The Senior Catastrophe Analyst will be part of team that has expertise in natural hazards, catastrophe risk, and insurance risk modeling. This is an opportunity for a candidate with up to 10 years catastrophe modeling experience.
The primary functions of the role include:
- Modeling North American natural perils and terrorism accumulations for property and workers’ compensation business lines for several of the Group’s operating companies
- Communicating modeling results with the operating companies, and assisting them in fully utilizing these results in their pricing and exposure management
- Maintain regular communication with the operating companies to understand business needs
- Contribute and provide data and information to support rating agency returns and reinsurance placements
- Become active participant in catastrophe management team by sharing knowledge, expertise, and information
- Collating and reporting on catastrophe aggregations
- Assisting with corporate reporting on catastrophe modeling
- Assisting in the development of broad exposure-based models to estimate potential natural peril losses in business lines that do not fit within the commercial cat models
- Developing and implementing reporting and data solutions using SQL Server
- Participating in the design of operations and procedures to improve Catastrophe Modeling process
- In-depth validation of vendor catastrophe models including evaluation of new model releases
- Assist in Group assessment of potentially exposed policies during “live” catastrophe events
This challenging and rewarding role involves a high level of interaction with our operating companies, providing catastrophe modeling and analysis through the entire modeling cycle.
Assistant Vice President, Life Sciences Production Underwriter
Location: Flexible Naperville, IL or Ewing, NJ.
The Life Sciences Production Underwriter reports to the SVP, Global Field Underwriting Officer and as a key contributor within the Berkley Life Sciences organization is responsible for the new business marketing and production, renewal underwriting and service of business for an assigned group of producers. Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Building strong relationships with brokers to ensure you meet or exceed financial goals including growth, profit, retention, and new business.
- Responsible for account solicitation, risk selection and analysis including the corresponding documentation, pricing and marketing of Berkley Life Sciences products and services for new and existing customers.
- Business development results for assigned territories
- Identifying opportunities for account rounding.
- Providing technical support to producers and insureds
- Staying current with all compliance, procedural and workflow changes.
- Working collaboratively and effectively with, underwriting associates, operations, legal, home office underwriting and claims
As the Regional Vice President, you will be responsible for all activities related to objectives and plans for the Capitol Region. The role will provide strategic direction to enhance marketing and underwriting throughout the region.
- Develops and monitors the overall plans and objectives of the region.
- Works closely with Senior Management team to develop and achieve company strategies.
- Responsible for the management and development of the agency force in the assigned territory.
- Implements the marketing and underwriting strategies for the region with the technical assistance of the Home Office.
- Guides and shape underwriting quality assurance, price, rate and exposure monitoring, price adequacy and risk selection.
- Utilizes organizational strategy to guide and align region with company objectives and goals.
- Supervises and develops all regional personnel either directly or through their managers.
- Assists in the development and implementation of company strategies, especially as they apply to their region.
- Responsible for all aspects of customer relations for their region.
- Monitors competition regularly by reviewing hit ratio and retention information, non-renewed business, discussions with agents, reading trade publications and reviewing information available from State Insurance departments.
- Conduct file reviews and manage the risk selection process.
- Manage overall book of business by analyzing elements including but not limited to loss ratio, mix of business, item count and premium growth.
- Monitor and maintain service standards on an ongoing basis.
- Contributes to Berkley Mid-Atlantic's success by developing departmental and individual staff goals; measuring results, rewarding achievements or taking corrective action, as necessary.
- Develops employees through coaching, training, providing ongoing and constructive feedback, and through regular performance and salary reviews.
- Retains staff by managing responsibly and creating a positive work environment.
- Keeps abreast of industry developments, particularly those which impact his or her area(s) of responsibility.
- Understands Berkley Mid-Atlantic's business and the factors that affect its success.
- Communicates regularly and effectively with staff, both as a team and individually.
Senior level risk control technical specialist or expert in respective area of specialty; responsible for high level risk assessment, evaluation and/or delivery of risk control technical consulting services and support on the most complex risk exposures; building strategies, best practices and tools to support field risk control operations and technical services group outcomes.
- Responsible for providing high level industry segment technical expertise, training and consulting to support field risk control operations in achieving risk reduction outcomes and core organizational objectives through verbal, written, and on-site joint risk assessment.
- Independently, as member of group, or leader of team, identifies priority technical projects, research initiatives and key sources of loss within industry market segment or area of specialty to develop specialized products, resources, training and reports to assist in the recognition and mitigation of key risk exposures.
- Responsible for driving technical excellence for area of specialty throughout the organization and in support of business partners for the purpose of raising technical knowledge and understanding of new technologies, equipment, and regulations impacting industry segment, negatively or positively, to more timely identify alternative business and risk reduction methods, strategies, and solutions.
- Develops and submits results based, outcome oriented recommendations, action plans, and risk reduction opportunities utilizing specialized skill set, knowledge, and expertise. Assists in the planning, development, and facilitation of risk control workshops, seminars and other training for internal and external business partners. Measures effectiveness of technical improvement initiatives specific to industry segment and presents performance results to management.
Carolina Casualty is looking for a talented and experienced specialty auto insurance professional who will be responsible for overseeing the Specialty Auto operations. This person will be working closely with the Senior leadership and Underwriting team on designing, developing, and launching the new program.
- Manage risk approvals within authority while achieving the underwriting budget and service goals of the unit
- Supervise the underwriting profitability of the unit; underwriting and pricing of business and the identification of classes of business to be developed
- Interface with other functional support units in the company such as Claims, IT, and Finance to facilitate meeting the unit objectives
- Participate in the producer management process of the company, including business development for the assigned unit; interface with Sales/Marketing on producer activities and participate in producer visits
- Assist in the performance of underwriting audits as well as perform internal Underwriting audits
- Develop policies, procedures and best practices to be implemented within the department
- Identify and develop training activities for new & existing employees
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of current industry trends, issues & regulatory requirements
- Communicate on a timely basis with fellow underwriting professionals regarding issues of competition, acquisitions/mergers, legal decisions and other pertinent information relative to the insurance underwriting and/or claims area
- Develop premium goals and loss ratio targets for both Underwriters and agents
- Learn how our business works at all levels of the organization and customer base (internal, policyholders, agents, etc.)
- Participate in planning the user experience for all aspects of our digital portal
- Take a leading role in developing our portal and future offerings
- Develop and implement projects (research, sketch, code, test, roll out), involving stakeholders across the organization
- Stay on top of trends and new technology - Identify future tools and strategy, and create the business case for adoption and implementation
- Work closely with the IT and Leadership teams to manage timelines, resources and communication strategy
This position will be providing overall requirements gathering, design, development and support of one or more company applications for the various subsidiaries of the corporation.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates a robust understanding of all functional and technical aspects of a system.
- Can produce significant new system functionality or defect resolution with minimal direction.
- Creates design specifications that demonstrate an understanding of most interfacing systems and supported business processes. (can understanding business processes go to the developer/analyst)
- Routinely proposes improvements to a system to improve supportability or usability.
- Can perform adequate peer review on any changes in the system.
- Can be consulted to provide recommendations to solve business issues based on experience and knowledge of current technology.
- Demonstrates solid development processes including code review, documentation, and unit testing.
- May provide rotating on-call support of production systems.
- Ensure high-performing and scalable solutions by proactively monitoring and assessing various performance metrics both pre and post-implementation.
- Provide end user mentoring and training in 1-1 and small group settings.
- Partner with the various subsidiaries to create a vision for future advancement of our applications.
- Travel for this position is approximately 5-10%.
As a strategic partner, the Assistant Vice President works with the Vice President of Human Resources (VP HR) and Operating Unit Leadership to align and support the VP HR with the execution of the talent strategy and operating unity strategic initiatives. This role works closely with Leadership and Group HR to consult, provide advice and guidance as it relates to talent-related activities including but not limited to: recruitment and selection, staff retention, performance management, talent development, compensation planning and employee relations.
The Assistant Vice President fulfills the primary responsibilities of the role by executing the following duties and tasks:
- Consults and counsels with leaders on performance management, talent development, salary administration, succession planning, recognition, training gaps, employee relations, employee conduct, etc.
- Guides and coaches leaders through actions related to formal disciplinary procedures, jointly determines appropriate course of actions; reviews and provides suggestions for performance improvement plans; and ensures legal compliance with aid of VP HR and/or legal counsel when necessary
- Proactively identifies areas for process improvement, innovation, and opportunities for efficiency and synergy
- Partners with management to improve employee engagement and increase productivity and retention, this includes coordination of community or company events, e.g.
- Confers with leaders to identify staffing needs, job specifications, job duties, qualifications, skills and competencies
- Partners with recruiting on internal and external recruitment efforts for all positions
- Partners with hiring managers to ensure proper department on-boarding tasks including: 30/60/90 day reviews, survey analysis, etc.
- Partners with the hiring manager to ensure required timely completion of new hire I-9’s; and finding alternative sources to complete new hire’s I-9 for off-site/remote/employees. Updating I-9 verifications in HireRight as required.
- Assists in the development and delivery of management and/or employee training sessions related to strategic initiatives, performance management, employee engagement, succession planning, etc.
- Actively researches, creatively designs and implements effective methods to educate, enhance performance and recognize performance; advising and collaborating on the development and administration of recognition programs with Group HR
- May lead or participate in special and/or cross-functional project teams related to Company and/or TCR strategic initiatives
- Identifies, evaluates and resolves employee relations issues such as employee complaints, harassment allegations and civil rights complaints
- Conducts, Analyzes and reports on trends related to employee relations activities; Reviews exit interviews to analyze reasons for separation and to identify trends
- Assists employees with developing personal strategies or action plans related to the workplace, e.g., career development, performance improvement, peer/manager conflict, communication, etc.
- Administers initial and ongoing Visa and Immigration requirements
- Administers one – time – payments in Workday including: Sign On Bonus/Severance/Tuition Reimbursements
- Additional duties as assigned
Key Risk is looking for an enthusiastic individual who wants to learn account management and technical knowledge of workers compensation claims.
- Interface with Underwriting, Risk Management, and clients in controlling costs and loss ratios
- Conduct investigation of workers' compensation claims assigned
- Handle all technical aspects of claims, including coverage, disability benefit management, medical management, litigation management, file management, subrogation, reserving and settlement
- Maintain and demonstrate knowledge of the Workers' Compensation Act and Rules and Regulations in jurisdictions assigned
- Immediately notify management of large exposures and comply with reinsurance reporting requirement
- Monitor expenses and effectiveness of inside/outside vendors
- Assume full responsibility for all phases of account management for accounts as assigned and inform management of any unfavorable trends
- Actively work with mentor in monitoring loss ratio for accounts assigned
- Participate in client meetings for training on claims issues and assist with claims service meetings for new accounts as requested
Key Risk is looking for an enthusiastic and experienced underwriter to join our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for contributing to achieving and exceeding the regions’ profit plan through proper risk selection, agency management, and communication of Key Risk’s value proposition.
- Underwrites accounts up to $750,000 annual premium
- Manage a book of business $5,000,000 to $7,000,000
- Develops and maintains relationships with 10-15 agencies
- Responsible for a moderate number of agencies including partners with Advantage and/or Premier status within our Key Alliance agency structure
- Achieves/exceeds planned accident year loss ratio, rate change, renewal retention and inforce premium goals
- Takes initiative to recommend potential improvements in underwriting principles, techniques or appetite
- Complies with insurance filings and regulatory requirements
- Research new market niches, serve as an industry lead, and participate in special projects
- Establishes a knowledge base of agency needs, staff, target markets, and contracted insurers
- Performs agency evaluations and establishes agency goals within required time frames and expectations
- Participates effectively in new and renewal team sales activities and Client Service Management (CSM) meetings to obtain and retain profitable business
This two year internship opportunity provides experience in underwriting support services and exposure to underwriting. As a part of the internship, you will work with our Underwriting Services team learning about our Express Rate product. The duties will include:
- Processing applications through our online rating system will be the primary duty during the course of the internship. This will include working closely with our staff to ensure a quality product is delivered to our customers.
- Orientation to underwriting preparation: This will include exposure to industry specific resources such as proprietary rating programs, ReferenceConnect, AM Best, UW Workbench, Marshall Swift & Boeckh, Agency Portal, etc.
- Exposure to development opportunities (both industry specific and personal development) to include but not limited to Insurance self-study courses, online tutorials, etc.
Your second year experience will include:
- Continued work processing applications through our online rating system and providing feedback to 1st year interns on their application processing work. A key component of your second year will be working with the incoming class to assist them in learning the skills necessary for the internship program.
- Shadowing an Underwriter and learning more about the underwriting thought process.
- An opportunity to take an additional online CIC course outside the UACIC criteria.
- Shadowing Loss Control on visits, participating in agency visits, and exposure to regular business meetings.
- Exposure to the Regional Vice President and discussions on the operations of a Property & Casualty Insurance Carrier.
Do you want to be part of a dynamic and growing organization that encourages creativity, collaboration, innovation and individual expression? Are you an insurance professional who wants to think “outside the box” in creating products, underwriting and servicing customers? Berkley Mid - Atlantic is a dynamic company where, everyone’s voice counts and we expect to hear from everyone. If you want to work in a unique insurance company like no other, come explore career options with us.
- Gather appropriate information to profitably underwrite a variety of Middle Market commercial risks.
- Research, formulate and implement solutions for complex issues and accounts.
- Determine final coverages and pricing for commercial risks within assigned authority level.
- Review claims and loss information on individual risks. Use this information to identify and re-evaluate accounts and develop strategy for dealing with exposures and frequency issues.
- Take a lead role relative to Key Account review and recommendations.
- Take ownership of your underwriting territory through strong book management skills.
- Work to develop and maintain agency relationships with a focus on long-term profitability and growth.
- Work in collaboration with Loss Control partners to focus on controlling exposures and maintaining controls. Join Loss Control on visits with individual accounts.
- Maintain established quality and service standards.
- Establish strong working relationships with key producers.
- Mentor less experienced underwriters and serve as a resource for others within the department as needed.
- Successfully build, manage and execute a New Business Pipeline.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Keeps abreast of industry developments, particularly those which impact his or her area(s) of responsibility.
- Understands Berkley Mid-Atlantic’s business and the factors that affect its success.
- Communicates regularly and effectively.
This role is responsible for performing premium billing and cash receipts activities, collections, and collateral administration. Also, will perform various general ledger activities including journal entries, reconciliations and account analyses. Conduct Premium audits and control testing and reporting.
- Support agency and direct billing of premiums, commission payments and deductible
- Monitor payment, perform collections, apply cash receipts, reconcile agent statements, etc.
- Execute premium audits and correspond with insureds and producers
- Maintain and reconcile general ledger accounts
- Prepare journal entries and financial statement account analyses
- Collaborate and coordinate with underwriters, W.R. Berkley Company employees, auditors, agents and others as needed
- Support SOX controls testing and reporting
- Perform other duties and/or projects as assigned
The Claims Superintendent will be responsible for determining and discharging the company's contractual obligations under its various policy contracts involving coverage analysis, investigation, legal defense, and loss and expense reserving.
- Incorporate all claims into company records and review for applicability of coverage.
- Present facts of claims, with recommendations, to committee as necessary.
- Establish initial loss and expense reserves. Maintain valid loss and expense reserves based on current investigation and legal discovery.
- Supervise activities of Independent Adjusters, investigators and defense attorneys to ensure that all claims are appropriately handled.
- Attend and participate in mediations/trials as necessary.
- Adhere to company procedures and guidelines as well as case law and statutory
- requirements when coverage is in question, and/or when paying or denying claims.
- Comply with reporting requirements of treaty and facultative reinsurers.
- Maintain current understanding of various unfair claim practices statutes.
- Prepare large loss reports where applicable.
- Additional tasks as assigned.
We are seeking a proven insurance leader with deep knowledge of commercial lines, data strategy, analytics and state of the art data science technology for our Head of Analytics role. This position offers the opportunity to build a data driven decision making culture and to define strategy for use of both basic and advanced analytics including artificial intelligence (machine learning and deep learning) to produce quality analytics and predictive modeling to support decisions and further WRBC goals. The preferred location is in Greenwich, CT but will consider locations in the tri-state area.
- Organize and lead analytics center of excellence.
- Participate in a data council to provide insight and input to the WRBC data strategy.
- Set annual project plan based on input from Segment heads and Operating Units. Projects focus on enhancing profitability and business functions (e.g., claims, pricing, risk selection, premium audit selection, submission triage) but also may be exploratory to answer business questions.
- Develop individual project plans, timetables and deliverables. With IT and Business (including actuarial) ensure that plan addresses data collection, model iteration, validation and operationalizing both model and model results. Regularly communicate project status vs plan.
- Keep a log/catalogue of projects, code and models so that knowledge can be shared.
- Work with Business and IT to ensure that Big Data (Hadoop) platform is appropriately structured, accessed, protected and utilized. Follow procedures established.
- Establish best practices for model use and validation as well as for basic analytics for business intelligence purposes.
- Work with Business and IT to: expand availability and use of internal data (both structured and unstructured); develop strategy for data access for analysis and leverage data across WRBC; and facilitate the evolution of self service data preparation and analytics. Contribute to decisions made about information value, quality and reliability.
- Work with Business and IT to expand availability and use of external data (both structured and unstructured). Participate in research on data available from external sources and support efforts to acquire and make usable.
- Keep abreast of latest machine and deep learning tools, methodologies and data sets (open source and proprietary). Test and evaluate.
- Provide input and counsel to operating units. Provide quality control via peer review Operating Unit models and algorithms, etc.
- Provide regular forums for sharing of information (e.g., analytics forums and showcases). Provide training as needed for actuaries and citizen data scientists on R and other tools.
- Build team of data scientists, wranglers, munchers, etc. either at corporate or in shared service areas. Define job roles, recruit candidates and then manage directly or indirectly team of data science professionals.
The Chief Underwriting Officer (CUO) is the senior executive responsible for the underwriting strategy of the Company. Reporting to the President, and working with both Field and Staff functional areas, the CUO designs, implements, and monitors the underwriting activities for all four of the Company’s customer segments: Construction, Specialty Casualty (Manufacturing, Products) and Professional Liability.
Among other responsibilities, the Chief Underwriting Officer oversees:
• New Product Development and product lifecycle maintenance:
• Develop and implement best practices
• Vetting new-product ideas from both internal and external sources
• Underwriting appetite, guidelines, forms, forms usage, terms and conditions, training, and communications
• Underwriting Liaison with IT, Operations, Actuary, Finance, Marketing and Claims
• Implementation, performance monitoring and feedback loop
• Creation and maintenance of Underwriting Guidelines for all customer segments
• Quality and Compliance, including peer reviews, monthly management reviews, coordination of WRBC reviews, and development and implementation of automation support for the underwriting audit process
Referrals – highest-level underwriting authority for all four market segments, exercising sound judgment in risk selection, exposure analysis, pricing and coverage in evaluating and approving or rejecting individual-risk submissions from the field organization
• Training – the CUO will design and implement underwriting training programs to ensure that field underwriting staff perform at the highest skill levels
• Support Vela’s Field Management Team with their risk-selection strategies at both product-line and territorial levels
• Underwriting Analysis of the Programs (Books) - Monitor and analyze underwriting performance and results for desired underwriting outcomes, including heavy collaboration with Finance, Actuarial and IT
• Regulatory Issues - support, and coordinate with, Finance and Operations
• Develop and/or strengthen interdepartmental relationships with:
• Other disciplines
• Other WRBC member companies.
• Monitor and communicate emerging underwriting Issues that are relevant to Vela's current and future planned strategies, programs and processes.
• Leading Change
• Change Management
• Underwriting Culture Change
The VP Chief Actuary will provide strategic direction and leadership to the Company's Actuarial function by proactively participates with the senior management team in developing and executing strategic plans to achieve the Company’s business objectives.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains actuarial policies and standards, ensuring they are consistent with regulatory and corporate standards.
- Ensures actuarial valuations comply with all relevant regulatory, accounting and professional standards and requirements.
- Leads the completion of Rate Reviews, Ratemaking and Actuarial Indications including support of forecasting investment rate of return, underwriting expense provisions, frequency/severity and exposure trends. Innovates and improves both accuracy and efficiency in the processes.
- Leads the regular preparation of adequate loss and expense reserves estimates, including any financial information pertaining to reserves needed by the Financial Department, company management, or corporate.
- Adapts and develops rating methodologies for both existing and new company products using advanced techniques to incorporate new variables, etc., in pursuit of a competitive advantage and creation of economic profit opportunities.
- Leads the actuarial component of the company's planning processes. Collaborates on the long-range planning and forecasting of the Company to maximize Company performance over time.
- Identifies segments with profitable growth potential; identifies under-performing segments and proposes corrective actions to improve profitability.
- In conjunction with the Executive Team, evaluate and identify potential markets or opportunities external to the Company that will provide long term profitable growth.
- Performs advanced analytics and modeling techniques including but not limited to generalized linear modeling and other forms of multivariate analysis. This role is expected to build, refine and improve existing models as well as develop new techniques and applications to different areas of the company.
- Leads the innovation and efficiency efforts related to tools and analysis in support of Underwriting's pricing decisions with respect to large accounts as well as small commercial portfolio price adequacy analyses.
- Identifies, retrieves, and prepares data in support of actuarial analysis. Includes internal data and various forms of external data.
- Prepares and manages department budget and resources including explaining variances and related reporting.
- Develops and maintains relationships with other W.R. Berkley Claims Leaders to capitalize on business opportunities and efficiencies.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Company’s policies and applicable laws
- Creates a high performance culture through effective communication, quality goal setting and proactive management of performance.
- Provides regular and effective feedback, coaching and guidance. Establishes development plans for employees to address knowledge gaps and facilitate career growth.
- Partners with Human Resources to make hiring, termination and compensation decisions.
The Senior Database Developer will assist with the analysis of complex specifications and the development of an application design that will satisfy the immediate requirement as well as provide opportunities for long-term expansion. As a hands on Developer and Data Architect, complete database and application development using the most current tools implemented. Must be able to understand advanced database technology, clustering, and replication concepts at a detailed level and work well with vendors, SME's, engineers, management and customers. Support the strategic direction of our enterprise data warehouse, including the long-range planning, staffing, and technical architecture.
- Complete complex programming assignments and provide knowledge transfer to other IT staff regarding the details of the solution that was created.
- Participate in the resolution of moderate to complex application support issues and the development research into any issues that require programming changes.
- Participate in research and development efforts on all new versions of existing IT tools as well as the new toolkits being assessed by IT. Assist with resolution of any issues and provide guidance in both written and verbal format regarding the steps to use the new tools.
- Participate in a regular review of coding and documentation standards. Propose and implement continual improvements.
- Works with development and database administration personnel to ensure optimal database performance, evaluating and making recommendations regarding code design, application interaction, physical design, etc.
- Analyze database implementation methods to make sure they are in line with company policies and any external regulations that may apply
- Ensure logging/replication/clustering and scheduled ETL all perform optimally
- Advise on configurations/design using current industry best practices
- Help maintain the integrity and security of the company database
- Support technical development in designing, testing and implementing application changes.
- Experience with the tools required to build out of enterprise reporting and analytics capabilities, tools and functions.
- Develop processes for auditing data warehouses and ensuring data quality.
- Gather and analyze business requirements Architect / Design Data Warehouse infrastructure and solutions.
- Create application architecture diagrams, process flow diagrams, and prototypes to effectively communicate design ideas
- Utilize Business Intelligence tools to build and support dashboards
- Participate as a productive member of an agile team of developers
- Communicate well with product owners, customer support, and other team members
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Underwriters will be expected to promote profitable written premium growth and favorable loss ratios in accordance with BCIM Best Practices, Underwriting Guidelines, Line of Business risk appetite, and personal Underwriting Authority. Underwriters may also be required to oversee the efficiency and effectiveness of other Underwriters and Technical Assistants.
Surveys business operations and consults with policyholders and underwriting to determine the type and level of exposures and controls needed. Determines the customers; ability to control the exposures, by gathering information through physical surveys, program audits, loss history analysis, comparison to industry standards and customer interviews. Assists Underwriting with risk selection and ongoing account management.