This position will provide processing and technical support to the Underwriting Department. This position will be assessed based on productivity, accuracy and thoroughness, and ability to learn and apply new skills.
- Multi-line rating
- Issuance of multi-line quotes and policies
- Issue bind confirmations for new and renewal policies
- Process policy changes which include endorsements, cancellations, non-renewals, and reinstatements
- Resolve problems relating to processing and eliminate delays
- Inspection ordering and recommendation letters
- Responding to agent’s and insured’s requests for loss runs and copies of forms/endorsements.
- Reinsurance entries and cargo filings.
- Assist with submission and transaction set ups
- Assisting in the quality control /peer review process for the Underwriting Services team.
W. R. Berkley Corporation is looking for a summer intern who is interested in accounting and corporate taxes. The right person will be exposed to various tax rules and requirements and gain a general understanding of the use of accounting data in the tax reporting process.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Work with Excel to organize accounting information and complete required computations
Work with tax software applications to input data
Prepare work papers to support computations and figures used in the tax process
Support tax department with various projects
Other job duties as assigned
- The Actuary is responsible for ensuring that price levels and loss reserves are adequate (Pricing and Reserving)
- The Actuary is responsible for assessing the profitability of the business being underwritten (Profitability Analysis)
- The Actuary is responsible for assisting finance with financial reporting requirements
- The Actuary provides management with research and analysis required for strategic initiatives
- Assists in the development, maintenance, and oversight of various databases, software, and other technological tools in support of Berkley Offshore
- Strong commitment to the WRBC/Berkley Offshore culture: innovative, transparent & engaging
- Collaborate with the underwriting leads of the three divisions (Energy Property, Energy Liability, and Marine) to meet there business needs from a pricing/profitability perspective
- Work with underwriting to monitor, evaluate and continue the development of Benchmark Pricing Tools for purposes of monitoring and measuring rate adequacy
- Work with the data management team in developing and maintaining data queries in Microsoft SQL Server to transform data from the database environment to reportable data as required for reserving and reporting needs
- Responsible for monthly rate monitor and actual versus expected reporting and analysis
- Responsible for quarterly reserving analysis including presenting reserve position to W.R. Berkley executive leadership
- Responsible for determining expected loss ratios during the annual budgeting process
- Responsible for profitability analysis to determine if desired returns are being realized
- Responsible for actuarial items needed for SOX compliance
- Assist finance with the preparation of quarterly financial statements, including Schedule P
- Provide analysis to assist with reinsurance renewals as needed
- Responsible for data calls or other requirements as necessary for business written through non-US legal entities (e.g. Solvency II)
- All other duties as assigned
Berkley Agribusiness, a provider of property and casualty insurance solutions for select commercial agribusiness accounts, has an exciting employment opportunity for a Risk Control Specialist to service agribusiness and food product customers.
Located in the Mid-West Region, this position will be responsible for providing on –site risk control surveys for both prospective and existing policyholder locations for the purposes of gathering underwriting information and providing suggestions for risk improvement.
Specific duties include, but not limited to:
- Surveying commercial agribusiness properties (buildings, industrial operations, etc.)
- Consulting with insured's in regards to activities and programs available to control losses and improve safety
- Providing training, mentoring, specialized technical advice and counsel to internal staff regarding regulations
- Contributing to the development of safety materials and program.
The Business Intelligence Developer helps inform decision making and solve business problems by converting data into information, selecting relevant data from data warehouses, manipulating large datasets, building decision models and facilitating insightful solutions to complex problems.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads and/or assists in all phases of Analytics and Reporting requirements identification, design, development, and implementation.
- Conducts and facilitates requirements gathering sessions with internal and external customers.
- Interact with customers to present and interpret findings to develop recommendations for action.
- Work closely with project team to ensure that the end to end design and delivered solution meets business and data requirements.
- Develop and generate graphs, reports, presentations, and dashboards.
- Create and maintain requirements, design specifications, mapping documents, and reporting specifications.
- Understand and document business rules and value sets for attributes to meet customer requirements.
- Assist in the ongoing development of technical best practices for data movement, data quality, data cleansing and other ETL related activities.
- Develop and conduct unit and integration activities and assist in User Acceptance Testing.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
The Claims Superintendent will be responsible for determining and discharging the company's contractual obligations under its various policy contracts involving coverage analysis, investigation, legal defense, and loss and expense reserving.
- Incorporate all claims into company records and review for applicability of coverage.
- Present facts of claims, with recommendations, to committee as necessary.
- Establish initial loss and expense reserves. Maintain valid loss and expense reserves based on current investigation and legal discovery.
- Supervise activities of Independent Adjusters, investigators and defense attorneys to ensure that all claims are appropriately handled.
- Attend and participate in mediations/trials as necessary.
- Adhere to company procedures and guidelines as well as case law and statutory
- requirements when coverage is in question, and/or when paying or denying claims.
- Comply with reporting requirements of treaty and facultative reinsurers.
- Maintain current understanding of various unfair claim practices statutes.
- Prepare large loss reports where applicable.
- Additional tasks as assigned.
We are seeking a proven insurance leader with deep knowledge of commercial lines, data strategy, analytics and state of the art data science technology for our Head of Analytics role. This position offers the opportunity to build a data driven decision making culture and to define strategy for use of both basic and advanced analytics including artificial intelligence (machine learning and deep learning) to produce quality analytics and predictive modeling to support decisions and further WRBC goals. The preferred location is in Greenwich, CT but will consider locations in the tri-state area.
- Organize and lead analytics center of excellence.
- Participate in a data council to provide insight and input to the WRBC data strategy.
- Set annual project plan based on input from Segment heads and Operating Units. Projects focus on enhancing profitability and business functions (e.g., claims, pricing, risk selection, premium audit selection, submission triage) but also may be exploratory to answer business questions.
- Develop individual project plans, timetables and deliverables. With IT and Business (including actuarial) ensure that plan addresses data collection, model iteration, validation and operationalizing both model and model results. Regularly communicate project status vs plan.
- Keep a log/catalogue of projects, code and models so that knowledge can be shared.
- Work with Business and IT to ensure that Big Data (Hadoop) platform is appropriately structured, accessed, protected and utilized. Follow procedures established.
- Establish best practices for model use and validation as well as for basic analytics for business intelligence purposes.
- Work with Business and IT to: expand availability and use of internal data (both structured and unstructured); develop strategy for data access for analysis and leverage data across WRBC; and facilitate the evolution of self service data preparation and analytics. Contribute to decisions made about information value, quality and reliability.
- Work with Business and IT to expand availability and use of external data (both structured and unstructured). Participate in research on data available from external sources and support efforts to acquire and make usable.
- Keep abreast of latest machine and deep learning tools, methodologies and data sets (open source and proprietary). Test and evaluate.
- Provide input and counsel to operating units. Provide quality control via peer review Operating Unit models and algorithms, etc.
- Provide regular forums for sharing of information (e.g., analytics forums and showcases). Provide training as needed for actuaries and citizen data scientists on R and other tools.
- Build team of data scientists, wranglers, munchers, etc. either at corporate or in shared service areas. Define job roles, recruit candidates and then manage directly or indirectly team of data science professionals.
A Business Systems Analyst is responsible for working directly with customers to provide support across multiple business systems for our business partners. This role will lead efforts to collect/translate technical business requirements, and developing solutions. They will also be responsible for understanding business process flows, and how changes in corresponding systems may impact the applications they support. Lead team as Scrum Master and help with project management and reporting. This person must be a highly motivated self starter and work independently with minimal direction.
- Ability to troubleshoot issues in response to user inquiries.
- Requires strong ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks with competing deadlines.
- Serve as escalation point to research and resolve production support and configuration issues which cannot be resolved by initial triage.
- Individuals in this role are considered application experts and will need to answer “how to” questions in reference to the application.
- Provide recommendations on how to improve system applications, processes and tools
- Provide outstanding customer service
- Communication of expectations and status with members of the company
- Recreate issues and document requirements for bug fixes and/or system enhancements.
- Approximately 50% of tasks are technical in nature including Java development, building and deploying applications, production support, etc.
- Some Project Management and Scrum Master responsibilities
- The other 50% is devoted to analysis, testing, and helping business prioritize initiatives.
- Some travel is required (less than 10%).
The Claims Specialist position will be responsible for performing claim duties associated with the coverage analysis, investigation, evaluation, litigation management and resolution of all claims assigned. As a Claims Specialist, your responsibilities will include:
- Recognize coverage issues and issue reservation of rights and declination letters as appropriate
- Conduct the necessary investigation on all assigned claims including complex and high value claims to determine coverage, liability and damages
- Evaluate, negotiate and settle assigned claims within authority granted, or seek authority for those claims in excess of authority
- Ensure claim files are properly documented and coded correctly based on the policy
- Create estimates for property and physical damage claims in office through estimating programs
- Retains and manages vendors on products and mechanics E&O claims
- Identifies and pursues subrogation opportunities; secures and disposes of salvage
- Assign and provide direction to defense attorneys for settlement values, defense tactics and strategies that comply with our litigation management guidelines
- Keep apprised of laws; including Federal, State and Local jurisdictions, related to requirements for proper file documentation and communications
- Establish reserves per Best Practices and constantly assess for adequacy throughout the life of the claim
- Hone technical expertise for the auto aftermarket industry
- Prepare proactive action plans for expedient and equitable resolution
- Identify and pursue recovery opportunities (salvage, subrogation, etc.)
- Recognizes claims trends and provides analysis to claims management
- Provide superior customer service to our customers for their Property and Casualty insurance needs
NON-ESSENTIAL WORK REQUIREMENTS
- Assumes other tasks and duties as assigned by management
- Attends professional and/or continuing educational seminars and classes
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS & CONTACTS
- Interacts continuously with all levels of employees in various departments
- Must exhibit professional behavior at all times while representing the company
- Advocate for a culture of customer claims service excellence
The purpose of the Quality Assurance Analyst is to provide the means and also the measures for testing all the aspects of a software solution, both functionally and technically, in order to meet the requirements and overall quality of the intended solution.
- Experience with quality assurance testing and tracking procedures
- Capable of using common tools to test and report defects and verify fixes
- Familiarity with Agile software development cycle and quality assurance methodologies
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Able to take direction, collaborate with developers and business analysts, and independently execute assignments
- Detail-oriented with excellent problem solving skills
- Isolates, reproduces, and tracks defects and verifies fixes
- Reviews, tests and reports on discrepancies between requirements and software
- Assists preparing test data and procedures for ensuring the software products meet organization standards and end-user requirements
- Reports progress on problem resolution to management
- Persistent in the face of roadblocks; dispatches them efficiently, pulling in others as necessary
- Creates detailed and accurate bug reports in a bug tracker for developer and Triage team
- Report on testing activities using a test management tool
- Experience with MS SQL Server with the ability to investigate issues by executing or crafting SQL queries
- Proactively identifies problems with requirements (lack of clarity, inconsistencies) while testing, and communicates these issues early to help course-correct
- Reports testing progress to management
- Communicates effectively across functions; is able to work well with Product, Development, IT and others as necessary
The Chief Underwriting Officer (CUO) is the senior executive responsible for the underwriting strategy of the Company. Reporting to the President, and working with both Field and Staff functional areas, the CUO designs, implements, and monitors the underwriting activities for all four of the Company’s customer segments: Construction, Specialty Casualty (Manufacturing, Products) and Professional Liability.
Among other responsibilities, the Chief Underwriting Officer oversees:
• New Product Development and product lifecycle maintenance:
• Develop and implement best practices
• Vetting new-product ideas from both internal and external sources
• Underwriting appetite, guidelines, forms, forms usage, terms and conditions, training, and communications
• Underwriting Liaison with IT, Operations, Actuary, Finance, Marketing and Claims
• Implementation, performance monitoring and feedback loop
• Creation and maintenance of Underwriting Guidelines for all customer segments
• Quality and Compliance, including peer reviews, monthly management reviews, coordination of WRBC reviews, and development and implementation of automation support for the underwriting audit process
Referrals – highest-level underwriting authority for all four market segments, exercising sound judgment in risk selection, exposure analysis, pricing and coverage in evaluating and approving or rejecting individual-risk submissions from the field organization
• Training – the CUO will design and implement underwriting training programs to ensure that field underwriting staff perform at the highest skill levels
• Support Vela’s Field Management Team with their risk-selection strategies at both product-line and territorial levels
• Underwriting Analysis of the Programs (Books) - Monitor and analyze underwriting performance and results for desired underwriting outcomes, including heavy collaboration with Finance, Actuarial and IT
• Regulatory Issues - support, and coordinate with, Finance and Operations
• Develop and/or strengthen interdepartmental relationships with:
• Other disciplines
• Other WRBC member companies.
• Monitor and communicate emerging underwriting Issues that are relevant to Vela's current and future planned strategies, programs and processes.
• Leading Change
• Change Management
• Underwriting Culture Change
Under the direction of the Service Manager, the Life Sciences Associate (LSA) is responsible for the pre-underwriting of new business and renewals. They will also handle research, analysis, premium booking and policy issuance of business for an assigned group of producers. The LSA will develop information and recommendations based on account analysis. They will review account, policies, risk analysis and provide new and renewal quotes. The LSA will coordinate account and/or policy pricing with the underwriter
- Assist the Underwriters with daily operations; research, quote and bind new and renewal business and document as per established guidelines.
- Review all new line/endorsement submissions and stay within applicable binding authority
- Book and issue commercial lines business using both manual and automated methods
- Interprets issuance and rating instructions from Underwriters for new business, quotes, endorsements and cancellations
- Drive renewal process, review upcoming renewals, work with producers to obtain and evaluate all underwriting information, prepare for renewal for the Life Sciences Specialist
- Develop information and recommendation based on account analysis
- Identify opportunities for account rounding.
- Review account/policy rating instructions, risk analysis and provide new and renewal quotes
- Work collaboratively and effectively with the specialists, operations, legal, home office underwriting and claims
- Provide technical and service support to producers and specialists.
- Stay current with all compliance, procedural and workflow changes.
Manage an assigned underwriting territory to achieve profitable growth, including underwriting new business, renewals, endorsements and other transactions. Identify new business opportunities and manage agency relationships.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop relationships and educate agents within agency plant to maximize opportunities and achieve profitable growth.
- Initiate outbound calls to agencies to identify sales opportunities and collect agent intelligence.
- Achieve new business premium, renewal premium retention and rate change objectives.
- Within company guidelines and granted underwriting authority, evaluate new and renewal account information to determine risk acceptability, terms / conditions to be quoted, and pricing.
- Make sound risk and pricing decisions that achieve profitable loss ratios.
- Maintain underwriting quality score of 90% or greater. Document underwriting file to support acceptability and pricing in accordance with company guidelines.
- Achieve customer service standards, including established objectives for:
o New business quote turnaround
o Renewal quotes
o Endorsement, cancellation, audits and other transactions
o Policy issuance
- Provide detailed issuance instructions to ensure policy is delivered consistent with quoted terms and conditions and in accordance with established guidelines relative to policy construction.
- Review mid-term endorsement requests for acceptability and provide instructions for processing.
- Evaluate premium audit referrals to determine class acceptability and/or appropriateness of current exposure base. Adjust current term with acceptable changes to ensure company gets timely payment of adequate premium.
- Order and review inspections to confirm accounts written are consistent with preliminary underwriting information and takes action when the inspection reveals unacceptable risk characteristics.
- Determine if facultative reinsurance is needed and if so, factor reinsurance cost in gross pricing, complete cession procedures; documentation file, and follow established workflow procedure to ensure proper reporting / accounting.
- Utilize various underwriting tools to:
o Determine acceptable risk characteristics
o Determine accurate exposure classifications
o Set adequate property limits to accomplish appropriate insurance to value
- Rate and quote business to agents
The VP Chief Actuary will provide strategic direction and leadership to the Company's Actuarial function by proactively participates with the senior management team in developing and executing strategic plans to achieve the Company’s business objectives.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains actuarial policies and standards, ensuring they are consistent with regulatory and corporate standards.
- Ensures actuarial valuations comply with all relevant regulatory, accounting and professional standards and requirements.
- Leads the completion of Rate Reviews, Ratemaking and Actuarial Indications including support of forecasting investment rate of return, underwriting expense provisions, frequency/severity and exposure trends. Innovates and improves both accuracy and efficiency in the processes.
- Leads the regular preparation of adequate loss and expense reserves estimates, including any financial information pertaining to reserves needed by the Financial Department, company management, or corporate.
- Adapts and develops rating methodologies for both existing and new company products using advanced techniques to incorporate new variables, etc., in pursuit of a competitive advantage and creation of economic profit opportunities.
- Leads the actuarial component of the company's planning processes. Collaborates on the long-range planning and forecasting of the Company to maximize Company performance over time.
- Identifies segments with profitable growth potential; identifies under-performing segments and proposes corrective actions to improve profitability.
- In conjunction with the Executive Team, evaluate and identify potential markets or opportunities external to the Company that will provide long term profitable growth.
- Performs advanced analytics and modeling techniques including but not limited to generalized linear modeling and other forms of multivariate analysis. This role is expected to build, refine and improve existing models as well as develop new techniques and applications to different areas of the company.
- Leads the innovation and efficiency efforts related to tools and analysis in support of Underwriting's pricing decisions with respect to large accounts as well as small commercial portfolio price adequacy analyses.
- Identifies, retrieves, and prepares data in support of actuarial analysis. Includes internal data and various forms of external data.
- Prepares and manages department budget and resources including explaining variances and related reporting.
- Develops and maintains relationships with other W.R. Berkley Claims Leaders to capitalize on business opportunities and efficiencies.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Company’s policies and applicable laws
- Creates a high performance culture through effective communication, quality goal setting and proactive management of performance.
- Provides regular and effective feedback, coaching and guidance. Establishes development plans for employees to address knowledge gaps and facilitate career growth.
- Partners with Human Resources to make hiring, termination and compensation decisions.
The Marketing Director role is multifaceted and will be a leader at Intrepid Direct; the director will develop our brand, our voice, setting the road map for our marketing vision, learning about customers’ needs, and working collaboratively with team members. Also executing on a mass marketing to drive our success; email campaigns, paid search, PR, advertising, etc. Then assisting in creating the road map of our ultimate marketing vision and needs. The following are some examples of possible activities for the role:
- Learn about our customers and their operations
- Listen to customers and employees on our value Intrepid Direct brings its customers.
- Email campaign organization and execution; scheduling, creating content, and following through to make sure email campaigns are executed.
- Financial guidance and analysis of our best approaches to achieve best ROI.
- Content creation; for website, advertising, emails, and conferences.
- Trade and industry conference consulting; discovery & involvement in planning.
- Paid search advisory, assist with paid search marketing firm requests and review results
- Public Relations, have a consulting view and offer guidance on PR activities and ROI guidance.
- Advertising advisory for brochures, handouts, and trade magazine.
- Social media planning and guidance.
- Assumes other tasks and duties as assigned by management
- Participates in organizational meetings on a regular basis
- Attends professional and/or continuing educational seminars and classes
- May need to visit customer locations and participate in association conventions
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS & CONTACTS
- Interacts continuously with all levels of employees of various departments
- Must exhibit professional behavior at all times while representing the company
- Ability to collaborate with team members and vendors
The Senior Database Developer will assist with the analysis of complex specifications and the development of an application design that will satisfy the immediate requirement as well as provide opportunities for long-term expansion. As a hands on Developer and Data Architect, complete database and application development using the most current tools implemented. Must be able to understand advanced database technology, clustering, and replication concepts at a detailed level and work well with vendors, SME's, engineers, management and customers. Support the strategic direction of our enterprise data warehouse, including the long-range planning, staffing, and technical architecture.
- Complete complex programming assignments and provide knowledge transfer to other IT staff regarding the details of the solution that was created.
- Participate in the resolution of moderate to complex application support issues and the development research into any issues that require programming changes.
- Participate in research and development efforts on all new versions of existing IT tools as well as the new toolkits being assessed by IT. Assist with resolution of any issues and provide guidance in both written and verbal format regarding the steps to use the new tools.
- Participate in a regular review of coding and documentation standards. Propose and implement continual improvements.
- Works with development and database administration personnel to ensure optimal database performance, evaluating and making recommendations regarding code design, application interaction, physical design, etc.
- Analyze database implementation methods to make sure they are in line with company policies and any external regulations that may apply
- Ensure logging/replication/clustering and scheduled ETL all perform optimally
- Advise on configurations/design using current industry best practices
- Help maintain the integrity and security of the company database
- Support technical development in designing, testing and implementing application changes.
- Experience with the tools required to build out of enterprise reporting and analytics capabilities, tools and functions.
- Develop processes for auditing data warehouses and ensuring data quality.
- Gather and analyze business requirements Architect / Design Data Warehouse infrastructure and solutions.
- Create application architecture diagrams, process flow diagrams, and prototypes to effectively communicate design ideas
- Utilize Business Intelligence tools to build and support dashboards
- Participate as a productive member of an agile team of developers
- Communicate well with product owners, customer support, and other team members
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Chief Information Officer (CIO) reports to the segment EVP and indirectly to WRBC CIO and to (5) Operating Unit Presidents (BTU, BLS, BFIN, BARS, BFM). Overall responsibility for developing and executing strategy and related tactical execution in all IT functions to support the strategic direction of the companies and their operational business plans. The CIO acts as a trusted partner and advisor to the companies’ leadership teams and is the key liaison with Berkley Technology Services (BTS). The CIO will develop, maintain and execute the strategic technology plan for the company; to drive process improvement and streamline business processes. Aligns the IT organizations under common segment leadership to enhance capabilities by utilizing the best skillsets within the existing departments and teams. Develops a robust business intelligence ecosystem to enable companies to leverage data and analytics. Develops and drives the plan to streamline common functions joint efforts on data warehousing initiatives and provides strong demand management. Works with an outcome based sense of urgency, increasing the metabolic rate of the organizations’ IT staff & functions.
In addition to the segment strategy responsibility this position will play a key role in developing / influencing the EWRBC enterprise- wide IT strategy to increase the overall leverage of the collective enterprise IT capability as part of driving overall IT efficiency and capability delivery both within the segment as well as across the enterprise.
- Ability to function in a multi-company scope and provide needed IT leadership and direction to diverse businesses.
- Works with company presidents and key functional area leaders to set direction and goals for IT to maximize resources, systems and drive efficiency across 5 companies, multiple business segments and operating departments.
- Builds a team that provides a superior IT product, solutions and execution by attracting, recruiting, and retaining elite talent.
- Provides day-to-day leadership and management of direct reports and teams ensuring they deliver against the company goals and embrace core values.
- Reconfigures & reorganizes 5 companies IT departments. Creates efficiencies; develops talent or acquires new skill sets to cover existing gaps:
- Redefines roles and establishes new responsibilities for current Company IT leaders.
- Reconfigure the IT staff inside the 5 companies to maximize resources and ensure we have the right talent in key roles.
- Responsible for the execution of all IT projects, with consideration for cost, scope and schedule.
- Ensures business capabilities are reviewed on a regular basis and takes appropriate action when needed.
- Manages budgets for each company and drives the overall IT cost to be 2% to 2.5% of GWP.
- Accountable for effective systems development, utilization and maintenance.
- Understands rapidly evolving InsurTech space and works to devise strategies to leverage capabilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Strong understanding of the following as they apply in the IT arena:
Business Intelligence Tools
Data Warehousing expertise
On-demand reporting tools
Demand management process
SOX and related compliance
Business Analysts – consistent usage of role
We are looking for an enthusiastic claim professional to join BerkleyMed’s excess claim team in the role of Claim Specialist. The successful candidate will assist in delivering superior claim results and customer service to BerkleyMed and its customers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Investigate assigned claims through application of defined best practices. Actively develop information on reported claims, including specific facts of case, nature and extent of injury, standard of care and causation defenses, venue specific factors and other characteristics that impact claim severity.
- Evaluate information obtained through claim investigations and estimate damage ranges for purposes of prompt identification of claims with potential excess exposure.
- Apply ongoing triage rules for continued handling or consideration of transfer to Sr. claims staff. Also requires prompt recognition of claims without realistic potential of excess exposure to ensure efficient use of claim department resources.
- Directly manage certain moderate severity claims and associated accounts on ad-hoc basis as requested by Director Claim Operations/Claim Directors to assist with balancing claim department resource needs.
- Work closely with Claim Directors to ensure a coordinated approach to managing all claims reported by each account.
- Review account loss runs to identify claims with potential excess exposure and establish plans of action with direct responsibility for capacity accounts and in conjunction with Claim Directors on lead/second layer accounts.
- Assist in the development and modification of claim department practices, policies and procedures in furtherance of a continuous process improvement culture.
- Cultivate strong business relationships with key personnel within current accounts as opportunities permit.
- Participate in audits (onsite or remote) on an as needed basis to assist Claim Directors with management of claim audit function.
- Participate in account exposure management planning and implementation, including annual planning meetings, support for loss run reviews as needed, and ongoing audit support.
- Keep abreast of multijurisdictional legal developments related to healthcare liability claims environment.
- Assist with development of claims marketing content as requested.
- This role can either be office based or REMOTE
The VP, Strategic Finance Officer reports to a company president and indirectly to WRBC CFO and to Three Operating Unit Presidents (Berkley Technology Underwriters, Berkley Life Sciences and Berkley FinSecure). The VP, Strategic Finance Officer is a highly visible role with frequent interaction with executive leadership. Possess not only analytical acumen but also excellent communication skills and the ability to influence a diverse team of senior leaders. Demonstrates an appetite for change and innovation. Under the direction of the company President, the VP, Strategic Finance Officer gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes financial results to ensure the achievement of short- and long-term financial goals. As a key member of the team, the officer will collaborate with the executive leadership of each company to assist in delivering comprehensive, consistent and actionable analysis in support of the creation and maintenance of the long-range financial plan, continuous improvement activities aimed to maximize profitability and ROE.
- Provides ad hoc financial analysis to the operating units leadership as needed, including but not limited to scenario modeling, capital budgeting, and financial due diligence.
- Performs monthly analysis and reports out on key financial performance indicators: Premium, Expense, Reserve/Margin development and others.
- Leads annual financial planning and forecasting by developing premium forecasting models and monitoring results.
- Expertise collecting, analyzing and managing quantitative data and creating meaningful reports to lead business improvement and cost reductions.
- Provides analytical support to three operating units for existing and new strategic initiatives.
- Becomes a trusted partner and adviser to operational leaders and executives.
- Develops analysis and processes that scale with a rapidly growing business.
- Builds and own key parts of the company’s financial model.
- Root cause analysis and uncovering core issues using data, and then assisting the operating units to improve and create new measures for site productivity.
- Recommends, develops, and implements policies and programs that guide the organization in maintaining and improving its competitive position and profitability.