The Claims Assistant reports to the Claims Manager and performs administrative duties for claim handlers and supervisors in accordance with company standards, procedures and state regulatory requirements. This is a temporary position which may lead to full time employment opportunities for the successful hire. Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Completing input of first reports, suits
- Types coverage position letters and other forms of correspondence
- Uses EXCEL or WORD to complete projects for the Claims Department, when requested
- Maintains activity records and completes monthly reports
- Maintains and controls check issuance as required. Pays bills, files forms, ensures that required regulatory letters are sent out, photocopies.
- Inputs data, processes checks and mails out same
- Handles incoming calls and performs customer service functions
- Performs duties in conjunction with claim departments Best Practices guidelines
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. These are functions that a person must be able to perform in the job, either unaided or with the assistance of a “reasonable accommodation”.
- Performs advanced analytics and modeling techniques including but not limited to generalize linear modeling and other forms of multivariate analysis. This role is expected to build, refine and improve existing models as well as develop new techniques and applications to different areas of the company.
- Identifies, retrieves, and prepares data in support of actuarial analysis through SQL, Essbase/SmartView, R and other data sources. Includes internal data (exposure, premium, loss, claims, price, etc.) and various forms of external data (bureau loss costs, bureau trends, macroeconomic data, market share, market pricing, etc.)
- Ensures the accuracy and suitability of data for the business need at hand. Manipulates data, performs preliminary analysis and interprets data through various analytics platforms. Summarizes and presents recommendations.
- Adapts and develops predictive models (both new and existing) using advanced techniques. This includes incorporating new variables, etc., in pursuit of a competitive advantage and creation of economic profit opportunities. Helps shape the overall advanced analytics strategy for the organization.
- Supports the transformation of business intelligence tools from static reporting to dashboards, increasing data visualization and availability, supporting cross-division collaboration and operationalizing advanced analytics.
- Supports the Actuarial function in identifying segments with profitable growth potential and underperforming segments. Assists in proposing corrective actions to improve profitability.
- In additional to regular modeling responsibilities, this person will use critical thinking skills and apply advanced modeling techniques, including but not limited to AI/Machine Learning, to provide insights and solve business problems including techniques such as classification and regression trees, random forests, neural networks, clustering, and other machine learning techniques.
- May participate in other departmental deliverables and activities such as enterprise risk management (including support for catastrophe management), reinsurance strategy and the traditional Actuarial techniques for rate reviews, loss reserving and planning. Provides innovation and leadership when applicable.
- Leads the innovation and efficiency efforts across all company departments.
- Provides support for two Berkley Operating Units: Berkley Luxury Group and Berkley Global Product Recall.