- Learn how our business works at all levels of the organization and customer base (internal, policyholders, agents, etc.)
- Participate in planning the user experience for all aspects of our online presence
- Take a leading role in developing our customer portal and future offerings
- Develop and implement projects (research, sketch, code, test, roll out), involving stakeholders across the organization
- Stay on top of trends and new technology - Identify future tools and strategy, and create the business case for adoption and implementation
- Work closely with the IT and Marketing teams to manage timelines, resources and communication strategy
This position will be providing overall requirements gathering, design, development and support of one or more company applications for the various subsidiaries of the corporation.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates a robust understanding of all functional and technical aspects of a system.
- Can produce significant new system functionality or defect resolution with minimal direction.
- Creates design specifications that demonstrate an understanding of most interfacing systems and supported business processes. (can understanding business processes go to the developer/analyst)
- Routinely proposes improvements to a system to improve supportability or usability.
- Can perform adequate peer review on any changes in the system.
- Can be consulted to provide recommendations to solve business issues based on experience and knowledge of current technology.
- Demonstrates solid development processes including code review, documentation, and unit testing.
- May provide rotating on-call support of production systems.
- Ensure high-performing and scalable solutions by proactively monitoring and assessing various performance metrics both pre and post-implementation.
- Provide end user mentoring and training in 1-1 and small group settings.
- Partner with the various subsidiaries to create a vision for future advancement of our applications.
- Travel for this position is approximately 5-10%.
Provides strategic direction and leadership for the Claims function. Proactively participates with the senior management team and functional department staff in developing and executing strategic plans to meet business objectives.
The Underwriting Assistant will provide general operational support to the Department including the processing of policies, endorsements, submissions and other client related correspondence for new and existing accounts.
- Sends requests for additional information (inspection reports, financials, audits)
- Policy creation, binding, and issuance
- Issues notices of cancellation or reinstatement within authority
- Processing of endorsements and related correspondence
- Provides reports upon request
- Responsible for maintaining documentation in all Underwriting files
- Provides backup support for clearance processing
- Other duties as assigned
Union Standard Insurance Group has a great opportunity for a Claims Trainee to join our team and provide prompt, fair and effective claims service for Insureds and claimants through the use of phone and correspondence.
As a Claims Trainee, you will be responsible for the following essential duties:
- The investigation of claims made by Insureds and claimants including but not limited to proper coverage determination, 24-hour contacts, taking of recorded statements.
- Evaluating and negotiating settlements including the denial of claims either not covered or where no liability exists and obtaining proper forms and documents.
- Establishing and maintaining proper reserving throughout the life of the claim file, maintaining appropriate diary schedules of all claims in the care and custody of the adjuster, and evaluating estimates and bills for accuracy and applicability to coverage relating to the type of claims submitted.
- Completing all necessary reporting forms according to procedures on a daily basis. Entry of proper claim reserves, and claim payments. Maintaining in chronological order; appropriate file notes on the system. Initiating subrogation and disposing of salvage according to established procedures.
- Informing the proper Underwriting Department of risk hazards discovered through the investigation of the claim and advising the supervisor immediately of all claims of a severe nature or exceeding settlement authority.
- Directing defense attorneys and independent adjusters on claims in litigation or that require outside assistance and attending mediations and settlement conferences when warranted.
- Assist in training of other personnel as directed and maintain a good working relationship with supervisors, associates, agents and the public.
As a Loss Control Consultant, you will provide loss control consultative support to our branches, agents, and policyholders. Our goal is to provide high quality, cost effective service to our customers which consistently meets or exceeds their expectations, and assists them in minimizing their losses. This role will also act as Technical Consultant to Underwriters in risk selection and renewal decisions as well as assist in the development of innovative, distinctive and cost effective service methods and tools to identify and quantify risk, and reduce losses. Other responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing timely, professional reports and consultative support to our underwriters and other functions, as may be needed to assist in superior risk selection, pricing and retention of profitable business.
- Helping in maintaining targeted loss control files as required by statutory requirements.
- Researching and compiling technical document information as needed to provide consultative services to our customers.
- Distributing loss control technical bulletins as directed by Home Office Loss Control Management.
As a strategic partner, the Assistant Vice President works with the Vice President of Human Resources (VP HR) and Operating Unit Leadership to align and support the VP HR with the execution of the talent strategy and operating unity strategic initiatives. This role works closely with Leadership and Group HR to consult, provide advice and guidance as it relates to talent-related activities including but not limited to: recruitment and selection, staff retention, performance management, talent development, compensation planning and employee relations.
The Assistant Vice President fulfills the primary responsibilities of the role by executing the following duties and tasks:
- Consults and counsels with leaders on performance management, talent development, salary administration, succession planning, recognition, training gaps, employee relations, employee conduct, etc.
- Guides and coaches leaders through actions related to formal disciplinary procedures, jointly determines appropriate course of actions; reviews and provides suggestions for performance improvement plans; and ensures legal compliance with aid of VP HR and/or legal counsel when necessary
- Proactively identifies areas for process improvement, innovation, and opportunities for efficiency and synergy
- Partners with management to improve employee engagement and increase productivity and retention, this includes coordination of community or company events, e.g.
- Confers with leaders to identify staffing needs, job specifications, job duties, qualifications, skills and competencies
- Partners with recruiting on internal and external recruitment efforts for all positions
- Partners with hiring managers to ensure proper department on-boarding tasks including: 30/60/90 day reviews, survey analysis, etc.
- Partners with the hiring manager to ensure required timely completion of new hire I-9’s; and finding alternative sources to complete new hire’s I-9 for off-site/remote/employees. Updating I-9 verifications in HireRight as required.
- Assists in the development and delivery of management and/or employee training sessions related to strategic initiatives, performance management, employee engagement, succession planning, etc.
- Actively researches, creatively designs and implements effective methods to educate, enhance performance and recognize performance; advising and collaborating on the development and administration of recognition programs with Group HR
- May lead or participate in special and/or cross-functional project teams related to Company and/or TCR strategic initiatives
- Identifies, evaluates and resolves employee relations issues such as employee complaints, harassment allegations and civil rights complaints
- Conducts, Analyzes and reports on trends related to employee relations activities; Reviews exit interviews to analyze reasons for separation and to identify trends
- Assists employees with developing personal strategies or action plans related to the workplace, e.g., career development, performance improvement, peer/manager conflict, communication, etc.
- Administers initial and ongoing Visa and Immigration requirements
- Administers one – time – payments in Workday including: Sign On Bonus/Severance/Tuition Reimbursements
- Additional duties as assigned
Berkley One, a wholly owned subsidiary of W. R. Berkley Corporation, is hiring an Operations Analyst in our Wilmington, DE office.
Berkley One exists to insure and protect the lifestyles of a modern generation of affluence. We seek clients that are sophisticated individuals and families who require world-class risk and claims management customized to their needs, a team of select expert independent agents and innovative digital tools to keep it simple and easy. We’ll blend our partners, products and capabilities with all that is Berkley, generating a modern solution for the customers we serve.
About the job
Our culture is one of innovation, creativity and teamwork. Our team is highly motivated, passionate about our business, and deeply experienced in developing and delivering product and service solutions in the personal insurance marketplace.
This role’s primary objective is to support and enable the Customer Solutions team to perform at the most optimal level. Ideal candidates will have experience supporting a successful customer solutions team that delivers world-class service across multiple channels and are energized about helping others drive market growth within an organization.
What you will do
- Workforce Management: effectively forecast staffing requirements focused on short and long-term models. Ensure the appropriate staff is available to handle all interactions through the development of schedules and plans. Includes close partnership with the operation leaders.
- Process Management: develop processes in support of new initiatives and enhancements. Understands the connections, documents steps, engage SME’s, effectively partners across the organization and educates the operation on process enhancements. Enable synchronization among processes across the service operation and organization.
- Continuous Improvement: drive the continuous improvement of processes (optimizations) across the service operation. Maintain incoming ideas, assign them accordingly, prioritize and execute.
- Knowledge Management: build knowledge library from structure to content. Listens to internal customers to determine how to improve their experience with the knowledge management tool and content.
Responsible for performing the analysis required to support the development, maintenance and enhancement of any application used by the company and its business partners. Reviews, analyzes, and evaluates business systems and user needs. Documents requirements, tests system functionality, defines scope and objectives, and formulates systems to support key business processes. Act as a liaison between IT and other business departments.
- Review and analyze project requests to determine impact to existing systems. Translate business requirements into detailed specifications to be used by the IT development staff/external providers.
- Develop, review, analyze, and document all IT systems using information from software developers and network administrators; the documentation produced from this effort serves as a reference for development of IT systems.
- Perform system/user testing as required; analyze and validate testing results.
- Maintain and suggest ways to improve the business processes as reported through the help-desk inquiries.
- Test all software systems developed by IT personnel using automated tools and/or manual methods.
- Provide support and guidance to other IT personnel in business requirements documentation as well as system/user testing.
- Act as a reference and provide support to application users with respect to questions arising from processing.
This is a mid to Senior Claims Examiner role in our General Liability Claims Department. This individual would be responsible for reviewing, processing, investigating, evaluating, negotiating and the settling of assigned property damage or bodily injury claims with the authority level generally up to $50,000.00. This position requires an understanding and knowledge of litigation management in multiple jurisdictions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complete coverage analysis
- Conduct the necessary investigation, either by phone, or through independent adjusters, to determine coverage, liability and damages.
- Evaluate, negotiate, and settle assigned property damage and/or bodily injury claims.
- Obtain all required adjuster licenses within the first year.
Key Risk is looking for an enthusiastic individual who wants to learn account management and technical knowledge of workers compensation claims.
- Interface with Underwriting, Risk Management, and clients in controlling costs and loss ratios
- Conduct investigation of workers' compensation claims assigned
- Handle all technical aspects of claims, including coverage, disability benefit management, medical management, litigation management, file management, subrogation, reserving and settlement
- Maintain and demonstrate knowledge of the Workers' Compensation Act and Rules and Regulations in jurisdictions assigned
- Immediately notify management of large exposures and comply with reinsurance reporting requirement
- Monitor expenses and effectiveness of inside/outside vendors
- Assume full responsibility for all phases of account management for accounts as assigned and inform management of any unfavorable trends
- Actively work with mentor in monitoring loss ratio for accounts assigned
- Participate in client meetings for training on claims issues and assist with claims service meetings for new accounts as requested
The Senior Quality Assurance Engineer’s role is to help develop and establish quality assurance consistencies, standards and measures for the Quality Assurance department within the IT organization. As a Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer, they will be responsible for ensuring quality throughout the SDLC and performing systematic software testing across all product lines. The candidate will lead quality efforts around defining test approach and writing/executing test cases for all applicable test levels. They will be responsible for reporting and tracking defects to resolution. The chosen candidate will be involved in the full SDLC from requirement reviews through release and post live validation, and will document all required quality artifacts.
- Lead the collaboration with other QA engineers, business analysts, product owners, architects, and software engineers to understand technical system requirements, business use cases, and application performance considerations
- Identify and create test cases to cover release acceptance criteria including coverage for business rules for each product line
- Analyze and identify quality gaps in the full SDLC and help drive the implementation of process improvements within those areas
- Lead team members in defining, developing, and implementing quality assurance practices and procedures working with management
- Lead the design implementation, execution, and debug/maintenance of both manual test cases and automated test scripts using industry standard testing techniques and tools
- Perform root cause analysis of production issues to identify cause and implement corrective action going forward
- Implement corrective actions related to Prod issues for the QA team’s area of responsibility
- Identify test data needs and manage setup of test data in the test environments as needed during the test cycle and to reproduce production issues
- Perform system wide data flow validation while performing functional, integration and end to end testing
- Ensures data integrity for front and back end systems
- Execute positive, negative, and edge case test cases, guide/assist other QA team members as needed on completing test cases
- Create bug reports and communicate issues with development and other stakeholders
- Track product defects found during testing and provide a quality assessment with metrics to business stakeholders and management
- Verify resolved defects in each release by performing manual and automated testing
- Assists all team members with troubleshooting the root cause for any given problem, follows up to full resolution
- Ensure all audit requirements are met related to QA & testing activities
- Mentors team members on product knowledge and business rules as well as best practices within the QA discipline
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organization skills, detail orientated
- Expertise in reading, interpreting and creating application code / test scripts in multiple languages
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at the same time; strong time management
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in written form
- Able to troubleshoot issues from multiple sources to arrive at a clear understanding of a functional issue within individual applications, databases and all integrated applications
- Must be flexible and thrive in a fast paced, quickly changing environment
- Able to prioritize tasks and manage time across multiple projects to achieve on-time deadlines
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Must be highly skilled in implementing quality practices within an Agile environment with knowledge of continuous integration and deployments
- Ability to foster teamwork and embrace change
- Be the “Go to” team member for QA that is always up for a new challenge who possess a positive attitude and offers solutions not complaints for any process/technical gaps that are discovered
Key Risk is looking for an enthusiastic and experienced underwriter to join our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for contributing to achieving and exceeding the regions’ profit plan through proper risk selection, agency management, and communication of Key Risk’s value proposition.
- Underwrites accounts up to $750,000 annual premium
- Manage a book of business $5,000,000 to $7,000,000
- Develops and maintains relationships with 10-15 agencies
- Responsible for a moderate number of agencies including partners with Advantage and/or Premier status within our Key Alliance agency structure
- Achieves/exceeds planned accident year loss ratio, rate change, renewal retention and inforce premium goals
- Takes initiative to recommend potential improvements in underwriting principles, techniques or appetite
- Complies with insurance filings and regulatory requirements
- Research new market niches, serve as an industry lead, and participate in special projects
- Establishes a knowledge base of agency needs, staff, target markets, and contracted insurers
- Performs agency evaluations and establishes agency goals within required time frames and expectations
- Participates effectively in new and renewal team sales activities and Client Service Management (CSM) meetings to obtain and retain profitable business
The purpose of the position is to bring both industry and legal technical expertise in the management of our largest and/or most complex claim matters. This will be a safeguarding / oversight role, working closely with the respective claim offices. Provide technical and strategic guidance for high exposure and complex claims, including coverage and/or bad faith litigation, being managed by in-house claim departments of multiple operating units. Assure that exposures are timely recognized, resolution plans are well formulated and executed. Effectively communicate with external business partners as well as colleagues in underwriting, actuarial and executive management.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Superior knowledge of all technical aspects of claims handling/management including investigation, coverage analysis, litigation management, evaluation, reserving and negotiation
- Inform other functional departments (underwriting, actuarial, finance)of positive/negative conditions noted during investigations which may impact company results
- Engage with reinsurance partners on claim issues and industry trends
- Drive favorable loss cost results by influencing, planning and guidance on individual claims.
- Provides ongoing analysis of technical material (i.e. case law, regulations) to determine the impact on claim operations and provides the necessary guidance and assistance to the claim office(s).
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as a mentor in the training and development of less experienced staff when necessary
- Strong interpersonal communication, presentation, consultative, and negotiation skills
- Work professionally and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Provide input and guidance on individual claim matters
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrate good organization (detail oriented) and prioritization skills; meet deadlines, multitask
- Demonstrate sound judgment; strong decision making and problem solving skills
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically is required
This two year internship opportunity provides experience in underwriting support services and exposure to underwriting. As a part of the internship, you will work with our Underwriting Services team learning about our Express Rate product. The duties will include:
- Processing applications through our online rating system will be the primary duty during the course of the internship. This will include working closely with our staff to ensure a quality product is delivered to our customers.
- Orientation to underwriting preparation: This will include exposure to industry specific resources such as proprietary rating programs, ReferenceConnect, AM Best, UW Workbench, Marshall Swift & Boeckh, Agency Portal, etc.
- Exposure to development opportunities (both industry specific and personal development) to include but not limited to Insurance self-study courses, online tutorials, etc.
Your second year experience will include:
- Continued work processing applications through our online rating system and providing feedback to 1st year interns on their application processing work. A key component of your second year will be working with the incoming class to assist them in learning the skills necessary for the internship program.
- Shadowing an Underwriter and learning more about the underwriting thought process.
- An opportunity to take an additional online CIC course outside the UACIC criteria.
- Shadowing Loss Control on visits, participating in agency visits, and exposure to regular business meetings.
- Exposure to the Regional Vice President and discussions on the operations of a Property & Casualty Insurance Carrier.
Do you want to be part of a dynamic and growing organization that encourages creativity, collaboration, innovation and individual expression? Are you an insurance professional who wants to think “outside the box” in creating products, underwriting and servicing customers? Berkley Mid - Atlantic is a dynamic company where, everyone’s voice counts and we expect to hear from everyone. If you want to work in a unique insurance company like no other, come explore career options with us.
- Gather appropriate information to profitably underwrite a variety of Middle Market commercial risks.
- Research, formulate and implement solutions for complex issues and accounts.
- Determine final coverages and pricing for commercial risks within assigned authority level.
- Review claims and loss information on individual risks. Use this information to identify and re-evaluate accounts and develop strategy for dealing with exposures and frequency issues.
- Take a lead role relative to Key Account review and recommendations.
- Take ownership of your underwriting territory through strong book management skills.
- Work to develop and maintain agency relationships with a focus on long-term profitability and growth.
- Work in collaboration with Loss Control partners to focus on controlling exposures and maintaining controls. Join Loss Control on visits with individual accounts.
- Maintain established quality and service standards.
- Establish strong working relationships with key producers.
- Mentor less experienced underwriters and serve as a resource for others within the department as needed.
- Successfully build, manage and execute a New Business Pipeline.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Keeps abreast of industry developments, particularly those which impact his or her area(s) of responsibility.
- Understands Berkley Mid-Atlantic’s business and the factors that affect its success.
- Communicates regularly and effectively.
This role is responsible for performing premium billing and cash receipts activities, collections, and collateral administration. Also, will perform various general ledger activities including journal entries, reconciliations and account analyses. Conduct Premium audits and control testing and reporting.
- Support agency and direct billing of premiums, commission payments and deductible
- Monitor payment, perform collections, apply cash receipts, reconcile agent statements, etc.
- Execute premium audits and correspond with insureds and producers
- Maintain and reconcile general ledger accounts
- Prepare journal entries and financial statement account analyses
- Collaborate and coordinate with underwriters, W.R. Berkley Company employees, auditors, agents and others as needed
- Support SOX controls testing and reporting
- Perform other duties and/or projects as assigned
The Claims Superintendent will be responsible for determining and discharging the company's contractual obligations under its various policy contracts involving coverage analysis, investigation, legal defense, and loss and expense reserving.
- Incorporate all claims into company records and review for applicability of coverage.
- Present facts of claims, with recommendations, to committee as necessary.
- Establish initial loss and expense reserves. Maintain valid loss and expense reserves based on current investigation and legal discovery.
- Supervise activities of Independent Adjusters, investigators and defense attorneys to ensure that all claims are appropriately handled.
- Attend and participate in mediations/trials as necessary.
- Adhere to company procedures and guidelines as well as case law and statutory
- requirements when coverage is in question, and/or when paying or denying claims.
- Comply with reporting requirements of treaty and facultative reinsurers.
- Maintain current understanding of various unfair claim practices statutes.
- Prepare large loss reports where applicable.
- Additional tasks as assigned.
We are seeking a proven insurance leader with deep knowledge of commercial lines, data strategy, analytics and state of the art data science technology for our Head of Analytics role. This position offers the opportunity to build a data driven decision making culture and to define strategy for use of both basic and advanced analytics including artificial intelligence (machine learning and deep learning) to produce quality analytics and predictive modeling to support decisions and further WRBC goals. The preferred location is in Greenwich, CT but will consider locations in the tri-state area.
- Organize and lead analytics center of excellence.
- Participate in a data council to provide insight and input to the WRBC data strategy.
- Set annual project plan based on input from Segment heads and Operating Units. Projects focus on enhancing profitability and business functions (e.g., claims, pricing, risk selection, premium audit selection, submission triage) but also may be exploratory to answer business questions.
- Develop individual project plans, timetables and deliverables. With IT and Business (including actuarial) ensure that plan addresses data collection, model iteration, validation and operationalizing both model and model results. Regularly communicate project status vs plan.
- Keep a log/catalogue of projects, code and models so that knowledge can be shared.
- Work with Business and IT to ensure that Big Data (Hadoop) platform is appropriately structured, accessed, protected and utilized. Follow procedures established.
- Establish best practices for model use and validation as well as for basic analytics for business intelligence purposes.
- Work with Business and IT to: expand availability and use of internal data (both structured and unstructured); develop strategy for data access for analysis and leverage data across WRBC; and facilitate the evolution of self service data preparation and analytics. Contribute to decisions made about information value, quality and reliability.
- Work with Business and IT to expand availability and use of external data (both structured and unstructured). Participate in research on data available from external sources and support efforts to acquire and make usable.
- Keep abreast of latest machine and deep learning tools, methodologies and data sets (open source and proprietary). Test and evaluate.
- Provide input and counsel to operating units. Provide quality control via peer review Operating Unit models and algorithms, etc.
- Provide regular forums for sharing of information (e.g., analytics forums and showcases). Provide training as needed for actuaries and citizen data scientists on R and other tools.
- Build team of data scientists, wranglers, munchers, etc. either at corporate or in shared service areas. Define job roles, recruit candidates and then manage directly or indirectly team of data science professionals.
The Chief Underwriting Officer (CUO) is the senior executive responsible for the underwriting strategy of the Company. Reporting to the President, and working with both Field and Staff functional areas, the CUO designs, implements, and monitors the underwriting activities for all four of the Company’s customer segments: Construction, Specialty Casualty (Manufacturing, Products) and Professional Liability.
Among other responsibilities, the Chief Underwriting Officer oversees:
• New Product Development and product lifecycle maintenance:
• Develop and implement best practices
• Vetting new-product ideas from both internal and external sources
• Underwriting appetite, guidelines, forms, forms usage, terms and conditions, training, and communications
• Underwriting Liaison with IT, Operations, Actuary, Finance, Marketing and Claims
• Implementation, performance monitoring and feedback loop
• Creation and maintenance of Underwriting Guidelines for all customer segments
• Quality and Compliance, including peer reviews, monthly management reviews, coordination of WRBC reviews, and development and implementation of automation support for the underwriting audit process
Referrals – highest-level underwriting authority for all four market segments, exercising sound judgment in risk selection, exposure analysis, pricing and coverage in evaluating and approving or rejecting individual-risk submissions from the field organization
• Training – the CUO will design and implement underwriting training programs to ensure that field underwriting staff perform at the highest skill levels
• Support Vela’s Field Management Team with their risk-selection strategies at both product-line and territorial levels
• Underwriting Analysis of the Programs (Books) - Monitor and analyze underwriting performance and results for desired underwriting outcomes, including heavy collaboration with Finance, Actuarial and IT
• Regulatory Issues - support, and coordinate with, Finance and Operations
• Develop and/or strengthen interdepartmental relationships with:
• Other disciplines
• Other WRBC member companies.
• Monitor and communicate emerging underwriting Issues that are relevant to Vela's current and future planned strategies, programs and processes.
• Leading Change
• Change Management
• Underwriting Culture Change