Please Enable Cookies to Continue
Please enable cookies in your browser to experience all the personalized features of this site, including the ability to apply for a job.
Here are our current job openings. Please click on the job title for more information, and apply from that page if you are interested.
The system cannot access your location for 1 of 2 reasons:
- Permission to access your location has been denied. Please reload the page and allow the browser to access your location information.
- Your location information has yet to be received. Please wait a moment then hit [Search] again.
Click column header to sort
The President is responsible for the successful management of virtually all aspects of the specific “stand alone” Operating Unit. S/he provides leadership and direction to the entire team including dedicated underwriting, claims, actuarial, marketing, technology and finance and is expected to develop and execute strategies that deliver high risk-adjusted financial returns and growth in favorable situations while managing risk. S/he understands, is passionate about and serves as role model for the core cultural norms of W. R. Berkley Corporation including dedication to integrity, honesty and the highest level of business ethics. Key functions include, but are not limited to:
- Drive shareholder value through appropriate risk-adjusted returns.
- Leverage the successful attributes of the Berkley Company while developing new strategies to further the Company’s growth and profitability.
- Assess the organizational structure and hiring requirements to align with both the current and future needs of the business.
- Report regularly to the EVP and more formally on a quarterly basis to parent company CEO and President, Chief Financial Officer, and its Chief Actuary.
- Set and drive strategic and operational objectives towards achievable short-term successes while making progress towards long-term goals.
- Continually monitor objectives for financial returns, risk management, marketing and competitive advantages.
- Position the Company within the market as preferred partner.
- Inspire the team to be creative when leveraging their knowledge of the business and engage in exploring and experimenting with the opportunities for the business in the future.
- Drive underwriting excellence through a high level of engagement in the business, data and analytics, and regular communication throughout the Company.
- Ensure the achievement of continued profitability, growth and operational efficiencies through managing the business, underwriting profitability, claims and expenses.
- Create a culture consistent within the greater organization for having teams that excel in their industry knowledge, take pride in their ownership of the business and strive for delivering value to their stakeholders.
At BPE, we recognize that our success is driven by the hard work and dedication of our employees. As an Underwriter Trainee, you'll play a critical role in helping us provide exceptional service to our clients and achieve our business objectives. You'll be supporting our experienced underwriters in the production, underwriting and servicing of new and renewal accounts developing tailored coverage solutions that meet the specific needs (and retention of) our Public Entity clients (i.e. municipalities, schools, fire and police departments, etc.).
You'll receive ongoing training and development, to become an Underwriter. You'll work alongside a team of knowledgeable and experienced underwriters, who are passionate about what they do and committed to providing exceptional service to our clients.
We'll count on you to:
- Perform reserving and processing of new business accounts
- Provide underwriters with assistance managing the underwriting file by organizing and aggregating loss and exposure information into pricing models
- Be knowledgeable of compliance regulations, underwriting documentation rules and guidelines, adheres to policies accordingly
- Remain current on product releases as it pertains to BPE lines of business as well as provide assistance during the product development process
- Attend strategic marketing calls and events with key brokers
- When necessary, assist with the issuance of policies, endorsements and billing, process reinsurance transactions, complete account transactions as required, and assist with the processing of new business/renewals and endorsements for assigned accounts and perform underwriting analysis for some routine new and renewal business applications.
- Assists with ad hoc projects as required
The Senior Vice President, Chief Claims Officer is responsible for the overall management and direction of the claims department. Equally as important, participation on the Executive Team that establishes the strategic direction for the company and ensures the overall profitability and success of the company in the public entity market.
Claims are handled by the insured through self-administration or the insured hires a TPA. The BPE claims team provides oversight, consultation, and influence management in the claims process and will sometimes take over handling of the claim if the limits are tendered to us. The claims department is also responsible for establishing reserves.
Overall Management of Claims Operation
- Manage a growing team of claims professionals by establishing clear performance metrics
- Implement strong policies and procedures designed to produce the desired results
- Ensure the continual development of claims professionals on the team by coordinating both internal and external training and development opportunities
- Establish clear reserving standards and ensure that those standards are continually met
- Identify issues and trends in the portfolio; take appropriate and/or corrective action where necessary; communicate trends to underwriters, insureds and brokers
- Identify claims with significant exposure and take a more active role coordinating a strategy for an appropriate resolution
- Oversee audits of TPA’s and insureds to evaluate claims management processes and procedures and reserve strength
- Attend industry conventions and events and become a sought out thought leader on developing issues
- Attend marketing, account renewal, and reinsurance meetings as appropriate in order to communicate our claims handling philosophy and leading position in this area
Relationship Building / Teamwork
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with insureds and TPA’s in order to effect positive influence management over claims handling
- Establish strong and collaborative relationships with external brokers in order the enhance the market reputation of BPE and maximize the competitive advantage derived from claims handling
- Communicate effectively with parent company on significant and complex claims
- Collaborate effectively with Operations team to ensure efficient and effective procedures in the claims area
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with underwriting team in order to provide insight and guidance on the claims handling practices of individual current and prospective insureds
- Communicate effectively with the actuarial team around trends in the portfolio and long-term prospects for individual claims / insureds
- Work effectively with the underwriting team and other executives on current and proposed policy language
- Identify and develop external expertise in certain types of claims such as jails, police activity, etc.
Member of Executive Team
- Proactive participation on Executive Team which establishes and executes the strategic direction of the company
- Work closely with the CEO to discuss, evaluate, and implement strategic directions for the claims operation that supports the overall direction of the company
- Establish solid relationships with other members of the Executive Team in order to improve team performance
- Be able to clearly communicate strategic direction to both internal resources and outside partners and insureds