Click column header to sort
Responsible for understanding and validating the accounting for the Corporation’s reinsurance programs.
- Entering corporate reinsurance contracts into Freedom Reinsurance System or XL Pro Reinsurance System.
- Communicate with corporate reinsurance personnel to understand all facets of the corporate reinsurance contracts.
- Reconciling contract abstract system to company reinsurance systems noted above.
- Loading and reconciling group internal contracts in Triad Reinsurance System.
- Reconciling corporate brokerage account.
- Coordinating collection of group wide subject premiums with submission to brokers.
- Calculation of adjustable features, including contingent and sliding scale commissions, and retrospective premiums on group reinsurance programs. Verify that adjustments comply with the reinsurance contracts.
- Maintaining a list of participating reinsurers on all worldwide ceded and US assumed reinsurance contracts. List includes all Schedule F required coding, AM Best and S&P ratings, addresses, etc.
- Manage payments and collections to and from brokers as well as payments to and from subsidiaries.
- Assist in preparing Berkley Insurance Company Schedule F Parts 3 through 8 + all of Schedule F for 24 other P&C annual statements.
- Assist in preparation Treasury Schedule F for Berkley Insurance Company.
- Maintain letter of credit files and manage the coordination of LOC’s with subsidiaries and brokers.
- Assist in preparation of reinsurance recoverable footnote in 10k.
- Assist in preparing internal quarterly Schedule F reporting.
- Assist in preparing US Department of Labor Form BE45 quarterly.
The Underwriter will work in a team setting generating, underwriting and analyzing accounts for development of our Professional Lines business.
• Production and underwriting of new and renewal business
• Strategic marketing of Admiral PL products
• Compliance with underwriting rules and guidelines
• Working within approved limits on complex accounts
• Development of new and existing key broker/agent relationships
• Maintain strong underwriting profit
The Sr. Splunk Engineer will be a member of the Berkley Information Security Architecture and Engineering team. This team is responsible for identifying, developing and deploying cybersecurity controls across Berkley, leveraging the firm’s assets, network and data to identify threats. This role will focus on loading data into Splunk, tuning and configuring Splunk Events, configuring and tuning User Behavioral Analytics (UBA) capabilities as well as leveraging Phantom security automation leveraging the Splunk suite of tools. The role requires a strong self-starter with a track record who can understand program objectives, standardized approach, and independently and proactively engage internal partners to align on an agreed upon solution.
Information Security has the responsibility of ensuring ingestion of various log types and data sources into our SIEM tool and production support of the environment. The role also involves use case development and ongoing upkeep per intel provided from various peer teams within the Cyber Security organization.
The Claims Analyst performs a complete quality review and evaluation of all Stop Loss claim submissions received and logged in the David Young Claim System to determine whether the amount requested is eligible for reimbursement under the Stop Loss Policy in force. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Process an average of 5 to 7 claims per day.
- Maintain a processing accuracy of 99% or better.
- Determine, on a timely basis, the eligibility of assigned claim by applying the appropriate contractual provisions to the medical facts and specifications of the claim.
- Review and adjudicate claims within approved authority limits.
- Maintain assigned claim block and assist other team members while meeting departmental guidelines.
- Elevates issues to next level of supervision, as appropriate.
- Exhibit good organizational, oral communication and interpersonal skills while working with internal and external customers.
- Document rationale of claim decisions based on review of the contractual provisions, plan specifications and the analysis of medical records, etc.
Preferred Employers Insurance is a member company of the W. R. Berkley Corporation, a Fortune 500 company rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best Company. Take your career to the next level and join us! Find out why we are the preferred workers’ compensation insurance solution for California employers.
We currently have a great opportunity for a Senior Workers’ Compensation Examiner to join our team! Our Senior Examiners are responsible for the analysis and management of complex workers’ compensation claims. This position will review, investigate, and make decisions regarding coverage, compensability, and appropriateness of claims. The position will process and document claims to ensure compliance with company standards, industry best practices, and legislative provisions. Acts in a fiduciary role on behalf of policyholders, negotiates claim settlements and manages subrogation. Senior Claims Examiner’s conduct the handling of claims in the utmost of good faith in compliance with the rules, regulations and statutes of the WCAB and State of California. The Senior Workers’ Compensation Examiner is expected to function with a degree of competency. The use of sound judgment coupled with consistent results is expected.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Analyzes and processes workers’ compensation claims by investigating and gathering information to determine the exposure on the claim.
- Negotiates settlement of claims up to designated authority level and makes claims payments.
- Processes complex or technically difficult claims.
- Calculates and assigns timely and appropriate reserves to claims and continues to manage reserve adequacy throughout the life of the claim.
- Calculates and pays benefits due; approves all claim payments; and settles claims within designated authority level.
- Develops and manages claims through well-developed action plans; continues to work the action plan to bring the claim to an appropriate and timely resolution.
- Prepares necessary state filings within statutory limits.
- Actively manages the litigation process; ensures timely and cost-effective claims resolution.
- Coordinates vendor referrals for additional investigation and/or litigation management.
- Uses appropriate cost containment techniques including strategic vendor partnerships to reduce overall cost of claims.
- Manages claim recoveries of all types, including but not limited to subrogation, Second Injury Fund recoveries, and Social Security offsets.
- Reports claims to the excess carrier, responds to requests of directions in a professional and timely manner.
- Frequently communicates with all appropriate parties involved with the claim.
- Refers cases as appropriate to management.
- Maintains professional client relationships.
- Actively executes appropriate claims activities to ensure consistent delivery of quality claims service.
The Senior Underwriter will work in a team setting generating, underwriting and analyzing accounts for development of new and renewal Physician’s Medical Malpractice and Allied Healthcare Facilities Professional Liability business.
- Compliance with underwriting documentation rules and guidelines.
- Maintain an acceptable underwriting profit.
- Adherence to Admiral underwriting guidelines and referral compliance.
- Act as referral authority for Associate Underwriters and Underwriters.
- Development and maintenance of key broker/agent relationships.
- Management and development of new business and broker relationships.
- Coordinate strategic marketing calls to key brokers (up to 25%).
- Participates in all internal company training and continuing education.
- Remains current on product releases as it pertains to Professional Liability.
- Stay abreast and knowledgeable on market trends in terms of forms, coverage and appetite to maintain competitiveness.
The IT Analyst is part of a small team that provides deep and broard technology support to the Berkley Surety organization including: hardware/software management, responding to Ad Hoc reporting requests, business requirements gathering, unit/regression testing and user support and training. This position will also ensure that the company meets all State, Regulatory, and Corporate IT compliance requirements. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provides general IT support and assistance directly to users on all hardware, software, reports, and systems Berkley Surety supports. Manages BTS and others as needed to provide support as needed.
- Interacts and collaborates with others within the company to understand their needs to be able to provide cost and time estimates for priority decisions.
- Provides support, training and answers questions on core systems and data solutions.
- Identifies and documents business problems and inefficient applications and recommends alternative solutions.
- Responsible for procuring and tracking hardware and software purchases.
- Responsible for performing internal SOX Systems Auditing.
- Prepares business requirements for program development. Works with end-users and management to analyze, design, implement and/or support business applications and systems.
- Works with developers to answer any questions or clarify information on requirements.
- Performs Unit and Regression Testing of all supported systems and reports.
- Manages new system implementation rollout and provides training and documentation on new systems and processes.
- Manages projects and timelines to insure that requirements and timelines are met.
- Responsible for data calls and adhoc requests as needed.
- Performs a variety of tasks and works on special projects as assigned
Investigates moderate to highly complex commercial casualty losses, with an emphasis on agribusiness liability, analyzes coverage, liability/compensability and damages; evaluating reserves; and negotiating settlement or conclusion of claim. Demonstrates a proven ability to handle complex coverage, liability and damage issues.
- Examines and analyzes policies, contracts and claim forms to determine coverage.
- Investigates loss in a prompt manner by telephone, correspondence or on-site investigation to determine the extent of the Company’s liability. Requests necessary reports, e.g., police reports, fire reports, medical records, property damage inspections, etc.
- Utilizes independent adjusting services to assist in the claim investigation as appropriate. Establishes accurate claim reserves and re-evaluates exposures and reserves during the life of the claim.
- Correctly enters claim data and file documentation into claim and related systems for reporting purposes.
- Negotiates settlement or conclusion of claim.
- Consults with Litigation Specialist, Claims Supervisor or Claims Manager when claim cannot be resolved and moves into litigation. Collaborates with Home Office Claims staff on claim files in subrogation, arbitration and salvage recovery.
- Mentors and coaches Claims staff.
This leadership position is primarily responsible for providing California and multi-state technical and regulatory guidance for the underwriting department. Specific areas of focus include underwriting guidelines, policy coverage, forms and endorsements, state regulations and rules, policy rating plans, company underwriting philosophy and other oversight responsibilities as assigned. Through mentoring and training of staff the Underwriting Technical Director will enhance technical skill development. This position will be actively involved in the development and execution of strategic initiatives involving individual and program risk selection and pricing evaluation. The Underwriting Technical Director will also act as a referral authority for staff and would be expected to underwrite assigned larger risks.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Takes a lead role in analysis, research and projects involving the underwriting function.
- Serves as a technical resource and provides guidance to underwriting staff on risk selection and pricing, particularly for large or complex accounts.
- Reviews referrals from underwriters and approves or rejects as appropriate while mentoring underwriters throughout the process.
- Provides California and national expertise on various subjects to support company expansion of underwriting strategy, procedures, or systems development.
- Keeps informed on legislative, regulatory, and administrative changes that impact the Underwriting function.
- Communicates and coordinates with Underwriting Department Management, and other departments on underwriting regulatory changes, compliance requirements, and emerging issues.
- Identifies training needs, initiates training agendas and materials, and conducts classes.
- Develops and maintains underwriting resource materials, manuals and database information for underwriting department.
- Provides oversight and ensures compliance with various external data feeds.
- Evaluates under-performing programs, classifications, segments of business, or distribution sources and recommends action plans to address.
- Assists in program development, affinity group management, and identifies classifications or segments of business that present profitable growth opportunity. Provides associated recommendations, underwriting guidelines, procedures, and training.
- Actively involved in system enhancements and conversions, contributing ideas and information to elevate system capabilities, efficiency, and ease of use.
- Demonstrates a professional, courteous attitude with distribution partners. Responds quickly and ethically to all requests/issues.
- Interacts with staff in a positive and optimistic manner. Helps promote corporate strategy and objectives.
- Assists as needed with corporate audits.
To evaluate (selection and pricing) and maintain (control) risk acceptability and profitability within the company’s underwriting guidelines and procedures for commercial risks with a focus on non-admitted General Liability for products and products related risks. Particular focus will be on Manufacturing and Products Liability. Manage and maintain good Wholesale Broker relationships. Meet and maintain the production, profitability, and service standards established for the company.
- Adhere to underwriting authority level as per on file with Manager.
- Gather underwriting information to properly evaluate commercial risks for acceptability within company guidelines. Underwrite for profit.
- Meet/Exceed production, profitability, and service targets.
- Ability to research and solve more complicated problems and make decisions.
- Determine final coverages and pricing for commercial risks.
- Review claims and loss information on individual risks. Use this information to identify and re-evaluate accounts and develop strategy for dealing with exposures and frequency issues.
- As a team with the Manager, manage the portfolio profitability and identify favorable and unfavorable classes of business.
- Maintain quality and time standards as established.
- Be informed/knowledgeable of industry issues and activities through formal educational processes to develop underwriting skills.
- Identify and cultivate brokers with new business opportunities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position will be providing data development at a moderately complex level such as ETL, cube creation, adhoc and management reporting, dashboard and data extract creation. This individual will work within a team environment that provides data resource development and support for several companies. They will be responsible for analyzing, designing and coding solutions for rapidly growing companies supporting the property & casualty insurance industry.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates a robust understanding of all business data processes/processing for a system, and the related data structures.
- Can produce significant new system functionality or defect resolution with minimal direction.
- Creates design specifications that demonstrate an understanding of most interfacing systems and supported business processes. (can understanding business processes go to the developer/analyst)
- Routinely proposes improvements to a data process and/or structure to improve supportability or usability.
- Can perform adequate peer review on any changes in the system.
- Can be consulted to provide recommendations to solve business issues based on experience and knowledge of current technology.
- Demonstrates understanding of data processes and/or structures.
- Will be required to communicate with employees primarily up to the mid-level within both company and client companies.
- May provide mentorship to others.
- May begin to develop sphere of influence with other teams.
- Will be required to communicate and coordinate within the team.
- May be responsible for on-call rotation.
- Some travel required up to 20%.
Design, communicate and advocate user experience concepts for new and existing products and features that can be applied to WR Berkley Corporation initiatives, by creating and refining visual designs, interaction designs and iconography as well as site architecture, wireframes and task flows.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with WR Berkley Corporation companies, business analysts, technical staff, and project team members to plan, design, develop, implement and enhance the user experience of applications.
- Identify industry best practices for user experience and ensure that they are leveraged throughout organization to address business and user goals.
- Develop, maintain and improve user interface design to ensure that WR Berkley Corporation is setting industry standards for excellence.
- Identify gaps in existing systems end-to-end user experience.
- Iterate and improve design processes and tools to measurably enhance productivity or product quality.
- Develop and support reusable interface concepts as part of the BTS Style Guide.
- Validate designs through reviews, usability testing and direct interaction with users and product managers.
- Travel less than 25%.
Evaluates information and performs basic underwriting functions in support of the Underwriting staff. Assures risks meet established eligibility guidelines and complies with company and regulatory standards. Reviews information for standard new business, renewals, quotes and endorsements within established time and quality standards.
- Supports Underwriter by reviewing incoming correspondence and applications to determine proper procedural action. Examines information provided in the application and related resources to determine if risk meets established eligibility guidelines.
- Consults agent or obtains reports for Underwriter when additional information is necessary. Routes risk-involved matters that are beyond assigned authority level to Underwriter for evaluation. Maintains established department service and quality standards.
- Evaluates standard renewal commercial property/casualty accounts and endorsements, within authority level, by reviewing updated account information, claims experience, risk control surveys, risk acceptability and pricing. Consults agent for additional information when necessary. Pulls third party data into underwriting file as required.
- Answers basic underwriting questions from agents. Routes risk-involved matters to Underwriter for evaluation. Reviews final policies for all lines of business and routes to agent.
Evaluates information and performs basic underwriting and pricing functions in support of the Underwriting staff. Processes and rates standard new business, renewals, quotes and endorsements within established time and quality standards.
- Works in conjunction with underwriter and underwriting assistant to support new business, renewal, and endorsement activities.
- Monitors and processes all incoming work from new business inbox. Enters client information into Clearance and basic info completed into policy rating system. Helps gather and organize information that supports underwriting decisions. Routes policy information to underwriting assistant for review.
- Completes rating and generates necessary worksheets/proposals, turns to underwriting assistant for final review. Processes policies for all lines of business.
- Maintains established department service and quality standards.
- Consults UA/UW for additional information when necessary. Routes risk-involved matters to Underwriter for evaluation.
- Performs policy administration system testing and quality assurance on an as needed basis. Works with BTS and BSS to resolve system and product issues to ensure accuracy of the policies.
Leads company-wide initiatives around areas of privacy, business continuity, record retention, and reporting. Coordinates the organization's quality, security, and maintenance of data. Defines data elements and establishes policies & procedures related to the collection and accuracy of data, and performs tests on data systems. Ensures sufficient data quality is maintained so that the data will effectively support business processes.
- Act as Data Steward to define data elements, create data capture processes and procedures, maintain data quality, optimize workflows, monitor usage to assist teams and ensure compliance and security of the data.
- Manages and assists with monthly data loading and validation from third party systems.
- Leads Privacy Governance efforts – file security & content management.
- Orchestrates Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery Plans and compliance.
- Coordinates File retention (paper and electronic) management for third party administrators.
- Provides data extracts for Bureau & State Reporting – countrywide – for Admitted and Non-Admitted companies.
- Participate in onboarding of third party administrators to assess capabilities to meet the company’s data needs and define data specifications for data transfer.
- Collaborates with senior leaders and business associates as needed for information and analysis.
- Takes an active role in the develop of management reports and provide the most efficient access to data
- Consistently seeks to improve processes and information/data gathering that enables the business to make better overall decisions
- Tests software changes when requested by management.
- Assists in operational and data-related projects as assigned
The Agency Experience Manager supports the development of various marketing, branding and sales programs within one or more geographical territories. The ideal location for this Southeast region focused role is Atlanta, GA but s/he can be located in a variety of major metropolitan areas in the region with access to an airport. This role, an important individual contributor to the Berkley One brand, will be responsible for driving successful, productive relationships and growth with our agency partners and other networking partners. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Executing agency management strategies, including tactical distribution management activities, in order to meet or exceed growth and profit targets by state and by agent/broker
- In assigned geography, identifying and appointing new agent/broker partners who will positively contribute to the growth of Berkley One
- Leading agency business planning, including new business, retention, hit ratio, profit and other targets
- Executing activities and projects relative to business development, lead generation, networking and events, campaign management and brand building
- Providing quote coaching and other new business assistance to agency partners
- Tracking agency partner financial performance and pro-actively adjust strategies and tactics to leverage opportunities, revenue generation and the establishment of the Berkley One brand
- Building successful connections between agency partners and relevant Berkley One functions in order to deliver exceptional customer service
- Contributing to the development of distribution capabilities in support of Berkley One’s business strategies and goals
Join our team of highly skilled Claims Examiners responsible for the analysis and management of workers’ compensation claims. Our Claims Examiners review, investigate, and make decisions regarding coverage, compensability, and appropriateness of claims; as well as process and document claims to ensure compliance with company standards, industry best practices, and legislative provisions. In this position you will act in a fiduciary role on behalf of policyholders, negotiate claim settlements and manage subrogation.
Our Claims Examiners conduct the handling of claims in the utmost of good faith in compliance with the rules, regulations and statutes of the WCAB and State of California. We function with a high degree of competency and sound judgment, coupled with consistent results!
Responsibilities for this opportunity include:
- Analyzing and processing workers’ compensation claims by investigating and gathering information to determine the exposure on the claim.
- Negotiating the settlement of claims up to designated authority level and making claims payments.
- Calculating and assigning timely and appropriate reserves to claims and continuing to manage reserve adequacy throughout the life of the claim.
- Calculating and paying benefits due; approving all claim payments; and settling claims within designated authority level.
- Developing and managing claims through well-developed action plans; continuing to work the action plan to bring the claim to an appropriate and timely resolution.
- Preparing necessary state filings within statutory limits.
- Actively managing the litigation process; ensuring timely and cost effective claims resolution.
- Coordinating vendor referrals for additional investigation and/or litigation management.
- Using appropriate cost containment techniques including strategic vendor partnerships to reduce overall cost of claims.
- Managing claim recoveries of all types, including but not limited to subrogation, Second Injury Fund recoveries, and Social Security offsets.
- Reporting claims to the excess carrier, responds to requests of directions in a professional and timely manner.
- Frequently communicating with all appropriate parties involved with the claim.
- Referring cases as appropriate to management.
- Maintaining professional client relationships.
- Actively executing appropriate claims activities to ensure consistent delivery of quality claims service.