Click column header to sort
- Lead, develop, and manage the medical operations of the Claims Department to maximize injured worker outcomes and minimize medical loss.
- Provide ongoing development and oversight of medical vendor relationships through which medical loss mitigation objectives are accomplished.
- Coach, direct, and lead in-house Medical Management Consultants and National Catastrophic Medical Consultants in the execution of the organization’s medical management strategy.
- Review selected cases for medical opinions as to causation, appropriateness of diagnosis and medical management, and recommendations for future care.
- Actively participate in Claims Leadership Team responsibilities related to the development of the corporate strategic plan, including operational plans for the Claims Department.
- Lead the Medical Management Consultants in the development of medical policies and procedures, as well as guidelines/benchmarks against which to monitor and measure success.
- Participate with company leadership in creating the medical management strategy by providing recommendations for such, as well as the potential benefits for stakeholders.
- Lead, develop, and manage the Medical Management Consultants, for whose performance the Medical Director will be accountable, to fully understand the corporate and departmental objectives and plans, and successfully carry out their respective responsibilities.
- Develop and deliver training to the organization related to all aspects of medical conditions, diagnostics, treatments, and strategies pertinent to the organization.
- Develop and deliver presentations and WebEx broadcasts on medically-relevant topics to external parties such as clients, brokers, prospects, and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with the Predictive Modeling Unit to identify claim medical risks and provide strategies for mitigating the cost associated with those risks.
The Associate Underwriter will work in a team setting underwriting and servicing new and renewal accounts for the development and retention of our Professional Lines business.
- Production and underwriting of new and renewal account business.
- Compliance with underwriting documentation rules and guidelines.
- Maintain an acceptable underwriting profit.
- Adherence to Admiral underwriting guidelines and referral compliance.
- Development and maintenance of key broker/agent relationships.
- Participates in all internal company training and continuing education.
- Remains current on product releases as it pertains to Professional Lines.
- Attends strategic marketing calls to key brokers.
The Marketing Assistant supports the marketing team in the planning and execution of internal and external events, preparation of presentation materials, and marketing communications.
- Responsible for assisting in the coordination of all internal and external event planning, including catering needs, attendee RSVPs, travel and venue coordination, creation of name cards, ordering/assembling promotional items, collateral, etc.
- Assists with creation and formatting of PowerPoint or Prezi presentations, ensuring Admiral brand standards are upheld and imagery supports corporate messaging.
- Researches and recommends new promotional items, orders, and coordinates the distribution and shipping.
- Responsible for collateral proofing, printing, and shipping.
- Responsible for Employee Engagement committee-related events/campaigns including drafting emails, flyers, catering needs, sending out surveys, etc.
- Creates social media posts and coordinate approvals and scheduling.
- Works with marketing team to update marketing planning calendar.
- Assists with other marketing activities as needed.
- Supports the business on other special project related items, as assigned.
Staff level position performing various duties related to the financial reporting process. Areas of responsibility include GAAP/Stat financial statement preparation and reporting, reinsurance accounting, reconciliations and monitoring cash flow. All functions focus on both accurate and timely completion based on the close schedule.
- Preparation of accurate GAAP financial statements and reporting packages as assigned, including journal entries, supporting schedules and analysis, meeting all due dates per closing schedule.
- Reinsurance accounting, reconciliation and reporting.
- Responsible for timely and accurate account reconciliations as assigned (including analysis and resolution of reconciling items).
- Responsible for the accuracy of results for assigned programs.
- Report and settle Reinsurance remittances on a timely basis.
- Monitor cash settlements from both Profit Centers and Reinsurers.
- Analyze program results and anticipate future impacts from changing terms.
- Prepares analysis and utilize reporting tools to obtain information from the general ledger and/or financial data warehouse as required to assist with the reconciliation and analytic duties related to position.
- Assists in the support of internal and external audits/examinations.
- Active pursuit of continuous process improvement and progress measurement (metrics)
- Working with Regional Presidents and Segment Leader, responsible for creating/establishing long-term vision and strategic direction for our “Flow/small” business segment
- Establish an enterprise economic model that leads to sustained growth/profitability
- “Shared”* P&L responsibility
- *In order to maintain proper alignment with Regional companies, our “Flow Business Center” will share 50/50 all revenues/profit/loss with all regionals.
- Build a “state-of-the-art” operation center & team utilizing leading-edge technology platforms
- Utilizing modeled underwriting & selection
- Automated operational approaches that streamline processes
- Create modern, delightful customer experiences that combine “real people” with self-selected features
- In conjunction with Regional Company Underwriting & Distribution Leaders, create territorial underwriting and distribution strategies that lead to consistent/superior growth & profitability
- Responsible for innovation culture creation that is consistent throughout the regional segment
- Build modeled underwriting selection and pricing components
- Build automated operational approaches that streamline
We are looking for a Sr. front-end developer who is creative, passionate and skilled at developing applications that run in the latest browsers. Responsibilities include working with user experience designers, engineers, business analysts and product owners to create the functional and visual implementation of a designed interface. You must be able to collaborate effectively as you will be taking an active role in defining the technical requirements for a web application.
- Work with WRBC companies, business analysts, technical staff, and project team members to plan, design, develop, implement and enhance the user experience of applications
- Identify exciting opportunities for adopting new technologies to solve existing needs and predicting future challenges
- Define and implement the front end architecture that will provide the best user experience, that is both scalable and reusable with cross browser capability
- Develop, Implement and support reusable interface components
- Provide mentorship and guidance to other UI Engineers
- Provide technical expertise for UI, front-end web and mobile development
- Advocate for browser as a platform technology within the organization
- Travel less than 10%
The purpose of the position is to bring both industry and legal technical expertise in the management of our largest and/or most complex claim matters. This will be a safeguarding / oversight role, working closely with the respective claim offices. Provide technical and strategic guidance for high exposure and complex claims, including coverage and/or bad faith litigation, being managed by in-house claim departments of multiple operating units. Assure that exposures are timely recognized, resolution plans are well formulated and executed. Effectively communicate with external business partners as well as colleagues in underwriting, actuarial and executive management.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Superior knowledge of all technical aspects of claims handling/management including investigation, coverage analysis, litigation management, evaluation, reserving and negotiation
- Inform other functional departments (underwriting, actuarial, finance)of positive/negative conditions noted during investigations which may impact company results
- Engage with reinsurance partners on claim issues and industry trends
- Drive favorable loss cost results by influencing, planning and guidance on individual claims.
- Provides ongoing analysis of technical material (i.e. case law, regulations) to determine the impact on claim operations and provides the necessary guidance and assistance to the claim office(s).
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as a mentor in the training and development of less experienced staff when necessary
- Strong interpersonal communication, presentation, consultative, and negotiation skills
- Work professionally and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Provide input and guidance on individual claim matters
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrate good organization (detail oriented) and prioritization skills; meet deadlines, multitask
- Demonstrate sound judgment; strong decision making and problem solving skills
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically is required
Contribute to continued development and growth of our business unit by:
- Assisting in the servicing of our business in our efforts to satisfy service standards;
- Taking on database and report development in order to develop more underwriting tools;
- Engaging in effective interaction with underwriters and underwriting assistants in order to best assist them in day-to-day tasks;
- Learning the skills it will take to develop into an efficient and effective underwriter; and
- Becoming passionate about construction professional insurance.
The successful candidate will provide technical support to underwriting staff and will be responsible for:
- Backfilling Phoenix with all historical account data: we need to backfill all underwriting data for all bound HARMONY accounts and then begin backfilling all historical unbound account data for PERFORM, OPUS, and HARMONY;
- Creation and management of our large and target account database and a regional brokerage marketing plan
- Phoenix tidy-up and additional data capture (tidy-up coverage changes that occurred via mid-term transactions; assign a “Contractor Type” classification to all contractor accounts for the purposes of analyzing our portfolio by that dimension)
- Learn and become passionate about our business: If the intern can evidence the skills and aptitude to be part of our team, it is possible that they could join us in the future as we need young people to get excited about getting into the business.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Creates accurate and dependable financial reporting for the organization which adequately reflects the financial condition of the company.
- Assists with determination of loss and loss adjustment expense Incurred but Not Reported (“IBNR”) reserves for all lines of insurance.
- Conducts rate review, ratemaking, rate adequacy and price monitoring processes to achieve profitability and growth targets.
- Collaborate with the data science team to integrate predictive modeling into the ratemaking process
- Performs data, statistical and trend analysis.
- Delivers the actuarial perspective and spreads the analytical mindset in a credible manner.
- Collaborates on the long-range planning and forecasting of the company to maximize company performance over time.
- Prepares state rate, rule and product filings.
This two year internship opportunity provides experience in underwriting support services and exposure to underwriting. As a part of the internship, you will work with our Underwriting Services team learning about our Express Rate product. The duties will include:
- Processing applications through our online rating system will be the primary duty during the course of the internship. This will include working closely with our staff to ensure a quality product is delivered to our customers.
- Orientation to underwriting preparation: This will include exposure to industry specific resources such as proprietary rating programs, ReferenceConnect, AM Best, UW Workbench, Marshall Swift & Boeckh, Agency Portal, etc.
- Exposure to development opportunities (both industry specific and personal development) to include but not limited to Insurance self-study courses, online tutorials, etc.
Your second year experience will include:
- Continued work processing applications through our online rating system and providing feedback to 1st year interns on their application processing work. A key component of your second year will be working with the incoming class to assist them in learning the skills necessary for the internship program.
- Shadowing an Underwriter and learning more about the underwriting thought process.
- An opportunity to take an additional online CIC course outside the UACIC criteria.
- Shadowing Loss Control on visits, participating in agency visits, and exposure to regular business meetings.
- Exposure to the Regional Vice President and discussions on the operations of a Property & Casualty Insurance Carrier.
The Systems Administrator provides troubleshooting for infrastructure, networking, security and application issues. Demonstrates an understanding of all the business processes and system interfaces. Demonstrates problem solving skills that span the application, middleware and infrastructure. Ability to clearly communicate problem/resolution within the middleware team, customers and/or management.
- Analyze and identify potential issues with applications and middleware infrastructure.
- Assist in integrating new middleware technologies.
- Perform routine audits and backups of systems applications.
- Apply updates, patches, and configuration changes.
- Assist in installing and configuring new WebSphere Application Servers, WebSphere MQ, IIB, Automation Tools and systems applications.
- Ensure that the infrastructure is up and running.
- Responsible for working with the team on daily operational issues by working directly on incidents reported through the Service Desk system.
- Strong customer service skills, problem solving skills, issue identification and issue resolution.
- Must be able to assist in determining how changes impact customer and other systems.
- Primary interaction point is collaborating with Middleware team to deploy best practices and stewardship of resources.
- Participate and adhere to defined incident, problem and change management best practices.
- Assist team members with tasks such as maintaining system scripts, user/group administration, security, tuning, monitoring and configuration.
The Marine Claims Adjuster will evaluate and settle marine claims under moderate supervision. This includes the investigation, determination and evaluation of coverage, liability and damages as well as setting proper reserves. The adjuster will interact with various parties involved in the claims process (surveyors and attorneys) and handle claims consistent with our "best practices". Lines of business include brown water hull & machinery, protection & indemnity, marine general liability, terminal operator’s legal liability, wharfingers liability, builders risk and pilots liability.
The Finance Director reports to the Regional CFO and works closely with Finance personnel across the region.
This highly visible role is a strategic and hands-on role that requires solid financial and operational acumen, strong leadership skills and in-depth knowledge of finance disciplines to ensure seamless delivery of finance support and financial management in the region. Under the direction of the regional CFO, the Finance Director gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes financial results to ensure the achievement of short- and long-term financial goals. As a key member of the Finance team, the Finance Director will collaborate with management to assist in delivering comprehensive, consistent and actionable analysis in support of the creation and maintenance of the long-range financial plan, continuous improvement activities aimed to maximize profitability and ROE.
- Ensures the delivery of timely and accurate reporting of all the countries where we operate in the Latin America Region (monthly/quarterly/year-end financial reporting, USGAAP, management & statutory reporting).
- Supports regional management in the development, implementation and monitoring of key metrics (KPIs) to enable better understanding of results for timely and effective decision making purpose.
- Oversees the timely preparation and reporting of the region’s annual business plan.
- Ensures that the organization has the appropriate processes and controls in order to manage, measure and control the risk of the business, in compliance with corporate governance, regulatory / Sarbanes Oxley compliance, etc.
- Supports the timely delivery of complete and accurate financial information to external auditors / regulatory examiners in support of their audits / examinations.
- Supports the Spanish Holding entity in the areas of: accounting, tax, regulatory & legal, and external audit.
- Provides ad hoc financial analysis as needed, including but not limited to scenario modeling, capital budgeting, and financial due diligence.
- Becomes a trusted partner and advisor to regional management.
- Recommends, develops, and implements policies and programs that guide the organization in maintaining and improving its competitive position and profitability.
- Work with WRBC on group level projects / system changes impacting the region, as required.
Responsibilities will include reviewing workers' compensation, auto, liability and property claim files to determine if subrogation from any source is feasible. You will manage assigned claims with a value up to $50K, document and maintain claim files, pursue subrogation from adverse parties and negotiate settlements; strong knowledge of insurance/subrogation concepts, practices, procedures and techniques as well as negotiation, analytical and organizational skills required. Additionally, duties consist of developing a national subrogation network for frequency driven claims and inter-acting with various claim groups.
Do you want to be part of a dynamic and growing organization that encourages creativity, collaboration, innovation and individual expression? Are you an insurance professional who wants to think “outside the box” in creating products, underwriting and servicing customers? Berkley Mid - Atlantic is a dynamic company where, everyone’s voice counts and we expect to hear from everyone. If you want to work in a unique insurance company like no other, come explore career options with us.
- Gather appropriate information to profitably underwrite a variety of Middle Market commercial risks.
- Research, formulate and implement solutions for complex issues and accounts.
- Determine final coverages and pricing for commercial risks within assigned authority level.
- Review claims and loss information on individual risks. Use this information to identify and re-evaluate accounts and develop strategy for dealing with exposures and frequency issues.
- Take a lead role relative to Key Account review and recommendations.
- Take ownership of your underwriting territory through strong book management skills.
- Work to develop and maintain agency relationships with a focus on long-term profitability and growth.
- Work in collaboration with Loss Control partners to focus on controlling exposures and maintaining controls. Join Loss Control on visits with individual accounts.
- Maintain established quality and service standards.
- Establish strong working relationships with key producers.
- Mentor less experienced underwriters and serve as a resource for others within the department as needed.
- Successfully build, manage and execute a New Business Pipeline.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Keeps abreast of industry developments, particularly those which impact his or her area(s) of responsibility.
- Understands Berkley Mid-Atlantic’s business and the factors that affect its success.
- Communicates regularly and effectively.
Responsible for managing the underwriting workflow and processes for assigned book of business. Work with underwriters and producers in servicing commercial technology accounts.
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Handle renewal preparation on accounts within assigned territory as directed by underwriter and /or manager. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Preparing and analyzing account loss history reports
- Ordering and analyzing motor vehicle records
- Order and analyzing modeling to properly evaluate catastrophic exposures such as flood, earthquake and wind exposures
- Ordering risk control surveys
- Preparing risk analysis and working with underwriters to properly evaluate exposures on assigned book of business
- Review and analyze applications and obtain missing information from producers.
- Underwrite and process endorsements
- Communicate with agents on matters pertaining to renewal submissions, endorsement requests and other day to day service items.
- Provide clear instruction and guidance to support staff.
- Maintain records and prepare required reports on activity as needed.
- Document underwriting files to decisions.
- Operate according to underwriting authority as delegated by manager.
- May handle a book of renewal business depending upon experience.
- May perform other functions as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. These are functions that a person must be able to perform in the job, either unaided or with the assistance of a “reasonable accommodation”.
- Performs advanced analytics and modeling techniques including but not limited to generalize linear modeling and other forms of multivariate analysis. This role is expected to build, refine and improve existing models as well as develop new techniques and applications to different areas of the company.
- Identifies, retrieves, and prepares data in support of actuarial analysis through SQL, Essbase/SmartView, R and other data sources. Includes internal data (exposure, premium, loss, claims, price, etc.) and various forms of external data (bureau loss costs, bureau trends, macroeconomic data, market share, market pricing, etc.)
- Ensures the accuracy and suitability of data for the business need at hand. Manipulates data, performs preliminary analysis and interprets data through various analytics platforms. Summarizes and presents recommendations.
- Adapts and develops predictive models (both new and existing) using advanced techniques. This includes incorporating new variables, etc., in pursuit of a competitive advantage and creation of economic profit opportunities. Helps shape the overall advanced analytics strategy for the organization.
- Supports the transformation of business intelligence tools from static reporting to dashboards, increasing data visualization and availability, supporting cross-division collaboration and operationalizing advanced analytics.
- Supports the Actuarial function in identifying segments with profitable growth potential and underperforming segments. Assists in proposing corrective actions to improve profitability.
- In additional to regular modeling responsibilities, this person will use critical thinking skills and apply advanced modeling techniques, including but not limited to AI/Machine Learning, to provide insights and solve business problems including techniques such as classification and regression trees, random forests, neural networks, clustering, and other machine learning techniques.
- May participate in other departmental deliverables and activities such as enterprise risk management (including support for catastrophe management), reinsurance strategy and the traditional Actuarial techniques for rate reviews, loss reserving and planning. Provides innovation and leadership when applicable.
- Leads the innovation and efficiency efforts across all company departments.
- Provides support for two Berkley Operating Units: Berkley Luxury Group and Berkley Global Product Recall.
Basic Function and Scope:
Directly responsible for all operations and personnel issues in the claim department. Through file audits, employee appraisals or other avenues, monitors conformance of staff to company and industry standards, procedures and objectives.
- Responsible for providing day to day administrative and technical supervision and guidance to entire claims staff. Identifies and establishes workload standards.
- Develops procedures and policies to enhance and improve the processing, investigation, and settlement of claims. Reviews and approves settlements of complex and high dollar claims.
- Coordinates the administration of the quality control program to monitor and control department activities, and implements corrective actions as needed.
- Approves special handling procedures for specified accounts. Monitors staff for compliance with all statutory regulations, Unfair Claim Practices acts, Best Practices, and special handling instructions.
- Makes budget forecasts, performance reviews, and salary recommendations. Responsible for oversight of all staffing, training, and mentoring. Effectively communicates with all internal and external customers including corporate as required. Resolves personnel related problems within the department.
- For claims in litigation, tracks all scheduled trials, conducts department meetings for discussion of cases scheduled for trial, and decides which claims should proceed to trial. Maintains list of approved panel counsel attorneys and agreed rates. Directly handles those claims in litigation involving coverage disputes in which Berkley Entertainment or another Berkley company is a party.
- Reviews and approves all reservations of rights and denials of coverage for claims. Advises underwriting staff regarding coverage issues, and policy and endorsement form language.
- Directly supervises and mentors AVP’s and maintains a supervisor diary on their files.
- Responds to inquiries from regulatory agencies, and ensures department is in SOX compliance.
- Supports Company’s marketing efforts through account and broker visitations, timely service, designing of action plans to correct deficiencies and participates in presentations as required.
- Participates as an accountable member of the Management team and promotes company strategies and values.
This role is responsible for performing premium billing and cash receipts activities, collections, and collateral administration. Also, will perform various general ledger activities including journal entries, reconciliations and account analyses. Conduct Premium audits and control testing and reporting.
- Support agency and direct billing of premiums, commission payments and deductible
- Monitor payment, perform collections, apply cash receipts, reconcile agent statements, etc.
- Execute premium audits and correspond with insureds and producers
- Maintain and reconcile general ledger accounts
- Prepare journal entries and financial statement account analyses
- Collaborate and coordinate with underwriters, W.R. Berkley Company employees, auditors, agents and others as needed
- Support SOX controls testing and reporting
- Perform other duties and/or projects as assigned