Click column header to sort
W. R. Berkley companies nationwide are seeking professional and enthusiastic college students to join their teams as Underwriting Interns who work closely with key team members to learn and participate in the process of underwriting and servicing new and/or renewal commercial insurance accounts. This is a summer internship, approximately 8-12 weeks in length. Duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Deepen understanding of Commercial Property and Casualty risks in order to profitably underwrite
- Initiate handling of new and renewal business submissions
- Learn how to evaluate and price various types of accounts
- Attend underwriting and claims committee and underwriting meetings.
- Learn why and how accounts fail the underwriting process
- Participate in quoting, policy issuance and meetings with brokers and insureds
- Conduct research projects.
- Assist Underwriting team as needed.
Looking for a Senior Financial Analyst to become part of a Corporate Financial Planning and Analysis team. This role will be involved with strategic analysis and content evaluation related to various global financial applications. The individual will work cross-functionally to translate & consolidate data from multiple Berkley operating units into a cohesive set of financial data which will be used to inform decisions regarding profitability and risk assessment. The cross-functional nature of the project will require the coordination from various teams such as underwriting, marketing, claims, technology, actuarial, accounting and operations. This role will focus on strategy & analysis of the integration of various financial data sets and applications in order to facilitate best practices and drive innovation for the future state of operating unit’s data.
• Perform self-initiated financial analysis to evaluate trends, model future behavior, support implementation decisions, and create insights to drive financial process efficiencies.
• Determine and implement data reporting strategies to provide critical information to operating units, finance, and other key areas.
• Partner with non-financial business managers and team members to perform strategic work
• Assist with general business processes, accounting, audits, financial related issues, and other production related items associated with PeopleSoft, Vena, and the Berkley Data Warehouse (BDW).
• Present work and engage in strategic discussions with senior management.
• Work cross-functionally with multiple departments including Underwriting, Marketing, Claims, Accounting, etc.
• Responsible for the development of reporting requirements and models to facilitate analyses supported by data metrics and analytics from various applications.
• Conduct analysis of key business drivers, trends and performance indicators to provide value-added inputs.
• Manage and complete monthly reconciliations for companies going through various implementations of financial systems.
• Work extensively with both international and US based finance teams across the multiple projects.
• Monitor and manage adherence to financial standards and governance implemented by the Corporate Finance organization and BDW steering committee.
Staff level position performing various duties related to the financial reporting process. Areas of responsibility include GAAP/Stat financial statement preparation and reporting, reinsurance accounting, reconciliations and monitoring cash flow. All functions focus on both accurate and timely completion based on the close schedule.
• Preparation of accurate GAAP financial statements and reporting packages as assigned, including journal entries, supporting schedules and analysis, meeting all due dates per closing schedule.
• Reinsurance accounting, reconciliation and reporting.
• Create quarterly/monthly reinsurance bordereaux to send to brokers
• Responsible for timely and accurate account reconciliations as assigned (including analysis and resolution of reconciling items).
• Responsible for the accuracy of results for assigned programs.
• Monitor cash settlements from both Profit Centers and Reinsurers.
• Assists in the support of internal and external audits/examinations.
• Active pursuit of continuous process improvement and progress measurement (metrics)
The Corporate Underwriting Specialist is responsible for assisting regional offices in meeting their growth and profit goals by providing commercial property or casualty underwriting expertise. S/he assists the Commercial Underwriting Manager in developing and administering Underwriting policy and practices in assigned areas of responsibility consistent with BSIG profit and production objectives. Responsible for monitoring results and recommend adjustments in strategies in line with Company profit and production objectives.
This role is located in Lawrenceville, GA.
Key Functions include but are not limited to:
- Provides underwriting direction for assigned area of responsibility that demonstrates an effective balancing of Corporate profit and production objectives
- Develops/revises Underwriting Guidelines as needed.
- Monitors product, class, state and Profit Center performance for assigned areas of responsibility and conducts necessary analysis developing recommendations for coverage and rate modifications to achieve targeted results.
- Working in conjunction with actuarial staff, systems, underwriting, and marketing participates as appropriate in developing state filings, rate changes and product and form modifications.
- Assists underwriters with risk analysis of referral accounts.
- Conducts regular training and development sessions designed to increase technical proficiency of underwriting staff.
- Keeps abreast of industry developments, particularly those which impact his or her area(s) of responsibility, including participation in appropriate industry meetings, seminars, and education sessions.
- Assists Chief Underwriting Officer with promoting consistency and quality of underwriting performance through BSIG Quality Control Program and annual Profit Centers’ audits.
- Works in conjunction with regional line of business teams to develop/revise proprietary forms and reviews NCCI/ISO countrywide changes for file and adoption.
- Understands BSIG’s business and the factors that affect its success.
The successful candidate will work closely with other ERM team members, other functions and senior management within corporate. The business focus of our ERM team also requires collaboration with colleagues across a range of disciplines in our operating companies. Key responsibilities include:
- Develop, implement and maintain the group risk management framework
- Work closely with our operating companies and corporate entity to help them understand their risk profile and effectiveness of mitigations
- Measure and monitor exposure to insurance risk from accumulations of property and casualty lines of business
- Understand the impact of ceded reinsurance program on the WRBC underwriting portfolio
- Risk, Capital & Solvency
- Enhance our understanding of the group risk profile, and the capital needed to support that risk profile
- Assist with the production of, and improvements, to the ORSA process and summary report including development of sensitivity, stress and reverse stress testing
- Emerging/Evolving Risks
- Creating and presenting analyses and reports on specific key risk areas for the Group’s senior management including emerging and evolving risks such as cyber, climate change
- ERM Reporting
- Support our international companies in their ERM reporting
- Complete ERM reports for rating agencies and regulators
- Assist with/produce internal ERM reports and presentations for ERM committee, Presidents’ meetings and Board meetings
- Assist with the development of less experienced team members
The Casualty Underwriter will work in a team setting generating, underwriting and analyzing accounts for development of new and renewal Casualty business. Role can be remote for candidates with adequate level of underwriting experience.
- Compliance with underwriting documentation rules and guidelines.
- Maintain an acceptable underwriting profit.
- Adherence to Admiral underwriting guidelines and referral compliance.
- Act as referral authority for Associate Underwriters.
- Development and maintenance of key broker/agent relationships.
- Management and development of new business and broker relationships.
- Coordinate strategic marketing calls to key brokers (up to 25%).
- Participates in all internal company training and continuing education.
- Remains current on product releases as it pertains to Casualty.
- Stay abreast and knowledgeable on market trends in terms of forms, coverage and appetite to maintain competitiveness.
Production-oriented underwriting position responsible for all aspects of growing and managing a profitable book of excess casualty business. Success comes from a dedication to the underwriting trade and a long-term approach to every aspect of the business, including relationship and risk management discipline.
• Manage and grow a high-quality excess casualty insurance portfolio working through your network of wholesale broker partners.
• Position requires the ability to leverage your network of industry relationships and grow portfolio utilizing Berkley Custom’s proprietary playbook and broad underwriting appetite.
• Ensures the achievement of continued improved profitability, growth and/or operational efficiencies for the portfolio through assessment of risk tolerance, market appetite and emerging risk issues.
• Determines the acceptability, quality and profitability of new and existing business based on company underwriting guidelines and objectives.
• Develop insurance proposals, prepare policies and endorsements, obtain required underwriting approvals where needed.
• Travel to conduct broker marketing meetings and attend industry events as determined by management.
• Contribute to the firmwide development of underwriting operations, marketing plans, product analysis, services, geographic focus and broker intelligence.
• Effectively communicate and collaborate with other leaders with Berkley Custom to broaden knowledge of trends, opportunities, and technical knowledge of pricing.
This position assists in the day-to-day functions of the Underwriting Audit team with the primary area of responsibility dealing with the completion of individual underwriting file audits, analysis of results and communication of findings and trends to underwriting management.
• Completes audits on new business, renewals and quotes to assess the quality of the risk and quality of the file handling from an underwriting, pricing and policy construction standpoint, as well as adherence to established underwriting procedures and authorities.
• Creates and completes “special request” audits from underwriting management on specific individuals, classes of business or programs.
• Assists in the development and updating requirements for the automated tools used to collect and track audit results and works with IT and BTS to implement and test changes.
• Initiates requests to create or update underwriting philosophies, guidelines or procedures based on audit results.
• Represents the department, as requested by the VP or Manager, in inter-departmental meetings and maintains professional relationships with internal departments, external vendors and customers.
The Specialty Select Underwriting Manager will lead our production underwriting team to meet production and underwriting, profit and loss goals. This individual will also coach and mentor their team in sales related, retail agency management in order to seek out and secure opportunities that drive surplus lines insurance products.
- Responsible for all production and underwriting (profit/loss) results for the production underwriting team
- Lead and coach the production underwriting team through an advanced understanding of underwriting guidelines, state regulations, facultative reinsurance placement and OFAC regulations
- Conduct performance management duties including KPI analytics
- Participate on projects and initiatives as assigned by leadership
- Review claims activity, loss control survey, and inspection reports for compliance with existing policies, handling exceptions as required and recommending improvements
- Provide support to ensure accurate and timely servicing of accounts
- Collaborate with other departments to resolve issues
- Lead delivery of appropriate customer service levels
- Determine and lead delivery of training and development based on individual and unit needs - Coaches, develops and provides feedback to associates
- Manage relationships with WR Berkley regional carriers and territory teams – Work to initiate and execute cross selling strategies
- Assist the production underwriting team with development and execution of sound action plans to drive business from key agents
- Monitor, track and analyze the effectiveness of agency partnerships to support course corrections and decision making.
May perform other functions as assigned.
This role is critical in the ongoing development of our overall portfolio and innovating to create new product/solution offerings. Key focus will be on product lifecycle maintenance specifically developing and implementing best practices, underwriting appetites, guidelines, forms, forms usage, terms and conditions, etc.
- Active role in marketing for new product lines of business.
- Provide training and product assistance for all product lines.
- Participates in the identification and development of viable new products.
- Draft policies, endorsements and state amendatory endorsements
- Assist in drafting underwriting rules, manuals and questionnaires
- Assist with underwriting and regulatory Auditing
- Conduct state insurance reg. research as it may relate to licensing, traditional and non-traditional distribution and emerging regulations impacting in-force business
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Lead and coordinate the Underwriting and Claims operational review process.
As the Manager
- Developing annual review plan by performing annual risk based assessment (Universe), including deciding which reviews to personally lead and which to delegate to Underwriting and/or Claim Review Leader(s)
- Managing and training Underwriting and Claim Review Leaders
- Ensuring that reviews are well planned, thorough and useful and achieve the goals of monitoring and improving the processes at the Company’s operating units
- Developing and maintaining relationships and communication with corporate Segment EVPs, SVP Claims, SVP Underwriting & Data Analytics, Actuarial and ERM staff
- Automating, standardizing and continuously improving the review process and reporting procedures
As the Review Leader
- Staffing and planning the review (reviews are staffed with claim professionals from the company’s operating units)
- Interviewing departmental personnel and senior management
- Coordinating the work of the review team members
- Assessing the practices, procedures, and results of the subject operating unit
- Assessing the effectiveness of the organizational structure, staffing, and management information
- Developing opportunities for improvement
- Leading closing meetings and delivering feedback
- Preparing the written report and recommendations
- Following up on implementation of recommendations
Berkley Technology Services (BTS) has a job opportunity available for a Lead Information Security Engineer to join our team!
We’re looking for a versatile and hands-on engineer with cross-vertical technical expertise encompassing penetration testing strategy and execution, vulnerability management, static code analytics, and policy compliance. Here, you’ll sit directly at the intersection of technical innovation and business engagement. You’ll actively partner with our engineers along with our Security Management and Senior Leadership teams to lead initiatives across our highly distributed, multi-national footprint. You’ll engage in both project execution and project leadership, working side by side with our Director of Vulnerability Management to ensure the fluid continuity of compliance programs across the enterprise. And as we continue to standardize our security posture, you’ll have opportunities to influence change and see the impact of what you’re doing each and every day to secure our global infrastructure.
Key functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead initiatives and projects to support and enhance our application security initiatives which include penetration testing capabilities and static code
- Bring your ideas forward, evaluating how to optimize the tools we’re using and exploring technologies that could continue to enhance our security posture and ensure solutions scalability
- Develop and lead projects to continually analyze source code, pinpointing and remediating potential vulnerabilities upon discovery
- Manage compliance scanning process across the enterprise to identify and remediate potential risks and vulnerabilities as expeditiously as possible
- Continuously communicate that status of our security compliance projects and programs to provide updates and obtain buy-in from global engineering, business, security management, and senior leadership teams
Responsible for planning, directing and overseeing the Underwriting Audit department, including managing and supervising the Underwriting Audit Coordinators. Sets and achieves department goals to support the company’s key strategic objectives. Oversees the completion of individual files audits, conducts quality control on completed audits, analysis of results and trends, scheduling and provides communication of findings to underwriting management. Develops new audits based on company goals and provides agency consulting services as needed.
- Manages the work and production of the Audit Coordinators.
- Provides oversight of the completion of audits on new business, renewals and quotes to assess the quality of the risk and quality of the file handling from an underwriting, pricing and policy construction standpoints, as well as adherence to established underwriting procedures and authorities.
- Works with Coordinators to provide feedback to Underwriting Management (based upon review findings) to identify strengths in Underwriting talents and to identify opportunities to improve various underwriting criteria and/or requirements as relates to Company underwriting standards.
- Develops new underwriting audits to reflect changes in underwriting philosophies and strategies.
- Shares high-level trends with management.
- Creates, analyzes and interprets data from various reports.
- Works as direct contact with Regulatory for SOX compliance testing.
Handle the daily processing of disbursements for the Companies that we service while providing excellent customer service and maintain a high level of attention to detail.
- Processing of all disbursements for the Companies you are assigned through the invoice workflow system or interface files (claims, premium refunds, commissions).
- Coding of invoices and payment requests in Accounts Payable system.
- Assist with printing of checks and special handling.
- Respond to Company inquiries on payment and invoice submission.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Verify approval on invoices and payment requests.
- Other duties as assigned.