The Sr. Splunk Engineer will be a member of the Berkley Information Security Architecture and Engineering team. This team is responsible for identifying, developing and deploying cybersecurity controls across Berkley, leveraging the firm’s assets, network and data to identify threats. This role will focus on loading data into Splunk, tuning and configuring Splunk Events, configuring and tuning User Behavioral Analytics (UBA) capabilities as well as leveraging Phantom security automation leveraging the Splunk suite of tools. The role requires a strong self-starter with a track record who can understand program objectives, standardized approach, and independently and proactively engage internal partners to align on an agreed upon solution.
Information Security has the responsibility of ensuring ingestion of various log types and data sources into our SIEM tool and production support of the environment. The role also involves use case development and ongoing upkeep per intel provided from various peer teams within the Cyber Security organization.
Preferred Employers Insurance is a member company of the W. R. Berkley Corporation, a Fortune 500 company rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best Company. Take your career to the next level and join us! Find out why we are the preferred workers’ compensation insurance solution for California employers.
We currently have a great opportunity for a Senior Workers’ Compensation Examiner to join our team! Our Senior Examiners are responsible for the analysis and management of complex workers’ compensation claims. This position will review, investigate, and make decisions regarding coverage, compensability, and appropriateness of claims. The position will process and document claims to ensure compliance with company standards, industry best practices, and legislative provisions. Acts in a fiduciary role on behalf of policyholders, negotiates claim settlements and manages subrogation. Senior Claims Examiner’s conduct the handling of claims in the utmost of good faith in compliance with the rules, regulations and statutes of the WCAB and State of California. The Senior Workers’ Compensation Examiner is expected to function with a degree of competency. The use of sound judgment coupled with consistent results is expected.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Analyzes and processes workers’ compensation claims by investigating and gathering information to determine the exposure on the claim.
- Negotiates settlement of claims up to designated authority level and makes claims payments.
- Processes complex or technically difficult claims.
- Calculates and assigns timely and appropriate reserves to claims and continues to manage reserve adequacy throughout the life of the claim.
- Calculates and pays benefits due; approves all claim payments; and settles claims within designated authority level.
- Develops and manages claims through well-developed action plans; continues to work the action plan to bring the claim to an appropriate and timely resolution.
- Prepares necessary state filings within statutory limits.
- Actively manages the litigation process; ensures timely and cost-effective claims resolution.
- Coordinates vendor referrals for additional investigation and/or litigation management.
- Uses appropriate cost containment techniques including strategic vendor partnerships to reduce overall cost of claims.
- Manages claim recoveries of all types, including but not limited to subrogation, Second Injury Fund recoveries, and Social Security offsets.
- Reports claims to the excess carrier, responds to requests of directions in a professional and timely manner.
- Frequently communicates with all appropriate parties involved with the claim.
- Refers cases as appropriate to management.
- Maintains professional client relationships.
- Actively executes appropriate claims activities to ensure consistent delivery of quality claims service.
The IT Analyst is part of a small team that provides deep and broard technology support to the Berkley Surety organization including: hardware/software management, responding to Ad Hoc reporting requests, business requirements gathering, unit/regression testing and user support and training. This position will also ensure that the company meets all State, Regulatory, and Corporate IT compliance requirements. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provides general IT support and assistance directly to users on all hardware, software, reports, and systems Berkley Surety supports. Manages BTS and others as needed to provide support as needed.
- Interacts and collaborates with others within the company to understand their needs to be able to provide cost and time estimates for priority decisions.
- Provides support, training and answers questions on core systems and data solutions.
- Identifies and documents business problems and inefficient applications and recommends alternative solutions.
- Responsible for procuring and tracking hardware and software purchases.
- Responsible for performing internal SOX Systems Auditing.
- Prepares business requirements for program development. Works with end-users and management to analyze, design, implement and/or support business applications and systems.
- Works with developers to answer any questions or clarify information on requirements.
- Performs Unit and Regression Testing of all supported systems and reports.
- Manages new system implementation rollout and provides training and documentation on new systems and processes.
- Manages projects and timelines to insure that requirements and timelines are met.
- Responsible for data calls and adhoc requests as needed.
- Performs a variety of tasks and works on special projects as assigned
This position will be providing data development at a moderately complex level such as ETL, cube creation, adhoc and management reporting, dashboard and data extract creation. This individual will work within a team environment that provides data resource development and support for several companies. They will be responsible for analyzing, designing and coding solutions for rapidly growing companies supporting the property & casualty insurance industry.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates a robust understanding of all business data processes/processing for a system, and the related data structures.
- Can produce significant new system functionality or defect resolution with minimal direction.
- Creates design specifications that demonstrate an understanding of most interfacing systems and supported business processes. (can understanding business processes go to the developer/analyst)
- Routinely proposes improvements to a data process and/or structure to improve supportability or usability.
- Can perform adequate peer review on any changes in the system.
- Can be consulted to provide recommendations to solve business issues based on experience and knowledge of current technology.
- Demonstrates understanding of data processes and/or structures.
- Will be required to communicate with employees primarily up to the mid-level within both company and client companies.
- May provide mentorship to others.
- May begin to develop sphere of influence with other teams.
- Will be required to communicate and coordinate within the team.
- May be responsible for on-call rotation.
- Some travel required up to 20%.
Design, communicate and advocate user experience concepts for new and existing products and features that can be applied to WR Berkley Corporation initiatives, by creating and refining visual designs, interaction designs and iconography as well as site architecture, wireframes and task flows.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with WR Berkley Corporation companies, business analysts, technical staff, and project team members to plan, design, develop, implement and enhance the user experience of applications.
- Identify industry best practices for user experience and ensure that they are leveraged throughout organization to address business and user goals.
- Develop, maintain and improve user interface design to ensure that WR Berkley Corporation is setting industry standards for excellence.
- Identify gaps in existing systems end-to-end user experience.
- Iterate and improve design processes and tools to measurably enhance productivity or product quality.
- Develop and support reusable interface concepts as part of the BTS Style Guide.
- Validate designs through reviews, usability testing and direct interaction with users and product managers.
- Travel less than 25%.
Leads company-wide initiatives around areas of privacy, business continuity, record retention, and reporting. Coordinates the organization's quality, security, and maintenance of data. Defines data elements and establishes policies & procedures related to the collection and accuracy of data, and performs tests on data systems. Ensures sufficient data quality is maintained so that the data will effectively support business processes.
- Act as Data Steward to define data elements, create data capture processes and procedures, maintain data quality, optimize workflows, monitor usage to assist teams and ensure compliance and security of the data.
- Manages and assists with monthly data loading and validation from third party systems.
- Leads Privacy Governance efforts – file security & content management.
- Orchestrates Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery Plans and compliance.
- Coordinates File retention (paper and electronic) management for third party administrators.
- Provides data extracts for Bureau & State Reporting – countrywide – for Admitted and Non-Admitted companies.
- Participate in onboarding of third party administrators to assess capabilities to meet the company’s data needs and define data specifications for data transfer.
- Collaborates with senior leaders and business associates as needed for information and analysis.
- Takes an active role in the develop of management reports and provide the most efficient access to data
- Consistently seeks to improve processes and information/data gathering that enables the business to make better overall decisions
- Tests software changes when requested by management.
- Assists in operational and data-related projects as assigned
Join our team of highly skilled Claims Examiners responsible for the analysis and management of workers’ compensation claims. Our Claims Examiners review, investigate, and make decisions regarding coverage, compensability, and appropriateness of claims; as well as process and document claims to ensure compliance with company standards, industry best practices, and legislative provisions. In this position you will act in a fiduciary role on behalf of policyholders, negotiate claim settlements and manage subrogation.
Our Claims Examiners conduct the handling of claims in the utmost of good faith in compliance with the rules, regulations and statutes of the WCAB and State of California. We function with a high degree of competency and sound judgment, coupled with consistent results!
Responsibilities for this opportunity include:
- Analyzing and processing workers’ compensation claims by investigating and gathering information to determine the exposure on the claim.
- Negotiating the settlement of claims up to designated authority level and making claims payments.
- Calculating and assigning timely and appropriate reserves to claims and continuing to manage reserve adequacy throughout the life of the claim.
- Calculating and paying benefits due; approving all claim payments; and settling claims within designated authority level.
- Developing and managing claims through well-developed action plans; continuing to work the action plan to bring the claim to an appropriate and timely resolution.
- Preparing necessary state filings within statutory limits.
- Actively managing the litigation process; ensuring timely and cost effective claims resolution.
- Coordinating vendor referrals for additional investigation and/or litigation management.
- Using appropriate cost containment techniques including strategic vendor partnerships to reduce overall cost of claims.
- Managing claim recoveries of all types, including but not limited to subrogation, Second Injury Fund recoveries, and Social Security offsets.
- Reporting claims to the excess carrier, responds to requests of directions in a professional and timely manner.
- Frequently communicating with all appropriate parties involved with the claim.
- Referring cases as appropriate to management.
- Maintaining professional client relationships.
- Actively executing appropriate claims activities to ensure consistent delivery of quality claims service.
- In collaboration with the marketing team, develop, execute, and manage integrated digital marketing campaigns for W.R. Berkley and our 50+ operating units (OUs) worldwide.
- Help create, build, execute and monitor email campaigns—establish metrics, monitor and report performance for each campaign.
- Help create, build, deploy and assess webinars using GoToWebinar
- Offer a solid understanding of Google Analytics and other digital marketing analytic tools to assess campaign metrics
- Working knowledge of automated marketing platforms such as HubSpot and Marketing Cloud, and the ability to collaborate and implement initiatives and campaigns within such platforms
- Execute corporate website changes as needed within Kentico
- Maintain and enhance the Corporate Marketing portal within SharePoint
- Identify trends, insights and emerging technologies within the digital marketing space that will best support the Berkley brand and its various operating units
- General support of corporate marketing initiatives that may not be digital in nature
The Customer Service Representative is responsible for learning company policy and procedure in relation to policy administration and claims first notice of loss. This representative provides a high level of customer service and also provides general administrative support to other departments such as premium audit, premium accounting, and underwriting. The Customer Service Representative must exhibit a degree of competency, productivity, timeliness and accuracy, while exercising appropriate judgment and must also be a team player.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Handle phone, email and live chat requests in a professional and courteous manner
- Resolve insured, broker and claimant inquiries with exceptional customer service
- Process premium audits & payments
- Create payment histories
- Assist callers with Company website and banking site login
- Obtain necessary information to create a claim and perform data entry to setup new claims, create activity notes and search database for coverage
- Send initial claim letters and forms to employers and injured workers
- Collaborate with other team members when assistance is needed
- Complete various related tasks and projects as assigned
The Clinical Cost Containment (CCC) RN position affords a seasoned Registered Nurse the ability to use his/her knowledge and experience in a unique and rewarding manner. CCC RNs provide consulting services for internal and external clients and their delegated entities. CCC RNs promote a thorough understanding of current and anticipated clinical needs and expected claims costs while facilitating the use of unique solutions to insure optimal care and claims outcomes. CCC RNs do not interact directly with patients. Our Clinical CCC RNs play in integral role in support of Berkley Accident and Health's vision to be recognized as the industry leader in risk management service. CCC RNs assure optimal clinical outcomes are obtained at a cost commensurate with the level of medical services rendered while also promoting client satisfaction and retention. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and maintain relationships with our Clinical team members, other BAH employees and external clients to further BAH's mission.
- Be responsible for the review of claims, trigger reports, and 50% notice reports to identify catastrophic diagnoses or cases of concern to identify cost savings opportunities.
- Work in conjunction with Claims department to obtain updated/additional clinical or financial information from the client (TPA, Policyholder, Broker).
- Collaborate closely with claims team and underwriters, providing ongoing education to better understand the risk and how to manage it.
- Collaborate with Cost Containment vendors in support of Policyholder optimal outcomes.
- Understand nuances of each line of business and adjust activities and interventions based on the uniqueness of each market segment.
- Serve as subject matter reference in our company’s cost containment programs, including but not limited to our interaction with TPAs, Claims, Sales, Underwriters, Client Representatives, and Brokers.
- Serve as a subject matter reference in analysis of transplant contracts, and provide guidance to the TPA/Case Managers in the selection of the best transplant contract for their client.
The Manager of Sales & Distribution – Los Angeles Territory in California is responsible for a specifically targeted areas within the region known as the Los Angeles Basin. This includes the region around Santa Monica/San Fernando Valley, Ventura/North LA up to Santa Barbara. Parts of Pasadena East to San Bernardino/West Riverside and all of Orange County. This role may at times, include some specific opportunities in the cities of Los Angeles/Long Beach. This role is all about sales solicitation, the sales management of assigned brokers/producers, generating million dollar program sales and developing strong relations with the territory’s agents and brokers. The role involves setting in motion mutually-agreed-to sales plans and driving the necessary strategies and marketing actions needed to maximize profitable growth for Preferred Employers in this territory. It has a dual-purpose/dual-role function representing both Preferred Employers Insurance Company and Preferred's general agency, Preferred Connect Insurance Center, LLC.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop, implement and drive targeted class code sales plans with both current brokers and new brokers to meet Preferred’s profitable growth goals.
- Identify, develop, implement, and manage program sales plans with target groups of business owners to meet both Preferred’s and Preferred Connect’s sales goals.
- Monitor new sales, retention, rate-adequacy and commission metrics monthly to ensure premium plan goal achievement.
- Works closely with all company departments to optimize Preferred’s brand offering to the marketplace.
- This is an "on-the-road"/high-relationship type function requiring lots of windshield time, high-level of communications skill, direct broker contact and direct selling contact with targeted prospects/clients.
- Job demands ongoing sales prospecting and finding qualifying deals originating from the territory.
- Expectation is that candidate will operate primarily out of their company-assigned automobile, their home office with monthly visits to the company’s headquarters in San Diego or as needed from time to time.
Berkley Aspire has an exciting opportunity for a Commercial Underwriting Manager who is looking to make a major contribution to a fast growing surplus lines company. In this role, the Underwriting Manager will lead our production underwriting team to meet production and underwriting, profit and loss goals. This individual will also coach and mentor their team in sales related, retail agency management, in order to seek out and secure opportunities that drive surplus lines insurance products.
- Responsible for all production and underwriting (profit/loss) results for the production underwriting team
- Lead and coach the production underwriting team through an advanced understanding of underwriting guidelines, state regulations, facultative reinsurance placement and OFAC regulations
- Conduct performance management duties including KPI analytics
- Participate on projects and initiatives as assigned by leadership
- Review claims activity, loss control survey, and inspection reports for compliance with existing policies, handling exceptions as required and recommending improvements
- Provide support to ensure accurate and timely servicing of accounts
- Collaborate with other departments to resolve issues
- Lead delivery of appropriate customer service levels
- Determine and lead delivery of training and development based on individual and unit needs - Coaches, develops and provides feedback to associates
- Manage relationships with WR Berkley regional carriers and territory teams – Work to initiate and execute cross selling strategies
- Assist the production underwriting team with development and execution of sound action plans to drive business from key agents
- Monitor, track and analyze the effectiveness of agency partnerships to support course corrections and decision making
Solve and troubleshoot problems related to desktop computers, laptops, and different systems. Install hardware and software systems on desktops and laptops. Reviews service tickets and identify opportunities for improvement. Work with and assist customers with installations, moves, adds, changes, refresh, testing and implementation of personal computer hardware/software systems for small projects. Assists with problem determination and isolation of PC hardware/software networks. Utilizes help desk call tracking and problem resolution software and thoroughly documents problem resolution. Resolves issues utilizing excellent customer service skills, problem solving skills, technical thinking/reasoning skills, and a high level of individual judgment to ensure outcomes of customer satisfaction.
The role of Executive Underwriter is to provide technical assistance in the Home Office Underwriting Department on special projects, product development, form and endorsement development, underwriting audits, corporate initiatives, training and development and product specific research while also acting as a referral authority, mentor and trainer to the underwriting team.
- Handle account referrals outside of individual underwriter authority
- Make sound risk and pricing decisions to drive profitable growth and achieve business objectives
- Assist the management team with training, mentoring and coaching of new associates and less experienced team members
- Assist the management team in the overall development and communication of underwriting appetite
- Assist the management team with developing and refining Underwriting and Pricing Guidelines
- Assist the management team in new product development efforts to include initiation, research and implementation of new products as well as product/process enhancements
- In coordination with the management team, participate in the development and execution of annual business plans for the division to include a profitable underwriting strategy
- Lead research projects on trends impacting our business
- Participate in book profitability analyses and corresponding action plan development
- Stay abreast and knowledgeable on market trends and conditions to guide our business and achieve objectives
- Lead the Underwriting Audit/Quality Control (QC) process to drive underwriting quality including:
Daily review of ‘bound’ new business to confirm the unit is maintaining underwriting integrity
Daily review of ‘declined’ accounts to ensure opportunities are not being missed
- Assist in the development of forms and endorsements and lead the coordination with Claims and Legal to finalize wording
- Lead and participate in projects and initiatives as assigned by leadership
- Other special projects/duties as assigned
We are seeking a proven leader with deep knowledge of data strategy, data science, data governance, business information, advanced analytics, and related technology; and experience in the property and casualty insurance and reinsurance industry.
This position offers the opportunity to create a Center of Excellence to facilitate a data driven decision making culture; to implement a data strategy and governance program to obtain, protect and provide data; and to define and implement strategy for use of both basic and advanced analytics including artificial intelligence (machine learning and deep learning) to produce quality analytics and predictive modeling.
- Create and lead Data, Information and Analytics Center of Excellence.
- Organize and chair advisory board to execute the WRBC data, information and analytics strategy, provide sponsorship and oversight for governance policy and analytic project success.
- Data and Information responsibilities:
- Define, coordinate and maintain Berkley Data Warehouse the "single source of truth" structured data required for financial reporting and regulatory compliance.
- Create policies and controls for appropriate protection of information assets through life cycle, from acquisition or creation to destruction. Define, manage and advance information management principles. Develop policies and programs for stewardship and custodianship of data, controls for master data and metadata management.
- Oversee integration and staging of data, and development and maintenance of data lakes, data warehouse and data marts used throughout WRBC. Design the use strategy, governance and process for the Hadoop Data Lake.
- Expand availability and use of internal data (both structured and unstructured). Make decisions about information value, quality and reliability. Develop strategy for data access for analysis and to leverage data across WRBC. To facilitate the evolution of self-service data preparation and analytics - Figure out ways to "let more people have it".
- Expand availability and use of external data (both structured and unstructured). Research and keep current on data available from external sources and lead efforts to acquire, make usable and provide access. Ensure quality, traceability, timeliness, usability and cost-effectiveness.
- Analytics responsibilities:
- Set annual project plan based on input from Segment heads and Operating Units. Projects focus on enhancing profitability and business functions (e.g., claims, pricing, risk selection, premium audit selection, submission triage) but also may be exploratory to answer business questions.
- Develop individual project plans, timetables and deliverables. With IT and Business (including actuarial) ensure that plan addresses data collection, model iteration, validation and operationalizing both model and model results. Regularly communicate project status vs plan.
- Keep a log/catalogue of projects, code and models so that knowledge can be shared.
- Establish best practices for model use and validation as well as for basic analytics for business intelligence purposes.
- Keep abreast of latest machine and deep learning tools, methodologies and data sets (open source and proprietary). Test and evaluate.
- Provide input and counsel to operating units. Provide quality control via peer review Operating Unit models and algorithms, etc.
- Provide regular forums for sharing of information (e.g., analytics forums and showcases). Provide training as needed for actuaries and citizen data scientists on R and other tools.
- Responsibilities are carried out in conjunction, with IT, Compliance, Finance, Actuarial and Other Business Leaders.
Berkley One, a Berkley company that caters to affluent Personal Lines insurance clients, is rapidly expanding and seeking a Multi-line Claims Adjuster who will be responsible for quality and timely handling and resolution of moderately complex claims in a professional manner. This role will be situated in our Wilmington, DE office.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Handle first and third party personal lines homeowners liability, auto bodily injury, first party medical/PIP and auto physical damage claims of moderate complexity as assigned
- Appropriately manage claims through coverage analysis, investigation, reserving and resolution
- Identify and address coverage issues, complete investigation to determine cause & exposure, set timely reserves and develop detailed action plans
- Negotiate and convey claim settlements within authority limits
- Establish validity of claims submitted for payment through coverage research and contact with policyholders, claimants and outside parties
- Research and locate additional information and documentation to investigate, evaluate and properly resolve claims
- Write denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other correspondence
- Maintain an effective diary system and document claim file activities in accordance with established procedures
- Pro-actively manage file inventory to ensure timely resolution of cases
- Deliver exceptional customer service to meet the needs of the insured, agent and all internal and external customers
- Perform administrative functions such as expense accounts and time off reporting as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
Manage an assigned underwriting territory to achieve profitable growth, including underwriting new business, renewals, endorsements and other transactions. Identify new business opportunities and manage agency relationships.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop relationships and educate agents within agency plant to maximize opportunities and achieve profitable growth.
- Initiate outbound calls to agencies to identify sales opportunities and collect agent intelligence.
- Achieve new business premium, renewal premium retention and rate change objectives.
- Within company guidelines and granted underwriting authority, evaluate new and renewal account information to determine risk acceptability, terms / conditions to be quoted, and pricing.
- Make sound risk and pricing decisions that achieve profitable loss ratios.
- Maintain underwriting quality score of 90% or greater. Document underwriting file to support acceptability and pricing in accordance with company guidelines.
- Achieve customer service standards, including established objectives for:
- New business quote turnaround
- Renewal quotes
- Endorsement, cancellation, audits and other transactions
- Policy issuance
- Provide detailed issuance instructions to ensure policy is delivered consistent with quoted terms and conditions and in accordance with established guidelines relative to policy construction.
- Review mid-term endorsement requests for acceptability and provide instructions for processing.
- Evaluate premium audit referrals to determine class acceptability and/or appropriateness of current exposure base. Adjust current term with acceptable changes to ensure company gets timely payment of adequate premium.
- Order and review inspections to confirm accounts written are consistent with preliminary underwriting information and takes action when the inspection reveals unacceptable risk characteristics.
- Assist with training, mentoring and coaching of less experienced team members.
- Determine if facultative reinsurance is needed and if so, factor reinsurance cost in gross pricing, complete cession procedures; documentation file, and follow established workflow procedure to ensure proper reporting / accounting.
- Utilize various underwriting tools to:
- Determine acceptable risk characteristics
- Determine accurate exposure classifications
- Set adequate property limits to accomplish appropriate insurance to value
- Rate and quote business to agents
- Support other underwriters as assigned when the other underwriter is traveling or out on vacation / sick time.
Primarily responsible for the underwriting and issuance of small commercial business that meets our exposure-based definition. Seeks guidance in underwriting accounts whose requirements fall outside of established standards and guidelines and/ or authority. Goals are focused on supporting small commercial key business objectives including account retention and growth. Team with the Sales Executive to handle the majority of individual account activities related to new business underwriting, quoting, policy issuance and renewal management. This position does not lead others.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluation of complex new, renewal and endorsement activities to accept, modify, decline and price accounts
- Provide excellent customer support to agents and internal stakeholders
- Ensure that production and loss ratio goals are achieved through effective managing of new business through automated process and sound agent communication
- Respond to issues and challenges that affect production and profit ratio objectives. Take corrective action and/or
refers the problem (with recommendation) to Commercial Team Leader, Underwriting Director or Vice President
- Partner with Sales Executive to create a business plan for assigned territory with an emphasis to develop strong retention and profitable new business pipeline
- Thinks like an owner and executes with high degree of accountability for self and organization
- Acts as a referral for more complex renewals, endorsements that fall outside the Underwriting Assistant’s authority
- Pro-actively seek to retain key renewals by working closely with agents and brokers
- Participate in projects/assignments which support policy service and production objectives with respects to sales, underwriting, retention and customer service goals
- Responsible for insuring compliance with underwriting strategies and regulatory requirements