Click column header to sort
We are flexible on location for this role.
As a member of the Specialty Select team, the Specialty Business Development Underwriter will manage assigned national relationship(s) to drive profitable growth and achieve business unit objectives through a customized approach and alignment with each strategic partner to include the implementation of creative solutions in process, structure and compensation to assure agile and appropriate response to each customer’s specific needs.
- Review and underwrite new business submissions for acceptability according to authority granted
- Evaluate, accept, reject or modify risks within established underwriting guidelines and authority
- Comply with company policies, procedures & rating plans when evaluating and managing risk
- Make sound risk and pricing decisions to drive profitable growth and achieve business objectives
- Achieve designated customer service standards with a focus on fast turn-around time
- Provide detailed issuance instructions to ensure policy is delivered consistent with quoted terms and conditions and in accordance with established guidelines relative to policy construction
- Utilize various underwriting tools to determine acceptable risk characteristics, accurate classifications, insurance to value, calculate rates, etc.
- Recognize and create cross selling opportunities for other company products
- Develop deep understanding of partner agents and work together to develop processes, SLA and rules of engagement customized to maximize their efficiencies and economics
- Assist in the development, implementation and execution of the Aspire Specialty Select strategy
- Assist in the development of a Specialty Select value proposition and ensure successful marketing of our products on a countrywide basis
- Provide subject matter expertise to the development of relevant automation technology, product design, underwriting and operations
- Assist the management team with training, mentoring and coaching of new associates and less experienced team members
- Stay abreast and knowledgeable of market trends and conditions to guide our business and achieve desired objectives
- Develop strong, long term relationships with assigned agency partners to profitably grow a book of business
- Participate on projects and initiatives as assigned by leadership
- Model behavior that encourages collaboration, teamwork and open communication
- May perform other functions as assigned.
Distribution Leads serve as brand ambassadors to prospective and existing production partners. They work closely with business development underwriters, the marketing team, and others to drive awareness of Berkley Aspire’s value proposition, business model, underwriting appetite, and product portfolio. Through their knowledge and their efforts – agent/broker visits, representing Aspire at trade shows and industry events, digital outreach and other forms of lead generation and follow-up – Distribution Leads are responsible for promoting Aspire, increasing the consistent flow of quality submissions, and increasing the volume of profitable premium.
A Distribution Lead will have responsibility for a defined geographic area or distribution vertical. Success in this role is driven by the ability to form and strengthen strategic relationships; sales and analytic skills; a willingness to travel; a command of commercial insurance industry trends and dynamics; the ability to clearly and succinctly describe the competitive advantages of Aspire; collaborative skills and someone committed to being a dependable, selfless teammate; an attention to detail; entrepreneurial spirit; receptivity to new ideas; improvisational skills; and, demonstrated ability to be relentless and accountable when following-up.
• Communicating – in writing, in person, remotely - with appointed agents about new products, product extensions, and product launches.
• Recruiting new agents.
• Identifying affinity marketing and/or alternative distribution sales opportunities.
• Collaborating with underwriters, the marketing team, the executive leadership team and sister companies.
• Encouraging agents to submit opportunities consistent with our underwriting appetite to Aspire.
• Driving profitable premium growth across all distribution segments/verticals.
• Representing Aspire at meetings with production partners and industry conferences and trade shows.
• Recommending new tactics and strategies for promoting Aspire and our product portfolio.
• Providing actionable feedback, business intelligence (i.e., competitors, threats to the business, coverage gaps, rate trends, emerging markets, etc.), and “voice of the customer” insights to the VP of Marketing, Sales & Distribution, the executive leadership team, business development underwriters, and others.
#LI - Remote
Manage an assigned underwriting territory to achieve profitable growth, including underwriting new business, renewals, endorsements and other transactions. Identify new business opportunities and manage agency relationships.
- Develop relationships and educate agents within agency plant to maximize opportunities and achieve profitable growth.
- Initiate outbound calls to agencies to identify sales opportunities and collect agent intelligence.
- Achieve new business premium, renewal premium retention and rate change objectives.
- Within company guidelines and granted underwriting authority, evaluate new and renewal account information to determine risk acceptability, terms / conditions to be quoted, and pricing.
- Make sound risk and pricing decisions that achieve profitable loss ratios.
- Maintain underwriting quality score of 90% or greater. Document underwriting file to support acceptability and pricing in accordance with company guidelines.
- Achieve customer service standards, including established objectives for:
- New business quote turnaround
- Renewal quotes
- Endorsement, cancellation, audits and other transactions
- Policy issuance
- Provide detailed issuance instructions to ensure policy is delivered consistent with quoted terms and conditions and in accordance with established guidelines relative to policy construction.
- Review mid-term endorsement requests for acceptability and provide instructions for processing.
- Evaluate premium audit referrals to determine class acceptability and/or appropriateness of current exposure base. Adjust current term with acceptable changes to ensure company gets timely payment of adequate premium.
- Order and review inspections to confirm accounts written are consistent with preliminary underwriting information and takes action when the inspection reveals unacceptable risk characteristics.
- Assist with training, mentoring and coaching of less experienced team members.
- Determine if facultative reinsurance is needed and if so, factor reinsurance cost in gross pricing, complete cession procedures; documentation file, and follow established workflow procedure to ensure proper reporting / accounting.
- Utilize various underwriting tools to:
- Determine acceptable risk characteristics
- Determine accurate exposure classifications
- Set adequate property limits to accomplish appropriate insurance to value
- Rate and quote business to agents
- Support other underwriters as assigned when the other underwriter is traveling or out on vacation / sick time.
Berkley Aspire seeks to add an inspired content creator to our marketing and communications team. You will be a listener, researcher, and natural collaborator. Your skill set will be geared toward copy writing/editing, but may also include graphic design, video production, public relations, digital marketing or photography. Experience in a corporate setting (either as an employee, freelancer, or at a contracted agency) is a bonus.
This is a fast-paced environment with many projects and priorities. Our ultimate goal is to create a comprehensive, dynamic content library, and to regularly refresh/rotate our digital properties. This role is onsite in Scottsdale on a hybrid schedule. #LI-hybrid
In this role you will:
- Create copy for brochures, email campaigns, product descriptions and conference collateral
- Collaborate with marketing team to identify content themes, messaging and storytelling opportunities
- Work with leadership, underwriting, and distribution teams to understand product needs, and competitive landscape
- Gain an idea of branding and Aspire story for look, feel, voice and tone
- Stay ahead of latest trends, interests, and passions related to content management
- Consistently meet goals and deadlines
For June 2023
Berkley Aspire is seeking a Tax Support Specialist to join our operations team! This is a great opportunity to get into the P&C insurance field.
In this role, you will:
- Research, correct, provide phone assistance and correspond with agents, policy holders, and mortgage companies regarding issues with billing, payment processing, installments, cancellation notices, audits, commissions, or refunds on a daily basis
- Coordinate with Underwriting and/or Agents regarding policy rewrites, receipt of monies for reinstatement and cancellations, and payment options
- Review, process, and mail notices, acknowledgements, monthly agent account statements and other correspondence
- Monitor email accounts and respond in a timely and professional manner to email inquiries and communications
- Prepare all daily cash deposits
- Maintain and monitor disbursements in the surplus lines tax account for timely funding of the account.
- File and report surplus lines taxes for all jurisdictions
- Resolve any conflicts in surplus lines tax
- Assist with preparation for any audits relative to surplus lines tax
- Provide support to all interdepartmental personnel as requested or assigned
- Complete special projects assigned by management