Click column header to sort
Our leadership encourages a culture that empowers employees to question the status quo and seek innovative ways to continue to exceed the expectations of our customers. We believe our strength comes from building an exceptional team that embraces collaboration, growth and ownership. We currently have an opening for a Territory Sales Director for our Mid-Western Territory. If you share our vision and want to work for an organization that values your contribution, we want to hear from you.
Senior Risk Advisor, you would be responsible for analyzing losses to identify trends at individual businesses or within industries. This role will develop service plans for insured’s to eliminate or control causes of injury frequency and severity, safety management program deficiencies, manager/supervisor training and safety/regulatory program development. Communication is key as it will work closely with internal departments issues that pertain to risk assessment and selection and provide telephone consultation to insured’s on a variety of workers’ compensation risk management issues. The selected individual must be self-motivated and disciplined to work with minimal supervision to coordinate schedule, confirm meetings, and develop safety materials to educate, inform and motivate customer management. The Senior Risk Advisor is expected to exhibit a level of expertise in their area of responsibility, consistently exercising good judgment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Support the underwriting process by identifying and describing risks and controls for various industries to underwriter.
- Assist with the education of underwriting and claims personnel to expand their knowledge of industry operations, loss sources and control mechanisms.
- Provide consultation to customers on a variety of workers’ compensation risk management topics.
- Analyze and interpret customer injury trends, then develop and implement service plans that improve the quality of the customer’s safety program.
- Confirm customer safety and health service visits, and follow-up on recommendations for completion.
- Create safety programs and materials for specific industries addressing actual/potential loss trends.
- Various safety and health duties as assigned.
Berkley Industrial Comp is looking for an enthusiastic individual who is seeking a claims role with a career path with a company that has an exceptional in-house training program. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the Resolution Team by investigating medical only claims and assisting with related support duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage medical only workers' compensation claims by investigating and approving related medical treatment
- Interpret medical records applying medical terminology
- Frequent interaction with the medical providers and injured workers
- Assist Resolution Specialists by entering and confirming First Reports of Injury
- Process insurance data transactions to support the Resolution Team
Through classroom and on-the-job training experience, this position will learn to provide entry level loss control services to company clients/customers under the supervision of loss control management staff. It will also provide administrative assistance to more experienced loss control staff in completion of loss control surveys, loss analysis, reports and special projects.
- Develop insurance knowledge through inside and outside education training.
- With supervision, conducts basic, multi-line loss control surveys.
- With supervision, prepares detailed, written loss control reports/forms to relate loss control information to others.
- Submits loss control recommendations to assist in correcting deficiencies.
- Assists more experienced loss control staff by providing basic consultative loss control service to clients to assist client's management in developing an effective loss control program.
- Assists more experienced loss control staff in the planning/execution of workshops, seminars and other training for clients/potential clients.
- May assist more experienced loss control staff in the conduct of calls to existing /prospective clients and reinsurers for marketing purposes.
- Some Overnight travel required.
May perform other functions as assigned.
The Associate Underwriter will work in a team setting underwriting and servicing new and renewal accounts for the development and retention of our Professional Lines business.
- Production and underwriting of new and renewal account business.
- Compliance with underwriting documentation rules and guidelines.
- Maintain an acceptable underwriting profit.
- Adherence to Admiral underwriting guidelines and referral compliance.
- Development and maintenance of key broker/agent relationships.
- Participates in all internal company training and continuing education.
- Remains current on product releases as it pertains to Professional Lines.
- Attends strategic marketing calls to key brokers.
The Learning and Development Specialist works collaboratively with leadership and cross-functional departments to implement employee learning and development programs that are in line with the company’s strategic goals and objectives. This position assesses company-wide developmental needs to drive training initiatives and identifies and arranges applicable training solutions for leadership and employees. This position creatively designs and implements effective methods to educate, recognize and enhance performance.
- Conducts learning and development needs assessment to determine organization-wide current and future training needs by priority.
- Liaison with corporate training resources and outside resources /vendors as needed to provide necessary delivery of employee learning opportunities.
- Proposes learning and development programs to meet organizational objectives.
- Effectively implement solutions that maximize collaboration among employees across the organization.(Example: Onboarding)
- Obtains and/or develops effective training materials utilizing a variety of resources.
- Trains and coaches managers, supervisors and employees through development efforts.
- Develops train-the-trainer programs to assist and equip all departmental technical trainers to provide on-the-job training. (Example: Executive Underwriters).
- Designs and conducts training programs as well as documentation of training completion.
- Conducts follow-up studies of all completed training to evaluate and measure results and modifies programs as needed.
- Present survey results to business leaders, and conducts feedback sessions in order to promote an improved action plan for future needs.
- Monitors learning and development spending against the organizational and departmental budget.
Staff level position performing various duties related to the financial reporting process. Areas of responsibility include GAAP/Stat financial statement preparation and reporting, reinsurance accounting, reconciliations and monitoring cash flow. All functions focus on both accurate and timely completion based on the close schedule.
- Preparation of accurate GAAP financial statements and reporting packages as assigned, including journal entries, supporting schedules and analysis, meeting all due dates per closing schedule.
- Reinsurance accounting, reconciliation and reporting.
- Responsible for timely and accurate account reconciliations as assigned (including analysis and resolution of reconciling items).
- Responsible for the accuracy of results for assigned programs.
- Report and settle Reinsurance remittances on a timely basis.
- Monitor cash settlements from both Profit Centers and Reinsurers.
- Analyze program results and anticipate future impacts from changing terms.
- Prepares analysis and utilize reporting tools to obtain information from the general ledger and/or financial data warehouse as required to assist with the reconciliation and analytic duties related to position.
- Assists in the support of internal and external audits/examinations.
- Active pursuit of continuous process improvement and progress measurement (metrics)
- Working with Regional Presidents and Segment Leader, responsible for creating/establishing long-term vision and strategic direction for our “Flow/small” business segment
- Establish an enterprise economic model that leads to sustained growth/profitability
- “Shared”* P&L responsibility
- *In order to maintain proper alignment with Regional companies, our “Flow Business Center” will share 50/50 all revenues/profit/loss with all regionals.
- Build a “state-of-the-art” operation center & team utilizing leading-edge technology platforms
- Utilizing modeled underwriting & selection
- Automated operational approaches that streamline processes
- Create modern, delightful customer experiences that combine “real people” with self-selected features
- In conjunction with Regional Company Underwriting & Distribution Leaders, create territorial underwriting and distribution strategies that lead to consistent/superior growth & profitability
- Responsible for innovation culture creation that is consistent throughout the regional segment
- Build modeled underwriting selection and pricing components
- Build automated operational approaches that streamline
We are looking for a Sr. front-end developer who is creative, passionate and skilled at developing applications that run in the latest browsers. Responsibilities include working with user experience designers, engineers, business analysts and product owners to create the functional and visual implementation of a designed interface. You must be able to collaborate effectively as you will be taking an active role in defining the technical requirements for a web application.
- Work with WRBC companies, business analysts, technical staff, and project team members to plan, design, develop, implement and enhance the user experience of applications
- Identify exciting opportunities for adopting new technologies to solve existing needs and predicting future challenges
- Define and implement the front end architecture that will provide the best user experience, that is both scalable and reusable with cross browser capability
- Develop, Implement and support reusable interface components
- Provide mentorship and guidance to other UI Engineers
- Provide technical expertise for UI, front-end web and mobile development
- Advocate for browser as a platform technology within the organization
- Travel less than 10%
The purpose of the position is to bring both industry and legal technical expertise in the management of our largest and/or most complex claim matters. This will be a safeguarding / oversight role, working closely with the respective claim offices. Provide technical and strategic guidance for high exposure and complex claims, including coverage and/or bad faith litigation, being managed by in-house claim departments of multiple operating units. Assure that exposures are timely recognized, resolution plans are well formulated and executed. Effectively communicate with external business partners as well as colleagues in underwriting, actuarial and executive management.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Superior knowledge of all technical aspects of claims handling/management including investigation, coverage analysis, litigation management, evaluation, reserving and negotiation
- Inform other functional departments (underwriting, actuarial, finance)of positive/negative conditions noted during investigations which may impact company results
- Engage with reinsurance partners on claim issues and industry trends
- Drive favorable loss cost results by influencing, planning and guidance on individual claims.
- Provides ongoing analysis of technical material (i.e. case law, regulations) to determine the impact on claim operations and provides the necessary guidance and assistance to the claim office(s).
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as a mentor in the training and development of less experienced staff when necessary
- Strong interpersonal communication, presentation, consultative, and negotiation skills
- Work professionally and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Provide input and guidance on individual claim matters
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrate good organization (detail oriented) and prioritization skills; meet deadlines, multitask
- Demonstrate sound judgment; strong decision making and problem solving skills
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically is required
This two year internship opportunity provides experience in underwriting support services and exposure to underwriting. As a part of the internship, you will work with our Underwriting Services team learning about our Express Rate product. The duties will include:
- Processing applications through our online rating system will be the primary duty during the course of the internship. This will include working closely with our staff to ensure a quality product is delivered to our customers.
- Orientation to underwriting preparation: This will include exposure to industry specific resources such as proprietary rating programs, ReferenceConnect, AM Best, UW Workbench, Marshall Swift & Boeckh, Agency Portal, etc.
- Exposure to development opportunities (both industry specific and personal development) to include but not limited to Insurance self-study courses, online tutorials, etc.
Your second year experience will include:
- Continued work processing applications through our online rating system and providing feedback to 1st year interns on their application processing work. A key component of your second year will be working with the incoming class to assist them in learning the skills necessary for the internship program.
- Shadowing an Underwriter and learning more about the underwriting thought process.
- An opportunity to take an additional online CIC course outside the UACIC criteria.
- Shadowing Loss Control on visits, participating in agency visits, and exposure to regular business meetings.
- Exposure to the Regional Vice President and discussions on the operations of a Property & Casualty Insurance Carrier.
The Finance Director reports to the Regional CFO and works closely with Finance personnel across the region.
This highly visible role is a strategic and hands-on role that requires solid financial and operational acumen, strong leadership skills and in-depth knowledge of finance disciplines to ensure seamless delivery of finance support and financial management in the region. Under the direction of the regional CFO, the Finance Director gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes financial results to ensure the achievement of short- and long-term financial goals. As a key member of the Finance team, the Finance Director will collaborate with management to assist in delivering comprehensive, consistent and actionable analysis in support of the creation and maintenance of the long-range financial plan, continuous improvement activities aimed to maximize profitability and ROE.
- Ensures the delivery of timely and accurate reporting of all the countries where we operate in the Latin America Region (monthly/quarterly/year-end financial reporting, USGAAP, management & statutory reporting).
- Supports regional management in the development, implementation and monitoring of key metrics (KPIs) to enable better understanding of results for timely and effective decision making purpose.
- Oversees the timely preparation and reporting of the region’s annual business plan.
- Ensures that the organization has the appropriate processes and controls in order to manage, measure and control the risk of the business, in compliance with corporate governance, regulatory / Sarbanes Oxley compliance, etc.
- Supports the timely delivery of complete and accurate financial information to external auditors / regulatory examiners in support of their audits / examinations.
- Supports the Spanish Holding entity in the areas of: accounting, tax, regulatory & legal, and external audit.
- Provides ad hoc financial analysis as needed, including but not limited to scenario modeling, capital budgeting, and financial due diligence.
- Becomes a trusted partner and advisor to regional management.
- Recommends, develops, and implements policies and programs that guide the organization in maintaining and improving its competitive position and profitability.
- Work with WRBC on group level projects / system changes impacting the region, as required.
Responsibilities will include reviewing workers' compensation, auto, liability and property claim files to determine if subrogation from any source is feasible. You will manage assigned claims with a value up to $50K, document and maintain claim files, pursue subrogation from adverse parties and negotiate settlements; strong knowledge of insurance/subrogation concepts, practices, procedures and techniques as well as negotiation, analytical and organizational skills required. Additionally, duties consist of developing a national subrogation network for frequency driven claims and inter-acting with various claim groups.
Do you want to be part of a dynamic and growing organization that encourages creativity, collaboration, innovation and individual expression? Are you an insurance professional who wants to think “outside the box” in creating products, underwriting and servicing customers? Berkley Mid - Atlantic is a dynamic company where, everyone’s voice counts and we expect to hear from everyone. If you want to work in a unique insurance company like no other, come explore career options with us.
- Gather appropriate information to profitably underwrite a variety of Middle Market commercial risks.
- Research, formulate and implement solutions for complex issues and accounts.
- Determine final coverages and pricing for commercial risks within assigned authority level.
- Review claims and loss information on individual risks. Use this information to identify and re-evaluate accounts and develop strategy for dealing with exposures and frequency issues.
- Take a lead role relative to Key Account review and recommendations.
- Take ownership of your underwriting territory through strong book management skills.
- Work to develop and maintain agency relationships with a focus on long-term profitability and growth.
- Work in collaboration with Loss Control partners to focus on controlling exposures and maintaining controls. Join Loss Control on visits with individual accounts.
- Maintain established quality and service standards.
- Establish strong working relationships with key producers.
- Mentor less experienced underwriters and serve as a resource for others within the department as needed.
- Successfully build, manage and execute a New Business Pipeline.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Keeps abreast of industry developments, particularly those which impact his or her area(s) of responsibility.
- Understands Berkley Mid-Atlantic’s business and the factors that affect its success.
- Communicates regularly and effectively.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. These are functions that a person must be able to perform in the job, either unaided or with the assistance of a “reasonable accommodation”.
- Performs advanced analytics and modeling techniques including but not limited to generalize linear modeling and other forms of multivariate analysis. This role is expected to build, refine and improve existing models as well as develop new techniques and applications to different areas of the company.
- Identifies, retrieves, and prepares data in support of actuarial analysis through SQL, Essbase/SmartView, R and other data sources. Includes internal data (exposure, premium, loss, claims, price, etc.) and various forms of external data (bureau loss costs, bureau trends, macroeconomic data, market share, market pricing, etc.)
- Ensures the accuracy and suitability of data for the business need at hand. Manipulates data, performs preliminary analysis and interprets data through various analytics platforms. Summarizes and presents recommendations.
- Adapts and develops predictive models (both new and existing) using advanced techniques. This includes incorporating new variables, etc., in pursuit of a competitive advantage and creation of economic profit opportunities. Helps shape the overall advanced analytics strategy for the organization.
- Supports the transformation of business intelligence tools from static reporting to dashboards, increasing data visualization and availability, supporting cross-division collaboration and operationalizing advanced analytics.
- Supports the Actuarial function in identifying segments with profitable growth potential and underperforming segments. Assists in proposing corrective actions to improve profitability.
- In additional to regular modeling responsibilities, this person will use critical thinking skills and apply advanced modeling techniques, including but not limited to AI/Machine Learning, to provide insights and solve business problems including techniques such as classification and regression trees, random forests, neural networks, clustering, and other machine learning techniques.
- May participate in other departmental deliverables and activities such as enterprise risk management (including support for catastrophe management), reinsurance strategy and the traditional Actuarial techniques for rate reviews, loss reserving and planning. Provides innovation and leadership when applicable.
- Leads the innovation and efficiency efforts across all company departments.
- Provides support for two Berkley Operating Units: Berkley Luxury Group and Berkley Global Product Recall.
Basic Function and Scope:
Directly responsible for all operations and personnel issues in the claim department. Through file audits, employee appraisals or other avenues, monitors conformance of staff to company and industry standards, procedures and objectives.
- Responsible for providing day to day administrative and technical supervision and guidance to entire claims staff. Identifies and establishes workload standards.
- Develops procedures and policies to enhance and improve the processing, investigation, and settlement of claims. Reviews and approves settlements of complex and high dollar claims.
- Coordinates the administration of the quality control program to monitor and control department activities, and implements corrective actions as needed.
- Approves special handling procedures for specified accounts. Monitors staff for compliance with all statutory regulations, Unfair Claim Practices acts, Best Practices, and special handling instructions.
- Makes budget forecasts, performance reviews, and salary recommendations. Responsible for oversight of all staffing, training, and mentoring. Effectively communicates with all internal and external customers including corporate as required. Resolves personnel related problems within the department.
- For claims in litigation, tracks all scheduled trials, conducts department meetings for discussion of cases scheduled for trial, and decides which claims should proceed to trial. Maintains list of approved panel counsel attorneys and agreed rates. Directly handles those claims in litigation involving coverage disputes in which Berkley Entertainment or another Berkley company is a party.
- Reviews and approves all reservations of rights and denials of coverage for claims. Advises underwriting staff regarding coverage issues, and policy and endorsement form language.
- Directly supervises and mentors AVP’s and maintains a supervisor diary on their files.
- Responds to inquiries from regulatory agencies, and ensures department is in SOX compliance.
- Supports Company’s marketing efforts through account and broker visitations, timely service, designing of action plans to correct deficiencies and participates in presentations as required.
- Participates as an accountable member of the Management team and promotes company strategies and values.
This role is responsible for performing premium billing and cash receipts activities, collections, and collateral administration. Also, will perform various general ledger activities including journal entries, reconciliations and account analyses. Conduct Premium audits and control testing and reporting.
- Support agency and direct billing of premiums, commission payments and deductible
- Monitor payment, perform collections, apply cash receipts, reconcile agent statements, etc.
- Execute premium audits and correspond with insureds and producers
- Maintain and reconcile general ledger accounts
- Prepare journal entries and financial statement account analyses
- Collaborate and coordinate with underwriters, W.R. Berkley Company employees, auditors, agents and others as needed
- Support SOX controls testing and reporting
- Perform other duties and/or projects as assigned
W. R. Berkley Corporation is looking for a summer intern who is interested in accounting and corporate taxes. The right person will be exposed to various tax rules and requirements and gain a general understanding of the use of accounting data in the tax reporting process.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Work with Excel to organize accounting information and complete required computations
Work with tax software applications to input data
Prepare work papers to support computations and figures used in the tax process
Support tax department with various projects
Other job duties as assigned
- The Actuary is responsible for ensuring that price levels and loss reserves are adequate (Pricing and Reserving)
- The Actuary is responsible for assessing the profitability of the business being underwritten (Profitability Analysis)
- The Actuary is responsible for assisting finance with financial reporting requirements
- The Actuary provides management with research and analysis required for strategic initiatives
- Assists in the development, maintenance, and oversight of various databases, software, and other technological tools in support of Berkley Offshore
- Strong commitment to the WRBC/Berkley Offshore culture: innovative, transparent & engaging
- Collaborate with the underwriting leads of the three divisions (Energy Property, Energy Liability, and Marine) to meet there business needs from a pricing/profitability perspective
- Work with underwriting to monitor, evaluate and continue the development of Benchmark Pricing Tools for purposes of monitoring and measuring rate adequacy
- Work with the data management team in developing and maintaining data queries in Microsoft SQL Server to transform data from the database environment to reportable data as required for reserving and reporting needs
- Responsible for monthly rate monitor and actual versus expected reporting and analysis
- Responsible for quarterly reserving analysis including presenting reserve position to W.R. Berkley executive leadership
- Responsible for determining expected loss ratios during the annual budgeting process
- Responsible for profitability analysis to determine if desired returns are being realized
- Responsible for actuarial items needed for SOX compliance
- Assist finance with the preparation of quarterly financial statements, including Schedule P
- Provide analysis to assist with reinsurance renewals as needed
- Responsible for data calls or other requirements as necessary for business written through non-US legal entities (e.g. Solvency II)
- All other duties as assigned
The Business Intelligence Developer helps inform decision making and solve business problems by converting data into information, selecting relevant data from data warehouses, manipulating large datasets, building decision models and facilitating insightful solutions to complex problems.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads and/or assists in all phases of Analytics and Reporting requirements identification, design, development, and implementation.
- Conducts and facilitates requirements gathering sessions with internal and external customers.
- Interact with customers to present and interpret findings to develop recommendations for action.
- Work closely with project team to ensure that the end to end design and delivered solution meets business and data requirements.
- Develop and generate graphs, reports, presentations, and dashboards.
- Create and maintain requirements, design specifications, mapping documents, and reporting specifications.
- Understand and document business rules and value sets for attributes to meet customer requirements.
- Assist in the ongoing development of technical best practices for data movement, data quality, data cleansing and other ETL related activities.
- Develop and conduct unit and integration activities and assist in User Acceptance Testing.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.