The Underwriter will work closely with the Senior Underwriting team, and Chief Actuary, to analyze risk, exposure, loss and coverage information for group and individual risk accounts, to structure and price programs that are financially efficient for the insured and profitable for the company, and will Identify and utilize data-driven analyses to drive marketing efforts relative to customer acquisition and retention. The Underwriter will also work closely with the Senior Underwriting team to manage existing broker and client relationships.
- Review new and renewal submissions for completeness and address any discrepancies with the broker.
- Organize and aggregate loss and exposure information and input into pricing models.
- Analyze and interpret risk data and complete an underwriting workbook for each eligible risk.
- Work with actuarial to understand the key components of the pricing models.
- Establish and maintain broker relationships though superior levels of service and direct broker engagement.
- Attend industry client centric events
- Assist with the development of new products, services, process improvements, and marketing initiatives
- Attend marketing calls to brokers and clients, and when necessary, coordinate with Executive, Underwriting, and Claims.
- Under direction of Management, work on ad hoc projects as needed.
- Assist with the issuance of policies, endorsements and billing.
- Process reinsurance transactions, where applicable.
- When necessary, complete account transactions as required
- Process new business/renewals and endorsements for assigned accounts and perform underwriting analysis for some routine new and renewal busines
Berkley Public Entity Managers
NJ, Ewing - 200 Princeton S - Suite 280
The Senior Vice President, Claims is responsible for the overall management and direction of the claims department. Equally as important, participation on the Executive Team that establishes the strategic direction for the company and ensures the overall profitability and success of the company in the public entity market.
Member of Executive Team
- Proactive participation on Executive Team which establishes and executes the strategic direction of the company
- Work closely with the CEO to discuss, evaluate, and implement strategic directions for the claims operation that supports the overall direction of the company
- Establish solid relationships with other members of the Executive Team in order to improve team performance
- Be able to clearly communicate strategic direction to both internal resources and outside partners and insureds
Overall Management of Claims Operation
- Manage a growing team of claims professionals by establishing clear performance metrics
- Implement strong policies and procedures designed to produce the desired results
- Ensure the continual professional development of claims professionals on the team by coordinating both internal and external training and development opportunities
- Establish clear reserving standards and ensure that those standards are continually met
- Identify issues and trends in the portfolio; take appropriate and/or corrective action where necessary; communicate trends to underwriters, insureds and brokers
- Identify claims with significant exposure and take a more active role coordinating a strategy for an appropriate resolution
- Coordinate with underwriting on current and proposed policy language and new markets to enter
Develop Berkley Public Entity into a "Thought Leader" within the public entity marketplace
- Proactively establish relationships with brokers and insureds in order to maximize the competitive advantage derived from the claims operation.
- Develop and manage the reputation of BPE’s claims handling in the market
- Attend industry conventions and events and become a sought out thought leader on developing issues
- Attend marketing, account renewal, and reinsurance meetings as appropriate in order to communicate our claims handling philosophy and leading position in this area
- Instill the above philosophies into all claims professionals at the company
- Work closely with company’s loss control function to provide value-added services to our insureds that reduce our exposure to loss
Liaison to internal and external partners of the company
- Liaison with parent company, WR Berkley, on significant individual claims and trends identified in the overall portfolio
- Communicate portfolio trends and potential solutions to underwriting and actuarial areas
- Participate on quarterly performance calls with parent company in anticipation of earnings releases