Click column header to sort
The purpose of the role is to collaborate with and provide support to the Corporate Actuary team across a portfolio of diverse US and international P&C risk.
The first phase is to help consolidate and modernize key pieces of analysis and reporting across the group. This will evolve into more strategic, project-based work to provide targeted solutions to actuarial problems.
The position entails working in a dynamic environment, interacting with management and all insurance functions, including IT & Systems, Actuarial, Claims, Underwriting, Reinsurance, and Finance.
The candidate will be part of the Corporate Actuary team and will apply actuarial and data science to create both regularly-scheduled and project-based deliverables, including:
- Development and deployment of tools, best practices, and templates to help consolidate, standardize and accelerate key analysis and reporting, wherever there are opportunities.
- Perform testing and documentation of actuarial reserving and pricing in collaboration with operating entities and under the guidance of the Corporate Actuary team.
- Participate in discussions to provide observations and recommendations to operating companies from both a commercial and regulatory/actuarial standards perspective.
- Design and implement new management information to extract actionable insights from data.
- Help to manage, maintain, and provide data across multiple platforms and warehouses consistent with corporate data strategy and information sharing protocols.
- Be a resource for new and innovative ideas to continually challenge the status quo.
- Support operating entities with ad-hoc requests for actuarial support.
- In collaboration with the marketing team, develop, execute, and manage integrated digital marketing campaigns for W.R. Berkley and our 50+ operating units (OUs) worldwide.
- Help create, build, execute and monitor email campaigns—establish metrics, monitor and report performance for each campaign.
- Help create, build, deploy and assess webinars using GoToWebinar
- Offer a solid understanding of Google Analytics and other digital marketing analytic tools to assess campaign metrics
- Working knowledge of automated marketing platforms such as HubSpot and Marketing Cloud, and the ability to collaborate and implement initiatives and campaigns within such platforms
- Execute corporate website changes as needed within Kentico
- Maintain and enhance the Corporate Marketing portal within SharePoint
- Identify trends, insights and emerging technologies within the digital marketing space that will best support the Berkley brand and its various operating units
- General support of corporate marketing initiatives that may not be digital in nature
Under limited supervision, review, evaluate, negotiate and processes WC Claims of moderate/severe/catastrophic complexity, provide recommendations and strategies for resolution, and litigation management as appropriate. Collaborate with internal and external clients, and often interact with agents, claimants, and policyholders. The position is located in our Jersey City Office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyze and process workers’ compensation claims by investigating and gathering information to determine compensability and exposure on claims, handling multiple jurisdictions.
- Calculate and assign timely and appropriate reserves on claims and monitor reserve adequacy throughout the life of the claim.
- Develop and manage claims updating action plans as the claim progresses and bring the claim to an appropriate and timely resolution.
- Accurately calculate and timely pay benefits due pertaining to the jurisdictional guidelines.
- Operate within designated authority level and time constraints pertaining to payments and settlements.
- File appropriate forms per jurisdictional protocol, within statutory limits.
- Actively manage and guide the litigation process, ensuring timely and cost-effective claims resolution.
- Participate in claim reviews, which may require limited travel, and timely production of claim reports.
- Coordinate vendor referrals for additional investigation and/or litigation management.
- Use appropriate cost containment techniques including strategic vendor partnerships to mitigate overall cost of claims.
- Manage claim recoveries of all types, including but not limited to subrogation, Second Injury Fund recoveries, and Social Security offsets.
- Frequently collaborate with all appropriate parties involved with the claim, and clearly document that collaboration.
- Maintain professional internal and external client relationships.
- Actively execute timely and appropriate claims activities to ensure consistent delivery of quality claims services.
- Proactively manage all litigated claims by clearly documenting the litigation plan and budget, retaining competent counsel, communicating with counsel on a regular basis and clearly documenting the litigation action plan and strategy.
Who we are:
Berkley Alternative Markets Tech is in the business of insurtech. We’re a technology company that blends startup culture with a mission to drive forward five insurance brands within one of the nation’s premier insurance holding companies, W. R. Berkley. We promote the idea of “best idea wins,” through a process of build, break, and rebuild better. People think insurance is too complex, we don’t. Help us make it simpler.
About the job:
You will be part of a fast moving and cross functional software engineering team that has a business first approach to technical problem solving. Being a member of this team you would have the opportunity to contribute to transformation of the insurance business through technology.
About the candidate:
- A product driven mindset where you are constantly evaluating business value in engineering tasks and decisions.
- The courage and motivation to have evidence based discussions on multiple approaches to a single problem.
- Eagerness to learn new technologies and business processes.
- Effective collaboration skills and a team player attitude.
The Procurement Officer will play a critical role in leading, developing and implementing long-term strategies that focus on category-led strategic sourcing, effective contracting, data analysis, spend analytics and the end-to-end procure-to-pay process. The Procurement Officer will provide high quality service delivery to ensure all operating units can efficiently procure and obtain the best value for the goods and services needed to support their operations and the overall mission of W. R. Berkley Corporation. In addition, coordination with multiple functional areas will be imperative, including Accounting and Finance, Compliance, HR, Information Technology, Information Security, Legal, etc. The Procurement Officer will oversee the execution of daily management, operations and strategic initiatives across the procurement function, as well as develop measurable plans and procurement metrics to ensure that value, customer service and cost savings goals are met or exceeded.
- Develop and oversee a procurement department comprised of 2 to 3 procurement specialists besides the Procurement Officer.
- Provide strategic direction, vision and leadership to the procurement organization; coordination with functional areas; become a trusted advisor to executive leadership and internal stakeholders for procurement matters.
- Work with key stakeholders to develop, maintain, revise and communicate the overall policies, mission, vision, strategies and practices to ensure alignment with the needs and mission of W. R. Berkley Corporation.
- Manage collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including operating unit staff responsible for purchasing decisions. Communicate, develop strategic sourcing initiatives with stakeholder collaboration, solicit feedback and refine the strategic procurement process.
- Create and implement strategies that ensure procurement services are delivered in an effective and efficient manner and achieve high levels of client satisfaction relative to benchmarks and metrics.
- Establish multi-year plan with realistic projected savings. Ensure reported savings are verifiable.
- Establish, monitor and report service level goals, KPIs, and customer satisfaction criteria for procurement.
- Achieve significant ROI on cost of procurement.
- Maintain and establish consistent contracting policies and procedures that comply with existing laws, regulations and W. R. Berkley Corporation policies.
- Work to transform the organization into a best practices model for service delivery while delivering a close partnership with operating units and functional areas.
Berkley One, a Berkley company that caters to affluent Personal Lines insurance clients, is rapidly expanding and adding to the Solutions Specialist team in our Wilmington, DE office. This role’s primary objective is to deliver all that is great about Berkley One and to help our agents place business with us. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Customer Policy Support: deliver a personalized, effortless experience for our customers via phone, email or chat. Handle customer transactions smoothly, accurately and first time final. Be an advocate for the Company during first notice of loss interactions by displaying empathy and ensuring the situation is properly handled.
- Agency Policy Support: act as primary point of contact for agents to get their Berkley One questions resolved. Process individual policy work submitted by the agents via phone, email or chat. Answer policy inquiry questions and assist the agency with handling servicing needs. Assist agents with finishing their quotes and converting them into policies. Combine your sales and system savvy to drive profitable growth for the organization.
- Agent Technical Support: help agents with access, passwords, and myriad of other tasks. Remote into their computers to show them how to work in the system in real time. Provide “in the moment” training on the Customer Portal and Customer Mobile App so the agent is empowered to share with customers.
- Agent onboarding: enroll new agents/staff into our system, handle contracts, track agency license numbers and other licensing information, issue paperwork.
- Agent training: primarily responsible to deliver system training by hosting webcasts and offering live support to agents navigating the system to quote, endorse and manage their business. Systems include the PAS, billing, claims and agent portal, eSignature, IVANS download and other ancillary systems.
The Claims Client Services Manager will help maintain business relationships with current clients and assist in the on-boarding process of new clients. The Client Services Manager will help our clients to better understand the full potential of our services and products and act as liaison between the client and the Berkley Agribusiness Claims team.
Position can be remotely located.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Onboarding new clients by establishing themselves as point of contact and meeting with client to understand their business as well as claims service needs. Ability to set up system portal for access to claims information, discuss claims structure and address questions and concerns. Create client specific claims handling instructions for use by team in servicing accounts, seek agreement of claims, implement and follow up with customer in a proactive manner. For Loss Sensitive/Alternative Risk accounts, evaluate claims history to determine size and spend of client claims loss fund
- Build and solidify relationships with key clients and brokers by serving as a single point of contact for claim service needs. Effectively communicate Berkley Agribusiness Claims value proposition by coordinating with Underwriting and Business Development in support of acquisition of new business. Communicate claim handling philosophy/guidelines/services with brokers and agents by engaging customers and brokers to seek feedback on service offerings and satisfaction level. Evaluating and escalating claims level issues to the proper Claims leader as appropriate
- Participate and/or coordinate client stewardship by planning, coordinating, facilitating and conducting client claim reviews in a proactive manner in accordance with agreed service standard and client handling instructions. Evaluate and update existing claims special handling agreements, seek agreement of claims, implement and follow up with customer in a proactive manner. For Loss Sensitive/Alternative Risk accounts evaluate internal historical spend to determine adequacy of individual client claims loss fund.
- Research industry trends and service standards to ensure Berkley Agribusiness claims service offerings are in a market setting position. Collaborate with claims team to recommend service improvements and product offerings. Create and maintain claims data reporting and industry benchmarking tools for client and broker use.
The VP of Tax will report to the EVP, CFO and Treasurer of a Fortune 500 Insurance Company. This individual will be responsible for overseeing and managing the tax function and all internal and external relationships relating to tax. In addition, this individual should be a hands-on tax professional that will lead the development and implementation of global tax planning strategies, tax compliance, tax audits, financial reporting for tax, and special projects.
- Collaborate with functional and operational areas within the organization, including Corporate Finance and Actuarial, Investments, Human Resources, Legal, Corporate Development, Insurance Risk Management and operating units.
- Build strong relationships with business leaders and gain the trust of the senior management team by continually adding value to minimize tax liabilities and the overall success of the business.
- Manage and develop resources within the tax function.
- Develop and implement tax planning strategies across the domestic and international operations of the group in connection with numerous areas, including but not limited to M&A, investments, internal structuring, employment tax matters, etc.
- Prepares complex tax returns and tax research with the support of the tax function and external advisors
- Manage all tax audits and examinations, and negotiates settlement of disputed issues with all taxing authorities.
- Advises senior leadership on new legislation and trend impacting the company
- Annual and quarterly tax provisions including tax footnote disclosures for U.S. GAAP and statutory accounting purposes.
- Reviews tax information supplied by the company’s operating units, both domestic and international.
- Recognizes, anticipates and resolves tax issues; makes recommendations.
- Coordination and management of multiple external advisors.
- Strong team approach when working with colleagues.
Serving in the Federal Government Relations office, the Federal Government Relations Manager will provide business and administrative support for the Vice President of Federal Government Relations, including managing regulatory compliance activities for federal governmental relations, conducting research, assisting in the preparation of presentations and summaries of legislation and policy issues of importance to the company, tracking progress of key Federal issues, including tax policy, and facilitating support of the company’s political action committee (PAC). The position also assists the Vice President of FGR in arranging and managing travel, preparation of documents for hearings, briefings, and coalition activities, and the management of administrative compliance matters including timesheets, office budget, and public disclosures.
- Oversee and mange process, assure timely filings of compliance reports such as the quarterly federal Lobbying Disclosure Act (LDA) and bi-yearly LD-203 Political Contributions report, including maintaining and updated Federal Government Affairs Budget.
- Build and maintain external relationships to further company reputation and continued political contacts; facilitate interactions between senior management, Congressional members and staff, as well as other external affiliates;
- Represent the company in legislative engagement activities and political activities and events.
- Identify and track issues with potential impact on the company and work with company subject matter experts for analyses; work with external stakeholders
- Research, analyze and prepare information and make recommendations as appropriate
- Assist in development and maintenance of federal policy goals and reporting of the Federal Government Relations team
- Assist in coordination of special events, meetings and other communications with Senior Management, Congressional delegations and staff as well as other external affiliates.
- Answer incoming calls in an exceptional, positive, clear manner, schedule appointments, organize staff and coalition meetings, support setting travel itineraries, maintain office supplies, expenses, filing and scanning documents, data entry, and coordinate pick-ups and deliveries
- Maintain confidentiality at the highest levels and protect sensitive data at all times.
- Take personal initiative to prepare drafts of correspondence and other documents required on a timely basis.
- Provide superior proof-reading expertise to members of Government Relations and related legal teams.
- Assist Federal Government Relations with the corporate political contribution process including internal approval process and drafting PAC requests.
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with all.
- Oversee and assure timely, accurate filings of compliance reports
- Identify and track issues, work with key subject matter experts and external stakeholders.
- Represent the company at external events.
- Assists in coordination of special events.
- Coordinate all Washington DC office administration.
- Maintain the Federal office budget.
- Assist federal PAC activity.
This position will play a key role in success of business critical projects by defining overall solution architecture focusing on all domains of architecture including non-functional domains of the solution. This role may have responsibilities for multiple programs or projects at the same time. Most project resources are responsible for a single system with regard to things like re-usability, risk reduction, and simplicity. This role is responsible for representing these same types of interests with the overall solution in mind while balancing against the delivery timelines and budget. This role may also be pulled in to take on the responsibility of new technology research and implementations. This role will also maintain and socialize the long term roadmap and provide long term strategy for different technology platforms at different times.
Underwriters will be expected to promote profitable written premium growth and favorable loss ratios in accordance with BCIM Best Practices, Underwriting Guidelines, Line of Business risk appetite, and personal Underwriting Authority. Underwriters may also be required to oversee the efficiency and effectiveness of other Underwriters and Technical Assistants.
Binding Authority Brokers will be expected to bind policies which have profitable written premium growth and favorable loss ratios in accordance with Binding Authority Broker Guidelines, Line of Business risk appetite, individual Binding Authority Restrictions, and Corporate Entity Binding Authority Agreement and related limited Binding Authority Conditions and Restrictions. Binding Authority Brokers may also be required to oversee the efficiency and effectiveness of other Binding Authority Brokers and Technical Assistants.
- Analysis, rating, and pricing of New Business and Renewal risks.
- Preparation of Declination correspondence (when required).
- Completion/updating of data entry fields in Workflow Management System.
- Adherence Binding Authority Guidelines, Line of Business risk appetite, and personal Binding Authority.
- Development, maintenance, and management of producer relationships through visitations.
- Solicitation of additional information when needed.
- Evaluation of the performance of producer relationships to ensure Binding Authority Guidelines and goals are met.
- Awareness and maintenance of personal analysis and quality measures.
- Coordination of Loss Control services (as needed)
- Act as liaison with finance/accounting as needed.