Click column header to sort
As a member of the Specialty Select team, the Specialty Business Development Executive will manage assigned agency relationship(s) to drive profitable growth and achieve business unit objectives through a customized approach and alignment with each strategic partner to include the implementation of creative solutions in process, structure and compensation to assure agile and appropriate response to each customer’s specific needs. The Specialty Business Development Executive will assist, and be a key thought partner in the development, implementation and execution of the Aspire Specialty Select strategy.
- Review and underwrite new business submissions for acceptability according to authority granted
- Evaluate, accept, reject or modify risks within established underwriting guidelines and authority.
- Comply with company policies, procedures & rating plans when evaluating and managing risk
- Make sound risk and pricing decisions to drive profitable growth and achieve business objectives
- Achieve designated customer service standards with a focus on fast turn-around time
- Provide detailed issuance instructions to ensure policy is delivered consistent with quoted terms and conditions and in accordance with established guidelines relative to policy construction
- Utilize various underwriting tools to determine acceptable risk characteristics, accurate classifications, insurance to value, calculate rates, etc.
- Recognize and create cross selling opportunities for other company products
- Assist in the development, implementation and execution of the Aspire Specialty Select strategy
- Assist in the creation of a Specialty Select “ease of doing business” model (quick turnaround, service standards, etc.)
- Assist in the development of a Specialty Select value proposition and ensure successful marketing of our products on a countrywide basis
- Provide subject matter expertise to the development of relevant automation technology, product design, underwriting and operations
- Assist the management team with training, mentoring and coaching of new associates and less experienced team members
- In coordination with the management team, participate in the development and execution of annual business plans for the division to include a profitable underwriting strategy
- Participate in book profitability analyses and corresponding action plan development
- Stay abreast and knowledgeable of market trends and conditions to guide our business and achieve desired objectives
- Develop strong, long term relationships with assigned agency partners to profitably grow a book of business.
- Participate on projects and initiatives as assigned by leadership
- Models behavior that encourages collaboration, teamwork and open communication
- May perform other functions as assigned.
The individual selected for this position will work closely with all areas of the company to interpret business processes and identify control points needed to ensure compliance with company-wide compliance programs. This includes, but is not limited to, SOX, Enterprise Risk Management, Business Continuity Planning, and OFAC compliance programs. In addition, this individual will manage and coordinate office operations for all Berkley Aspire offices.
- Responsible for the execution of the company’s Sarbanes-Oxley regulatory requirements. Act as the SOX coordinator ensuring that all business unit leaders complete their required controls in a timely manner. Identify and suggest changes or implement key controls through new process design.
- Responsible for the execution of the company’s Enterprise Risk Management review and scoring.
- Responsible for the review, updating, and testing of the company’s Business Continuity Plan.
- Responsible for adhering to the reporting and recordkeeping requirements of the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering rules and regulations, observing economic sanctions by prohibiting transactions as specified by the Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC).
- Manage team of two direct reports to include: hiring, onboarding, training, engagement, compensation, performance management, and retention.
- Recommend and execute procedural changes to improve overall office effectiveness
- Exercises administrative judgment and assumes responsibility for decisions, consequences, and results within the department
- Monitor performance according to agreed standards and take necessary action to communicate/advise/assist in performance management
- Review, define, and manage process workflows, policies, and procedures
- Communicate and respond to internal and external customer issues
- Develop self, and maintain knowledge in relevant field at all times
- Staffing and planning the review (reviews are staffed with claim professionals from WRBC operating units)
- Interviewing departmental personnel and senior management
- Coordinating the work of the review team members
- Assessing the practices, procedures, and results of the subject department
- Assessing the effectiveness of the organizational structure, staffing, and management information
- Identifying improvement opportunities and developing potential solutions.
- Coordinating with colleagues in IT, Finance and Underwriting to deliver a unified message to the operating units
- Leading closing meetings and delivering feedback
- Preparing the written report and recommendations
- Following up on implementation of recommendations
- Participating in annual risk assessment to help develop an annual audit plan
The Underwriting Technician will provide processing and technical support to the Underwriting Department with a primary focus on submission clearance and policy issuance, ensuring all transactions meet production and quality objectives and are processed within company established service standards. This position will be assessed based on productivity, accuracy, thoroughness and ability to learn and apply new skills.
- Issuance of new and renewal policies accurately and completely within established service standards.
- Reserving, clearing and set-up of submissions and transactions in accordance with established procedures and quality metrics
- Timely and accurate processing of policy changes including endorsements, cancellations, non-renewals and reinstatements.
- Issuance of bind confirmations for new and renewal policies
- Inspection ordering
- Research and respond to agent/insured correspondence, calls and inquiries including requests for loss runs and copies of forms and endorsements.
- Multi-line rating
- Assist with special projects as assigned
- Provide superior customer service to internal and external customers
- Models behavior that encourages collaboration, teamwork and open communication
Underwrite and maintain a profitable book of business as per company guidelines. Maintain primary and excess underwriting files, including underwriting analysis worksheets, rate plans, underwriting referrals, policies, and endorsements in accordance to company guidelines. Maintain and develop broker relationships. Demonstrates the required in depth knowledge of various industry segments, policy/product knowledge and marketing responsibilities.
- Responsible for underwriting, pricing, and analyzing new and renewal book of business within company guidelines, including commission and renewal rate objectives.
- Maintain an understanding of the local market contacts/relationships needed to ensure production goals are achieved.
- Responsible for new business production and maintenance of existing book of business.
- Responsible for responding to all mid-term service requests
- Responsible for the maintenance of underwriting files and maintaining proper and complete underwriting documentation in accordance to company requirements.
- Collaborate with General Counsel on manuscript endorsements and underwriting compliance issues.
- Collaborate with UA in preparation of renewals, including renewal solicitation notices and conditional renewal/non-renewal letters.
- Support less experienced Underwriters with training, analysis and authority of underwriting files as requested by manager.
The Claims Professional is responsible for the analysis and management of workers’ compensation claims for assigned clients, including minor and complex claims. This position will review, investigate, and make decisions regarding coverage, compensability, and appropriateness of claims. The position will process and document claims to ensure compliance with company standards, industry best practices, and legislative provisions. Acts in a fiduciary role on behalf of policyholders and negotiates claim settlements. Claims Professionals conduct the handling of claims in the utmost of good faith in compliance with the rules, regulations and state statutes. Experience and the degree to which a claim professional can work independently to make sound decisions, reserve recommendations and drive outcomes will determine the hiring position, ranging from a Claim Representative I to a Senior Claim Representative. The Claims Professional is expected to function with a high degree of competency and independence. The use of sound judgment coupled with strong technical claim handling skills and consistent results are expected.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Analyzes and processes workers’ compensation claims by investigating and gathering information to determine the exposure on the claim.
- Negotiate settlement of claims up to designated authority level and makes claims payments.
- Calculates and assigns timely appropriate reserves to claims and continues to manage reserve adequacy throughout the life of the claim.
- Calculates and pays benefits due; approves all claim payments; and settles claims within designated authority level.
- Develops and manages claims though well-developed action plans; continues to work the action plan to bring the claim to an appropriate and timely resolution.
- Prepares necessary state filings within statutory limits.
- Actively manages the litigation process; ensures timely and cost-effective claims resolution.
- Coordinates vendor referrals for additional investigation and/or litigation management.
- Uses appropriate cost containment techniques including strategic vendor partnerships to reduce overall cost of claims.
- Frequently communicates with all appropriate parties involved with the claim.
- Maintains professional client relationships.
- Actively executes appropriate claims activities to ensure consistent delivery of quality claims services.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on the IT controls and compliance assessments in order to assist with inquiries, questionnaires, and regulatory requests.
- Assist in the development and communication of our overall ITGC framework, including related IT policies, standards, controls and control requirements/guidelines.
- Performing reviews of related IT Compliance documentation, procedures and controls, including creating work papers and making recommendations for remediation.
- Documenting assessment/testing results, including the gathering and organizing of documentation or evidence collected.
- Reporting issues or deficiencies found during testing and tracking the associated remediation plans across companies and/or departments.
- Ensuring that exceptions, risk assessments and/or findings across all compliance related activities are documented and tracked for remediation, with direct involvement by either facilitation of discussions, or by being directly involved in the process.
- Coordinating any external audits to facilitate the process of gathering any requested information and/or documentation.
- Working both independently and across teams, or across entities, to collect or distribute important information on processes, procedures, guidelines, etc.
- Assist management and leadership in defining the IT general control (ITGC's) objectives and monitoring compliance efforts.
As a member of the Innovation & Product Development team, this role will work with Department team members, Account Executives and Senior leadership to help build, execute upon and manage our new and existing product and services suite. You will be responsible for learning our products, risk appetite and participating in our Innovation journey. We aim to bring new and existing products to market in both traditional and alternative insurance delivery methods.
We are seeking candidates with insurance experience, who want to do more and do it differently, finding new ways to create and deliver insurance solutions. The duties and responsibilities include:
- Understanding and experience with product development and management
- Understanding of and experience with underwriting, product and risk analysis
- Research trends, new releases and emerging societal issues and opportunities
- Research data points for new products / services – viability, pricing, leading and executing learning experimentations
- Harbor a strong understanding of InsurTech, FinTech, Innovation and rethinking the insurance experience starting with the end-user’s perspective working backwards
- Experience with digital consumption / user experience / user interface
- Experience with alternative insurance distribution
- Knowledge of network effects, platforms and ecosystems
- Five+ years of experience working in a progressive thinking insurance company department
Berkley Accident and Health seeks a Program Account Executive to support the sales and member growth initiatives of its EmCap Programs.
- Support the stop loss sales process for existing and prospective captive programs.
- Oversee new business RFP and sales activity for each program.
- Interact and establish relationships with key program personnel on all sales related activities.
- Support general sales needs for Business Development Vice Presidents.
- Guide producers and new members through the implementation and membership process.
- Works closely with Account Management team to transition new business.
The Financial Analyst is primarily responsible for accurately preparing, interpreting and analyzing GAAP financial statements and associated schedules. Develop and maintain both standard and ad hoc financial reports and variance analysis.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial analysis schedules of actual vs. budget variances.
- Provide financial analysis support to various areas of the company.
- Manage timely and accurate reinsurer billings and collection of receivables. Assist with reinsurer, broker and auditor inquiries.
- Perform financial analysis on all reinsurers with whom the Company has significant financial exposure and determine collateral requirements.
- Apply GAAP and insurance principles to accurately prepare journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Assist with annual budgeting process.
- Create ad hoc reporting as required.
- Evaluate established policies, procedures, and systems and re-vamp or modify them as necessary/appropriate to improve overall efficiency, accuracy and controls.
- Provide feedback for areas of opportunity/ improved efficiencies.
The senior analyst monitors financial systems and procedures and specific general ledger accounts to ensure financial results accuracy. Prepares journal entries and accounting reports. Assists in the preparation of financial plans and budgets. Prepares and analyzes financial results related to inquiries from management.
- Monitors financial systems, procedures and controls for accuracy, analyzes sufficiency of expense accruals and prepares monthly, quarterly and budget financial statement journal entries and management reports.
- Prepares monthly and quarterly calculations and monitors significant financial statement items such as deferred acquisition costs (DAC), commissions, agency profit-sharing payouts, reinsurance, other expenses, losses (including IBNR, storms, etc).
- Assists in the preparation of annual planning forecasts and other related planning inputs and exhibits. Provides modeling assistance to determine the impact of potential scenarios and plans.
- Assists in the preparation of monthly and quarterly management reporting on actual vs. plan results, providing variance analysis.
- Reviews financial accounts and prepares account reconciliations, Adheres to and provides assistance with Financial control (SOX) documentation, processes and procedures.
- Prepares financial analysis and assists with special projects requested by Corporate or Financial Reporting management.
The Senior Catastrophic Resolution Specialist is responsible for managing complex and/or catastrophic claims within all jurisdictions. This includes investigation, evaluation, and resolution of claims. Interface with underwriting, risk management, case management, clients, and vendors as appropriate in controlling costs and loss ratios and providing the claimant with appropriate care. Provide leadership of day to day activities on large loss and catastrophic claims
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee catastrophic and large loss claims from beginning to resolution.
- Manage all technical aspects of claims including coverage, disability benefit management, medical management, file management, litigation management, subrogation, reserving and settlement.
- Verify and interpret coverage issues.
- Consult with attorneys, assist in negotiation of settlement, mediations and trials (attend trials as necessary).
- Resolve problems involving multi-faceted claims handling.
- Investigate, evaluate, and negotiate claims toward resolution and provide medical needs within jurisdictional guidelines and Berkley Industrial Comp philosophies.
- Determinate appropriate reserves to adequately reflect exposure of losses.
- Attend and participate in training sessions to the accounts or account visits and claim reviews.
The Senior Communications Specialist has the primary responsibility for the production and delivery of all enterprise communications both internally and externally. This position serves as a key point of contact for senior management and other corporate officers regarding communications and public relations activities, as well as the creation, development and production of marketing materials in support of Nautilus’ product offering. He or She also serves as the company’s senior writer and editor.
If you are a driven communications leader with an entrepreneurial spirit and a strong background in writing, editing, and the production of creative marketing materials, newsletters and publications, this opportunity may be right for you. You must have a strong understanding of brand voice and an eye for brand management across all Marketing and Communication channels.
- Develop communications strategies and plans that directly impact the success of key business initiatives. Regularly test and measure the effectiveness of communication methods and make recommendations for improvement
- Create and manage an integrated communications calendar, leading editorial meetings in support of brand advancement and thought leadership opportunities
- Develop agent-facing communications, including but not limited to the writing, production and fulfillment of all product specific sell-sheets, brochures and other campaign materials
- Manage marketing- and sales-related content across all digital platforms including file upload, archiving and document removal to ensure available content remains current and relevant
- Write and prepare promotional content and materials for all corporate events and distribute through appropriate channels
- Collaborate cross-functionally, working across many departments to influence, manage, and drive communications initiatives. Ability to interact with team members and executives at all levels
- Partner with underwriting, actuarial, and business development teams to develop new products focused on the US small commercial property and casualty insurance market across all traditional lines of business including coverage options, pricing philosophy, rating structure, underwriting approach, servicing solutions, and distribution
- Lead state filing and inquiry process with assistance from internal filings team while managing Berkley Small Business Solutions resources dedicated to product development and filing work
- Collaborate with actuarial and data science teams to identify and implement methods for pricing and underwriting risk beyond traditional methods
- Identify new unique product development opportunities through partnerships with internal stakeholders and external distribution partners using a data driven quantitative approach
- Evaluate current/ongoing industry capabilities relating to product, underwriting, technology to inform critical focus areas for the future
- Gather competitive intelligence through analyzing and monitoring competitor pricing and product changes.
- Demonstrates the WRBC Core Competencies and Innovation Behaviors while performing the Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Vice President, Affinity Programs for Berkley Select manages programs and provides the underwriting leadership and management team with underwriting and analytical results while promoting profitable growth within the assigned business partners. The role is responsible for the P&L of the portfolio and works with the distribution channel to steer business opportunities to Berkley Select focusing on profitability of the portfolio when making underwriting decisions.
- Review new business and renewal program referrals within the designated authority for underwriting, pricing, and segment acceptability.
- Presentquarterly program results to Senior Management.
- Participate in new program due diligence process.
- Strengthen our value proposition with existing and future program partners.
- Review and reconcile bordereau reports for all programs and provide discoveries to SVP of programs.
- Audit portfolios for all programs on a quarterly basis and prepare audit report
- Correspond with MGU’s and answer inquiries professionally and on a timely basis.
- Works with the Program Managers, Actuarial, Claims, CRM, Finance, Legal, Operations, and Regulatory departments on admitted rate/form filings and forms for the non-admitted business.
- Maintain Electronic files for all programs.
- Conduct research, run reports, and handle information related to business practices of the company.
The position requires extensive experience in the Program underwriting space specifically when it comes to strategic planning and execution.
- Work with underwriting, key broker relationships and leadership when it comes to defining overall business plan to drive profitable results.
- Is able to articulate the business value proposition that leads to exceptional underwriting results.
- Work with the distribution channel to insure that we have clear underwriting focus on our plan to execute.
- Manages the Program Underwriting strategy with report outs on results and plans on a continuous basis while communicating results.
The Life Sciences Underwriter is responsible for the new business marketing and production, renewal underwriting and service of business for an assigned group of producers. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Building strong relationships with brokers to ensure you meet or exceed financial goals including growth, profit, retention, and new business.
- Responsible for account solicitation, risk selection and analysis including the corresponding documentation, pricing and marketing of Berkley Life Sciences products and services for new and existing customers.
- Business development results for assigned territories
- Identifying opportunities for account rounding.
- Providing technical support to producers and insureds
- Staying current with all compliance, procedural and workflow changes.
- Working collaboratively and effectively with underwriting associates, operations, legal, home office underwriting and claims
What we’re looking for:
Are you ready to manage a highly skilled team and push them to greatness? We’re looking for you to provide strong leadership to drive delivery. You will be managing large scale enterprise level initiatives using Agile principles at scale. As a technical delivery manager, you will curate and implement portfolio management practices that balance the portfolio of our investments and continuously align them to our strategic vision.
What You’ll Do:
- Deliver Results. Ability to thrive and produce results in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. Leverage problem solving skills to ensure plans deliver on intent.
- Measure Value. You will prioritize high-value, high-need investments that bring value to the business. You will also continuously steer those investments and evaluate their alignment to the business value process chain of an organization.
- Understanding Our Customers. Learn and empathize with our customers. Partner with key stakeholders to provide thought leadership to influence outcomes.
- Build high performing teams. We expect you to understand what we do and why we do it. This will help you assemble teams/pods to maximize productivity and achieve business value. You will hold product and engineering teams accountable to their goals.
Berkley Accident and Health is seeking a full-time Regional Sales Manager to develop profitable business initiatives in an assigned territory by devising detailed, focused sales plan to identify target markets needed to hit sales goals, directing distribution of ESL and Corporate Products in assigned region and any unassigned states through network of preferred producers, and creating new distribution outlets and facilitating marketing efforts to utilize alternative distribution methods; i.e. cross marketing through the Berkley family of companies, email blasts and newsletters, and attending industry events and seminars.
- Generate and facilitate high monthly volume of pre-qualified submissions for all authorized Berkley Accident and Health products.
- Provide regular feedback to Home Office on successes and failures in the quote process to allow for adjustments and improve close ratio.
- Provide monthly updates on pipeline, current, and future activity.
- Continue to expand product education and develop cross-selling opportunities within territory.
- Make a minimum of 12 calls per day to prospective customers to build a continuous chain of callbacks, prospects and new opportunities every week, facilitated by a minimum of 3-5 new face to face meetings per week.
- Be a proactive listener with customers by identifying needs and collaborating with Home Office to derive innovative solutions.
BerkleyNet is an innovative workers compensation insurance provider that does all of our business online. Our goal? To make doing business “Ridiculously Fast. Amazingly Easy.”
The Claims Representative is responsible for the investigation, evaluation, mitigation and resolution of an inventory of medical only and low complexity lost time workers’ compensation claims in multiple jurisdictions.
- Investigates workers’ compensation claims by interviewing injured workers, witnesses, and policyholders to verify coverage and determine compensability and benefits due
- Calculates and sets timely financial reserves and proactively manages reserve adequacy throughout claim lifecycle
- Records and codes injured worker demographics, job information and accident information in company’s claims management system and files necessary forms with state regulatory agencies
- Issues timely payments to injured workers, medical providers and service vendors.
- Coordinates and actively manages medical treatment of injured workers to ensure timely rehabilitation
- Negotiates settlements of claims within designated authority with injured workers and attorneys
- Maintains and demonstrates knowledge of the Workers’ Compensation Act, adjudication process, and regulatory compliance framework in assigned jurisdictions
- Identifies and manages subrogation, Second Injury Fund and joint coverage recovery opportunities
- Regularly communicates claim activity and status updates to policyholders, injured workers and other interested parties in a professional, thoughtful and tactful manner
- Notifies management and develops reports for large exposure claims and complies with reinsurance reporting requirements
- Manages the litigation process to ensure timely and cost effective claims resolution
- Monitors the expenses and effectiveness of managed care and investigation vendors
- Actively participates in special projects as assigned by management
- Periodically travels to attend hearings, conferences and training sessions
- Attends and participates in claim file reviews with management and defense attorneys
- Continuously strives to improve our product and business results through innovation
- Completes continuing education and career development programs and training with guidance from supervisor
- Obtain and maintain adjuster license in multiple jurisdictions as required