The Business Systems Analyst position will be providing support of one or more applications to various member companies of the corporation. The position will involve developing, implementing, and supporting technical solutions for customers.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
•Supports company BA/BCA and development staff in creation of application and system integration.
•Provides tier 2 service desk application support and trouble shooting.
•Develops and executes simple SQL scripts to resolve production issues and create reports.
•Monitor / track issues until resolution and determine impacts resulting from issue.
•May Coordinates Minor software release schedule and approval process with Release Management, development staff, Business System Analysts, and customers.
•Able to provide root cause analyze when troubleshooting system issues.
•Develops advanced requirements based on customer request and/or requirements. Assist in writing requirements, design, testing and/or initiation of projects to help provide solutions for our customers.
•Develops technical specifications to solve a business need or problem.
•May Coordinates Minor software release schedule and approval process with development staff, Business System Analysts, and other BTS staff.
•May define XML schemas for web services.
•Develops and executes SQL commands to accomplish data model changes and is involved in data modeling. May also include report generation.
•Monitor or track tasks until completion to insure delivery to customers.
•Active participant in design sessions and other technical meetings involving system changes.
Shared between the 2 roles outlined above:
•Work with business to understand system issues.
•Knowledgeable on a specific set of components within an application or a single application.
•Communicate issues effectively to multiple levels within the organization.
•Recreate issues and document requirements for bug fixes and/or system enhancements.
•Create documentation and training materials, Provide end-user training to internal and external customers.
•Assists in release software upgrades to customers (internal/external to BTS), including testing.
•Travel for position is up to 10%.
- Demonstrates a robust understanding of all business data processes/processing for a system, and the related data structures
- Can produce significant new system functionality or defect resolution with minimal direction
- Creates design specifications that demonstrate an understanding of most interfacing systems and supported business processes. (can understanding business processes go to the developer/analyst)
- Routinely proposes improvements to a data process and/or structure to improve supportability or usability.
- Can perform adequate peer review on any changes in the system
- Can be consulted to provide recommendations to solve business issues based on experience and knowledge of current technology
- Demonstrates understanding of data processes and/or structures
- Will be required to communicate with employees primarily up to the mid-level within both company and client companies.
- May provide mentorship to others
- May begin to develop sphere of influence with other teams.
- Will be required to communicate and coordinate within the team.
- May be responsible for on-call rotation.
- Some travel required up to 20%
Surveys business operations and consults with policyholders and underwriting to determine the type and level of exposures and controls needed. Determines customers’ ability to control the exposures by gathering information through physical surveys, program audits, loss history analysis, comparison to industry standards and customer interviews. Provides training, mentoring, specialized technical advice and counsel to staff and customers. Assists Underwriters with risk selection and ongoing account management.
The Underwriter will work in a team setting generating, underwriting and analyzing accounts for development of new and renewal commercial casualty business.
- Compliance with underwriting documentation rules and guidelines.
- Maintain an acceptable underwriting profit.
- Adherence to Admiral underwriting guidelines and referral compliance.
- Development and maintenance of key broker/agent relationships.
- Participates in all internal company training and continuing education.
- Remains current on product releases as it pertains to Commercial Casualty.
- Management and development of business and broker relationships new to the organization.
- Stay abreast and knowledgeable on market trends in terms of forms, coverage and appetite to maintain competitiveness.
- Act as referral authority for Associate Underwriters
The Senior Data Governance Analyst will report to the Corporate Data Manager within the EPMO function and collaborate with multiple stakeholders across the organization to support the strategic Berkley data pipeline initiative called the Berkley Data Warehouse (BDW) in an effort to maximize the value and integration of our enterprise data assets.
- Build out and maintain data governance processes and data element relationships facilitating the most optimal fit for the business while aligning with the current capabilities of the BDW solution.
- Collaborate with multiple WRBC business units and IT team members to document and implement Data Governance standards. Instill Data Governance standards and best practices while enabling the data steward model across the organization.
- Capture and manage metadata to ensure data integrity. Track and manage data quality exception remediation process using the Data Governance Dashboard.
- Collaborate with multiple WRBC business units and IT team members to validate that data is accurate, complete and appropriate for its intended use. Similarly, work with the above-mentioned stakeholders to ensure source to target mappings.
- Design, build and deploy Data Governance workflows, templates and other artifacts to facilitate execution of various governance functions. Also, work with WRBC business units to ensure compliance with the enterprise data governance procedures and provide guidance on business process changes in reference to data quality.
- Maintain the Information Governance Catalog (IGC) and Reference Data Management (RDM) tools that support the data standards for the BDW solution.
- Take high-level project requirements and formulate timelines, milestones, and tasks as part of project execution. Provide project status reports to management regarding project progress.
- Take business requirements from the various projects, and translate them into novel technological solutions, utilizing data and predictive analytics, ensuring that the solution meets business requirements, integrates into existing business processes, and delivers sound predictions and/or analytic output.
- Meet with decision makers, systems owners, and end users to define business, financial, and operations requirements and systems goals, and identify and resolve systems issues.
- Design and implement methods for the ongoing monitoring of model predictions and performance.
- Report on prediction accuracy, model stability, and show model is operating within statistically acceptable boundaries.
- Work alone or in conjunction with the team members to see that proper data and/or data structures are obtained for assigned projects. Identify and provide detailed documentation regarding new data and data structures. Assist in testing of new data and/or data structures.
- Continuously explore data, data structures, modeling techniques, algorithms, software, and testing methodologies to ensure best practices are employed in modeling efforts.
- Work with internal and external customers to assist with adoption and utilization of MEC predictive models.
The Senior Software Developer is Responsible for the design, development, maintenance and enhancement of applications utilized by Admiral Insurance and its business partners. Develop an application design that will satisfy the immediate requirement as well as provide opportunities for long-term expansion. Possess an ability to effectively explain the design to members of IT management and staff in both verbal and written forms. Complete research and development on new programming tools and third-party toolkits, and provide recommendations to IT Management regarding how to move forward with new technology. Act as a lead reference to the users of applications developed and maintained by the IT Department.
The Business Development Specialist is accountable for providing direction and leadership for their assigned territory. Partners with management team to ensure effective marketing, planning and execution resulting in retention, growth and profitability of business. Leads and influences agencies through creation and execution of sales strategies that drive an effective pipeline of new clients, profit and retention. Identifies new distribution opportunities and recommends agency appointments, while increasing relevancy in existing agencies.
- Serves as primary relationship, sales and business development leader for the territory. Travels to enhance relationships with agencies and clients resulting in business retention and new business opportunities.
- Collaborates with agencies and leadership in establishing new customer relationships and to identify, research, and develop pipeline opportunities. Drives the sales processes including prospect prioritization, initial contact and pursuit strategy, identification of opportunity, due diligence and overall management of new customer acquisition.
- Works with Underwriting and Underwriting Management to manage the territory book of business and identifies market opportunities by analyzing competitor intelligence, market and industry research, loss ratios, mix of business, policy count, premium growth, hit ratios and business retention.
- Develops, maintains and enhances client relationship related to profit improvement and Risk Control compliance. Uses resources available to build pipeline of new customer leads in conjunction with key agency partners. Maximizes the agency segmentation process and associated resource commitments.
- Ensures that tools, training and support are in place to positively impact success for the agencies and territory. Identified and communicates training needs and opportunities. Participates in program and product orientation meetings in conjunction with internal business partners including but is not limited to Underwriting, Risk Control, Actuary, Business Development, and Claims.
- Participates in the company’s distribution and operational planning process where current-year objectives are reviewed and future-years' objectives are developed. Aligns territory business objectives to support organizational goals of optimized profitability, managed growth and competitive advantage.
- Collaborates with Underwriting Management to establish and manage budgets and resources including explaining variances and related reporting.
Assistant Vice President, Life Sciences Production Underwriter
Location: Flexible Naperville, IL or Ewing, NJ.
The Life Sciences Production Underwriter reports to the SVP, Global Field Underwriting Officer and as a key contributor within the Berkley Life Sciences organization is responsible for the new business marketing and production, renewal underwriting and service of business for an assigned group of producers. Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Building strong relationships with brokers to ensure you meet or exceed financial goals including growth, profit, retention, and new business.
- Responsible for account solicitation, risk selection and analysis including the corresponding documentation, pricing and marketing of Berkley Life Sciences products and services for new and existing customers.
- Business development results for assigned territories
- Identifying opportunities for account rounding.
- Providing technical support to producers and insureds
- Staying current with all compliance, procedural and workflow changes.
- Working collaboratively and effectively with, underwriting associates, operations, legal, home office underwriting and claims
Senior level risk control technical specialist or expert in respective area of specialty; responsible for high level risk assessment, evaluation and/or delivery of risk control technical consulting services and support on the most complex risk exposures; building strategies, best practices and tools to support field risk control operations and technical services group outcomes.
- Responsible for providing high level industry segment technical expertise, training and consulting to support field risk control operations in achieving risk reduction outcomes and core organizational objectives through verbal, written, and on-site joint risk assessment.
- Independently, as member of group, or leader of team, identifies priority technical projects, research initiatives and key sources of loss within industry market segment or area of specialty to develop specialized products, resources, training and reports to assist in the recognition and mitigation of key risk exposures.
- Responsible for driving technical excellence for area of specialty throughout the organization and in support of business partners for the purpose of raising technical knowledge and understanding of new technologies, equipment, and regulations impacting industry segment, negatively or positively, to more timely identify alternative business and risk reduction methods, strategies, and solutions.
- Develops and submits results based, outcome oriented recommendations, action plans, and risk reduction opportunities utilizing specialized skill set, knowledge, and expertise. Assists in the planning, development, and facilitation of risk control workshops, seminars and other training for internal and external business partners. Measures effectiveness of technical improvement initiatives specific to industry segment and presents performance results to management.
Carolina Casualty is looking for a talented and experienced specialty auto insurance professional who will be responsible for overseeing the Specialty Auto operations. This person will be working closely with the Senior leadership and Underwriting team on designing, developing, and launching the new program.
- Manage risk approvals within authority while achieving the underwriting budget and service goals of the unit
- Supervise the underwriting profitability of the unit; underwriting and pricing of business and the identification of classes of business to be developed
- Interface with other functional support units in the company such as Claims, IT, and Finance to facilitate meeting the unit objectives
- Participate in the producer management process of the company, including business development for the assigned unit; interface with Sales/Marketing on producer activities and participate in producer visits
- Assist in the performance of underwriting audits as well as perform internal Underwriting audits
- Develop policies, procedures and best practices to be implemented within the department
- Identify and develop training activities for new & existing employees
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of current industry trends, issues & regulatory requirements
- Communicate on a timely basis with fellow underwriting professionals regarding issues of competition, acquisitions/mergers, legal decisions and other pertinent information relative to the insurance underwriting and/or claims area
- Develop premium goals and loss ratio targets for both Underwriters and agents
- Learn how our business works at all levels of the organization and customer base (internal, policyholders, agents, etc.)
- Participate in planning the user experience for all aspects of our digital portal
- Take a leading role in developing our portal and future offerings
- Develop and implement projects (research, sketch, code, test, roll out), involving stakeholders across the organization
- Stay on top of trends and new technology - Identify future tools and strategy, and create the business case for adoption and implementation
- Work closely with the IT and Leadership teams to manage timelines, resources and communication strategy
This position will be providing overall requirements gathering, design, development and support of one or more company applications for the various subsidiaries of the corporation.
- Design and develop .NET software for commercial insurance systems.
- Demonstrates the capability to resolve routine problems within a system or process
- Can modify existing functionality or provide minor improvements with limited direction
- Demonstrates solid development processes including code review, documentation, and unit testing
- Participates in BTS (Berkley Technology Services) initiatives to support WR Berkley company implementations
- Develops application enhancements based on requirements gathered from business users
- Provides feedback on business requirements to improve business functions
- Provides system, integration and process documentation
- Analyzes and resolve application bugs
- Provides high quality support for our customers
- Work as a collaborative part of a development team, which includes interactions with business analysts, quality assurance and end user resources.
- May provide rotating on-call support of production systems
- Ensure high-performing and scalable solutions by proactively monitoring and assessing various performance metrics both pre and post-implementation
- Provide end user mentoring and training in 1-1 and small group settings
- Partner with the various subsidiaries to create a vision for future advancement of our applications
- Travel for this position is approximately 5-10%
Key Risk is looking for an enthusiastic individual who wants to learn account management and technical knowledge of workers compensation claims.
- Interface with Underwriting, Risk Management, and clients in controlling costs and loss ratios
- Conduct investigation of workers' compensation claims assigned
- Handle all technical aspects of claims, including coverage, disability benefit management, medical management, litigation management, file management, subrogation, reserving and settlement
- Maintain and demonstrate knowledge of the Workers' Compensation Act and Rules and Regulations in jurisdictions assigned
- Immediately notify management of large exposures and comply with reinsurance reporting requirement
- Monitor expenses and effectiveness of inside/outside vendors
- Assume full responsibility for all phases of account management for accounts as assigned and inform management of any unfavorable trends
- Actively work with mentor in monitoring loss ratio for accounts assigned
- Participate in client meetings for training on claims issues and assist with claims service meetings for new accounts as requested
This two year internship opportunity provides experience in underwriting support services and exposure to underwriting. As a part of the internship, you will work with our Underwriting Services team learning about our Express Rate product. The duties will include:
- Processing applications through our online rating system will be the primary duty during the course of the internship. This will include working closely with our staff to ensure a quality product is delivered to our customers.
- Orientation to underwriting preparation: This will include exposure to industry specific resources such as proprietary rating programs, ReferenceConnect, AM Best, UW Workbench, Marshall Swift & Boeckh, Agency Portal, etc.
- Exposure to development opportunities (both industry specific and personal development) to include but not limited to Insurance self-study courses, online tutorials, etc.
Your second year experience will include:
- Continued work processing applications through our online rating system and providing feedback to 1st year interns on their application processing work. A key component of your second year will be working with the incoming class to assist them in learning the skills necessary for the internship program.
- Shadowing an Underwriter and learning more about the underwriting thought process.
- An opportunity to take an additional online CIC course outside the UACIC criteria.
- Shadowing Loss Control on visits, participating in agency visits, and exposure to regular business meetings.
- Exposure to the Regional Vice President and discussions on the operations of a Property & Casualty Insurance Carrier.
We are seeking a proven insurance leader with deep knowledge of commercial lines, data strategy, analytics and state of the art data science technology for our Head of Analytics role. This position offers the opportunity to build a data driven decision making culture and to define strategy for use of both basic and advanced analytics including artificial intelligence (machine learning and deep learning) to produce quality analytics and predictive modeling to support decisions and further WRBC goals. The preferred location is in Greenwich, CT headquarters but will consider locations within driving distance of Greenwich. We will also consider the Cleveland, OH area.
- Organize and lead analytics center of excellence.
- Participate in a data council to provide insight and input to the WRBC data strategy.
- Set annual project plan based on input from Segment heads and Operating Units. Projects focus on enhancing profitability and business functions (e.g., claims, pricing, risk selection, premium audit selection, submission triage) but also may be exploratory to answer business questions.
- Develop individual project plans, timetables and deliverables. With IT and Business (including actuarial) ensure that plan addresses data collection, model iteration, validation and operationalizing both model and model results. Regularly communicate project status vs plan.
- Keep a log/catalogue of projects, code and models so that knowledge can be shared.
- Work with Business and IT to ensure that Big Data (Hadoop) platform is appropriately structured, accessed, protected and utilized. Follow procedures established.
- Establish best practices for model use and validation as well as for basic analytics for business intelligence purposes.
- Work with Business and IT to: expand availability and use of internal data (both structured and unstructured); develop strategy for data access for analysis and leverage data across WRBC; and facilitate the evolution of self service data preparation and analytics. Contribute to decisions made about information value, quality and reliability.
- Work with Business and IT to expand availability and use of external data (both structured and unstructured). Participate in research on data available from external sources and support efforts to acquire and make usable.
- Keep abreast of latest machine and deep learning tools, methodologies and data sets (open source and proprietary). Test and evaluate.
- Provide input and counsel to operating units. Provide quality control via peer review Operating Unit models and algorithms, etc.
- Provide regular forums for sharing of information (e.g., analytics forums and showcases). Provide training as needed for actuaries and citizen data scientists on R and other tools.
- Build team of data scientists, wranglers, munchers, etc. either at corporate or in shared service areas. Define job roles, recruit candidates and then manage directly or indirectly team of data science professionals.
The Chief Underwriting Officer (CUO) is the senior executive responsible for the underwriting strategy of the Company. Reporting to the President, and working with both Field and Staff functional areas, the CUO designs, implements, and monitors the underwriting activities for all four of the Company’s customer segments: Construction, Specialty Casualty (Manufacturing, Products) and Professional Liability.
Among other responsibilities, the Chief Underwriting Officer oversees:
• New Product Development and product lifecycle maintenance:
• Develop and implement best practices
• Vetting new-product ideas from both internal and external sources
• Underwriting appetite, guidelines, forms, forms usage, terms and conditions, training, and communications
• Underwriting Liaison with IT, Operations, Actuary, Finance, Marketing and Claims
• Implementation, performance monitoring and feedback loop
• Creation and maintenance of Underwriting Guidelines for all customer segments
• Quality and Compliance, including peer reviews, monthly management reviews, coordination of WRBC reviews, and development and implementation of automation support for the underwriting audit process
Referrals – highest-level underwriting authority for all four market segments, exercising sound judgment in risk selection, exposure analysis, pricing and coverage in evaluating and approving or rejecting individual-risk submissions from the field organization
• Training – the CUO will design and implement underwriting training programs to ensure that field underwriting staff perform at the highest skill levels
• Support Vela’s Field Management Team with their risk-selection strategies at both product-line and territorial levels
• Underwriting Analysis of the Programs (Books) - Monitor and analyze underwriting performance and results for desired underwriting outcomes, including heavy collaboration with Finance, Actuarial and IT
• Regulatory Issues - support, and coordinate with, Finance and Operations
• Develop and/or strengthen interdepartmental relationships with:
• Other disciplines
• Other WRBC member companies.
• Monitor and communicate emerging underwriting Issues that are relevant to Vela's current and future planned strategies, programs and processes.
• Leading Change
• Change Management
• Underwriting Culture Change
This position provides support for various member companies of Berkley Shared Services. The position involves rate indications across multiple lines of business and specialty business statements; gathering business requirements, development of custom spreadsheets, databases, and reports; communication and interaction with both internal and external resources; work with teams creating predictive models; rate filing support including rate indications for DOIs and support for coverage rates; competitive filing research and analysis; and special projects as assigned.
- Provide rate filing support including creating rate indications to send to the state DOIs, and development of proprietary rate support where needed.
- Perform rate indications including trend studies and predictive modeling to determine rate needs across a shared platform.
- Assist in analysis of rate and rule changes to provide member companies prospective estimates of regulatory changes in the platform.
- Conduct research and analyze competitor filings as needed to support development of new rating rules on the Shared platform
- Assists in the development, maintenance, and oversight of various databases, software, and other technological tools in support of the overall Berkley Shared Services platform.
- Develops effective working relationships with our customers and Shared Services teams through a demonstrated degree of knowledge, professionalism and enthusiasm. Other duties as assigned
The VP Chief Actuary will provide strategic direction and leadership to the Company's Actuarial function by proactively participates with the senior management team in developing and executing strategic plans to achieve the Company’s business objectives.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains actuarial policies and standards, ensuring they are consistent with regulatory and corporate standards.
- Ensures actuarial valuations comply with all relevant regulatory, accounting and professional standards and requirements.
- Leads the completion of Rate Reviews, Ratemaking and Actuarial Indications including support of forecasting investment rate of return, underwriting expense provisions, frequency/severity and exposure trends. Innovates and improves both accuracy and efficiency in the processes.
- Leads the regular preparation of adequate loss and expense reserves estimates, including any financial information pertaining to reserves needed by the Financial Department, company management, or corporate.
- Adapts and develops rating methodologies for both existing and new company products using advanced techniques to incorporate new variables, etc., in pursuit of a competitive advantage and creation of economic profit opportunities.
- Leads the actuarial component of the company's planning processes. Collaborates on the long-range planning and forecasting of the Company to maximize Company performance over time.
- Identifies segments with profitable growth potential; identifies under-performing segments and proposes corrective actions to improve profitability.
- In conjunction with the Executive Team, evaluate and identify potential markets or opportunities external to the Company that will provide long term profitable growth.
- Performs advanced analytics and modeling techniques including but not limited to generalized linear modeling and other forms of multivariate analysis. This role is expected to build, refine and improve existing models as well as develop new techniques and applications to different areas of the company.
- Leads the innovation and efficiency efforts related to tools and analysis in support of Underwriting's pricing decisions with respect to large accounts as well as small commercial portfolio price adequacy analyses.
- Identifies, retrieves, and prepares data in support of actuarial analysis. Includes internal data and various forms of external data.
- Prepares and manages department budget and resources including explaining variances and related reporting.
- Develops and maintains relationships with other W.R. Berkley Claims Leaders to capitalize on business opportunities and efficiencies.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Company’s policies and applicable laws
- Creates a high performance culture through effective communication, quality goal setting and proactive management of performance.
- Provides regular and effective feedback, coaching and guidance. Establishes development plans for employees to address knowledge gaps and facilitate career growth.
- Partners with Human Resources to make hiring, termination and compensation decisions.
Underwriters will be expected to promote profitable written premium growth and favorable loss ratios in accordance with BCIM Best Practices, Underwriting Guidelines, Line of Business risk appetite, and personal Underwriting Authority. Underwriters may also be required to oversee the efficiency and effectiveness of other Underwriters and Technical Assistants.