Click column header to sort
Investigates and handles high severity and/or complex commercial casualty claims in a prompt, equitable manner by analyzing coverage, liability and damages, evaluating reserves, negotiating settlement or conclusion of claims. This will include handling litigated cases. Incumbent will travel within an assigned territory when necessary.
- Investigates loss, evaluates exposures, establishes accurate reserves and manages defense and settlement or conclusion of high severity and/or complex claims. Re-evaluates exposures and reserves during the life of the claim. Correctly enters claim data into claim and related systems for reporting purposes. Confers with Claims Supervisors, Claims Manager and Home Office Claims staff to inform, solicit input and strategize. Utilizes Claims staff to assist with investigation. Coordinates investigation with Subrogation and Arbitration Units.
- Selects appropriate outside legal counsel to coordinate the defense of each suit. Strategizes and evaluates, with assistance of outside defense counsel, to determine direction of defense, e.g., defend to conclusion; compromise, or negotiate a fair and equitable settlement. Assigns tasks, sets completion dates and establishes costs.
- Provides technical advice, direction and mentoring to the Claims Department staff on high severity and/or complex commercial casualty claims.
- Attends settlement conferences, depositions, preliminary hearings and trials when advisable.
- Position can be remote work if the location is outside of the state of Iowa
The Fine Arts Underwriting Analyst will be responsible for providing support to the Berkley Asset Protection Fine Arts practice. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conduct deep dive research into customers and their risk characteristics
- Prepare underwriting transactions, including renewals, new lines and endorsements
- Review and follow up for required documentation and signatures
- Process administrative changes including broker of record, non-renewals, cancelations, reinstatements and other changes
- Complete quotes on business submitted by agents and brokers
- Complete data entry and/or upload of large schedules and other data
- Resolve discrepancies from third party data reports
Data Scientist Intern:
Midwest Employers Casualty (MEC) is a Chesterfield, MO based insurance carrier. We help companies understand and mitigate their risk for workers compensation injuries and get employees who are severely injured on the job the care they need. Our Predictive Analytics department explores, arranges, and investigates data to develop analytical processes.
MEC has a friendly, results-focused work environment. We seek employees who take initiative, are quick to adapt, dependable and like working as part of a team.
Our ideal candidate is someone who isn’t afraid to try something new, wants exposure to code management, report automation, documentation, and requirement gathering.
What you will learn and do:
- Ensure that data and/or associated reports are accurate and securely delivered in a timely fashion.
- Identify, research, analyze, and document data errors for correction.
- Utilize data to answer assigned business problems. Provide written, graphical, and verbal summaries of the analysis.
- Connect unrelated data sets from multiple sources both inside and outside the organization and use the same to extract meaningful insights.
- Service the data needs of both internal and external customers by providing reports and/or electronic files, as needed.
- Test code results by analyzing data output.
- Work in a professional environment and interact/network with staff and leadership.
- Observe and participate in all facets of the system development lifecycle including planning, requirements, development, and testing.
- Develop an understanding of information technology especially as it relates to data, data warehousing, ETL processes and data mining.
- Understand project management practices and approaches including waterfall and Agile methodologies.
- Use Microsoft technologies such as SQL Server, .NET, in addition to our custom applications.
- Receive exposure to Python.
Berkley Environmental is looking for an enthusiastic experienced Testing and Security Analyst responsible for coordinating and overseeing user access in multiple systems and applications in addition to assisting the Testing Coordinator with various responsibilities. The individual in this role will collaborate with various groups across Operations, Technology, Business Management, and the Project Management Office through leadership, organization, communication, and execution on key deliverables and milestones.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordination of granting, updating and deactivating user access in multiple systems and applications
- Involvement in routine, monthly user certification SOX related activities
- Assisting the Testing Coordinator with developing policies and procedures
- Assisting the Testing Coordinator with the preparation work needed for projects and production support
- Provide support to the offshore Testing team
- Partnering with business and development teams to create detailed test strategies and acceptance criteria
- Facilitating test support requirements including test data, test IDs and test environment readiness
- Reviewing test plans and handling the approval process
- Reviewing testing results summary certification and managing the approval process
Must be capable of working under limited supervision and working with a remote manager. In this role, the claims professional investigates, evaluates, negotiates, and resolves litigated and non-litigated property damage, personal and advertising injury, and claims of high exposure and complexity with significant experience/Focus on specialized claims in the area of construction defect with complex coverage and litigated claims.
- Analyze coverage, identify coverage issues, and prepare coverage letters for supervisor approval
- Investigate and evaluate liability
- Investigate and evaluate damages
- Manage litigation by assigning counsel from the approved panel where applicable, establish litigation plan and budget, coordinate with defense counsel, and continuously review the potential for resolution.
- Establish timely reserves within authority and re-evaluate throughout the life of the claim
- Maintain up-to-date, appropriate file documentation and written file notes
- Maintain an active diary and productive file inventory
- Timely completion of all required large loss reporting
- Negotiate settlements within authority limit granted, and attend mediations, Mandatory Settlement Conferences, and/or Alternative Dispute Resolutions
- Proactively control the work product and expense of outside vendors
- Develop and maintain positive customer relationships and provide superior customer service
- Timely identify all potential opportunities for co-insurance, transfer of risk and/or subrogation
- Ability to Work with designated assigned accounts
- Recognize and investigate fraud
- Comply with deductible/self-insured retention recovery protocol
- Meet all State licensing requirements
- Adhere to all statutory regulations, Unfair Claims Practices acts, and corporate Best Practices
- All other duties as assigned
We have a great opportnity to join the Preferred Employers Claims Team!
In this role, the Claim Assistant plays a key role in accomplishing the organization’s strategy while ensuring the ongoing satisfaction of PEI’s internal and external customers. This role provides foundational support to the department’s shared goal of providing timely medical and financial benefits to injured workers.
Job duties include administrative support, customer service and timely issue resolution. Duties are considered routine and predefined. The Claims Assistant-Support Unit must be a highly motivated team player, critical thinker and be open to constructive feedback.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform moderate to complex clerical work.
- Duties include but not limited to record management, payment processing, financial reconciliation, creating and mailing correspondence, scheduling medical treatment, researching and addressing customer issues.
- Act as a first point of contact for injured workers, policy holders, brokers and medical providers on high volume inbound calls, live chats and email requests.
- Timely respond to customer inquiries fulfilling needs and escalating issues as appropriate.
- Stay current with assigned diary tasks.
- Document activity and pertinent transactions within source claim and policy systems.
- Assist in training and provide support for new team members.
- Work productively and harmoniously with others on a regular basis.
- Uphold company culture and values.
- Consistently maintain professional and appropriate demeanor.
- Actively engage in company sponsored professional development opportunities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This role will be responsible for transactional underwriting and functions associated with underwriting risks on behalf of Berkley One.
- Review and approve new business, endorsements and renewals that fall within underwriting authority and company guidelines. Refer risks that fall outside authority or guidelines.
- Review risk management reports to identify and recommend risk management solutions and requirements.
- Provide pro-active quote coaching for agents on new business submissions; align and convert referred accounts to new business.
- Recommend service and risk management solutions at new line and other points of the underwriting transaction with agent/broker.
- Manage book of business as it grows ensuring high quality and profitability of business.
- Anticipate insured and agent needs and find service solutions.
- Collaborate with Distribution, Marketing and Customer Service colleagues to ensure alignment and a consistent customer experience.
The Claims Operations Supervisor is responsible for the daily management of Claims Operations workflows and provides leadership and training to Claims Support and Customer Service staff to meet established departmental service standards.
This position is primarily a day-to-day production role. The Claims Operations Supervisor must show expertise in company policies and procedures in relation to Claims Operations, First Notice of Loss and Policy administration and must be able to perform all technical, administrative and customer service related tasks when needed for coverage.
This position must exhibit a high degree of competency, productivity, timeliness and accuracy. The Claims Operations Supervisor will model company core values while exercising appropriate judgment, displaying a team player attitude and effectively respond to unexpected changes or demands.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Train, mentor and supervise Support and Customer Service Unit team members.
- Ensure all support, new loss setup and policy related tasks are performed timely and accurately and departmental standards are maintained.
- Analyze operating procedures, recommend forward thinking solutions and generate ideas for continuous improvement and implement approved changes.
- Actively seek feedback to ensure processes and procedures meet internal and external customers’ needs.
- Resolve insured, broker, claimant and vendor inquiries with exceptional customer service.
- Respond to management requests for information and recommendations in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Cultivate and maintain effective working relationships with team members and department leaders.
- Complete various related tasks and projects as assigned
A great opportunity to join the Preferred Employers dynamic team as a working leader of our Risk Advisor (Safety/Loss Prevention) operations. While we have offices in San Diego & Walnut Creek, the field-focused nature of this role does allow for a remote/home based work location. Come join our innovative, inclusive, and collaborative team!
The Manager, Safety & Health will be responsible for managing and evaluating all safety & health service functions provided by the Risk Advisor staff to eliminate or reduce exposures to loss. Assists in the marketing of safety consultative services and company products in conjunction with company marketing objectives and goals.
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Manages and coordinates assignment of Risk Advisor services, monitors consultation services provided to customers, provide support to staff to meet their responsibilities.
- Conducts performance reviews and makes salary recommendations for staff.
- Directs and provides consultative services to association customers to support Risk Advisor functions.
- Coordinates and participates in the planning and execution of workshops, seminars and meetings for customers or potential customers to develop new business for the company.
- Maintains regular communication relative to pertinent issues with other department staff and other appropriate company personnel.
- Maintains an understanding of laws, rules and regulations affecting the insurance mechanism relative to the services provided by the company.
- Analyzes staff development needs/monitors staff development & training.
- Keeps informed of innovative risk-mitigation approaches, new consultative tools and equipment used to address industry injury trends, then develops relative services to assist customers.
- Makes regular visits to existing and prospective customers for marketing purposes, as requested.
- Provides overall management leadership for the company and department.
- Will immediately report all harassing or inappropriate behavior to Human Resources.
BerkleyNet is an innovative workers compensation insurance provider that does all of our business online. Our goal? To make doing business “Ridiculously Fast. Amazingly Easy.”
The Claims Representative is responsible for the investigation, evaluation, mitigation and resolution of an inventory of medical only and low complexity lost time workers’ compensation claims in multiple jurisdictions.
- Investigates workers’ compensation claims by interviewing injured workers, witnesses, and policyholders to verify coverage and determine compensability and benefits due
- Calculates and sets timely financial reserves and proactively manages reserve adequacy throughout claim lifecycle
- Records and codes injured worker demographics, job information and accident information in company’s claims management system and files necessary forms with state regulatory agencies
- Issues timely payments to injured workers, medical providers and service vendors.
- Coordinates and actively manages medical treatment of injured workers to ensure timely rehabilitation
- Negotiates settlements of claims within designated authority with injured workers and attorneys
- Maintains and demonstrates knowledge of the Workers’ Compensation Act, adjudication process, and regulatory compliance framework in assigned jurisdictions
- Identifies and manages subrogation, Second Injury Fund and joint coverage recovery opportunities
- Regularly communicates claim activity and status updates to policyholders, injured workers and other interested parties in a professional, thoughtful and tactful manner
- Notifies management and develops reports for large exposure claims and complies with reinsurance reporting requirements
- Manages the litigation process to ensure timely and cost effective claims resolution
- Monitors the expenses and effectiveness of managed care and investigation vendors
- Actively participates in special projects as assigned by management
- Periodically travels to attend hearings, conferences and training sessions
- Attends and participates in claim file reviews with management and defense attorneys
- Continuously strives to improve our product and business results through innovation
- Completes continuing education and career development programs and training with guidance from supervisor
- Obtain and maintain adjuster license in multiple jurisdictions as required
The Claims Examiner manages a book of claims within their authority. The ideal candidate will be knowledgeable in property and casualty claims handling. The position reports to a Claims Vice President who will monitor the work and grant additional claims authority as training progresses.
- Determine Coverage & ensure accuracy of Cedant claim cessions
- Establish Reserves
- Book payments
- Complete file documentation
- Maintain claim files in a timely & accurate manner
- Manage a portfolio of claims
- Conduct claim reviews as needed
- Maintain current knowledge of insurance lines, current claim procedure guidelines
- Develop and maintain relationships with reinsurance brokers & cedants
- Provide analysis on trends/anomalies to mgt
- Submit claims mgt reports as required for large exposure claims
- Provide ongoing workflow reports (Activity sheets)
- Frequent and timely communication with Underwriting, Actuarial, and the management team
- Participate in Roundtable Discussions
- Collaborate on Innovation initiatives
The Underwriting Assistant (UA) provides set up and administration assistance to the underwriting team. The UA will assist in the production and maintenance of business by providing administrative support to the underwriting department that is timely, efficient and representative of the high standards set forth by the company. Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Enters submissions into underwriting system
- Accurate policy issuance
- Process letters
- Data management
- Document verification, processing and management
- Compliance verification
- Invoice creation
- Send documents to brokers when necessary
- Ad-hoc projects as needed
This role will be dedicated to helping our high net worth clientele reduce their exposure to loss. By working collaboratively with our agency partners and internal stakeholders, the Risk Management Consultant will develop customized loss prevention strategies for our clients and help ensure their assets are covered by the most appropriate levels of insurance.
The ideal candidate will have Personal Lines risk management experience in the high net worth space.
- Perform detailed surveys of client properties for the purpose of identifying underwriting concerns, potential hazards and most likely causes of loss, developing risk mitigation strategies, facilitating solutions to these concerns, determining appropriate levels of insurance to value and when appropriate, identify account rounding opportunities for our agency partners.
- While relying on past experience and knowledge, demonstrate expertise in managing exposures cause by water damage, homes under construction, personal safety and security, natural disasters and other perils typical to the territory and clientele.
- Clearly communicate to clients, agency partners and internal stakeholders one’s findings and determinations and work to develop a plan to mitigate risk in a manner consistent with Berkley One’s philosophy.
- Perform other duties intended to develop relationships with agency partners. Support Berkley One’s growth in assigned territory by articulating our value proposition and services compared to the competition.
This person is responsible for overall front office activities, including the reception area, mail, purchasing requests and coordinating office services and related activities. In addition, this person will be supporting the recruiting department and others in the office with any additional administrative tasks.
• Answer incoming telephone calls in an exceptional, positive, clear manner and direct callers to the appropriate recipient.
• Professionally greet and direct visitors to the company.
• Manage the reception area to ensure effective communication both internally and externally to maintain a professional image.
• Coordinate overall administrative activities to include receiving, sorting and distributing incoming mail as well as coordinating pick-up and delivery of express mail.
• Maintains safe and clean reception area by complying with procedures, rules and regulations.
• Responsible for keeping an inventory of supplies and order supplies on request.
• Oversee the maintenance of office equipment, including copier, fax machine, etc.
• Deliver excellent customer service.
• Support others in the office in an administrative capacity.
• Assist in scheduling candidate interviews for the Berkley Internal Recruiting Team
• Assist with booking candidate airfare and other travel components
• Track outside submissions from outside agencies
• Assembling Agenda for outside agencies
• Assembling Agenda for weekly Recruiting Department Meetings
• Reconciling the recruiting invoices
The Assistant Vice President and Counsel will be an active member of W. R. Berkley Corporation’s legal team, focused on supporting the employment and litigation functions and giving continual legal counsel to business colleagues and senior management. The successful candidate will be technically proficient and capable of understanding the Company’s objectives and using impeccable judgment to align legal advice. The attorney will skillfully represent the Company when dealing with outside counsel and counterparties.
Some of the key points which make this opportunity attractive include:
- Provide counsel and support on a broad range of employment and general (non-insurance claims) litigation matters for a multinational Fortune 500 corporation recognized as an industry leader.
- Be a key member of a small, high-performing legal team, leading on employment and general (non-insurance claims) litigation matters.
- Work directly with senior members of the legal team and a sophisticated team of business executives.
- Work for a company built on a foundation of values that encompass “always doing the right thing” and whose leaders pride themselves on integrity.
- Provide counsel and support on all aspects of employment related legal issues, including employee relations issues, performance management, restrictive covenants, compliance issues, and investigations.
- Serve as lead in-house attorney on various general (non-insurance claims) litigation and other dispute resolution matters.
- Provide advice and legal support to the human resource department in connection with a variety of employment matters, including on-boarding, benefits and separation matters.
- Work with senior management to investigate, assess and resolve employment-related disputes and administrative claims.
- Monitor legal developments in employment law and make recommendations to address same.
- Partner effectively with outside counsel on employment and general litigation matters.
- Provide other legal assistance as needed in connection with a broad array of legal matters.
- This position provides technical oversight and coverage guidance to achieve the appropriate outcome on claims up to approved authority concentrating in the area of Professional Liability and/or Cyber coverage.
- Significant emphasis on resolution and process improvement, while maximizing cost effectiveness, supporting business partners to attract and maintain business.
- The position holds responsibilities with heavy focus on proactive and effective performance of vendors and carrier partners.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, business partners, customers, agents, regulatory agencies and others to achieve organizational goals and create better outcomes.
- Routinely review and update claims handling guidelines and workflows for carrier partners.
- Act as a claims account manager to our carrier partners to address claims and vendor concerns
Overall Job Responsibilities
- The position requires extensive multi-line claim experience.
- Work with underwriting and account executives on developing new and improving upon our existing custom turnkey product solutions
- Work with carrier partners on setting up claim protocols and practices for handling of our turnkey products
- Develop and execute claims training for our carrier partners on our turnkey products
- Conducts and participates in regular audits, carrier partner meetings and file reviews.
- Manage the claims bordereau from varies carrier partners
- Communicates Large Loss Reporting to internal business partners and reinsurers. Provides support to all functional internal departments
- Manage vendor partners to ensure they are meeting expectations and effectiveness for our carrier partner
- Travel required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Underwriting Assistant is proficient in processing underwriting support tasks through the lifecycle of an account. Workload will be determined based on a defined set of agency/producer relationships within the territory/region to which the Underwriting Assistant is assigned. Underwriting Assistants continuously work to develop proficiency in processing the underwriting support tasks for additional lines of business and within the same territory/region to which the Underwriting Assistant is assigned for the lifecycle of an account. The account lifecycle includes, but is not limited to, pre-underwriting file preparation, data entry and rating in applicable policy systems, generation of quote documents, generation of binders/binding confirmation, following-up additional information/subjectivities, policy issuance, mid-term endorsement processing, renewal solicitations, Audits, and cancellations and non- renewals (both Insured and Company request).
- Pre-underwriting/pre-qualification and file preparation of New Business and Renewal risks.
- Solicitation of additional information relative to submission (if necessary).
- Preparing Declination correspondence to broker (when required).
- Completion/updating data entry fields in BPMi Workflow Management System.
- Aid in the completion of Rating/Review Documents.
- Completion of necessary fields in Underwriting/Policy Admin. System.
- Tracking and follow-up of outstanding subjectivity items.
- Policy and endorsement processing and issuance.
- Management of Declined/Unsuccessful accounts in Underwriting System(s) and BPMi Workflow Management System.
- Monthly solicitations/follow-up for outstanding renewal information.
- Act as liaison with finance/accounting as needed.
- Availability to aid in additional workflow processes or special projects when needed and subject to supervisor direction.
The Manager of Sales & Distribution – Los Angeles Territory in California is responsible for:
- Targeted areas within the region known as the Los Angeles Basin. Includes region around Santa Monica/San Fernando Valley, Ventura/North LA up to Santa Barbara. Pasadena east to San Bernardino/West Riverside and all of Orange County. Also includes specific opportunities in the cities of Los Angeles/Long Beach.
- This job is all about the sales development and management of assigned agents/brokers and sales solicitation, Developing strong relations with the territory’s agents and brokers is key to success. The job involves setting in motion mutually-agreed-to sales plans and driving the necessary strategies and marketing actions needed to maximize profitable growth for Preferred Employers in this territory.
- Develop, implement and drive targeted class code sales plans with both current brokers and new brokers to meet Preferred’s profitable growth goals.
- Identify, develop, implement, and manage producer sales plans with target groups of business owners to meet Preferred’s sales goals.
- Monitor new sales, retention, rate-adequacy and commission metrics monthly to ensure premium plan goal achievement.
- Works closely with all company departments to optimize Preferred’s brand offering to the marketplace.
- This is a high-relationship type function requiring regular Zoom call time, windshield time, a high-level of communications skill, direct broker contact and direct selling contact with targeted prospects/clients.
- Job demands ongoing sales prospecting and finding qualifying business originating from the territory.
- Expectation is that candidate will operate primarily out of their company-assigned automobile, their home office with monthly visits to the company’s headquarters in San Diego or as needed from time to time.
- This job requires significant travel within the territory as required to build deep relationships with agents.
The Senior Underwriter partners with agents to manage a challenging and/or complex book of commercial business or agency relationships. S/he demonstrates complex decision-making with little or no supervision, recommending quality exceptions where appropriate to maximize profitability and meet business plans. Supports marketing activities to agents and actively participates in the agency management process. Serves as a mentor providing technical support, training, and problem solving for other underwriters. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Analyzes commercial lines accounts to make decisions based on individual risk characteristics, exposure analysis, hazard recognition and control. Utilizes underwriting guidelines to ensure compliance with state regulations. Within delegated authority levels, accepts, rejects or modifies new and/or renewal business to ensure a profitable book of business.
- Prices business according to Company underwriting and pricing guidelines. Assists less experienced underwriters in the handling of high hazard or more complex accounts. Ability to use creativity and underwriting knowledge to write risks and retain business.
- Partners with Territory Managers to support marketing activities by developing ongoing relationships with agents to discuss market appetite, quality and profitability of submissions, service standards, and underwriting and/or product changes. Communicates with agents on underwriting issues including decisions on cancellations, declinations, exposure concerns, and survey results.
- Partners with Territory Managers to identify issues or patterns and works to resolve or improve them; participates in agency planning and review processes; and may identify sales and marketing opportunities. Takes a lead role relative to Key Account review and recommendations.
- Travels, with or without Territory Manager, to assigned agent locations to develop agency partnerships.
- Trains and educates agency staff on Company products, services, processes, and underwriting philosophy.
- Assists in training and serves as a technical resource to other underwriters as needed.
- Attends industry workshops/meetings each year.