Click column header to sort
The Underwriting Consultant will function as the Food Specialty program lead, providing food product expertise across the organization. This position will function as a subject-matter-expert, responsible for program development and strategy. Will lead the execution of program goals including the refinement of underwriting guidelines, driving pipeline growth, the addition of new agency relationships and managing exposures in achieving the company’s strategy, growth and profitability objectives.
- Provides technical underwriting expertise and support the food specialty program in achieving the company’s strategy, growth, and profitability objectives. Analyzes competitive market intelligence to identify trends. Provides guidance regarding the unit’s performance, financial results, profitability, business mix, competitors, and market trends. Recommends adjustments as they relate to financial targets.
- Serves as a technical underwriting resource for Business Development, Risk Services, Claims and Premium Audit staffs. Includes specific subject-matter-expertise for industry fields or lines of business, where appropriate. Provides guidance on technically complex referrals from field underwriting operations including coverage design and reinsurance. Monitors facultative reinsurance placements.
- Participates in Business Development activities, including consultation with underwriters on individual renewals and new business opportunities. Includes direct interaction with agencies and review of opportunities with Business Development and Marketing teams. May include direct underwriting of individual risks, including review and acceptance of risk, quote and negotiation of terms, and issuance of policy with appropriate terms and conditions.
- May include direct interaction with key customers or prospects to manage services and to demonstrate expertise and credibility on behalf of the company. May include attendance of industry events or trade conferences to further develop expertise and enhance company presence in the industry.
- Performs periodic reviews portfolio-level review of accounts and trends to ensure sound underwriting practices. Conducts underwriting audits of individual risks for compliance with company guidelines, state regulations, and reinsurance. Develops and amends company underwriting rules and guidelines.
- Participates in development and/or delivery of training material for the regional or business unit staff. Includes customized training, provided to groups or individuals, specific to areas of defined subject-matter-expertise, or other areas as needed. May include review of candidates and participation in the hiring process for individual underwriters, including onboarding based on subject-matter-expertise.
The Transactional Risk Claims Attorney will manage all aspects of claims resolutions for Representations and Warranties, Tax and Contingent Liability claims. S/he will review claims notices, navigate purchase agreements, schedules and data rooms and draft follow-up letters responsive to the claims and manage the process through resolution. The Transactional Risk Claims Attorney reports to the Senior Vice President & Chief Claims Officer at Berkley Professional Liability and works closely with the members of Berkley Transactional team. S/he will retain outside counsel and forensic accountants as needed.
The Underwriting and Claims Associate reports directly to the Senior Vice President of Claims and is responsible for support to the underwriting and claims teams in order to provide exceptional service to Berkley Cyber Risk Solutions brokers and insureds. Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist Underwriters by creating preliminary quotes on renewal business
- Assist Underwriters by creating preliminary quotes on new business
- Assist Underwriters in renewal solicitation process.
- Monitor and review submission log for Risk Strategies business.
- Perform UW assistant-related tasks for new MGU business
- Serve as back-up for all other Underwriting assistant-related tasks.
- Prepare and distribute loss runs as requested by Underwriters and Brokers
- Prepare and update physical Claim files for Claims department.
- Monitor and review dedicated Claims email inboxes
- Assist in preparation of documentation for claim payments
- Assist in preparation and sending of Claim Acknowledgment letters
- Stay current with all compliance, procedural and workflow changes.
The Risk Control Managing Consultant is the highest level individual contributor field position within the Risk Control organization. The role is highly visible to our largest accounts, agents and programs. Incumbent will consult, coordinate services and evaluate commercial operations across a broad spectrum of large risks. Frequently interacts with owners, managers, employees, agents and underwriting to determine the type and level of exposures present and controls needed. Determines customer’s ability to control the exposures by gathering information through physical surveys, program audits, loss history analysis, comparison to industry standards and customer interviews. Provides training, mentoring, specialized technical advice and counsel to staff on service planning and stewardship. Assists underwriting with risk selection and ongoing account management.
- Manage the risk control process on large account acquisition, renewal and service across the spectrum of assigned risks, and programs. Facilitate and coordinate cross-functional account stewardship activities to ensure stewardship best practices are met.
- Survey commercial operations for property, liability, workers compensation and business auto hazards and controls. Evaluate physical conditions, safety practices, and hazardous situations according to knowledge of consensus standards, established underwriting guidelines and governmental regulations. Leverages Safety experience and technical expertise to report on large or complex operations. Observes business operations and management practices to determine safety issues and hazards. Analyzes history of incidents and evaluates scenes of accidents to determine root causes and to consult in development of accident prevention programs. Measures insured area(s), calculates frontage, records description and amount of stock, and photographs or drafts scale drawings of properties to identify factors affecting risk acceptability and insurance premiums.
- Prepares timely service plans, written reports and correspondence of findings and recommendations for risk improvement.
- Consults with insured in regard to activities and programs to control losses and improve safety. Confers with employees of insured, provides informational materials and conducts training as needed to induce compliance with safety standards, codes and regulations.
- Prepares and assists in the completion of assigned file audits utilizing the internal toolkit audit system. Provides training, mentoring, specialized technical advice and counsel to internal staff regarding regulations, hazards and controls associated with area(s) of expertise.
- Serves as a Stewardship and Service Subject Matter Expert to the largest accounts.
- Position will not have direct reports
- Position can be worked remotely T
Account Executive will be assigned to a particular geographic territory or product category and will be expected to promote profitable written premium growth and favorable loss ratios in accordance with BCIM Best Practices, Underwriting Guidelines, Line of Business risk appetite, and personal Underwriting Authority. (Underwriters) may also be required to oversee the efficiency and effectiveness of other Underwriters and Technical Assistants.
- Evaluation, rating, and pricing of New Business and Renewal risks.
- Adherence to BXM Best Practices, Underwriting Guidelines, Line of Business risk appetite, and personal Underwriting Authority.
- Development, maintenance, and management of assigned producer relationships through visitations and regular customer contact.
- Evaluation of the performance of producer relationships to ensure company and agency goals are met.
- Awareness and maintenance of personal production and quality measures.
- Act as liaison with finance/accounting as needed.
- May also be required to oversee the efficiency and effectiveness of other Underwriters and Technical Assistants.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Works within the expanding and dynamic corporate accounting department of W.R Berkley Corporation (WRBC), including working with business units across the globe, to prepare and analyze monthly financial information for the corporate location and related business units. Expectation is to deliver financial information accurately, efficiently, and timely. Also assists with ad hoc projects and requests as needed.
- Perform accounting responsibilities surrounding complex areas of the monthly close.
- Manage the monthly corporate accounting U.S. GAAP close and consolidation process, including oversight of junior staff, business unit submissions, preparation of monthly balance sheet and income statement as well as the cash flow statement.
- Prepare standalone entity financial statements (U.S. GAAP, foreign GAAPs, and statutory accounting principles (SAP)) and other miscellaneous filings.
- Provide financial reports to senior department leaders (e.g. account analysis, reconciliations, ad hoc analysis, etc.).
- Support development of streamlined management reporting reports through automation or other efficiency gaining ways.
- Establish and maintain effective communication within WRBC Group to facilitate providing financial information to other corporate departments and working with business units where needed.
- Champion innovation within the corporate accounting department.
- Manage finance and accounting operational items within PeopleSoft (working capital analysis, payables, asset manager, etc.)
- Prepare and review controls including management and execution of Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) related work, review and follow up on findings and establishment of appropriate internal financial controls.
- Work with WRBC’s external and internal audit teams to facilitate completion of all audit requests
- Ad hoc projects as considered necessary relating to corporate needs or business unit assistance.
FINANCIAL PLANNING AND ANALYSIS
- Support the business planning process for corporate as well as including review of business unit submissions.
- Deliver regular financial management information to track progress against plan and provide variance analysis as required.
- Contribute financial analysis to assist in decision making, management reporting, board reporting.
Provides strategic direction and leadership for BNP’s Commercial Business operation. Proactively participates with the senior management team and functional department staff in developing and executing strategic plans to meet BNP business objectives including, but not limited to, establishing underwriting philosophies and guidelines to support the BNP business plan goals of profitability, managed growth and enhanced competitive advantage. Fosters a workplace environment consistent with the values and mission outlined by the leadership of the Company.
- Develops strategic vision and provides leadership for the Commercial business operation to support company goals of optimized profitability and managed growth. Assists the CUO in developing and implementing strategic objectives, underwriting strategies and underwriting best practices.
- Ensures the Commercial Business unit staff has solid appreciation and understanding of BNP’s risk appetite and market differentiators thru the development of Underwriting guides, creation of new Products, identifying potential business opportunities and targets, competitive threats and emerging market trends.
- Has Underwriting Authority over those individual risks referred by the Underwriting staff as defined by the CUO.
- Working with Actuarial, IT, Product and Filings, coordinates the execution of all Rate and Form filings on behalf of BNP.
- Oversees and responsible for the BNP Premium Audit function and relationship of other W.R. Berkley departments associated with that function.
- In conjunction with Actuarial and BNP’s Data Center, assist in evaluating the business unit’s underwriting performance as respects the primary lines of coverage and Product extensions offered.
- Develops and provides oversight for risk quality program including regional underwriting audits and peer review process. Oversee and execute the applicable SOX requirements, coordinate and be the liaison for WRBC Corporate Underwriting Audits, Reinsurance audits or audits by WRBC Corporate Auditors.
- Provides guidance and direction in the development of underwriting and training tools. Provides Product training to Underwriting staff, Claims and other departments as required.
- Participates in developing, maintaining or enhancing customer relationships to promote profitability and growth of Commercial business and the retention of existing business.
- Attracts, coaches and develops talent to ensure a staff capable of carrying out business strategies. Contributes to BNP’s success by developing departmental and individual staff goals, measuring results, rewarding achievement or taking corrective action, as necessary. Mentors staff by providing frequent and specific constructive feedback. Places emphasis on talent management and succession planning.
- Develops and maintains relationships with other W.R. Berkley Companies to capitalize on business opportunities and efficiencies.
- Directly supervises Commercial Product & Underwriting Team and Premium Audit members within the Home Office Underwriting Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The Technical Assistant 1 will support our Underwriters in processing new and renewal business and managing and maintaining policy files.
- Prepare, organize and maintain files, follow-up for additional information and suspense according to established time-frames.
- Produce various required reports
- Develop and maintain required databases
The Technical Assistant 1 fulfills the primary responsibilities of the role by executing the following duties and tasks:
- Clear and Set up Submissions
- Handle OFAC Clearance
- Set up policy folders in Sharepoint and Paper files
- Issue Renewal/Non-renewal, Conditional Notices in ODEN
- Request and Review Underlying Policies
- Responsible for making sure all policies (folders and sharepoint) contain coding sheets, invoices, quotes, binders, submissions, correspondence, reports, loss runs and underlying policies and checklist.
- Request Loss runs, completed TRIA forms and Surplus Lines Letter and handle follow up request
- Issue non-premium bearing endorsements
The purpose of the role is to collaborate with and provide support to the Corporate Actuary team across a portfolio of diverse US and international P&C risk.
The first phase is to help consolidate and modernize key pieces of analysis and reporting across the group. This will evolve into more strategic, project-based work to provide targeted solutions to actuarial problems.
The position entails working in a dynamic environment, interacting with management and all insurance functions, including IT & Systems, Actuarial, Claims, Underwriting, Reinsurance, and Finance.
The candidate will be part of the Corporate Actuary team and will apply actuarial and data science to create both regularly-scheduled and project-based deliverables, including:
- Development and deployment of tools, best practices, and templates to help consolidate, standardize and accelerate key analysis and reporting, wherever there are opportunities.
- Perform testing and documentation of actuarial reserving and pricing in collaboration with operating entities and under the guidance of the Corporate Actuary team.
- Participate in discussions to provide observations and recommendations to operating companies from both a commercial and regulatory/actuarial standards perspective.
- Design and implement new management information to extract actionable insights from data.
- Help to manage, maintain, and provide data across multiple platforms and warehouses consistent with corporate data strategy and information sharing protocols.
- Be a resource for new and innovative ideas to continually challenge the status quo.
- Support operating entities with ad-hoc requests for actuarial support.
The Underwriting Director will lead an assigned team within the Underwriting Department to support the company’s business plan goals of profitability, managed growth and enhanced competitive advantage and to ensure that professional and prompt underwriting service is provided to customers.
- Recruits, trains, challenges, motivates and mentors underwriting staff to assure excellence in customer service, quality, profitability and productivity. Leads and utilizes team meetings to share information and solicit input from staff. Serves as technical underwriting resource to team.
- Provides product development support and research, workflow efficiencies, and best practices for the Underwriting Department.
- Helps the underwriting team assess new and renewal middle-market food and commercial agribusiness insurance risks and determines accurate classification of business, policy contract forms and pricing of risk through referrals per Letters of Authority.
- Works within broad limits and authority on commercial underwriting accounts of significant size or high technical complexity.
- Monitors and analyzes underwriting production metrics including but not limited to loss experience, agency performance, identifying trends and analyzing competitive marketing data.
- Collaborates closely with other functional areas of Business Development, Risk Control, Claims and IT to accomplish goals and projects that will help build and maintain a profitable book of business.
This position is an Underwriting Operations business analysis role with an emphasis on forms configuration. The individual will be responsible for the analysis, configuration and quality assurance of existing/new policy forms and non-form business requirements applicable to our property & casualty specialty lines of business coordinating between Underwriting and other functional areas.
- Manage company forms requirements working with BCIM Underwriting, BCIM Compliance, and WBRC Business Services
- Manage UW Systems Administration of Forms, Forms Configuration, Access Control, Reference Data, and Establishing Data Entry Standards working with BCIM Underwriting, BTS BUS System people and BCIM IT UW Systems People
- Manage the resolution of UW Systems data entry issues and supporting other BCIM Operating Units data needs
- Participate on UW Systems enhancements project to ensure Business Requirements are met and tested for acceptance
- Management of state and company rules and regulatory changes;
- Participate in initiatives to ensure consistency across various proprietary system implementations and enhancements;
- Monitor advisory organizations and propose company response;
- Ensure systems are up to date with respect to form/rate/rules for assigned program(s);
- Communicate any form/rate/rule changes to internal and external stakeholders;
- Support primary and excess lines of business;
- Work with technical team to prevent or minimize impacts from delivered changes;
- Support manuscript and new policy form creation
Carolina Casualty is looking for a talented Claims professional who will be responsible for investigating, assessing, managing and resolving commercial automobile litigation and complex claims.
- Oversee and resolve truck, bus, commercial auto and/or public transportation claims, including litigation
- Select, oversee, and grade the performance of outside counsel
- Attend and monitor trials to assess attorney performance and jury verdict risk
- Set and control litigation budgets
- Initiate and oversee serious automobile accident investigations and rapid response
- Develop strategies and effective plans that drive litigated matters / claims to better results
- Accurately assess and resolve commercial auto insurance coverage issues, analyze facts and allegations in conjunction with all policy provisions, endorsements and amendments
- Draft declination, Reservation of Rights and other coverage letters
- Negotiate outstanding settlements
- Present case statuses/summaries in a clear, concise and understandable manner
- In collaboration with the marketing team, develop, execute, and manage integrated digital marketing campaigns for W.R. Berkley and our 50+ operating units (OUs) worldwide.
- Help create, build, execute and monitor email campaigns—establish metrics, monitor and report performance for each campaign.
- Help create, build, deploy and assess webinars using GoToWebinar
- Offer a solid understanding of Google Analytics and other digital marketing analytic tools to assess campaign metrics
- Working knowledge of automated marketing platforms such as HubSpot and Marketing Cloud, and the ability to collaborate and implement initiatives and campaigns within such platforms
- Execute corporate website changes as needed within Kentico
- Maintain and enhance the Corporate Marketing portal within SharePoint
- Identify trends, insights and emerging technologies within the digital marketing space that will best support the Berkley brand and its various operating units
- General support of corporate marketing initiatives that may not be digital in nature
Berkley Aspire has an exciting opportunity for a Commercial Underwriting Manager who is looking to make a major contribution to a fast growing surplus lines company. In this role, the Underwriting Manager will lead our production underwriting team to meet production and underwriting, profit and loss goals. This individual will also coach and mentor their team in sales related, retail agency management, in order to seek out and secure opportunities that drive surplus lines insurance products.
- Responsible for all production and underwriting (profit/loss) results for the production underwriting team
- Lead and coach the production underwriting team through an advanced understanding of underwriting guidelines, state regulations, facultative reinsurance placement and OFAC regulations
- Conduct performance management duties including KPI analytics
- Participate on projects and initiatives as assigned by leadership
- Review claims activity, loss control survey, and inspection reports for compliance with existing policies, handling exceptions as required and recommending improvements
- Provide support to ensure accurate and timely servicing of accounts
- Collaborate with other departments to resolve issues
- Lead delivery of appropriate customer service levels
- Determine and lead delivery of training and development based on individual and unit needs - Coaches, develops and provides feedback to associates
- Manage relationships with WR Berkley regional carriers and territory teams – Work to initiate and execute cross selling strategies
- Assist the production underwriting team with development and execution of sound action plans to drive business from key agents
- Monitor, track and analyze the effectiveness of agency partnerships to support course corrections and decision making
The role of Executive Underwriter is to provide technical assistance in the Home Office Underwriting Department on special projects, product development, form and endorsement development, underwriting audits, corporate initiatives, training and development and product specific research while also acting as a referral authority, mentor and trainer to the underwriting team.
- Handle account referrals outside of individual underwriter authority
- Make sound risk and pricing decisions to drive profitable growth and achieve business objectives
- Assist the management team with training, mentoring and coaching of new associates and less experienced team members
- Assist the management team in the overall development and communication of underwriting appetite
- Assist the management team with developing and refining Underwriting and Pricing Guidelines
- Assist the management team in new product development efforts to include initiation, research and implementation of new products as well as product/process enhancements
- In coordination with the management team, participate in the development and execution of annual business plans for the division to include a profitable underwriting strategy
- Lead research projects on trends impacting our business
- Participate in book profitability analyses and corresponding action plan development
- Stay abreast and knowledgeable on market trends and conditions to guide our business and achieve objectives
- Lead the Underwriting Audit/Quality Control (QC) process to drive underwriting quality including:
Daily review of ‘bound’ new business to confirm the unit is maintaining underwriting integrity
Daily review of ‘declined’ accounts to ensure opportunities are not being missed
- Assist in the development of forms and endorsements and lead the coordination with Claims and Legal to finalize wording
- Lead and participate in projects and initiatives as assigned by leadership
- Other special projects/duties as assigned