Click column header to sort
We have an exciting opportunity for an Accounting Controller to join Berkley Mid-Atlantic Insurance Group. S/he will report to the company CFO/Treasurer and be responsible for managing a team, maintaining accurate financials and providing information necessary to serve the interests of the individuals involved in making financial decisions and forecasts. Key functions will include but not be limited to:
- Safeguarding company assets, ensuring compliance with regulatory entities, producing reliable financial data in a timely and efficient manner.
- Supporting various aspects of the accounting and reporting processes by collaborating with team mates to close, prepare, review, and analyze financial results and statements.
- Functioning as the SOX Business Coordinator for designated companies, overseeing the planning and execution of financial internal control management as required by WRB.
- Developing and managing the companies’ budget and forecasting processes and providing monthly financial forecasting to support the strategic plan.
- Recognizing issues and challenges and presenting them to management in a professional manner which includes recommending solutions.
- Developing workflow processes that are key drivers for the business.
- Mentoring and coaching a team of accounting professionals.
- Leading the team in addressing audit review concerns, internal controls, and SOX Compliance.
- Contributing to the overall morale of the Company with a positive attitude and professional manner.
The Accounts Receivable Coordinator is responsible for performing accounting duties for a portion of BMAG's premium accounts receivable which include, but are not limited to, billing, collecting, reviewing, and reconciling. Key functions include but are not limited to:
- Perform all the duties of an Accounts Receivable Coordinator, including data entry, review of accounts, and maintenance of Electronic Fund Transfer information-
- Respond to insured, agent, and underwriting inquiries and/or complaints either in written or oral form.
- Review and process requests for premium refunds and commission adjustments.
- Recommend payment arrangements in consultation with a supervisor and/or manager.
- Refer appropriate past due accounts to a supervisor and/or manager for possible transfer to collection agencies. Assist in monitoring and reporting on collection agency activities.
- Maintain orderly, well documented files and reports for either agency or direct bill information.
- In addition to the above, be fully capable and proficient in both Direct Bill and Agency Bill customer service.
- Review and verify customer account statements, including audits, cancellations, rescinded items and final notices. Be proficient in the requirements of any and all states.
- Review and verify the accuracy of direct bill commission statements as assigned.
- Ensure timely and accurate: collections of payments, daily reconciliations of cash, daily reviews of the Lockbox file; setup requests for EFT/ACH transactions, and "Insufficient Funds" payments.
- Bill and review past due audits and earned premium on cancelled/expired policies. Monitor and report on premiums over 30 days past due.
- Perform timely research and resolution of all discrepancies between agency account current statements and BMAG's statements; and the monthly reconciliation of differences between agencies' and BMAG's accounts.
- Communicate discrepancies and differences to agencies on a regular basis and perform timely follow-ups.
- Monitor and report on premiums over 90 days past due, and review past due audits.
- Ensure timely and accurate collections of payments for agency bill accounts; and set up requests for EFT/ACH transactions, if applicable.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Actuarial Pricing Director to join our team! In this role, you will report to the VP Chief Actuary of Berkley Mid-Atlantic Insurance Group. You will drive rate reviews, participate in the company’s planning processes, and provide analysis and tools that support profitable growth.
- Collaborate effectively within the Actuarial department and with the company’s leaders to deliver insightful and timely analyses.
- Recommend rate changes based on portfolio performance and market environment.
- Lead state and product rate reviews and filings by interpreting bureau rate changes.
- Drive the actuarial component of the company’s planning processes.
- Identify, retrieve, and prepare internal and external data in support of actuarial analysis.
- Interpret and implement advanced analytics models for pricing and other applications.
- Identify segments with profitable growth potential or underperforming segments and propose strategy adjustments.
The Loss Control Specialist provides occupational risk assessment and risk management services in support of developing and retaining select clients aligned with the business objectives of the company. In alignment with the assigned book of business, this position also establishes the client’s risks management business plans, participates in the client risk management process and identifies and supports opportunities to enhance client management of occupational risk. Supports underwriting with risk selection and ongoing account management. Key functions include but are not limited to:
- Conducts new business and renewal Loss Control surveys in support of
- Underwriting risk selection practices
- Provides policyholder Loss Control services targeting loss performance
- improvement and retention
- Collaborates with Underwriting, Claims, the policyholder and agent in the delivery
- and execution of Loss Control survey and service practices
- Imparts strong technical and business skills across all major lines of coverage
- with peers, business partners and external customers
- Supports the continual improvement and growth of the Loss Control Department
- through internal training and education, practice and procedure development,
- and process enhancement contributions
- Fosters and sustains professional relationships with peers, business partners, policyholders and agents
- Conducts multi-coverage line Loss Control surveys on a broad spectrum of industries of varying size and complexity in the Middle Market segment
- Submits recommendations and manages their follow-up internally and externally to improve risk conditions
- Facilitates, develops and delivers Loss Control services to targeted policyholders through analyses, planning and collaboration
- Fosters relationships with policyholders and agents aligned to Loss Control objectives targeting brand recognition and value
- Participates in individual and team-based agency visits focusing on the delivery of technical capability, policyholder support and brand value.
- Shares existing and newly acquired technical knowledge with policyholders, agents, peers and business partners through training and education practices
- Keeps abreast of industry and technical news and developments and share the knowledge gained with peers, business partners, policyholders and agents
- Participates and contributes to internal, multi-discipline round table meetings
The Berkley Mid-Atlantic Executive Sales Underwriter maintains responsibility for underwriting, including growth and profitability, for an individual book of business while also maintaining the sales and territory management functions for that same book of business. They will oversee new business as well as manage a renewal book, including risk selection, pricing, setting terms and conditions as well as handle endorsements, agency requests, loss control, audits, etc.
As a Senior Underwriter, you will obtain and evaluate information needed to underwrite and price new business, renewals and service endorsements on individual policies within your delegated level of authority. This role works with an underwriting team and our agency partners and offers the opportunity to learn and grow within commercial underwriting.
- Manage a territory of select, independent agents. Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group strives to build strong, deep relationships with a limited number of agencies in each territory.
- Develop and maintain positive agency relationships.
- Partner with assigns territory sales managers to support customer needs and drive value.
- Examine new business to determine if risk meets established eligibility guidelines
- Stay abreast of competitor actions and pricing in assigned territory, make recommendations to ensure BMAG’s Small Commercial product offering continues to be relevant and differentiated in the market.
- Evaluate prospective profitability of potential business submissions and make justifiable pre-qualification decisions
- Train, and advocate for BMAG agency collaboration tools like our quote systems, agency portal and online endorsement capabilities
- Utilize various underwriting tools to determine acceptable risk characteristics, determine accurate exposure classifications, set adequate property limits to accomplish appropriate insurance to value, and rate and quote business agents.
- Other duties as required
Our Berkley Mid-Atlantic Executive Sales Underwriter maintains responsibility for underwriting, including growth and profitability, for an individual book of business while also maintaining the sales and territory management functions for that same book of business. They will oversee new business as well as manage a renewal book, including risk selection, pricing, setting terms and conditions as well as handle endorsements, agency requests, loss control, audits, etc.
Detailed Areas of Focus
- Demonstrate broad knowledge of the business, the marketplace and the company’s overall goals, objectives and performance measures through effective deliver of all products and services
- Act as a referral source, within assigned authority, on coverage and pricing
- Achieve profitable growth through effective use of underwriting and business skills in assigned territory
- Gather and analyze information to determine risk acceptability
- Recognize and advocate certain expectations to underwriting standards and create viable options
- Identify critical exposures, trends, and opportunities and develop strategies to address them
- Assess rate adequacy relative to exposure
- Recognize and negotiate advanced coverage and pricing issues
- Demonstrate advanced selling skills
- Territory Management – for Assigned Territory, Participate in:
- Development of territory game plan and overall strategy in unison with BMAG vision (current and future)
- Agency reviews (at least quarterly)
- Organize incentives (monetary or NYC events, super producer events)
- Facilitate profit sharing delivery
- Agency Management – for Assigned Territory, Complete:
- Profit sharing updates throughout the year, with focus on next level achievement (maximize revenue)
- Progress reports to plan and other incentives, monitor joint business plan
- Find a niche, questioning and developing agents’ books and matching with our UW appetite
- Schedule virtual and in person visits with pre-call agenda, inviting pertinent internal (and external) people
- Leveraging who we are, what we do to gain elite partnership with agency and perpetuate agency to top 3 of their carrier line up
- Communication of target appetite
- Distribute marketing messages that are developed and tailored to the agency
- Facilitate leads and marketing to agents and/or producers
- Resolution of
- Product, Billing, Pricing, Relationship, Service, Claims and Automation issues by vetting problem and then bringing in the applicable partners to resolve
- Internal Partnering with BMAG and other WRB companies
- Provide competitor/market intel for product development
- Collaborate with Sales Peers across the Berkley family of companies
- Offer Solutions with everything Berkley
The Senior Accountant is responsible for assisting with preparation of weekly, monthly and quarterly financial analysis schedules of actual vs. budget variances. S/he prepares detailed annual financial budget and monthly financial forecasts. Provide financial analysis support to various areas of the company. Prepares and analyzes financial results related to inquiries from management. Key functions include but are not limited to:
- Monitors financial systems, procedures, and controls for accuracy, analyzes sufficiency of expense accruals and prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statement journal entries and management reports.
- Prepares monthly and quarterly calculations and monitors significant financial statement items such as reinsurance, expenses (DAC, commission, etc.), and losses.
- Assists in the preparation of annual planning forecasts and other related planning inputs and exhibits. Provides modeling assistance to determine the impact of potential scenarios and plans.
- Prepares financial analyses and assists with special projects supporting operating units or corporate initiatives (accounting, systems, etc.)
- Assists in the preparation of monthly and quarterly management reporting on actual vs. plan results, providing variance analysis.
- Reviews financial accounts and prepares account reconciliations, adheres to and provides assistance with financial control (SOX) documentation, processes and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
The Territory Sales Manager is responsible for developing our Business Insurance portfolio, servicing and growing assigned territory through an outside sales approach that consists of an assignment of targeted agencies. Achieving success will include: optimizing the growth potential, exceeding or meeting year over year growth and profit objectives.
- Sales Pipeline Development – assist with prequalifying submissions, identifying growth opportunities, portfolio transfers and incentive opportunities.
- Accountable for building and maintaining effective relationships with agencies/brokers within assigned territory.
- In collaboration with the Distribution Leader, completes strategic marketing plans for territory to identify opportunities and potential challenges from which strategies and tactics are developed, including:
- Creating and development of Quarterly Agency Reviews
- Managing on-going agency scorecards and producer reports
- Facilitating agency council meetings in territory
- Profit sharing updates throughout the year, with focus on next level achievement
- Progress reports to plan and other incentives, monitor joint business plan
- Develop agency and underwriter relationships
- Schedule virtual and in-person visits with the appropriate stakeholders
- Leveraging who we are, what we do to gain elite partnership with agency and perpetuate agency to top 5 of their carrier line up
- Communication of competitive classes to target
- Distribute on-going marketing messages and initiatives
- Facilitate and develop leads to agents/producers
- Plan and attend Industry trade shows and company road shows
- Agency system access and set up, maintenance with users, etc.
- Keeping agency profiles up to date
- Producer licensing
- New appointment process
- Code management
- Vetting and resolution of Service, Claims and Automation issues, escalating if/when needed
Agency Training and Education
- Webinars on various topics, in conjunction with marketing/underwriting
- Agency staff training, as needed
Internal Partnering with Underwriting or other WRB companies.
- Provide competitor/market intel for product development
Collaborate with Sales Peers across the Berkley family of companies