Click column header to sort
Are you looking to expand your insurance knowledge and gain some hands on experience in the business world? Are you dedicated, hardworking and tend to think outside of the box? Then this quite possibly may be the opportunity for you!
This role will give you the best intern experience in our Environmental Underwriting department. You will be able to work directly with our Underwriters and gain valuable marketing experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct financial and MVR (motor vehicle record) analysis
- Participate in marketing and broker projects
- Conduct underwriting background and data collection through database searches, aerial photographs, etc…
- Research Projects
- Organize BPM (business process management) electronic files
- Assist Underwriters and Underwriting Assistants as needed
The primary goal with Berkley Industrial Comp’s internship program is to provide an exciting, valuable experience learning the insurance industry. The role will work alongside our underwriting team learning the business from a hands-on perspective. The experience gained in this internship will provide a great foundation for future success in the insurance industry.
Are you ready to join a growing organization like Berkley Industrial Comp?
- Enter new business submissions in Endeavor and ImageRight
- Complete ELR models for underwriters, new and renewal business
- Issue new/renewal policies and endorsements
- Review and process requests received from agents as directed (i.e. sending loss runs, E-Mod worksheets, etc.)
- Assist the Core Accounts Supervisor as well as the other underwriters
Create, lead and present a capstone project providing value to Berkley Industrial Comp to the Senior Management team at the end of the summer internship.
HUMAN RESOURCES INTERN
Midwest Employers Casualty (MEC) is a member of the W. R. Berkley Corporation, a Fortune 500 company, rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best Company, based in Chesterfield, MO. We improve the quality of life for employees severely injured on the job and help companies understand and mitigate their risk for workers’ compensation injuries. MEC has a friendly, results-focused work environment. We seek employees who take initiative, are quick to adapt, are dependable, and like working as part of a team.
- Administer candidate assessments.
- Respond to employment verifications.
- Conduct exit interviews with departing employees.
- Conduct new hire orientation.
- Assist with tracking human resources analytics.
- Conduct new hire follow up conversations at 30, 60, and 90 days after hire.
- Enter data into Workday HRIS system.
- Assist with special projects, as assigned.
Responsible for the supervision of all Management & Professional Liability Claims related matters as well as the analysis, development and execution of claims strategies to deliver optimal loss cost management and customer satisfaction in support of overall business objectives. Work collaboratively with the Berkley Select Leadership Team in loss trend, coverage and exposure analysis for existing business and new opportunities. Work directly with internal claims personnel and outside partners (legal counsel, TPA’s) to manage and achieve high standards of productivity, efficiency and alignment of organizational goals. Ensure compliance with all local, federal and state regulations related to claims while minimizing risk/exposure to the organization.
- Ensure that all valid claims are paid promptly and accurately
- Ensure that adequate claim reserves are established and maintained. Appreciate the importance of accurate reserving in assisting the company maintain adequate rates.
- Manage expenses appropriately to enable optimal outcome in complex cases.
- Analyze existing claims strategy to ascertain effectiveness. Develop and implement appropriate claims strategy in conjunction with the President, Chief Underwriter, Chief Actuary and Chief Financial Officer.
- Provide vision and leadership to the Claims organization in accordance with the established strategy
- Cultivate a culture that excels in communication and collaboration
- Lead in the development, implementation and continuous planning of all claim programs, metrics, processes, results and initiatives
- Collaborate with Underwriting, Actuarial, Finance and other stakeholders to ensure knowledge sharing on market trends, legal changes and loss developments
- Leverage resources, technology, and processes to drive innovation through the use of predicative analytics within the department
- Understand and utilize internal claim best practices for proper and consistent claim performance, compliance and achievement of business goals
- Work with the Leadership Team on cost containment strategies including allocated and unallocated expenses within the Claims operation
- Create the Claims annual operational goals, objectives and budget
- Supervise and analyze effectiveness of panel counsel to assure compliance with agreed upon metrics and recommend changes to the President where necessary.
- Provide regular Claims updates to brokers and reinsurers as necessary.
- Ensure sound litigations management practices, including detailed review of legal bills using appropriate tools
- Attend mediations, arbitrations, depositions, trials, as necessary
- Perform other duties and/or projects as assigned by the President
The Windows Systems Administrator is responsible for the implementation and support of Windows Server based operating systems and various applications, hardware and software platforms. Regular job responsibilities will involve supporting a variety of technologies, customer and team driven projects, handling trouble tickets on a priority basis, lifting/moving heavy server and other related equipment, participation in tasks related to helpdesk and desktop support service orders required to meet customer needs, and supporting international business units. Some travel may be required. A comprehensive performance management plan will involve the identification, discussion and implementation of personal and business related objectives and goals aimed at career and team development.
Join us as a Territory Underwriting Manager who will develop regional and local Business Strategic, Tactical and Operational plans. Execute Action Plans, develop deep agency relationships, and represents the Company locally, regionally and on a national basis. Partner with Sr. Management of the Company and Regional Companies to drive both growth and profitability. Place your mark in the development of Marine and Property strategic and tactical plans based on company plans, technological advances, and corporate plans and work within limits of authority requiring the highest degree of technical complexity and coordination. Our focus will be on complex property, marine risks and programs that will drive profitable growth.
Making an impact includes:
- Building superior distribution partnerships with agents and brokers. Developing and implements sales plans to leverage profitable business growth.
- Analyzing applications, determining acceptability of risk in accordance with Company guidelines and practices in order to make the appropriate underwriting decisions. Applying underwriting guidelines and appetite to risk selection and pricing.
- Keeping current on state/territory issues and regulations, industry activity and trends and freely shares information with others. Negotiating with agents to reach positive and profitable outcomes.
- Developing a diverse book of business consisting of varied inland marine and property classes of business, risk size and complexity. Analyzing quality, quantity, and profitability of risks underwritten and preparing reports for management review.
- Assisting in the management of the Inland Marine and Property business to achieve the goals and objectives established. Ensuring continued profitable growth.
- You may provide guidance and assistance to other underwriters and to other functional areas, particularly when related to cross-sell opportunities and providing assistance to underwriters requiring referrals due to the authority levels.
- Collaborating with management on risks exceeding authority level or requiring special handling. Evaluating underwriting performance based on financial analysis including rate, reserve adequacy, operational execution, planning and product reviews.
- Collaborating with Regional Companies in developing regional inland marine and property business plans.
- Assisting with product development in creation of innovative products and service to introduce to the market.
- Collaborating with business partners in Risk Control, Actuarial, Finance and Claims to driver profitable results and developing program opportunities.
W. R. Berkley Corporation is looking for a summer intern who is interested in accounting and corporate taxes. The right person will be exposed to various tax rules and requirements and gain a general understanding of the use of accounting data in the tax reporting process.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with Excel to organize accounting information and complete required computations
- Work with tax software applications to input data
- Prepare work papers to support computations and figures used in the tax process
- Support tax department with various projects
- Other job duties as assigned
Berkley Core Competencies
- Customer Focus and Teamwork
- Innovation and Initiative
The Agency Experience Manager supports the development of various marketing, branding and sales programs within one or more geographical territories. The ideal location for this Mid Atlantic region focused role is the Washington, DC metropolitan area but s/he can be located in a variety of major metropolitan areas in the region with access to an airport. This role, an important individual contributor to the Berkley One brand, will be responsible for driving successful, productive relationships and growth with our agency partners and other networking partners. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Executing agency management strategies, including tactical distribution management activities, in order to meet or exceed growth and profit targets by state and by agent/broker
- In assigned geography, identifying and appointing new agent/broker partners who will positively contribute to the growth of Berkley One
- Leading agency business planning, including new business, retention, hit ratio, profit and other targets
- Executing activities and projects relative to business development, lead generation, networking and events, campaign management and brand building
- Providing quote coaching and other new business assistance to agency partners
- Tracking agency partner financial performance and pro-actively adjust strategies and tactics to leverage opportunities, revenue generation and the establishment of the Berkley One brand
- Building successful connections between agency partners and relevant Berkley One functions in order to deliver exceptional customer service
- Contributing to the development of distribution capabilities in support of Berkley One’s business strategies and goals
The Underwriter is responsible for transactional underwriting and functions associated with underwriting risks on behalf of Berkley One Personal Lines Clients. This position will ideally be located in Morristown, NJ but we're also open to qualified candidates in the Chicago area. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Review and approve new business, endorsements and renewals that fall within underwriting authority and company guidelines. Refer risks that fall outside authority or guidelines.
- Review risk management reports to identify and recommend risk management solutions and requirements
- Provide pro-active quote coaching for agents on new business submissions; align and convert referred accounts to new business
- Recommend service and risk management solutions at new line and other points of the underwriting transaction with agent/broker
- Manage book of business as it grows ensuring high quality and profitability of business
- Anticipate insured and agent needs and find service solutions
- Collaborate with Distribution, Marketing and Customer Service colleagues to ensure alignment and a consistent customer experience
The Business Intelligence Solutions Architect will be responsible for identifying and implementing Business Intelligence (BI) solutions which will provide or improve the organizations various information needs and formulate customized business intelligence solutions.
- Responsible for implementing the strategic design and maintenance of business intelligence applications.
- Proactively identify and implement process improvements through the design and implementation of policies, procedures, standardized documentation, and analytics infrastructure to enforce industry best practices.
- Maintenance of BI Servers, identifying and troubleshooting faults as well as providing recommendations to ensure proper utilization.
- Research new technologies for implementation by the team for producing cutting edge solutions.
- Partner with stakeholders to understand their current and future analytical goals and translate business requirements and end user's needs into architecture blueprints that deliver cost-effective & high performing, high-quality BI solutions.
- Design, manage, and own data pipelines from various sources including internal databases and APIs.
- Document and communicate architectural designs for use by developers, stakeholders and customers.
- Responsible for owning and maintaining SLOs for the BI and reporting platform.
- Work with other solutions architects and product owners across all teams to identify and coordinate interdependencies and priorities.
- Maintain and have ability to automate existing production and workflow reports.
- Explain tasks and processes in a clear and concise manner that can be consumed and understood to non-technical business associates.
- Supports business decisions with ad-hoc analysis as needed.
- Participate in rotation of after-hours support.
- Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
- Demonstrates the WRBC Core Competencies and Innovation Behaviors while performing the Essential Duties and Responsibilities.
This role resides in the Underwriting Systems & Operations Department. The Department consists of four teams including Underwriting Systems, Forms & Filings, Business Implementation & Support, and Operations. The Business Implementation & Support Team is primarily responsible for agent-facing troubleshooting, pre-release UAT, implementation of forms and form rules in various systems, in addition to other tasks. The team works collaboratively with many internal departments, including Legal, Regulatory, Underwriting, Marketing, Actuarial, and IT.
The Manager role involves working on and oversight of multiple tasks with high priority deadlines using system and product knowledge, as well as knowledge of underwriting and agent workflows.
- Supervise a cross functional team accountable for delivering high quality, timely deliverables that allow our customers to complete their work with Nautilus either through updates of underwriting information or various business applications.
- Ensures process, reference documentation, procedures, and metrics are appropriately maintained and reflect current state.
- Supports team work assignments as needed to ensure completion.
- Responsible for maintaining knowledge of all applications supported by this department and their use in the quote to issue processes.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with IT, internal business users, external business users, and vendors as needed.
- This job has supervisory responsibilities. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; and completing performance appraisals. Carries out responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Additional responsibilities as requested by the leader.
The Vice President will underwrite all aspects Representations and Warranties Insurance for Global Financial and Strategic Buyers acquiring North American Targets in most industry segments. Underwriting will occur on deal time and underwriting decisions will be made in a commercial fashion while maintaining underwriting discipline. The Vice President will develop their own “personal brand” among brokers, buyer counsel and buyers in order to win business.
Berkley Transactional is a division of Berkley Professional Liability. Our Mission is to provide creative and customized insurance solutions that enable buyers and sellers in M&A transactions to execute their transactions efficiently and effectively. We provide seamless execution, professional interaction, stable capacity with fair pricing, reliable coverage and professional claims handling. For more information, visit www.BerkleyTransactional.com.
The purpose of the role is to collaborate with and provide support to the Corporate Actuary team across a portfolio of diverse US and international P&C risk.
The first phase is to help consolidate and modernize key pieces of analysis and reporting across the group. This will evolve into more strategic, project-based work to provide targeted solutions to actuarial problems.
The position entails working in a dynamic environment, interacting with management and all insurance functions, including IT & Systems, Actuarial, Claims, Underwriting, Reinsurance, and Finance.
The candidate will be part of the Corporate Actuary team and will apply actuarial and data science to create both regularly-scheduled and project-based deliverables, including:
- Development and deployment of tools, best practices, and templates to help consolidate, standardize and accelerate key analysis and reporting, wherever there are opportunities.
- Perform testing and documentation of actuarial reserving and pricing in collaboration with operating entities and under the guidance of the Corporate Actuary team.
- Participate in discussions to provide observations and recommendations to operating companies from both a commercial and regulatory/actuarial standards perspective.
- Design and implement new management information to extract actionable insights from data.
- Help to manage, maintain, and provide data across multiple platforms and warehouses consistent with corporate data strategy and information sharing protocols.
- Be a resource for new and innovative ideas to continually challenge the status quo.
- Support operating entities with ad-hoc requests for actuarial support.
The Underwriting Director will lead an assigned team within the Underwriting Department to support the company’s business plan goals of profitability, managed growth and enhanced competitive advantage and to ensure that professional and prompt underwriting service is provided to customers.
- Recruits, trains, challenges, motivates and mentors underwriting staff to assure excellence in customer service, quality, profitability and productivity. Leads and utilizes team meetings to share information and solicit input from staff. Serves as technical underwriting resource to team.
- Provides product development support and research, workflow efficiencies, and best practices for the Underwriting Department.
- Helps the underwriting team assess new and renewal middle-market food and commercial agribusiness insurance risks and determines accurate classification of business, policy contract forms and pricing of risk through referrals per Letters of Authority.
- Works within broad limits and authority on commercial underwriting accounts of significant size or high technical complexity.
- Monitors and analyzes underwriting production metrics including but not limited to loss experience, agency performance, identifying trends and analyzing competitive marketing data.
- Collaborates closely with other functional areas of Business Development, Risk Control, Claims and IT to accomplish goals and projects that will help build and maintain a profitable book of business.
Internship and Development Program
Carolina Casualty’s internship program immerses you in transportation insurance business, provides you with the opportunity to showcase and hone your skills, enhances your business knowledge and professional growth, encourages networking and offers assignments/projects in specific areas of study.
Carolina Casualty seeks creative, curious, innovative and entrepreneurial candidates for its internship and development program. The selected candidates will work hand-in-hand with the company’s senior leaders across a wide range insurance operations, claims and underwriting initiatives.
Qualified internship candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Registered undergraduate student pursuing a major in risk management/insurance, law, business, actuarial science or related studies.
- Cumulativegrade point average of 3.5 or higher.
- Participation in extracurricular and leadership activities.
- Commitment to the duration of the ten week internship program.
- Unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.
- Must be available to work onsite at the Jacksonville, Florida office.
The Assistant Underwriter will own and manage administrative and support details necessary to ensure the accurate and timely processing of endorsements, new business, and renewals. Contribute to company profit objectives by making decisions regarding new business / renewal acceptability and changes to policies according to assigned authority. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist underwriters and peers in tasks necessary to help the team meet service standards. Take ownership of assigned tasks with a goal of a single touch. Resolve questions or problems in the most efficient and effective way possible.
- Use and support on-line rating of new business. Approve or reject new business rules, as provided by assigned authority.
- Set up new business files with underwriting guide hazard grades, loss indication, driver and loss information, building age, square footage, thoughts on new business rules, etc. Request missing information and set suspense for receipt. Issue per service standards.
- Provide rush quoting, when needed.
- Communicate and interact with agents. Be the first point of contact on service issues, billing questions, etc. Assist with questions about appetite. Provide problem resolution.
- Review and request issuance of renewals, subject to authority levels. Refer renewals over assigned authority. Push as many renewals as possible / eligible into the computer renewal process.
- Keep informed of loss, growth, and appetite changes. Participate in underwriting meetings. Make underwriting decisions that follow current guidelines and help meet team goals.
- Request updated drivers list per guidelines. Send driver lists to clerks to order MVRs. Handle drivers with violations when in the assigned authority or refer.
- Check Gauge for CAT Mitigation.
- Order Experian and run insurance-to-value reports as requested by the Underwriter.
- Order a current application per guidelines.
- Order Loss Control surveys.
- Help underwriters with requesting filings.
- Combine transactions in file such as loss information that is scanned separately from the application. Merge client-ids when duplicates exist.
- Review renewal applications and make appropriate changes.
- Review premium audit changes and request updates to exposures, as directed.
- Review all incoming correspondence and handle a much as possible before passing up to the Underwriter. Answer questions from the USD.
- Coordinate workflow to ensure service standards are met.
- Handle endorsements within authority when returned from the USD.