Click column header to sort
The Underwriting Assistant will provide general operational support to the Department including the processing of policies, endorsements, submissions and other client related correspondence for new and existing accounts.
- Sends requests for additional information (inspection reports, financials, audits)
- Policy creation, binding, and issuance
- Issues notices of cancellation or reinstatement within authority
- Processing of endorsements and related correspondence
- Provides reports upon request
- Responsible for maintaining documentation in all Underwriting files
- Provides backup support for clearance processing
- Other duties as assigned
The Senior Casualty Underwriter will work in a team setting generating, underwriting and analyzing accounts for development of new and renewal commercial casualty business.
- Compliance with underwriting documentation rules and guidelines.
- Maintain an acceptable underwriting profit.
- Adherence to Admiral underwriting guidelines and referral compliance.
- Development and maintenance of key broker/agent relationships.
- Participates in all internal company training and continuing education.
- Remains current on product releases as it pertains to Commercial Casualty.
- Leads strategic marketing calls to key brokers (up to 25%).
- Management and development of business and broker relationships new to the organization.
- Stay abreast and knowledgeable on market trends in terms of forms, coverage and appetite to maintain competitiveness.
- Active mentorship and training of Associate Underwriters and Underwriters.
- Act as a referral authority for Associate Underwriters and Underwriters.
The Senior Loss Control Specialist provides occupational risk assessment and risk management services in support of developing and retaining select clients aligned with the business objectives of the company. In alignment with the assigned book of business, s/he also establishes the client’s risks management business plans, participates in the client risk management process and identifies and supports opportunities to enhance client management of occupational risk. Supports underwriting with risk selection and ongoing account management. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conducts new business and renewal Loss Control surveys in support of Underwriting risk selection practices
- Provides policyholder Loss Control services targeting loss performance improvement and retention
- Collaborates with Underwriting, Claims, the policyholder and agent in the delivery and execution of Loss Control survey and service practices
- Imparts strong technical and business skills across all major lines of coverage with peers, business partners and external customers
- Supports the continual improvement and growth of the Loss Control Department through internal training and education, practice and procedure development, and process enhancement contributions
- Fosters and sustains professional relationships with peers, business partners, policyholders and agents
- Conducts multi-coverage line Loss Control surveys on a broad spectrum of industries of varying size and complexity in the Middle Market segment
- Submits recommendations and manages their follow-up internally and externally to improve risk conditions
- Facilitates, develops and delivers Loss Control services to targeted policyholders through analyses, planning and collaboration
- Fosters relationships with policyholders and agents aligned to Loss Control objectives targeting brand recognition and value
- Participates in individual and team-based agency visits focusing on the delivery of technical capability, policyholder support and brand value.
- Shares existing and newly acquired technical knowledge with policyholders, agents, peers and business partners through training and education practices
- Keeps abreast of industry and technical news and developments and share the knowledge gained with peers, business partners, policyholders and agents
- Participates and contributes to internal, multi-discipline round table meetings targeting lessons-learned from losses
The Claims Intern will work closely with key team members to learn and participate in all aspects of GL and PL claims handling for Admiral business. This temporary role will require a minimum commitment of 15 hours weekly on site with potential for full-time placement in Spring, 2022!
- Familiarization with Commercial General Liability and Professional Liability Policies in order to evaluate coverage for claims.
- Initiate handling of new claims in order to implement coverage and claim evaluation skills.
- Attend Claims Committee and underwriting meetings.
- Learn litigation management of claims.
- Conduct research projects.
- Assist Claims Managers and Superintendents as needed.
The Chief Information Officer provides strategic direction and leadership for the IT Development of the Berkley Small Business Solutions operating unit. Proactively participates with the senior management team and functional department staffs in developing and executing strategic and operational plans to meet business objectives.
Berkley Small Business Solutions will consider candidates in West Hartford, CT and Wilmington, DE. Remote opportunities are available.
- Continue to develop the small business IT platform and create a strong technology stack.
- Establish and run an IT Governance process that balances the business needs across the organization.
- Responsible for assessing and ensuring strict compliance with corporate standards for data and IT systems. People and Team Management.
- Ability to build a disciplined, efficient SDLC process
- Explore, identify, and deliver new automation and technology that provides efficiency, ease of use, and a competitive advantage in small business.
- Provide leadership to the IT team. Establish goals and performance metrics. Perform reviews, coach staff for success to grow and develop team. Manages internal and external resources.
The Chief Underwriting Officer provides strategic direction and leadership for the Underwriting & Risk Control functions. Proactively participates with the senior management team and functional department staffs in developing and executing strategic and operational plans to meet business objectives.
- Directs successful implementation of portfolio growth by influencing, advising and collaborating with senior-level peers (SLT) to set priorities, share relevant information and ensure collective planning.
- Builds a long-term business plan including underwriting appetite, product, staffing, functional support needs and an execution.
- Understanding the nuances, dynamics, and necessities of flow business.
- Deliver underwriting profitability by managing risk selection and portfolio composition
- Ensure full compliance with all underwriting guidelines, authority grants and underwriting strategy through direct interaction and collaboration with all underwriters on both a transactional and portfolio basis. This would include but not be limited to: handling referrals; ensuring the proper governance provisions are in place through the self-audit and audit processes; liaising with Legal, Product Development, Corporate Underwriting and Actuarial to deliver suitable policy forms and endorsements and the proper tools to best analyze individual risk and portfolio characteristics;
- Provide on-going underwriting training and development of new and existing staff by identifying both emerging risks and growth opportunities and delivering educational content to align with same;
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) reports to the company President and is a key member of the senior leadership team who must be willing to challenge the status quo while championing the strategic direction of the company. S/he understands the importance of culture, brand and market strategy, and has strong emotional intelligence. The CFO provides leadership for development, implementation, & evaluation of policies and procedures, strategies and performance of the financial functions. Willing to embrace business insights and follow the key drivers of business, the CFO serves as a strategic advisor across the company.
Berkley Small Business Solutions will consider candidates in West Hartford, CT and Wilmington, DE. Remote opportunities are available.
- Acts as a key finance/accounting leader and member of the Senior Leadership team with a strategic mindset that anticipates and plans for the future.
- Acts as both leader and collaborator with the capacity to bring together cross-function leaders in a way that fosters collaboration and innovation.
- Responsible for the financial management of both long and short-range planning while building scalable systems and processes.
- Handles responsibility for management oversight of treasury, accounting, budgeting, premium audit, agency bill and accounts receivables teams and deliverables.
- Provides financial reporting and forecasting that ensures the company’s financial viability.
- Ensures appropriate reimbursement and maintaining of internal controls, ensuring a successful audit.
- Understands in-depth the market opportunity, strategy and business model of BSBS while providing a unique perspective across all departments.
- Monitors financial status of the organization working with the President on strategic direction.
- Provides and executes on data, information and insights.
- Understands performance trends and develops and implements strategies that optimize the opportunities.
- Works with the President to achieve optimal results with a focus on accelerating speed of execution and delivering intended outcomes while driving out cost.
- Leads the finance team, setting clear goals and expectations to achieve optimal performance.
- Represents the organization within the Berkley Company, collaborating effectively with business partners, peer companies, and other WRBC departments as called upon.
Works with end users and internal staff to develop and translate business requirements for projects deliverables. Answers developer and end user questions through the development life cycle.
- Establish a strong relationship with our internal business units, as well as with other Berkley companies.
- Collaborate with staff from all business units to understand and document business requirements for complex applications.
- Define and document project scope, goals, objectives, and success criteria.
- Recognize and address cross functional dependencies that arise during projects.
- Identify gaps and process improvement opportunities in our production environment, on both business and technical sides.
- Represent Verus and act as liaison on large cross company projects.
- Facilitate requirements gathering sessions through face-to-face and WebEx meetings.
- Translate business needs to detailed requirements for software development.
- Provide requirements documentation to BTS for system enhancements.
- Provide requirements documentation to Verus developers for Verus system enhancements.
- Create documentation for new applications and systems.
- Update existing documentation as needed.
- Manage the testing process from start to finish.
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Complete mid to large projects with little supervision.
- Train end users.
Working both internally and with external users:
- Collaborate with development and testing teams to provide subject matter expertise, ensure that out of the box functionality is leveraged and assist in troubleshooting and resolving issues
- Collaborates with internal and external developers and engineers as the subject matter expert for all programs policy management system questions related to data entry, rating and forms.
- Participate in the development and planning of the User Acceptance Testing activities, including test plans and scripts, based on requirements.
- Facilitate UAT execution phase and work with business lead and project manager to obtain user acceptance test signoff.
- Resolve data quality problems. Activities include: Identify, assess, fix, document, and communicate quality issues in the way data is collected, stored, processed, or used. This may involve interacting with business users to resolve data quality problems using techniques such as root cause analysis as well as collecting user requirements.
- Creating appropriate documentation that allows stakeholders to understand the steps of the data analysis process and duplicate or replicate the analysis if necessary.
- Serve as a liaison between Program Manager, individual users, and technical teams to act as a “help desk” for the users.
- Identify and translate business needs into clearly defined requirements, and create documentation inclusive of business use cases, process flows, data flows, traceability matrices and report mock-ups.
- Plan, facilitate, and conduct requirements gathering sessions, meetings, and presentations.
- Build strong relationships within the business units, support functions and the Program Manager to understand the business needs.
- Proactively works to understand how the entire enterprise functions. Makes an effort to understand the underlying aspects of the business that drive management decisions.
- Analyze test results, identify issues and work with the programmers to get the issues resolved until product is ready for production.
- Assist with data quality and reconciliation for programs premium and claims information in BCIM Data Warehouse
The SVP, Operations will be responsible for oversight of the operational and administrative functions of the Operating Unit. The role will function as a strategic partner to the CEO and its leadership team and collaborate in setting and driving organizational vision, operational strategy, innovation and hiring needs.
- Collaborates with the leadership team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and people designed to accommodate the growth objectives of the Operating Unit.
- Oversees the Operating Unit’s Data/Technology, Home Office Underwriting, Facilities/Administration, Product Management & HO UW functions.
- Coordinates company operational functions to support underwriting, claims, finance, and product development.
- Analyze internal operations and identify areas of process enhancement, opportunities to drive innovation and leverage data & technology.
- Designs and implements business strategies, plans and procedures to enhance company growth.
- Monitor performance with tracking and establish corrective measures as needed, and prepare detailed reports, both current and forecasting.
- Stays abreast of regulations and legislation, as well as other policy-impacting events that directly affect the industry, or Admiral business directly.
- Manages relationships with partners/vendors as necessary.
The Attorney handles all aspects of litigation for property and casualty related claims. Provides technical and strategic expertise to manage claims assuring that exposures are timely recognized and resolution plans are well formulated and executed. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide legal representation in a wide array of real estate and restaurant litigation cases.
- Prosecute and defend major subrogation and insurance coverage claims.
- Inform other functional departments (underwriting, actuarial, finance) of positive/negative conditions noted during litigation which may impact company results.
- Drive favorable loss cost results by influencing, planning and guidance on individual claims
- Provide ongoing analysis of technical material (i.e. case law, regulations) to determine the impact on claim operations and provide necessary guidance and assistance to the claims department
The Controller is an experienced financial professional who provides leadership and management of the financial reporting, planning and analysis for Gemini Transportation, a profitable and growing excess commercial automotive insurance business unit. S/he assists the business unit management team with profitability analysis, short- and long-term forecasting, executing on innovation initiatives and other special projects.
This is an exceptional opportunity for an Accounting professional who is looking for career advancement while maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Directing management of corporate GAAP & Statutory and internal management reporting
- Analyzing operating results on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Overseeing daily operations of the Finance department performing transactional accounting consisting of billing and cash receipts processes and reinsurance accounting
- Monitoring expenses and suggesting productivity improvements and/or expense saving initiatives
- Ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal reporting requirements
- Working with department managers to develop the annual budget and plan
- Developing forecasting models to assist Senior Leadership with business decision support
- Directing financial and SOX audits and providing recommendations for procedural improvements
- Performing financial analysis of insureds to assess credit risk when requested
The Senior Vice President is responsible for providing overall leadership and strategic direction for their designated underwriting units. Establish strategies and objectives, coordinating with all organizational goals and standards. Accountable for financial performance/profitability, production and oversight of product development for designated line of business.
- Work with Department VPs on the development and implementation of a strategic plan for organization consistent with the goals of the company.
- Oversight of new or improved products and/or services. Identify strategic market opportunities for growth and competitiveness.
- Accountability for developing business unit profit goals and achieving both short- and long-term objectives.
- Assist the Executive Vice President in the development of strategic objectives and operating policies/procedures to ensure attainment of these objectives.
- Collaborate, design, review and recommend policies, processes, procedures and technology to meet internal and external reporting requirements, improve operation efficiency and safeguard corporate assets working with Actuarial and Compliance areas to execute.
- Drive product development based on market needs.
- Management of marketing key broker accounts.
- Work may be performed primarily in an office.
- Travel as needed.
The Finance Services Specialist is responsible for understanding policy and claim systems and processes as they relate to Finance, in order to address client and internal inquiries, in particular to premium and deductible billings.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain current receivable aging reports and undertake action plans for collecting past due balances, in accordance with Company policy
- Post refund and subrogation reimbursements to the claim system
- Assist with deductible billings and inquiries
- Function as the primary backup resource for processing and billing reporting-based payrolls and responding to related client inquiries, as part of the Finance client service team
- Maintain written policies and procedures for these functions
- Work effectively with team members and management to achieve continuous process improvement, strengthen internal controls and promote a collaborative work environment
Key Risk is looking for an enthusiastic and experienced underwriter to join our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for contributing to achieving and exceeding the regions’ profit plan through proper risk selection, agency management, and communication of Key Risk’s value proposition.
Key functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Underwrites accounts up to $750,000 annual premium
- Manage a book of business $5,000,000 to $7,000,000
- Develops and maintains relationships with 10-15 agencies
- Responsible for a moderate number of agencies including partners with Advantage and/or Premier status within our Key Alliance agency structure
- Achieves/exceeds planned accident year loss ratio, rate change, renewal retention and inforce premium goals
- Takes initiative to recommend potential improvements in underwriting principles, techniques or appetite
- Complies with insurance filings and regulatory requirements
- Research new market niches, serve as an industry lead, and participate in special projects
- Establishes a knowledge base of agency needs, staff, target markets, and contracted insurers
- Performs agency evaluations and establishes agency goals within required time frames and expectations
- Participates effectively in new and renewal team sales activities and Client Service Management (CSM) meetings to obtain and retain profitable business
The successful candidate will work closely with other ERM team members and other functions within corporate. The business focus of our ERM team also requires collaboration with colleagues across a range of disciplines in our operating companies. Key responsibilities include:
Property and Casualty Catastrophe Modeling and Analysis
- Model US natural perils and terrorism accumulations for property and workers’ compensation business lines for several of the Group’s operating units.
- Communicate modeling results with the operating units, and assisting them in fully utilizing these results in their pricing and exposure management.
- Assist with corporate reporting on worldwide catastrophe modeling.
- Assist with validation of vendor catastrophe models including evaluation of new model releases.
- Assist with monitoring and measuring the Group’s exposure to cyber risk through collating and analyzing both company and industry data
- Assist with monitoring and measuring casualty accumulations through collating and analyzing both company and industry data
Enterprise Risk Management Assessment and Reporting
- Work closely with each operating unit to assist them in implementing and maintaining operating unit enterprise risk management assessments across all risk categories from underwriting to operational. Collate and analyze risk assessment results from operating companies and produce summary reports.
- Assist in production of ERM reports for rating agencies, regulators and internal purposes
- Support our international companies in their ERM reporting
- Assist with research and monitoring of emerging risks with potential to materially impact the Groups’ results, such as impact from climate change
The Claims Supervisor is responsible for the analysis and supervision of claim files within their units. File supervision includes: coverage analysis, conformance to file plans, reserve accuracy, effective negotiation and appropriate resolution. The Claims Supervisor is a mentor to not only the specific unit, but also the entire claim department and is available for consultation/discussion with staff as the primary responsibility. The position is responsible for staff training and development. The Claims Supervisor will work closely with other Unit Supervisors/Managers to insure the efficient and effective resolution of issues. The Claims Supervisor is charged with managing pending claims, improving file quality and controlling expenses. The Claims Supervisor will conduct the management of claims in the utmost of good faith in compliance with the rules, regulations and statutes of the WCAB and State of California. The Claims Supervisor is expected to function at a level of expertise and competency commensurate with experience, while exercising good judgment and independent discretion. The Claims Supervisor is expected to support Company goals and advance Company values.
Direct responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Direct management of staff of 6-7 examiners and their claim files.
- Analyzes file plans.
- Approve action plans in accordance with best practices.
- Completes 24 TQR per examiner per quarter with emphasis on file quality and lost economic opportunity.
- Document the claim file of all activities taken.
- Work with the examiner throughout the life of the claim.
- Use appropriate cost containment techniques including strategic vendor partnerships to reduce overall cost of claims.
- Frequently communicate with all appropriate parties involved with the claim.
- Maintain professional vendor relationships.
- Actively execute appropriate claims activities to ensure consistent delivery of quality claims service.
The Broker Operations Manager will lead our company’s internal effort to increase business opportunities through our internal brokerage system, Berkley Connect. This position partners with other Berkley operating units to maximize Berkley Aspire’s opportunity to quote internal standard lines declinations. This position works across all functional areas to achieve operational excellence through continuous improvement of process efficiency and workflow.
- Manage all broker operations activities including, but not limited to:
o researching and selecting the appropriate operational systems for broker operations
o overseeing office functions to assure efficient, timely, and high-quality services delivery,
o communicating with/responding to internal and external customer concerns
o handling all agent/broker appointments and paperwork
o managing the issuance of policies, endorsements, and billing for business placed.
- Serve as the compliance lead for broker operations
- Recommend and execute procedural changes to improve overall effectiveness
- Exercises administrative judgment and assumes responsibility for decisions, consequences, and results within the department
- Manage department quality and production standards for optimum results
- Monitor performance according to agreed standards and take necessary action to communicate/advise/assist in performance management
- Review, define, and manage process workflows, policies, and procedures
- Develop self, and maintain knowledge in relevant field at all times
- Create and maintain ad-hoc reporting tools and work with IT to develop comprehensive IT based reporting
- Manage the completion of account transactions and claims intake when necessary
The Casualty Product Director’s primary job function includes managing the day-to-day operation of the product development function, evaluates insurance industry developments to create and update company products and procedures.
- Maintains line of business profitability.
- Analyzes market conditions of forms, endorsements, and rates.
- Reviews industry publications and monitors pending legislation and regulations to determine impact of new developments on company insurance products.
- Collaborates with production underwriting, legal, and IT teams.
- Consults with designated company team members to disseminate language or provision changes.
- Prepares documents or directives needed to implement changes including distribution and notification to internal and external customers.
- Corresponds or consults with agents, brokers, and other interested persons to determine feasibility and marketability of new products to meet competition and increase sales.
- Oversees development and maintenance of E-Guide, forms on web portal and other electronic products that may arise including notification of changes to internal and external customers.
- Development of special products or programs, underwriting procedures and educational seminars including notification and distribution to internal and external customers.
- Assists in the creation and maintenance of rate and form filings for products or lines of business in designated states including notification and distribution to internal and external customers.
- Reviews and monitors progress of projects to ensure completion by assigned deadlines.
- Carries out management responsibilities with small product team in accordance with the Company policies, goals and applicable laws. Responsibilities include hiring, training, directing work, engaging, appraising, rewarding, and managing performance.
Berkley One, a Berkley company that caters to affluent Personal Lines insurance clients, is rapidly expanding and adding to the Solutions Specialist team in our Wilmington, DE office. This role’s primary objective is to deliver all that is great about Berkley One and to help our agents place business with us. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Customer Policy Support: deliver a personalized, effortless experience for our customers via phone, email or chat. Handle customer transactions smoothly, accurately and first time final. Be an advocate for the Company during first notice of loss interactions by displaying empathy and ensuring the situation is properly handled.
- Agency Policy Support: act as primary point of contact for agents to get their Berkley One questions resolved. Process individual policy work submitted by the agents via phone, email or chat. Answer policy inquiry questions and assist the agency with handling servicing needs. Assist agents with finishing their quotes and converting them into policies. Combine your sales and system savvy to drive profitable growth for the organization.
- Agent Technical Support: help agents with access, passwords, and myriad of other tasks. Remote into their computers to show them how to work in the system in real time. Provide “in the moment” training on the Customer Portal and Customer Mobile App so the agent is empowered to share with customers.
- Agent onboarding: enroll new agents/staff into our system, handle contracts, track agency license numbers and other licensing information, issue paperwork.
- Agent training: primarily responsible to deliver system training by hosting webcasts and offering live support to agents navigating the system to quote, endorse and manage their business. Systems include the PAS, billing, claims and agent portal, eSignature, IVANS download and other ancillary systems.