Primary role is to support pricing, reserving, and research projects requested by supervisor. Analysts are expected to develop proficiencies in completing standard analyses, while also taking part in more advanced analyses as needed.
- Work with colleagues (actuaries, underwriters, others) to identify profit opportunities and respond to business needs
- Help quarterly reserving analysis and process
- Help price large accounts
- Help with Rate Filing
- Inventory and manage data related to Pricing and Reserving
- Manage workflow proactively
- Take ownership and responsibility for quality, accuracy and timely completion of analysis
The Underwriting Manager is a seasoned underwriting professional who has the years of experience and knowledge to exercise independent judgment to arrive at assigned sales and profitability targets. In this role, you will collaborate with Regional Sales Managers to efficiently quote, negotiate, and sell target business with assigned producers. Berkley Underwriting Managers are expected to conduct both financial and clinical analysis and develop contingencies as require.
Stop Loss Underwriting Manager Essential duties include:
- Assess daily workflow and determine daily priorities working with a team of Regional Sales Managers to ensure deadlines are met
- Travel with Regional Sales managers to meet with producers
- Collaborate with Regional Sales Managers to achieve assigned financial targets
- Composes, prepares, and generates correspondence, proposals, and reports as needed or required
- Conduct clinical risk evaluations utilizing available resources
- Have the ability to analyze risk and make pricing recommendations
- Evaluate and propose pricing on Stop Loss business within stated authority limits
- Review Applications, Policies, Plan Documents/Amendments, and proposal contingencies ensuring that they are complete, accurate, and in accordance with the sold case terms
Conduct a review of all Managed Care claims processed by our contracted vendor. This role will require communication with that vendor as appropriate, as well as any internal Berkley staff involved in the administration of the Managed Care segment.
- Review claims payment results performed by contracted vendor on all Provider Excess and HMO Reinsurance business and provide policy documentation, disclosure, risk matrixes and DOFRS to them upon request and within approved authority limits.
- Communicate with contracted vendor as appropriate and respond to client and broker inquiries, as necessary.
- Elevates issues to next level of supervision, as appropriate.
- Manage workload to meet time service standards.
- Exhibit good organizational, oral communication and interpersonal skills while working with internal and external customers.
- Document outcome of claim reviews in the shared drive, as appropriate.
- Utilize knowledge of regulatory/statutory guidelines including but not limited to, HIPPA, privacy, Affordable Care Act, etc., as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
Berkley Accident and Health is seeking a full time Stop Loss Underwriter for our Group Captive division. This position will write and retain profitable accounts that require underwriting experience, with an analytic approach to spread risk. This role will contribute to the achievement of Berkley’s financial plans by meeting premium growth and profitability of assigned book of business.
Stop Loss Underwriter, Captives Segment – Essential duties include:
• Underwrites and proposes financial structure on accounts from 50 – 400 employees within delegated authorities that are specific to position.
• Responsible for constant analysis and development of underwriting and business guidelines
• Develops and maintains successful relationships with target sources and assigned programs
• Responsible for ensuring profitability at both the single employer and group captive level
• Manages an assigned volume of case and program activity for both new and renewal policies
• Works with Supervisor and Actuary to revise and develop group captive tools to improve efficiencies in underwriting process.
• Communicates effectively with various team members within Captive Division
The primary responsibilities of the IT Security Engineer will be designing and implementing security solutions (both technologies and processes) for W.R. Berkley companies. Work closely with infrastructure architecture / engineering / operations, compliance, and business segment leads to identify risks to the business and drive solutions to mitigate those risks.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Thorough understanding of all Security domains
- Regularly collaborates with business partners to define Security solutions to mitigate ongoing threats.
- Coordinates the security planning and delivery of multi-year, multi system solutions for one or more operating units.
- Regularly and proactively introduces security procedures, technologies to assertively protect internal and external business threats. Knowledge and/or experience with application development.
- Problem management - diagnosis, root-cause elimination activity, escalation, tracking and permanent resolution of complex incidents.
The Underwriting Leader is a seasoned medical stop loss underwriting professional who has the years of experience and knowledge to manage a staff of underwriters, as well as exercise sound judgment to achieve appropriate risk adjusted rates of return. In this role you will be a member of the Captives Executive Team; you will collaborate with Captives SVP, Distribution, and Program teams to efficiently manage the quote, negotiation and underwriting activity for our various medical stop loss group captive programs. The role requires the ability to manage a staff of underwriters including workload assignments, personnel and performance reviews, training, and overall strategic guidance. Leader is expected to analyze both financial and clinical risk contingencies, understand the unique risk management initiatives within each programs, and develop rating strategies accordingly.
Captives Underwriting Leader Essential Duties include:
• Collaborate with Senior VP to achieve product financial targets, produce department KPIs, and participate in overall product strategic development.
• Work with Business Development team to ensure deadlines are met.
• Travel with Business Development and Program Management teams to meet with producers and program members.
• Oversee the activity assignments and workload balance of staff of UWs
• Assume an actual assigned workload as appropriate
• Support staff on challenging risk evaluations, service situations, and during periods of high activity
• Ensure staff is properly composing, preparing, and generating correspondence, proposals, and other reports as needed or required.
• Ensure staff is conducting clinical risk evaluations utilizing available resources.
• Make pricing recommendations that will lead to acceptable risk adjusted returns.
• Evaluate and propose pricing on Stop Loss business within stated authority limits.
• Oversee the review of Applications, Policies, Plan Documents/Amendments, and Proposal Contingencies ensuring that they are complete, accurate and in accordance with the sold case terms.
• Ensure that staff is digging in on all data points and analyzing all submitted data from production source.
• Prepare detailed referral recommendations beyond authority limits to SVP that include historical and proposed ESL terms, clinical diagnosis, and paid claims to properly evaluate risk with recommendations on rates, lasers and other contingencies.
• Develop a comprehensive understanding of terms and conditions relative to each EmCap program.
Support the business in the support of existing and development of new software applications, websites, databases, data warehouse and reports which align with the business goals and objectives; oversee testing and resolve software defects; investigate and reconcile system and workflow problems; assist in the design, engineering, implementation and support of information systems.
- Support and continually improve the functionality of our internally focused Business Operations System using C#, .NET and SQL Server.
- Support and continually improve the functionality to our externally focused on-line quoting platform GeminiExpress using C#, .NET and SQL Server.
- Assist in the design, engineering and implantation of a new company website.
- Develop, test, implement and maintain business software applications, websites, databases, data warehouse and reports.
- Leverage advanced front end application and back end database construction skills to ensure the end to end operation and integrity of the application
- Utilize advanced database skills (Stored Procs, triggers, inner/outer joins, Data Modeling, etc.)
- Coordinate with business users to gather requirements, identify system problems and enhancements
- Analyze existing workflow and processes for efficiency; recommend and implement needed changes
- Provide project status reports as requested
- Assist in supporting existing applications
The Vice President of Human Resources (VP HR) reports to the operating unit President(s) and has overall responsibility for developing and executing the human resource strategy in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of the operating unit(s), including but not limited to succession planning, talent management, change management, organizational and performance management, and training and development.The VP HR acts as a trusted partner to the leadership team(s) of assigned operating unit(s) and is the key liaison and partner with Group HR to contribute to operating unit strategies and initiatives as they relate to talent.
The VP HR fulfills the primary responsibilities of the role by executing the following duties and tasks:
- Develop and implement strategies including but not limited to talent acquisition and development, succession planning, workforce planning which align to current and future business and talent needs of the operating unit(s)
- Champion company culture and employee engagement, ensuring leaders and employees are demonstrating and accountable to WRBC core values and culture is integrated into all facets of employee life cycle (onboarding, performance management, recognition)
- Work closely with the company Presidents to ensure people strategies are consistent with and supporting the mission and vision of their organization
- Contribute to annual business planning and budget processes of operating unit(s)
- Act as primary resource to communicate HR strategies and initiatives. Also provide guidance on communication strategy for specific operating units
- Partner with the VP of Talent & Training to capture feedback on talent needs and business goals, ensuring fast and effective hiring to support new growth and backfill hiring and employee retention and development
- Partner collaboratively with business leaders and VP of Talent & Training to ensure alignment of key talent strategies across the enterprise including but not limited to development planning, professional skills development, creation of Employee development Toolkits
- Work with leadership team to establish compensation strategy for their units; provide guidance regarding execution of strategy, including the merit and bonus processes
- Proactively identify and address areas of need within the organization as it relates to human capital, providing recommendations regarding solutions and assisting leaders in executing
- Oversee and provide recommendations about the performance management process as it relates to employee development, employee separation and termination and employee discipline
- Manage employee relations issues, conduct investigations and make decisions and provide guidance as appropriate
- Communicate with WRBC Corporate HR and Legal as needed to get assistance in complex employee relations matters;
- Partner and collaborate with Group HR to deliver timely and world class service that meet current and future local business needs
- Collaborate with Group HR and the business units to set KPI’s. Develop and implement strategy. Measure effectiveness.
- Collaborate with other VP HR and others in the HR function to share ideas, resources, best practices, challenges
- Oversee administration and communication of ADA process as needed
- Proactively identify areas across operating units for process improvements, innovation, opportunities for efficiency and synergies
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensure organization’s compliance
- Manage organizational change to ensure that the change objectives are realized and the changes embedded in the culture as planned to increase employee satisfaction and productivity
- Leverage data and statistics to support or recommend business strategies
- Manage HR-related budgets in collaboration with CFO and HR Generalist including compensation and benefits costs
- Mentor and lead HR Generalist to effectively support business strategy, execute on various HR functions and develop HR skills and competencies
- Additional duties as assigned
The Senior Audit Analyst is an experienced premium auditor responsible for reviewing and performing premium audits, representing Preferred Employers with customers to insure a high quality premium audit experience and acting as a liaison between insureds and company departments. In addition, the SeniorAudit Analyst will answer policyholder questions, resolve audit disputes, assist with the management of fee audit vendors, train employees and any other general duties or projects as assigned and deemed necessary. The Senior Audit Analyst must have excellent analytical and communication skills as well as be a team player committed to customer service and continuous improvement.
- Review, bill and conduct premium audits in accordance with company and state audit guidelines insuring that the proper payroll and classifications are used for determination of premium.
- Maintain working knowledge of the California Workers’ Compensation Uniform Statistical Reporting Plan and NCCI rules.
- Resolve audit disputes.
- Communicate with brokers as necessary with regards to final audit findings.
- Notify other departments of any potential issues discovered at final audit.
- Work with senior staff to improve efficiency of audit department and enhance the customer experience.
- Act as a team leader.
- Assist with training new employees on company & WCIRB audit guidelines.
- Assist with management of fee audit vendors.
The Administrative Services Clerk performs a variety of office support functions and may specialize in one area of office services.
- Open, sort, and distribute incoming mail
- Identify and distribute specialty mail on a priority basis daily
- Print and sort checks, prepare for mailing
- Data entry
- Monitor and handle incoming faxes
- Prepare and scan claim documents
- Prepare and enter claim reports
- Provide backup coverage & assistance within the department
W.R. Berkley is seeking a well-rounded corporate attorney to join its multi-faceted corporate legal group. The successful candidate will be a business-savvy attorney with experience negotiating and structuring a variety of vendor contracts and other commercial agreements, with a particular focus on agreements for the use and supply of information technology goods and services. The candidate should be familiar with U.S. and foreign laws and regulations governing data privacy and information security (including those specifically applicable to companies in the insurance or financial services business). The ideal candidate should also be flexible and able to take on matters involving a wide range of business relationships as needed.
Some of the key points which make this opportunity attractive:
- While working directly with W. R. Berkley’s General Counsel, Chief Privacy Officer and information technology/information security team, you will be surrounded by one of the most sophisticated teams of business executives, lawyers and compliance professionals in the country.
- Work for a company whose leaders pride themselves on integrity, the culture for their employees and a reputation of relationships built on trust and respect with customers and government regulators.
- The Corporate Counsel – Information Technology and Data Privacy will be responsible for reviewing, negotiating and structuring a wide range of vendor and agency agreements and other commercial contracts, with a particular focus on agreements for the provision of information technology goods and services.
- Works closely with colleagues in the Legal Department, the Chief Privacy Officer, procurement and information technology/information security executives to craft contract structures and provisions that advance the company’s interests, effectively mitigate business and legal risk and satisfy applicable laws and regulations.
- Advises on continually changing U.S. and international legal requirements in the information security and data privacy field, and assists with constructing necessary compliance procedures with respect to such requirements.
- Conversant in basic information technology structures, platforms and developments, and understands the risks and legal considerations that they implicate.
- Oversees outside counsel as necessary to supplement internal resources effectively and efficiently.
- Provides counsel to senior leadership of U.S. and international business operating units and information technology executives regarding a varied corporate legal portfolio.
Join our team as a Commercial Lines Underwriter evaluating acceptability of individual risks and determining terms, conditions and pricing to achieve company profit and growth objectives. Work with agents/brokers to develop productive and profitable relationships and to ensure compliance with company underwriting guidelines.
Be a part of a high energy team with an entrepreneurial spirited company and have a meaningful impact in our organization!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the following essential duties and responsibilities satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Underwrites new business by reviewing the application for acceptability, requesting additional information, if necessary, and accepting or rejecting risks in conformance with company guidelines.
- Underwrites within authority set forth by Commercial Lines Vice President and within confines of company's reinsurance treaties and corresponds with agency to collect additional information.
- Underwrites renewal business by reviewing insured's file, producing agency's experience, nature and frequency of losses, loss control surveys, motor vehicle reports, and prior carrier loss experience.
- Assists Commercial Lines Vice President in development of new products, pricing, or coverage's needed.
- Develops productive and profitable relationships with agents.
- Maintains an established loss ratio.
- Meets established production goals and delivers timely service.
- Serves as the staff liaison for the assigned line in disseminating line updates and developing staff.
- Travels within the assigned territory to facilitate customer development and relationship through agency visitation and prospect calls.
- Pursues a program of continuing education by participating in industry sponsored and company sponsored educational courses.
- Assists in training of other personnel as directed.
This position will be assessed based on achievement of the following elements of performance:
Attainment of goals/standards for this position; Dependability (appropriate use of time and resources, including but not limited to phone use, attendance, promptness, funds or asset use); Customer service/sensitivity (of internal and external customers); Teamwork.
Other additional elements of performance will impact this position and will be provided by the supervisor of this position.
Works directly with subject matter experts from Underwriting, Claims, Imaging, Regulatory, Accounting, Marketing, & Business Development departments to elicit requirements and transform them into user stories. Responsible for providing excellent facilitation of projects and project meetings capturing requirements and clarifying business needs for the development team in support of strategic technology projects for the Company. Works closely with the Agile team to provide business requirement translation of application and system enhancements.
- Works with Product Owners, subject matter experts, and IT in defining business needs and solutions for system enhancements.
- Responsible for analysis, process modeling, engineering, and re-engineering of business flows and procedures.
- Facilitates and leads general business process analysis sessions.
- Facilitates and leads systems or software requirements definition sessions that result in user stories.
- While working with all levels of Nautilus staff, develops documentation of systems/software requirements including screens, general functions, reports, data requirements, etc.
- Works with business users to ensure benefits from processes are realized.
- Provides general liaison services between IT and the business community.
- May act as the Scrum Master on some project teams.
- Supports and/or participates in the execution of systems testing plans.
- May lead formal training sessions on newly designed systems.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the creation/maintenance of the online electronic forms/rules library.
- Supports and/or participates heavily in the development of training materials.
- Performs Sarbanes Oxley testing as directed in support of requests made by the AVP, IT.
- Prepares weekly activity report for Manager.
- Other duties may be assigned.
The Commercial Insurance Rater is responsible for supporting company / commercial lines growth, profitability, and service goals through the accurate and efficient handling of new business submissions, data processing functions, clerk related policy tasks, and other various administrative tasks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Enter and rate new business submissions for commercial lines of business for the licensed states within the company utilizing an online rating tool. Classify risks according to current manual rules and related instructions.
- Process basic types of change requests, such as terrorism, opt out, and driver exclusion endorsements using available data processing equipment and systems.
- Process clerk related policy transactions including but not limited to, driver information requests, loss run requests, and requests for signed forms.
- Update Workflow-Imaging system with required and appropriate documentation.
- Manage and organize job duties/tasks of this position in an effective manner to meet established company/department goals and deadlines.
- Read and comprehend instructions provided for navigation and effective use of company policy rating systems, workflow imaging system, external sites, and other system supported tools necessary to efficiently complete daily tasks.
- Contact agents, bureaus and/or company underwriting staff regarding matters concerning assigned tasks. Respond appropriately to agents or underwriting requests for information.
- Gain additional knowledge of commercial lines insurance coverage and rating through provided resources.
- Maintain good working relationships with supervisor, associates, agents and public, and contribute to a cooperative work environment.
Administrative tasks including but not limited to processing mail and providing phone backup.
Assist with mentoring of new and existing staff in the demonstration of new or existing material when requested by supervisor.
- Maintains good working relationship with supervisor, associates, agents, and public and contributes to a cooperative work environment.
- This position will be assessed based on achievement of the following elements of performance: Attainment of goals/standards for this position; Dependability (Appropriate use of time and resources, including but not limited to phone use, attendance, promptness, funds or asset use;Customer service/sensitivity (of internal and external customers); Teamwork.
- Other additional elements of performance will impact this position and will be provided by the supervisor of this position.
Provides vision, oversight, direction and management of the commercial Agribusiness Casualty claims unit. Implements and monitors severity, complexity management and quality assurance standards and procedures. Works collaboratively with claims leadership team to ensure effective and efficient claims services.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides strategic direction and leadership for the Casualty claims unit including severity management and litigation management. Develops, plans and implements strategic and tactical plans to meet enterprise-wide business objectives.
- Identifies and monitors high severity and/or complex Casualty claims by participating in handling, reserving and resolution discussions in roundtable settings and through daily interactions with claims staff. Keeps senior claims management informed of significant developments and defensive strategies on severe or complex claims.
- Provides assistance and support in the management and evaluation of the Company's most severe and complex liability claims. Actively participates in the coverage, liability and damages analysis and development of strategy leading towards case resolution which may include correspondence and consultation with Greenwich Claims Department. Assists in the recognition of available defenses. Makes settlement decisions for cases exceeding staff authority levels.
- Directs the activities of defense counsel in order to expedite settlement of commercial agribusiness claims.
- Drives and monitors the prevention and/or control of litigation through the selection of counsel, evaluation and direction of claim and litigation strategy. Participates in law firm audits.
- Develops strategic responses to court cases against Berkley Agribusiness and its policyholders.
- Monitors and analyzes organizational performance. Develops and analyzes key performance metrics.
- Implements, monitors, and maintains quality assurance in Casualty claims via the audit process. Leverages management information to enhance team performance and identify trends. Drives for performance at all levels within the team, holding each member of the team accountable for meeting stated performance metrics and objectives.
- Attracts, coaches and develops talent. Provides frequent and specific constructive feedback to staff. Provides technical advice, direction and mentoring to Claims staff. Facilitates the development and use of individual development plans to assure ongoing professional development and casualty-based training occurs within the organization.
- Drives change to assure continuous improvement. Collaborates with cross-functional leaders to identify and implement strategies to improve results and contribute to the business unit’s goal of optimized profitability, managed growth and enhanced competitive advantage. Leads or participates in projects with other W. R. Berkley Corporation companies.
- Ensures the team’s claims handling practices are in compliance with all state statutes and regulatory / legal requirements.
- Ensure reinsurance notifications are completed and in compliance with our agreements.
Accepts, retains and prices agribusiness insurance risks of significant size or technical complexity in
accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level. Manages book of
business to achieve profitable growth objectives by properly classifying and pricing risks; building strong
internal and external business relationships; analyzing competitive marketing data, and developing,
implementing and monitoring action plans as appropriate. Serves as the point of contact for assigned agencies
and is responsible for the agency relationship. Assists management with product development and staff
underwriting responsibilities; and serves as technical underwriting resource to the underwriting team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Assesses new commercial agribusiness insurance risks and determines accurate classification of business,
policy contract forms and pricing of risk. Works within broad limits and authority on commercial
underwriting accounts of significant size or high technical complexity. Evaluates property (COPE)
information, liability exposures, fleet and safety programs, loss history, financial reports, risk control reports,
etc. Accepts and prices risk in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated
authority level. 25%
Reviews renewal accounts by examining business operations, classification, contract forms and loss activity.
Determines if account is an acceptable risk or if it will be non-renewed. Determines price in accordance with
established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level. Reviews accounts and endorsement
requests exceeding Senior Underwriter, Underwriter or Underwriting Assistant’s authority level and takes
appropriate procedural action. 25%
Develops, expands and/or enhances agency relationships to promote profitability and growth of new business
and the retention of existing business. Travels and meets with agents and customers to enhance business
relationships. Educates agency staff on pricing, product set and risk selection philosophy. Participates in the
agency management process. Assesses the strengths and weaknesses of agencies and assists them in
achieving the mutual goal of sustained profitable growth. 20%
Identifies new business opportunities from the agency force to assess, quote, inspect and accept. Collaborates
with Underwriting team, Risk Control, Claims, IT and Senior Management to create strong agency partnerships
and build a profitable book of business. Effectively manages book of business to achieve established
profitability, growth and retention goals. 15%
Serves as a technical underwriting resource to underwriting staff and agents regarding products, coverages
and rating procedures. Assists underwriting management with product development and underwriting file
reviews. Provides professional development knowledge and guidance to Senior Underwriters, Underwriters, Underwriting Assistants and other functional areas. 5% Identifies accounts that require placement of facultative reinsurance and facilitates placement through W.R. Berkley Corporation approved markets. 5% Analyzes agency results, competitive marketing data and operating environment of territory/agency. Stays current on relevant insurance industry trends and issues. 5% Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
The Senior Software Engineer will be responsible for the technical implementation of the ecosystem; the tools to develop applications that work with Guidewire’s ClaimCenter, and how it fits in with our organizational strategy. Apart from being highly technical, the Senior Software Engineer will play a lead role in code delivery and provide hands-on delivery guidance.
- Experience developing large, complex products on the Guidewire ClaimCenter platform
- Experience developing project components from ideation to execution
- Must develop and execute unit test cases and conduct peer code reviews in the Guidewire platform
- Must estimate the effort needed to integrate new solutions/applications with other systems
- Ability to propose creative technical solution to business problems
The Underwriting Analyst position will be part of the newly-formed Berkley Healthcare Financial Lines group. The candidate will provide underwriting support to the underwriting team and administrative support to senior company managers. In the primary role of underwriting analyst, the candidate will support the underwriters throughout the placement process for both new and renewal business from submission receipt to policy issuance. In the administrative support role, the candidate will provide a variety of services in an “all hands on deck” capacity, including coordination of travel arrangements, expense processing, office management, and ad hoc administrative project support for the management team. At BHFL we are hiring for the future. Career opportunities are not limited by your initial position, especially for those who join us on the first part of our journey.
- Take-in underwriting submissions, perform account clearance, OFAC clearance, and prepare underwriting worksheets for underwriting review
- Set up underwriting files and maintain proper and complete underwriting documentation
- Assist underwriters with underwriting analysis, rating and quoting, binding, and policy issuance
- Maintaining accurate newline and renewal logs
- Manage midterm endorsement requests
- Responsible for the preparation of renewals, including the 60/90 day renewal notices
- Manage travel arrangements and expense processing for management team
- Provide administrative office management services for West Hartford office
- Manage ad-hoc projects on as needed basis
The underwriting position will be part of the newly-formed Berkley Healthcare Financial Lines group. The candidate will be assist senior managers in establishing underwriting protocols and procedures for the middle market business. The senior underwriter will be responsible for handling new and renewal business throughout the placement process from underwriting submission receipt to policy issuance. The candidate will be work closely with the Marketing and Distribution Manager to build and manage broker relationships. The underwriter will serve in an “all hands on deck” capacity, wearing several hats in a start-up environment. At BHFL we are hiring for the future. Career opportunities are not limited by your initial position, especially for those who join us on the first part of our journey
- Determine risk acceptability in accordance with underwriting risk appetite and guidelines
- Prepare thorough underwriting analyses with detailed exposure analysis and independent underwriter assessment
- Make pricing, coverage, terms and conditions determinations and recommendations within defined limits/authority and underwriting guidelines and authority parameters
- Develop, grow and maintain a profitable, diversified book of business aligned with company goals
- Ensure production and loss ratio goals are achieved for assigned book by reviewing, analyzing and evaluating information and taking appropriate action as necessary
- Develop positive agency relationships within assigned territory while maintaining a good rapport through responsive levels of service
- Coordinate marketing activities including travel in coordination with Distribution and Marketing Manager
- Foster growth of less experienced staff in a positive and growth-oriented environment
- Actively self-educate as to line of business, industry and insurance trends including exposures, claims, legal, legislative, healthcare, current events, self-improvement and innovation
Travel Required: London, Continental Europe, Australia, Asia and Latin America. The overall estimated travel is 50%.
About this role
Lead and/or assist in the performance of multi-disciplinary audits completed for the international insurance and reinsurance segments of W. R. Berkley Corporation (WRBC). Continue to develop and refine the long-term plans for providing internal audit services throughout the various regions.
· Continue the ongoing development of an international multi-year audit plan. This includes the expansion and understanding of the international risk universe.
· Participate in the annual risk assessment used to develop the annual audit plans. The risk assessment should include an understanding of the WRBC Group Risk registers, the various companies’ Risk Registers, financial results, and input from key departments.
· Coordinate and develop the co-source arrangement in place for Internal Audit in the U.K and Europe.
· Enhance the interface and coordinate with Internal Audit functions existing within the segments.
· Lead and/or perform multi-disciplinary audits throughout the international insurance and reinsurance segments. This includes:
Ø Staffing and planning audits utilizing professionals from the WRBC Internal Audit Department, WRBC Operating Units, and/or the co-source provider.
Ø Assess practices, procedures, results and controls of the subject unit and/or function.
Ø Assess effectiveness of the organizational structure, staffing and management information.
Ø Ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements.
Ø Lead and/or participate in closing meetings and Senior Management debriefings.
Ø Develop opportunities for improvement, and document issues and recommendations.
Ø Prepare written reports
· Utilize RSA Archer’s Enterprise Governance, Risk and Compliance software to document audit work papers, identify reportable issues, monitor Sarbanes Oxley 404 testing progress, and follow-up on remedial actions.
· Coordinate with the Global Sarbanes Oxley Coordinators to ensure that Management’s testing is appropriately executed and the results reported across the international segments.
· Be acquainted with regulatory requirements and changes as defined by key regulators such as Lloyds of London, the Prudential Regulatory Authority (U.K.), the Financial Conduct Authority (U.K.), the European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority (EIOPA), and the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA).
· Interact with key contacts throughout the international segments such as individual Risk Officers and the respective Audit Committee members.
· Contribute to the development of the Internal Audit Department team members.