The VP Chief Actuary will provide strategic direction and leadership to the Company's Actuarial function by proactively participates with the senior management team in developing and executing strategic plans to achieve the Company’s business objectives.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains actuarial policies and standards, ensuring they are consistent with regulatory and corporate standards.
- Ensures actuarial valuations comply with all relevant regulatory, accounting and professional standards and requirements.
- Leads the completion of Rate Reviews, Ratemaking and Actuarial Indications including support of forecasting investment rate of return, underwriting expense provisions, frequency/severity and exposure trends. Innovates and improves both accuracy and efficiency in the processes.
- Leads the regular preparation of adequate loss and expense reserves estimates, including any financial information pertaining to reserves needed by the Financial Department, company management, or corporate.
- Adapts and develops rating methodologies for both existing and new company products using advanced techniques to incorporate new variables, etc., in pursuit of a competitive advantage and creation of economic profit opportunities.
- Leads the actuarial component of the company's planning processes. Collaborates on the long-range planning and forecasting of the Company to maximize Company performance over time.
- Identifies segments with profitable growth potential; identifies under-performing segments and proposes corrective actions to improve profitability.
- In conjunction with the Executive Team, evaluate and identify potential markets or opportunities external to the Company that will provide long term profitable growth.
- Performs advanced analytics and modeling techniques including but not limited to generalized linear modeling and other forms of multivariate analysis. This role is expected to build, refine and improve existing models as well as develop new techniques and applications to different areas of the company.
- Leads the innovation and efficiency efforts related to tools and analysis in support of Underwriting's pricing decisions with respect to large accounts as well as small commercial portfolio price adequacy analyses.
- Identifies, retrieves, and prepares data in support of actuarial analysis. Includes internal data and various forms of external data.
- Prepares and manages department budget and resources including explaining variances and related reporting.
- Develops and maintains relationships with other W.R. Berkley Claims Leaders to capitalize on business opportunities and efficiencies.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Company’s policies and applicable laws
- Creates a high performance culture through effective communication, quality goal setting and proactive management of performance.
- Provides regular and effective feedback, coaching and guidance. Establishes development plans for employees to address knowledge gaps and facilitate career growth.
- Partners with Human Resources to make hiring, termination and compensation decisions.
Email Alert Options
You can save these search settings as an email alert, meaning an email will be sent to you every time a new opening matches your criteria. If you would like to create an email alert, please fill out the form below and click the save button.