The Underwriting Intern is an opportunity to gain valuable exposure to the insurance industry. While serving in this capacity the intern will:
- Follow the intern plan to visit every area of the company for a short period of time, learning how the entire business functions.
- Complete weekly projects as assigned
- Conduct research on topics provided by CUO and CSO
- Conduct analysis of workflow pertaining to quotes, new business and renewals.
- Review automated workflow from input into system until release from system
- Evaluate at each step what is occurring outside of the automated workflow indentifying decision points, reports ordered and analysis done
- Prepare a proposal that will identify improvement points and suggestions for efficiencies for each workflow.
Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group
PA, Harrisburg - 4811 Jonestown Road
The Workers’ Compensation Claims Representative plays a critical role maintaining the company’s exceptional performance standards by providing quality claim handling and superior service to our customers, while also engaging in indemnity and expense management. Success in this position will be driven by combining your experience in Workers’ Compensation claims management with excellent communication and critical reasoning. This professional may work from our offices in Glen Allen (Richmond) VA, Harrisburg or Sewickley (Pittsburgh), PA. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Investigate, evaluate, reserve, negotiate and resolve claims in multiple jurisdictions and in accordance with Best Practices.
- Promptly manage claims by completing essential functions including contacts, investigation, damages development, evaluation, reserving, and disposition.
- Regularly handles claims involving complex coverage issues, severe injuries, intellectual property matters, and contractual liability issues.
- Develop action plans and handle the claims from assignment to early conclusion.
- Review incoming mail daily, responding as needed to bring the claim to a prompt fair conclusion and seeking supervision as needed.
- Prepare large loss reports as needed to include updated action plan and recommended reserves.
- Maintain a current diary on outstanding claims.
- Provide direction and guidance to defense attorneys and other experts while controlling expenses.
- Meet or exceed specific objectives for service, quality, and reserving standards and other measurable performance items.
- Occasional local and overnight travel may be required for this position.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Claim Supervisor.