Click column header to sort
We are looking to hire an Premium Accounts assistant that will handle the premium payment reconciliation for the Houston Office. This position will be temporary with the tentative period of 6 – 12 months from date of hire. Hours can be flexible based on schedule.
Duties include: Managing the discrepancies between premium paid and premium booked, following up on outstanding premiums, corresponding with the accounting team on Houston’s cash application, performing physical file destruction.
- Managing the Unapplied Cash Spreadsheet
- Researching discrepancies between premium paid and premium booked.
- Researching past due amounts and following up with Brokers on status of payments.
- Update Agent’s Balance Spreadsheet for Houston.
- Verifying that documents from old files are saved electronically in order to destroy the physical files.
The information security analyst will work as an integral component of the company’s Application Security team. The incumbent will focus on application penetration tests, automated ethical hacking, and static source code analysis within the SDLC. The candidate will be accountable for establishing consensus with stakeholders to reduce cyber risks while minimizing broader operational impact.
This position will be providing overall requirements gathering, design, development and support of one or more company applications for the various subsidiaries of the corporation.
This position will be providing support of one or more applications to various member companies of the corporation. The position will involve developing, implementing, and supporting technical solutions for customers.
Senior Risk Advisor, you would be responsible for analyzing losses to identify trends at individual businesses or within industries. This role will develop service plans for insured’s to eliminate or control causes of injury frequency and severity, safety management program deficiencies, manager/supervisor training and safety/regulatory program development. Communication is key as it will work closely with internal departments issues that pertain to risk assessment and selection and provide telephone consultation to insured’s on a variety of workers’ compensation risk management issues. The selected individual must be self-motivated and disciplined to work with minimal supervision to coordinate schedule, confirm meetings, and develop safety materials to educate, inform and motivate customer management. The Senior Risk Advisor is expected to exhibit a level of expertise in their area of responsibility, consistently exercising good judgment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Support the underwriting process by identifying and describing risks and controls for various industries to underwriter.
- Assist with the education of underwriting and claims personnel to expand their knowledge of industry operations, loss sources and control mechanisms.
- Provide consultation to customers on a variety of workers’ compensation risk management topics.
- Analyze and interpret customer injury trends, then develop and implement service plans that improve the quality of the customer’s safety program.
- Confirm customer safety and health service visits, and follow-up on recommendations for completion.
- Create safety programs and materials for specific industries addressing actual/potential loss trends.
- Various safety and health duties as assigned.
The Receptionist/Administrative Assistant is the initial point of contact for the Chicago, IL W.R. Berkley location. The individual who is in this role is responsible for providing receptionist duties to all Berkley Companies that are housed in the Chicago location. When it comes to knowing on a day-to-day basis all activities going on in our location this is critical when it comes to telephone enquiries, welcome visitors and undertake administrative duties in an efficient, effective and professional manner.
- Receive and screen incoming calls promptly and professionally, direct the caller to the appropriate person and take messages as necessary.
- Must be able to handle a heavy call load on a multi-line phone system. Attendance and punctuality must be kept at an acceptable level.
- Greet and direct incoming visitor traffic.
- Must be able to maintain phone listings for all Berkley employees and accessing them
- Able to work M-F, 7:50am-5pm.
- Set up conference calls and schedule meetings in conference rooms.
- Coordinating with vendors and services i.e. Fedex for new and existing customers.
- Maintain incoming check log.
- Responsible for confidential and time sensitive material.
- Process incoming and outgoing mail and packages.
- Stock and maintain supply and break rooms.
- Order supplies
- Assist with company events.
- Assist with labels, scanning and filing.
- Other duties as assigned
The Project Manager role manages key stakeholder projects. Project management responsibilities include the coordination and completion of projects on time within budget and within scope. Oversee all aspects of projects. Set deadlines, assign responsibilities and monitor and summarize progress of project. Prepare reports for upper management regarding status of project.
The Business Transformation Analyst provides strategic business analysis to address current business problems to include identifying solutions, process improvements, business transformation and/or system changes or additions. This role would also assist in the analysis of potential new business opportunities. The Business Tranformation Analyst role will partner with project owners of each system to ensure enhancement projects and ongoing maintenance projects are completed in a timely manner. This role will also assist project owners with creating business requirements for system enhancements.
- When needed, meet with assigned project stakeholders to perform an initial assessment of problematic situations or new business opportunities.
- Perform root cause analysis on business issues to identify weakness and problems.
- Facilitate brainstorming sessions to review solution options that will address root cause issues.
- Compile recommendations/solutions with attention to desires, capabilities and limitations.
- Present findings and recommendations with detail support and documentation.
- Assist business partners with business case creation and summarize what/if scenarios to assist in stakeholder agreement.
- Outline recommended options for solutions or implementations with detailed data and documentation.
- Determine impacts on enterprise-wide basis for resources, systems and/or processes.
- Assess the effectiveness of changes to include tracking costs and the overall benefits of these changes.
- Partner with appropriate resources to help outline ROI for proposed initiatives and/or projects.
- Work collaboratively internally and with partners to deliver chosen solution(s).
- Ensure continued alignment for all initiatives and projects with the strategic goals outlined by organization.
- Serve as a liaison between IT/BTS and business to facilitate understanding of intent.
- Monitor status of enhancement projects with clear communication to business partners.
This position will provide processing and technical support to the Underwriting Department. This position will be assessed based on productivity, accuracy and thoroughness, and ability to learn and apply new skills.
- Multi-line rating
- Issuance of multi-line quotes and policies
- Issue bind confirmations for new and renewal policies
- Process policy changes which include endorsements, cancellations, non-renewals, and reinstatements
- Resolve problems relating to processing and eliminate delays
- Inspection ordering and recommendation letters
- Responding to agent’s and insured’s requests for loss runs and copies of forms/endorsements.
- Reinsurance entries and cargo filings.
- Assist with submission and transaction set ups
- Assisting in the quality control /peer review process for the Underwriting Services team.
The Director Business Intelligence / Data Architect will work closely with the business units, end users, system designers, and developers to develop database solutions to support the goals of the organization which is using data intelligence to help drive profitability and results for the company.
Information Technology Duties
- Collaborate with IT teams and management to devise a data strategy that addresses business requirements
- Identify and evaluate current data management technologies
- Determine database structural requirements by analyzing business operations and applications
- Develop database solutions for both operational and analytical systems.
- Create logical and physical data models to support IT applications and work with the DBA to implement physical database structures based on those models.
- Develop and implement data governance program and maintain the data dictionary for the organization.
- Develop strategies for data acquisition and data archiving
- Development and implementation of data standards
- Insure documentation is complete and up to date
- Special projects as assigned.
The Claims Examiner Trainee, is the first working professional level of claims handling. Under close supervision, the Claims Examiner Trainee will receive in depth training of department objectives, and workers’ compensation laws to be able to administer basic claim benefits. The training will consist of learning to handle simple medical only claims to handling complex medical only claims, involving non-litigated, minimal lost time, soft tissue type injuries. Other items handled include strain/sprain injuries due to repetitive motion and minor indemnity disability claims. The Claims Examiner Trainee will ultimately be able to determine compensability and handle uncomplicated claims issues on assigned claims. Claims handling activities will be performed in compliance with the rules, regulations and statutes of the WCAB and the State of California.
- Provide customer service – answer telephones by the third ring and re-direct callers as necessary to properly respond to customer inquiries.
- Complete three-point contact to properly investigate assigned claims, evaluate coverage and determine compensability.
- Calculates and assigns timely and appropriate reserves to claims and continues to manage reserve adequacy throughout the life of the claim.
- Develops and manages claims through well-developed action plans; continues to work the action plan to bring the claim to an appropriate and timely resolution.
- Negotiate outstanding liens on settled claims.
- Complete assigned work via diaries and work queues in a timely manner.
- Appropriately initiate QME and Voucher process for unrepresented claims.
- Perform other duties as requested by manager.
- Investigation (Measured through the timeliness and quality of 3 point contacts and addressing of such issues as coverage, compensability, delay and/or denial of claim, subrogation, contribution, apportionment.)
- Reserving (Measured through timely establishment and/or amendment of reserves using the philosophy of “most likely outcome.”)
- File Management (Measured through the establishment, documentation, and execution of action plans.)
- Medical Management (Measured through collaborative effort with the Medical Management Unit.)
- Procedures (Measured through timely and accurate State filings, payment of bills, and appropriate coding.)
The Quality Assurance Analyst’s role will work in the in the Guidewire space as part of the ClaimCenter Center of Excellence for the E&S Segment of companies. The individual must have experience in designing and executing test plans, and test cases/scripts from scratch. Ability to focus on the micro and the macro and identify process gaps and escalate. Should have prior experience working with project tools like JIRA, confluence and SharePoint. Will create and run reports, metrics and dashboards. Experience and knowledge of QA Best Practices. Experience working with defect tracking and test management tools. Ability to work closely with design and business team to get clarification on requirements. Can work and make decisions independently when required. Strong Communication skills, written and verbal.
The Vice President and Senior Counsel will be an active member of W. R. Berkley Corporation’s management teams for its Global Reinsurance Segment and its group-wide ceded reinsurance function, participating in the development of corporate policies, procedures and programs, and giving continual legal counsel to business colleagues and senior management, including to Berkley Insurance Company’s international branches. The successful candidate will be a business-savvy leader capable of aligning the law department function with the operational goals of the Company, and providing critical support and legal advice to the Company’s reinsurance operations. The attorney will skillfully represent the Company when dealing with outside counsel, as well as domestic and international regulatory and licensing agencies.
Some of the key points which make this opportunity attractive include:
- Counsel and advise business clients on the reinsurance operations of a multi-billion dollar S&P and Fortune 500 corporation recognized as an industry leader, positioned for continued growth.
- Work directly with W. R. Berkley’s General Counsel and in partnership with one of the most sophisticated teams of business executives, lawyers and compliance professionals in the country.
- Work for a company whose leaders pride themselves on integrity, the culture for their employees and a reputation of relationships built on trust and respect with customers and government regulators.
- Provide legal and regulatory support to global reinsurance operations, including locations in the US, UK, Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, Labuan, Australia and Latin America.
- Hold legal and regulatory responsibility for W. R. Berkley Corporation’s reinsurance transactions and disputes, as well as related regulatory and corporate matters. Work directly with domestic and foreign treaty and facultative reinsurance units. Support the Company’s ceded reinsurance function at the group level, including assisting with internal and external reinsurance structures and wordings.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key regulators, including with Berkley Insurance Company’s international regulators.
- Provide counsel for reinsurance operations, including business and regulatory issues, product development, and managing outside counsel.
- Work closely and proactively with senior management, providing legal counsel and guidance for both the ordinary and special activities of the Company to ensure maximum protection of its legal rights and to maintain its operations within the limits prescribed by law.
- Advise on and draft treaty wording and other documentation in collaboration with business colleagues to accomplish stated business objectives while protecting the Company’s legal position.
- Provide litigation and arbitration analysis, formulate dispute resolution strategies and select, manage and evaluate outside counsel, as needed, for reinsurance matters.
Accepts, retains and prices moderate to high exposure commercial property and casualty insurance accounts in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level. Manages assigned territory to achieve profitable growth objectives by properly classifying and pricing risks; building strong internal and external business relationships; analyzing competitive marketing data, identifying territory needs; and developing, implementing and monitoring action plans as appropriate. Serves as an underwriting resource by providing knowledge and insight to underwriting staff.
- Reviews renewal accounts by examining business operations, classification, contract forms and loss activity. Determines if account is an acceptable risk or if it will be non-renewed. Determines price in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level. Reviews endorsement requests exceeding Underwriter and/or Underwriting Assistant’s authority level and takes appropriate procedural action.
- Assesses new commercial insurance risks and determines accurate classification of business, policy contract forms and pricing of risk. Works within broad limits and authority on commercial underwriting accounts of moderate to high exposure. Evaluates MVRs, financial reports, loss control reports, etc. Accepts and prices risk in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level.
- Develops, expands and/or enhances agency relationships to promote profitability and growth of new business and the retention of existing business. Travels assigned territory and meets with agents to enhance business relationships. Educates agency staff on Company’s pricing and risk selection philosophy. Participates in the agency management process. Assesses the strengths and weaknesses of agencies and assists them in achieving the mutual goal of sustained profitable growth.
- Works in partnership with regional Business Development staff to identify new business opportunities from the agency force to assess, quote, inspect and accept. Collaborates to classify agencies within established marketing segments; analyze territory’s mix of business, production, and loss experience; establish agencies’ annual premium goals; and conduct quarterly and annual review of agencies’ profit and growth results.
- Effectively manages assigned territory to achieve established profitability, growth and retention goals. Analyzes agency results and competitive marketing data to identify trends and opportunities. Develops, implements and monitors action plans as appropriate. Monitors and reports on material changes within the territory’s legal environment. Reviews industry periodicals and journals, legislative actions and court decisions to develop a broader industry awareness and understanding of competition within the territory.
- Serves as underwriting resource to underwriting staff and agents regarding products, coverages and rating procedures. Provides professional development knowledge and guidance to Underwriter Trainees, Underwriters, Underwriting Assistants and other functional areas.
The Recruiter will contribute to the organization by executing the duties and tasks associated with the full life cycle of recruiting including sourcing, screening, recommending candidates for positions at all levels, negotiating offer terms and onboarding new hires across multiple operating units. Proactively and creatively source candidates for current and future positions in order to build diverse candidate pools. The recruiter owns and drives the end to end recruiting process leveraging our ATS to deliver an efficient and effective process to business partners.
- Collaborates with the Vice President of Human Resources (VP HR), Hiring Manager and other internal stakeholders to build a recruiting plan to attract top talent including job postings, job descriptions, market intelligence, recruiting outsources and outlets leveraging the ATS
- Delivers overall candidate experience as created by VP Talent Management including responding to candidate inquiries, application status requests and other requests for information
- Ensures candidates’ experiences and interactions reflects each operating unit’s culture and performance expectations
- Tracks and reports on recruiting metrics. Meet or exceed key performance indicators and service level agreements including but not limited to time to fill, cost to fill, interview-to-hire ratio
- Proactively sources, identifies and engages passive candidates to build and maintain a quality and diverse pipeline to build the prospective talent pool
- Engages external recruiters within corporate guidelines
- Designs, builds and implements innovative recruitment programs such as internships, college recruiting and employee referral bonus programs
- Sources candidates through standard and creative platform including social media, internet sourcing, job boards, outreach, employee referrals, industry group meetings and attendance at other business functions and in collaboration with Operating Units supported
- Screens candidates as appropriate including resume review, in-depth phone screens which result in recommendations to the Operating Unit HR and/or Hiring Manager regarding possible next steps
- Prepare and provide interview guides and provide coaching to hiring managers on interview process and gather interview evaluations based on key competencies of the position
- Coordinates interviews and follow up debrief conversations with Hiring Manager and VP HR which lead to decisions about offers
- Coordinates, and sometimes extends and negotiates at the direction of the operating unit, offers of employment including compensation packages, relocation packages where applicable, and other aspects of employment at Berkley
- Collaborates with VP HR on rescission of offer
- Tracks candidate activity to ensure that all pre-hire actions are complete in a timely manner (such as completed application, etc.)
- Ensures all offers and candidate communication meet or exceed federal, state and local laws or local country laws if outside the United States
- Identify and implement alternative staffing solutions as needed
- Coordinate and support execution of employment contracts in foreign jurisdictions
- Reviews and evaluates restrictive covenants and refer to Berkley Legal if necessary. Informs hiring manager and VP HR of restrictions and any actions recommended by Berkley Legal. Communicate any actions to candidate
- Conducts initial vetting of visa and immigration requirements and refers to hiring manager and VP HR for further action
- Orders background checks and drug screens through ATS and resolves any issues or unfavorable outcomes
- Orders I-9 for operating unit completion; collaborates with VP HR/hiring manager to complete
- Generates welcome letter to candidate with logistics for Day 1, info about completing I-9, etc.
- Communicates to non-selected candidates and enters them as appropriate into pipeline for future opportunities
- Investigates labor and employment market conditions. Shares information with colleagues, hiring managers, HRVP’s and others
- Recommends topical content to L&D that would support development of interviewing and hiring skills of managers
- Proactively identify areas for process improvement, innovation and opportunities for efficiency and synergy
- Additional duties as assigned
Manage an assigned underwriting territory to achieve profitable growth, including underwriting new business, renewals, endorsements and other transactions. Identify new business opportunities and manage agency relationships.
- Develop relationships and educate agents within agency plant to maximize opportunities and achieve profitable growth.
- Initiate outbound calls to agencies to identify sales opportunities and collect agent intelligence.
- Achieve new business premium, renewal premium retention and rate change objectives.
- Within company guidelines and granted underwriting authority, evaluate new and renewal account information to determine risk acceptability, terms / conditions to be quoted, and pricing.
- Make sound risk and pricing decisions that achieve profitable loss ratios.
- Maintain underwriting quality score of 90% or greater. Document underwriting file to support acceptability and pricing in accordance with company guidelines.
- Achieve customer service standards, including established objectives for:
- New business quote turnaround
- Renewal quotes
- Endorsement, cancellation, audits and other transactions
- Policy issuance
- Provide detailed issuance instructions to ensure policy is delivered consistent with quoted terms and conditions and in accordance with established guidelines relative to policy construction.
- Review mid-term endorsement requests for acceptability and provide instructions for processing.
- Evaluate premium audit referrals to determine class acceptability and/or appropriateness of current exposure base. Adjust current term with acceptable changes to ensure company gets timely payment of adequate premium.
- Order and review inspections to confirm accounts written are consistent with preliminary underwriting information and takes action when the inspection reveals unacceptable risk characteristics.
- Assist with training, mentoring and coaching of less experienced team members.
- Determine if facultative reinsurance is needed and if so, factor reinsurance cost in gross pricing, complete cession procedures; documentation file, and follow established workflow procedure to ensure proper reporting / accounting.
- Utilize various underwriting tools to:
- Determine acceptable risk characteristics
- Determine accurate exposure classifications
- Set adequate property limits to accomplish appropriate insurance to value
- Rate and quote business to agents
- Support other underwriters as assigned when the other underwriter is traveling or out on vacation / sick time.
The Senior Underwriter will manage existing broker and client relationships and will develop new broker and client relationships, by working closely with the Actuarial, Claims, and Underwriting teams to understand and achieve profitability targets.
The ideal candidate will also analyze risk, exposure, loss and coverage information for group and individual risk accounts to structure and price programs that are financially efficient for the insured and profitable for the company, and will Identify and utilize data-driven analyses to drive marketing efforts relative to customer acquisition and retention.
- Review new and renewal submissions for completeness and address any discrepancies with the broker.
- Organize and aggregate loss and exposure information and input into pricing models.
- Analyze and interpret risk data and complete an underwriting workbook for each eligible risk.
- Work with actuarial to understand the key components of the pricing models.
- Establish and maintain broker relationships though superior levels of service and direct broker engagement.
- Attend industry client centric events
- Assist with the development of new products, services, process improvements, and marketing initiatives
- Independently make sales calls to brokers and clients, and when necessary, coordinate with Executive, Underwriting, and Claims.
- Manage ad hoc projects as required.
Berkley Prime Transportation is looking for an insurance professional who enjoys underwriting to join our creative, collaborative and hard-working team. The successful candidate will be responsible for helping start up an organization poised to achieve and exceed profitability goals through proper risk selection and account management by utilizing data and analytics.
- Review new and renewal commercial insurance risks and determine accurate classification of business, policy contract forms and pricing of risk; review and act upon pertinent risk information such as loss control reports, motor vehicle reports (MVRs), loss runs and financial statements
- Responsible for book management of an assigned agency territory, including achieving predetermined premium goals and profitability objectives, conducting audits on agency business, effectively communicating the company underwriting philosophy and assuring compliance of underwriting best practices
- Cultivate effective agency relationships; conduct agency visits, communicate expectations and make recommendations for agency action(s) when appropriate
- Provide guidance to Assistant Underwriters in technical matters of underwriting including, but not limited to, such procedures as coverages, cancellations, exclusions, endorsements and non-renewal action
- Assist in developing new products, coverage enhancements, and procedures that drive production and processing efficiency
Designs, modifies, develops, and implements software components to support application programs and systems owned by the IT team.