development and deployment for all Operation functions. Leads the development and deployment of vendor tools. Leads the change
- Works in conjunction with the innovation team to execute and implement new ideas into the workplace and marketplace. Will be the key leader in the change management process, from planning, developing, to execution and roll out.
- Responsible for the execution of the company’s Enterprise Risk Management review
- Responsible for the review, updating, and testing of our Business Continuity Plan
- Responsible for adhering to reporting and recordkeeping requirements
- Recommend and execute procedural changes to improve overall office effectiveness
- Exercise administrative judgment and assume responsibility for executive decisions
- Monitor performance according to agreed standards and take necessary action to communicate/advise/assist in performance management
- Review, define, and manage process workflows, policies, and procedures
- Communicate and respond to internal and external customer issues
- Develop self, and maintain knowledge in relevant field at all times
- Plans, directs and executes the company’s vision by ensuring best practices are established, shared and utilized. Recommends refining existing operations to ensure consistent and coordinated outcomes. Ensures that continuous improvement processes are executed to support the achievement of business results and most importantly continued efficiency improvements and expense reductions. Indirect leadership of cross functional teams.
- Management planning, deployment and communications for innovative and new ideas.
- Develops and maintains relationships with other Berkley operating units to capitalize on operation opportunities and efficiencies.
- Demonstrates successful collaboration with operations teams and other Berkley operational wins. Serves as liaison to facilities units, providing feedback and support as needed.
- Fosters a positive environment by modeling cultural expectations. Attracts, coaches and develops talent.
The Reinsurance Underwriting Account Executive is responsible for underwriting analysis on new and existing casualty treaty, program, and custom turnkey products reinsurance business. You will evaluate books of ceding company business including exposures, pricing structures, rates, terms and conditions, in accordance with corporate reinsurance guidelines and within given authority levels. You will also support management in setting the strategic direction of our assumed reinsurance business. You will develop relationships with a range of ceding company personnel and alternative distribution sources to ensure profitability of our reinsurance portfolio.
This position can be located in any of our offices within the U.S, with a preference for the Midwest/Central regions, working on a hybrid schedule (3 days in the office, 2 days remote)
Key functions include but are not limited to:
Reinsurance Underwriting (50%)
• Evaluate ceding insurance company's financial standing, operational strategy, and industry trends to determine whether to accept the business, and if so, under what terms for renewal and new business
• Perform exposure and experience analysis on renewal business by combining knowledge and experience with available information on ceding insurance companies
• Assess proposed structure, the ceding insurance company`s operations and anticipated hazards, losses, expenses, financial strength, loss experience, and other underwriting considerations
• Evaluate treaty contract and contract language, and manages documentation work flow; ensure the contract outlines the risks, intended coverage, and other fields required specific to the contract within given authority limits
• Complete all required steps on account set up, documentation, and account management
• Strategize and create opportunities within the Insurtech distribution model that support business development and growth
• Network within the insurance industry uncovering new business opportunities for both traditional reinsurance and in-house developed turn-key products such as cyber liability and workplace violence
Account Management (15%)
• Develop and cultivate effective business relationships with assigned ceding companies as well as internal and external clients in order to retain profitable business for our operation
• Meet with clients regarding renewal assumed reinsurance business
• Collect, maintain, develop, and document all underwriting data to the assumed reinsurance portfolio
• Interact with clients and others during pre-renewal season, submission process, audits, and midterm changes for treaty accounts
Project Management (15%)
• Drive collaboration in cross divisional project teams
• Report project team efforts to the stakeholders to assure consistent communication continues among the project team and their sponsors
The Senior Litigation Specialist’s job function includes efficiently and effectively handling advanced-level, primarily litigated, commercial first-party property and/or third-party general liability losses in a “paperless” environment. An ability to communicate both verbally and in written form in a prompt, courteous and professional manner is essential.
• Reviews and sets up new loss assignments in a timely manner in compliance with Department guidelines and best practices.
• Establishes appropriate initial loss and expense reserves and continue to regularly evaluate the file for adequacy, accuracy and adherence to reserving guidelines.
• Analyzes and interpret policy language in conjunction with specific loss facts to reach appropriate coverage decisions.
• Drafts frequent and complex coverage correspondence, including reservation of rights and coverage disclaimers in compliance with various state statutes and regulations.
• Composes a variety of other detailed correspondence to insureds, claimants, attorneys, agents and Regulatory agencies.
• Proactively manages primarily litigated claim files from inception to closure, including identification and investigation of coverage, liability and damage issues, determination and efficient execution of an appropriate plan of action, and prompt, economical file resolution, in compliance with Department guidelines and best practices.
• Appropriately and clearly documents all claim file activity, including current strategy, plan of action and exit plan in file notes.
• Consistently demonstrates comprehensive coverage analysis, investigation, evaluation and negotiation skills at an advanced level.
• Directs and control the activities and costs of numerous outside vendors including defense counsel and coverage counsel, experts and independent adjusters.
• Effectively presents and discusses loss facts and issues in roundtable discussions to peers and members of management at all levels.
• Composes and transmits in a regular and timely basis frequent Large Loss Reports and other detailed reporting documents as appropriate.
• Manages and monitors file caseload through the use of various resources.
• Obtains all required state adjuster licenses and maintain them as required via compliance with mandatory continuing education requirements.
• Other duties may be assigned.
• Serves as a technical resource within the Department through mentoring and knowledge-sharing, whether one-on-one, in small groups, or presentations to larger groups.
• Meets with intern personnel and others as needed to provide job function overview and/or specific subject-matter training.
• Occasional participation in projects and initiatives lead by other departments and/or W. R. Berkley companies, including audits, workshops, focus groups, task forces, etc.
• Initiates appropriate communication with members of management and other Departments.
• Attends internal and external seminars and other training events and provides feedback to peers and/or members of management.
As our Risk Services Specialist, you'll be a critical part of our business as you survey commercial agribusiness operations and consult with owners, managers, employees, agents and underwriting to determine the type and level of exposures present and controls needed. You'll determine the customer’s ability to control the exposures by gathering information through physical surveys, program audits, loss history analysis, comparison to industry standards and customer interviews. You'll help customers by providing training, mentoring, specialized technical advice and counsel to their staff. And you'll partner with our underwriting teams with risk selection and ongoing account management.
This role will be fully remote/work from home and may be located in Oregon or Washington. #LI-AV1 #LI-Remote
We'll count on you to:
- Utilize your experience and technical expertise to survey large or complex operations which are most often commercial agribusiness properties such as buildings, industrial operations, commercial agribusiness operations and commercial vehicles to evaluate physical conditions, safety practices, and hazardous situations according to knowledge of safety standards, established underwriting guidelines and governmental regulations.
- Observe business operations and management practices to determine safety issues and hazards.
- Analyze history of accidents and claims and inspects scenes of accidents to determine causes and to consult in development of accident prevention programs.
- Measure insured area(s), calculates frontage, records description and amount of stock, and photographs or drafts scale drawings of properties to identify factors affecting risk acceptability and insurance premiums.
- Prepare timely written reports and correspondence of findings and recommendations for risk improvement.
- Consult with insured in regard to activities and programs to control losses and improve safety. Confer with employees of insured, provides informational materials and conducts training as needed to induce compliance with safety standards, codes and regulations.
- Provide training, mentoring, specialized technical advice and counsel to internal staff regarding regulations, hazards and controls associated with area(s) of expertise.
- Maintains knowledge of the industry through association involvement i.e. regulatory standards (OSHA, DOT) and local and national codes (NFPA) through participation in continuing education opportunities
The Underwriting Director reports to the Chief Underwriting Officer and manages an assigned commercial underwriting function and staff through delegation of underwriting authority.
As a Middleware Engineering Co-Op at Berkley Technology Services, you’ll gain direct exposure across various activities in support of the Middleware Engineering Team’s areas of responsibilities – Websphere Application Server, Liberty, Tomcat, Apache Web server, Business Rules, Enterprise Service Bus, MQ, Portal, BPM, Filenet, Quadient, and Ansible Automation. You will also have opportunities to work with other teams including both development and infrastructure teams. You would also work with Enterprise Content Management assisting with supporting our Imaging application and possibly some .Net programming for the critical software programs that we’ve built to support it.
Additionally, you will:
- Proactively support Middleware technologies.
- Assist with new environment build-outs for various applications
- Build and maintain automation workflows
- Patch and upgrade systems to reduce tech deficit
- Organize and implement initiatives related to vulnerability management to resolve issues for Apache, Java, Tomcat, and other application servers
- Assist in managing the configuration management database (CMDB) along with validating metrics coming from automation and monitoring tools
- Work on ServiceNow requests and incidents to learn what it is like to do Infrastructure-related support from day to day perspective, that usually will consist of working with many different application teams in BTS to help them with their JVM needs and associated platforms.
The Underwriting Associate is responsible and accountable to manage their own portfolio of renewal business. The successful candidate will be expected to work closely with their assigned brokers and Berkley Luxury Group underwriters to maximize profitability and growth of their book and the main point of contact for inforce business. All activities are delivered in a manner consistent with a focus on customer service, quality, and timeliness. Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Analyzing renewal business and execution of underwriting and pricing strategy
- Verifying data from numerous internal and external sources and evaluating impact to overall projected profitability of the risk
- Independently gathering and reviewing account specific information and summarizing findings to help make critical decisions
- Reviewing Loss Control and valuation reports to ensure adequate risk management measures are in place and buildings are properly insured to value
- Managing account processing and servicing for designated accounts within their individual level of authority
- Effectively communicating with brokers, underwriting and other individuals to secure the necessary information to accurately complete transactions
- Maintaining a strong working knowledge of all software applications that support the underwriting role and responsibilities
- Communicating with claims and accounting to resolve open issues or provide requested information
- Providing a high level of customer service and achieving or exceeding departmental service level standards
- Maintaining strong working relationships with colleagues and management staff
- Actively participating in team discussions, problem solving and best practice development
- Contributing to the continuous improvement of processes and procedures
- All other duties as assigned
The payroll administrator is responsible for all aspects of payroll processing and preparation in a fast-paced environment for all domestic US employees for multiple Operating Units and states. The Administrator ensures accuracy and efficiency of multi state and multi company payrolls, levels of customer service, data integrity, and calculating special payments (incentives and bonuses) consistent with local, state and federal wage and hour laws.
• Performs all activities necessary to process multiple semi-monthly payrolls, including filing tax reports, processing levies and garnishments, reviewing Workday integration data for accuracy, preparing payroll transactions and preparing special reports
• Proactively identifies areas for process improvement, innovation and opportunities for efficiency and synergy
• Calculates New Hire, Termination and Leave of Absence payroll transactions
• Prepares and processes payroll via Workday Payroll. Responsible for payroll review and coordination of any necessary research or contact with payroll vendor
• Monitors submissions of approved Workday timesheet data
• Processing RSU/Dividend/Deferred Compensation Payments
• Resolving payroll discrepancies, answering questions, and responding to requests for payroll information.
• Working with OSV and ADP to process all required payroll tax amendments as required
• Processing semi-monthly funding and resolution of file errors with Fidelity.
• Processing semi-monthly benefits funding and resolution of file errors
• Effectively and professionally communicates payroll-related matters to all levels of staff and management, including the most senior levels of management
• Ensure company payroll matters are anticipated and addressed in a proactive fashion
• Perform compliance checks on payroll-related matters (against both legal and company policy requirements) and reporting violations
• Employee Self Service administration and login troubleshooting
• Establish/maintain employee records according to policy and in compliance with federal/state/local regulations
• Troubleshooting of Direct Deposit Banking Issues/ACH Rejects
• Provide necessary support to human resources, accounts payable, corporate accounting, and payroll-related and tax-related vendors
• Review and reconcile company payroll invoices as necessary, for accuracy
• Implement and assure compliance with wage and hour laws and company policies related to payroll.
• Providing required KPMG Sox/Audit data.
• Ensure the accuracy, validity, and timeliness of all payroll-related tax filings and tax issuances (such as the annual W-2s).
• Ensure proper quarterly state and earning by state reporting.
• Provide the Workers Compensation Audit detail to our Workers Compensation vendor annually.
• Provide the Annual Finance Economic Census Report Data to the corporate finance team.
• Additional duties as assigned
A leadership role with responsibility for the coordination and implementation of the Underwriting review process. Extensive and diversified technical property, casualty and specialty underwriting experience will be utilized to evaluate W. R. Berkley’s Business Units’ underwriting practices and procedures based on their business strategies, focus, guidelines and financial return goals. The Leader will work with a team of underwriting experts from other W. R. Berkley Business Units or outsourced partners and communicate results and value-added recommendations to Senior Management.
Reviews include examination of individual underwriting files for: risk selection; underwriting; pricing, use and adequacy of rating models; wordings including coverage provided and other terms and conditions; rate rule and form compliance; limits management; use of loss control and/or risk management, use of facultative reinsurance; and quoting, binding and issuance process. In addition, the process can include an evaluation of the management of producers and distribution channels, delegated underwriting authorities, service standards, aggregations, exposures, emerging issues and interaction with Claims and Actuarial functions.
• Lead a value-added Underwriting review process that provides Management with an independent assessment of the Underwriting practices of the Business Unit’s portfolio and/or a specific class of business.
• Develop and maintain relationships and communication with corporate Segment Heads, Actuaries, SVP Enterprise Risk Management and Corporate Claims.
• Continuously improve the Underwriting review process and reporting procedures through automation, standardization and a current understanding of the underwriting environment, market conditions, competition and other factors facing the industry.
• Ensure that reviews are well planned, thorough and useful and achieve the goals of confirming and enhancing underwriting, risk selection, pricing and processes at Business Units
• Maintain and improve necessary skills to conduct a review and report on the underwriting practices, pricing, and risk selection.
• Utilize product level knowledge to consider whether the Business Unit’s pricing and underwriting policies and other procedures are applied correctly and consistently.
• Assess the effectiveness of the organizational structure, staffing, and management information.
• Analyze key performance metrics in order to determine whether the Business Units are achieving Operating Plans and goals.
• Staff and plan the review (reviews are primarily staffed with Underwriters from W. R. Berkley’s other Business Units).
• Lead interviews with departmental personnel and Senior Management.
• Coordinate the work of the review team members.
• Document the work performed and the findings.
• Identify opportunities for improvement.
• Lead closing meetings and deliver feedback.
• Prepare written reports and recommendations.
• Follow- up on implementation of recommendations.
W. R. Berkley companies nationwide are looking for professional and enthusiastic college students to join their organizations as Claims Interns who will work closely with key team members to learn and participate in all aspects of claims handling for the business. This is a summer internship, approximately 10-12 weeks in length. Duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Deepen understanding of Commercial Property and Casualty policies in order to evaluate coverage for claims.
- Initiate handling of new claims in order to implement coverage and claim evaluation skills.
- Attend Claims Committee and underwriting meetings.
- Learn litigation management of claims.
- Conduct research projects.
- Assist Claims Managers and Superintendents as needed.