Click column header to sort
POSITION SUMMARY: The Underwriting Intern will work in a hybrid (some days in office, some days virtual – TBD) environment training with key team members to learn and participate in the process of underwriting and servicing of renewal accounts for the development and retention of Admiral business. The duration of the internship is approximately ten weeks.
This temporary based position requires strong analysis skills applied in learning the evaluation and pricing of Admiral renewal business in accordance with service standards, objectives, and following Admiral underwriting guidelines.
As the Underwriting Services Supervisor, you'll be instrumental in supporting CWG’s business plan goals of profitability, managed growth and enhanced competitive advantage. We'll trust you to provide guidance to high performing team of Associate Underwriters while also managing a book of business within the team. You'll ensure professional and prompt underwriting service is provided to customers while collaborating with Staff in the underwriting of all lines of business. There will be a focus on ensuring accuracy and quality for classification of business, policy contract forms and the pricing of risk. We'll look to you to analyze production, loss experience and competitive marketing data which often leads to the development and implementation of action plans to maximize opportunities.
We'll count on you to:
- Recruit, train and mentor underwriting staff to assure excellence in customer service, quality, profitability and productivity
- Provide frequent and specific constructive feedback to develop talented professionals
- Interview, hire, and train employees; plan, assign, and direct work; appraise performance; reward and discipline employees; address issues and resolve problems.
- Leverage team meetings to share information and promote best practices amongst the staff.
- Serve as a technical underwriting resource and underwrites accounts exceeding authority level of staff.
- Underwrite commercial property and casualty accounts with low-hazard exposures. Ensure policies are underwritten utilizing established underwriting workflows, processes and service standards.
- Monitor and report on material changes within the market by reviewing industry periodicals and journals, legislative actions and court decisions. Provides necessary reports to management and staff.
- Deliver special projects and other duties as assigned by management.
The Underwriting Director reports to the Chief Underwriting Officer and manages an assigned commercial underwriting function and staff through delegation of underwriting authority.
The Senior Underwriter - Casualty, will work in a team setting generating, underwriting and analyzing accounts for development of new and renewal commercial casualty business.
- Compliance with underwriting documentation rules and guidelines.
- Maintain an acceptable underwriting profit.
- Adherence to Admiral underwriting guidelines and referral compliance.
- Development and maintenance of key broker/agent relationships.
- Participates in all internal company training and continuing education.
- Remains current on product releases as it pertains to Commercial Casualty.
- Leads strategic marketing calls to key brokers (up to 25%).
- Management and development of business and broker relationships new to the organization.
- Stay abreast and knowledgeable on market trends in terms of forms, coverage and appetite to maintain competitiveness.
- Active mentorship and training of Associate Underwriters and Underwriters.
- Act as a referral authority for Associate Underwriters and Underwriters.
Consults with client companies to gather business requirements to bridge the needs of the business with the use of IT. This includes determining client and organizational needs, system and operational requirements, downstream system impacts, and legal compliance obligations.
- Works with end users and internal staff to develop and translate business requirements for project deliverables.
- Answers developer and end user questions through the development life cycle.
- Completes functional testing on assigned projects.
- Develops customer relationships and has understanding of how corporation/company operates.
- Clarifies and escalates issue gaps through the change control process.
- Provides end-user training and product presentations.
- Suggests improvements in processes used for requirements gathering, design specifications, and software implementations.
- Some travel required up to 15%.
As an Intern our Berkley Technology Services (BTS) Collaboration Technologies team, you’ll gain exposure to a suite of cloud technologies that spans Microsoft Office 365, SharePoint, Teams, One Drive, and more. You’ll partner with a team of engineers with expertise across each of these verticals to directly support those systems, learning the technologies themselves and the dependencies that need to be considered in order to ensure a healthy IT platform. You’ll also engage directly with end-users, considering their needs along with those of the business to suggest and support opportunities to improve business processes that drive our bottom line.
Some of your key projects could include:
- Assisting with the administration of our SharePoint Online and Teams platforms, which would include some design and development work along with opportunities to introduce process improvements.
- Ensuring newly identified measurements are added to our Shared Services Dashboard.
- Supporting Microsoft 365 Administration projects that related to our messaging and mobility platforms, ensuring our users are able to connect their mobile devices to consume and securely access internal sites and applications.
- Managing the team’s SharePoint site, retiring older documents, ensuring updated documents become Service Now Knowledge articles, and creating new process documentations for incorporation into technical support workflows.
- Gaining direct exposure to SharePoint workflows such as Power Automate and other workflow automation tools.
- Provisioning and integrations to business processes.
The Underwriting Associate is responsible and accountable to manage their own portfolio of renewal business. The successful candidate will be expected to work closely with their assigned brokers and Berkley Luxury Group underwriters to maximize profitability and growth of their book and the main point of contact for inforce business. All activities are delivered in a manner consistent with a focus on customer service, quality, and timeliness. Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Analyzing renewal business and execution of underwriting and pricing strategy
- Verifying data from numerous internal and external sources and evaluating impact to overall projected profitability of the risk
- Independently gathering and reviewing account specific information and summarizing findings to help make critical decisions
- Reviewing Loss Control and valuation reports to ensure adequate risk management measures are in place and buildings are properly insured to value
- Managing account processing and servicing for designated accounts within their individual level of authority
- Effectively communicating with brokers, underwriting and other individuals to secure the necessary information to accurately complete transactions
- Maintaining a strong working knowledge of all software applications that support the underwriting role and responsibilities
- Communicating with claims and accounting to resolve open issues or provide requested information
- Providing a high level of customer service and achieving or exceeding departmental service level standards
- Maintaining strong working relationships with colleagues and management staff
- Actively participating in team discussions, problem solving and best practice development
- Contributing to the continuous improvement of processes and procedures
- All other duties as assigned
Internship and Development Program- in partnership with the State of Iowa 2023 Insure Your Future Program!
Continental Western Group’s internship program immerses you in a variety of insurance business fields, tests your skills, enhances your business knowledge, encourages networking and offers assignments/projects in specific areas of study.
The CWG internship and development program seeks high potential candidates that demonstrate creativity, curiosity, innovativeness, entrepreneurial spirit and appropriate risk taking. The program provides access to the company’s senior leaders while also introducing a broad overview of insurance operations in claims, marketing, underwriting, analytics and the independent agency system.
The program was developed to provide interns with a valuable, rewarding experience and help connect the knowledge from academics with the reality of today’s insurance careers.
The first phase of a CWG internship includes an introduction to CWG and the W. R. Berkley Corporation including the historical path of our 100 year old company.
General training about CWG’s product, distribution channel and company-specific business processes will lay the groundwork for an intern’s comprehensive learning experience. Technical training necessary to perform analysis and complete program projects will follow the general training. Sessions focused on developing innovation, creativity, risk taking and entrepreneurial drive will be held regularly for all program interns.
Each intern may be assigned to a business area within CWG such as Claims, Underwriting, Actuarial, Marketing or Finance. After completing the general rotational training, interns will manage project responsibilities specific to this designated department.
The CWG internship program will include social activities aimed at building strong networking relationships with fellow interns and CWG staff. Activities may include CWG key management sessions, team-building, and volunteer/community service opportunities.
So what do you want your experience to be? At CWG, we’re dedicated to making your time with us unique and rewarding! Competitive pay, exposure to the complete business operation, real responsibility, fun activities, and full-time employment opportunities!
To evaluate (selection and pricing) and maintain (control) risk acceptability and profitability within the company’s underwriting guidelines and procedures for commercial risks with a focus on non-admitted General Liability for middle market construction risks. Manage and maintain good Wholesale Broker relationships. Meet and maintain the production, profitability, and service standards established for the company.
- Adhere to underwriting authority level as per on file with Manager.
- Gather underwriting information to properly evaluate commercial risks for acceptability within company guidelines. Underwrite for profit.
- Meet/Exceed production, profitability, and service targets.
- Ability to research and solve more complicated problems and make decisions.
- Determine final coverages and pricing for commercial risks.
- Review claims and loss information on individual risks. Use this information to identify and re-evaluate accounts and develop strategy for dealing with exposures and frequency issues.
- As a team with the Manager, manage the portfolio profitability and identify favorable and unfavorable classes of business.
- Maintain quality and time standards as established.
- Be informed/knowledgeable of industry issues and activities through formal educational processes to develop underwriting skills.
- Identify and cultivate brokers with new business opportunities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The payroll administrator is responsible for all aspects of payroll processing and preparation in a fast-paced environment for all domestic US employees for multiple Operating Units and states. The Administrator ensures accuracy and efficiency of multi state and multi company payrolls, levels of customer service, data integrity, and calculating special payments (incentives and bonuses) consistent with local, state and federal wage and hour laws.
• Performs all activities necessary to process multiple semi-monthly payrolls, including filing tax reports, processing levies and garnishments, reviewing Workday integration data for accuracy, preparing payroll transactions and preparing special reports
• Proactively identifies areas for process improvement, innovation and opportunities for efficiency and synergy
• Calculates New Hire, Termination and Leave of Absence payroll transactions
• Prepares and processes payroll via Workday Payroll. Responsible for payroll review and coordination of any necessary research or contact with payroll vendor
• Monitors submissions of approved Workday timesheet data
• Processing RSU/Dividend/Deferred Compensation Payments
• Resolving payroll discrepancies, answering questions, and responding to requests for payroll information.
• Working with OSV and ADP to process all required payroll tax amendments as required
• Processing semi-monthly funding and resolution of file errors with Fidelity.
• Processing semi-monthly benefits funding and resolution of file errors
• Effectively and professionally communicates payroll-related matters to all levels of staff and management, including the most senior levels of management
• Ensure company payroll matters are anticipated and addressed in a proactive fashion
• Perform compliance checks on payroll-related matters (against both legal and company policy requirements) and reporting violations
• Employee Self Service administration and login troubleshooting
• Establish/maintain employee records according to policy and in compliance with federal/state/local regulations
• Troubleshooting of Direct Deposit Banking Issues/ACH Rejects
• Provide necessary support to human resources, accounts payable, corporate accounting, and payroll-related and tax-related vendors
• Review and reconcile company payroll invoices as necessary, for accuracy
• Implement and assure compliance with wage and hour laws and company policies related to payroll.
• Providing required KPMG Sox/Audit data.
• Ensure the accuracy, validity, and timeliness of all payroll-related tax filings and tax issuances (such as the annual W-2s).
• Ensure proper quarterly state and earning by state reporting.
• Provide the Workers Compensation Audit detail to our Workers Compensation vendor annually.
• Provide the Annual Finance Economic Census Report Data to the corporate finance team.
• Additional duties as assigned
Key Functions will include but not limited to:
- Timely complete premium audits for assigned accounts and transmit for processing.
- Follow all NCCI, State Bureau and Company guidelines in the completion of audits.
- Notify internal teams (underwriter, risk manager, Area Vice President, etc) of concerns with assigned accounts.
- Support Key Risk’s hybrid audit approach, while using best judgement in determining. whether to travel for an audit.
- Research, respond to and revise (when appropriate) disputed audits.
- Respond to underwriter, insured and agency partner requests regarding premium audits
- Perform classification research for underwriters, insureds and agency partners for assigned accounts.
- Per Company guidelines, provide copies of audit billing and worksheets, ensuring confidentiality of shared audit data.
- Daily telephone and email communication with agency partners, insureds and internal team members.
- Advise Premium Audit Manager of trends identified in audits.
- Participate in software testing, including current and future audit platforms, policy systems, claims systems and related business intelligence software.
The Senior Catastrophe Modeling Analyst will be part of team that has expertise in natural hazards, catastrophe risk, and insurance risk modeling. This is an opportunity for a candidate with up to 10 years of catastrophe modeling experience.
The primary functions of the role include:
• Modeling US natural perils and terrorism accumulations for property and workers’ compensation business lines for several of the Group’s operating companies
• Communicating modeling results with the operating companies, and assisting them in fully utilizing these results in their pricing and exposure management
• Maintain regular communication with the operating companies to understand business needs
• Contribute and provide data and information to support rating agency returns and reinsurance placements
• Become active participant in catastrophe management team by sharing knowledge, expertise, and information
• Collating and reporting on catastrophe aggregations
• Assisting with corporate reporting on catastrophe modeling
• Assisting in the development of broad exposure-based models to estimate potential natural peril losses in business lines that do not fit within the commercial cat models
• Developing and implementing reporting and data solutions using SQL Server
• Participating in the design of operations and procedures to improve Catastrophe Modeling process
• In-depth validation of vendor catastrophe models including evaluation of new model releases
• Assist in Group assessment of potentially exposed policies during “live” catastrophe events
This challenging and rewarding role involves a high level of interaction with our operating companies, providing catastrophe modeling and analysis through the entire modeling cycle.
Our software engineering teams leverage Agile development principles, advanced development and design practices, and an obsession over continuous deployment to deliver fast paced solutions. As a software development engineer intern, you'll support development of applications that are revolutionizing underwriting and claims. Your summer experience will enhance your business skills and you will be contributing directly to our goals and objectives.
The 10-week summer internship program provides emerging talent with hands-on experience with the commercial insurance industry, enabling you with skills to be successful going forward
Specific responsibilities will vary; your experience will include:
- Delivering Results. You will obsess about taking initiatives to completion. We will ask you to constantly re-assess what we have built to make sure we are realizing actual value.
- Continuous Learning. You will find ways to bring in new frameworks and tech into our stack. You help us find faster ways to accomplish tasks.
- Challenging Status Quo. For various processes, we will expect you to understand what we do and why we do it. Then we will ask you to work across Business, Operations, Design, Data, and Engineering teams to reimagine how.
The Underwriter will be responsible for marketing, producing, pricing and underwriting product recall business on a profitable basis from brokers based in the U.S. in accordance with the company’s underwriting guidelines.
The ideal location for this hire will be in either New York, Hartford, CT or Chicago, IL but other locations will also be considered and especially for candidates with deep Product Recall experience.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Market Product Recall business to existing and new brokers
- Produce same from existing and new broker base
- Price and underwrite product recall business
- Interface with claims as necessary
- Travel to industry events and broker meetings as necessary
- Conduct both self and peer audits
- Proactively review insurance offerings including wordings, proposal forms and endorsements
The Identity and Access Management Systems Engineer is responsible for all IAM related activities and architecture, including support and care of existing IAM systems. Design and build of new systems, working closely with shared services teams, applications teams, and business units to meet support and project goals.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- In-depth experience with Okta, Federation, SSO & MFA technologies
- Creation and Continuous Improvement on RBAC for both on prem and Azure functionality
- Scripting (PowerShell) / Automation of I&AM Practices
- ADFS Experience
- understanding and ability to communicate the access control mechanisms for REST API’s
- Serve as liaison to vendors (e.g. Microsoft, Okta,etc ) to facilitate problem resolution.
- Work with application teams to understand Okta and SSO integration abilities
- Participate in an IAM strategy and roadmap for enterprise stakeholders.
- Serve as an Engineer on engagements and work directly with Project Management, Account Management, and Customer teams.
- Ability to speak confidently about the role of authn and authz
- Develop the planning, and assist in the implementation of policies and procedures to ensure system provisioning and maintenance is consistent with company goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols, and standards in support of systems software procurement and development efforts.
- Exposure with NTLM, Windows-Integrated Auth, Kerberos
- Manage end user accounts, permissions, access rights, and storage allocations in accordance with best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Participate and adhere to defined incident, problem and change management best practices.
- Proficient communication skills particularly across functional technical areas.
- Mentor and cross train other team members in key skill sets.
A leadership role with responsibility for the coordination and implementation of the Underwriting review process. Extensive and diversified technical property, casualty and specialty underwriting experience will be utilized to evaluate W. R. Berkley’s Business Units’ underwriting practices and procedures based on their business strategies, focus, guidelines and financial return goals. The Leader will work with a team of underwriting experts from other W. R. Berkley Business Units or outsourced partners and communicate results and value-added recommendations to Senior Management.
Reviews include examination of individual underwriting files for: risk selection; underwriting; pricing, use and adequacy of rating models; wordings including coverage provided and other terms and conditions; rate rule and form compliance; limits management; use of loss control and/or risk management, use of facultative reinsurance; and quoting, binding and issuance process. In addition, the process can include an evaluation of the management of producers and distribution channels, delegated underwriting authorities, service standards, aggregations, exposures, emerging issues and interaction with Claims and Actuarial functions.
• Lead a value-added Underwriting review process that provides Management with an independent assessment of the Underwriting practices of the Business Unit’s portfolio and/or a specific class of business.
• Develop and maintain relationships and communication with corporate Segment Heads, Actuaries, SVP Enterprise Risk Management and Corporate Claims.
• Continuously improve the Underwriting review process and reporting procedures through automation, standardization and a current understanding of the underwriting environment, market conditions, competition and other factors facing the industry.
• Ensure that reviews are well planned, thorough and useful and achieve the goals of confirming and enhancing underwriting, risk selection, pricing and processes at Business Units
• Maintain and improve necessary skills to conduct a review and report on the underwriting practices, pricing, and risk selection.
• Utilize product level knowledge to consider whether the Business Unit’s pricing and underwriting policies and other procedures are applied correctly and consistently.
• Assess the effectiveness of the organizational structure, staffing, and management information.
• Analyze key performance metrics in order to determine whether the Business Units are achieving Operating Plans and goals.
• Staff and plan the review (reviews are primarily staffed with Underwriters from W. R. Berkley’s other Business Units).
• Lead interviews with departmental personnel and Senior Management.
• Coordinate the work of the review team members.
• Document the work performed and the findings.
• Identify opportunities for improvement.
• Lead closing meetings and deliver feedback.
• Prepare written reports and recommendations.
• Follow- up on implementation of recommendations.
W. R. Berkley companies nationwide are seeking professional and enthusiastic college graduates to join our Commercial Claims Adjuster Training Programs. Candidates hired into these developmental roles will learn the fundamental principles of commercial lines claims handling. They will gain an understanding of the claims thought process and learn to utilize established guidelines from first notice of claim, investigation, reserving, mediation and litigation of claims. Trainees participate in structured classroom instruction, self-paced eLearning activities, special projects and on-the-job shadowing of exceptional professionals that provide excellent opportunities to learn the business and jump start their careers in insurance. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing technical support to claims staff
- Participating in various claims meetings and educational activities
- Investigating claims made by insureds and claimants including but not limited to proper coverage determination, 24-hour contacts and taking recorded statements
- Evaluating and negotiating settlements including denial of claims either not covered or where no liability exists obtaining proper forms and documents
- Establishing and maintaining proper reserving throughout the life of the claim file, maintaining appropriate diary schedules of all claims in the care and custody of the adjuster
- Evaluating estimates and bills for accuracy and applicability to coverage relating to the claims submitted
- Completing necessary reporting forms to procedure on a daily basis
- Properly entering claim reserves and claims payments
- Initiating subrogation and disposing of salvage according to established procedures
- Informing Underwriting Department of risk hazards discovered through investigation of claims and communicating up regarding claims of a severe nature or exceeding settlement authority
- Directing defense attorneys and independent adjusters on claims in litigation or that require outside assistance,
- Attending mediations and settlement conferences
W. R. Berkley companies nationwide are looking for professional and enthusiastic college students to join their organizations as Claims Interns who will work closely with key team members to learn and participate in all aspects of claims handling for the business. This is a summer internship, approximately 10-12 weeks in length. Duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Deepen understanding of Commercial Property and Casualty policies in order to evaluate coverage for claims.
- Initiate handling of new claims in order to implement coverage and claim evaluation skills.
- Attend Claims Committee and underwriting meetings.
- Learn litigation management of claims.
- Conduct research projects.
- Assist Claims Managers and Superintendents as needed.
W. R. Berkley companies nationwide are seeking professional and enthusiastic college graduates to join our Commercial Lines Underwriter Training Programs.
For company and location specific opportunities, please search our careers site using key word TRAINEE.
Trainees learn the fundamental principles of underwriting commercial lines insurance. Key funtions include but are not limited to:
- Providing technical support to underwriting staff
- Participating in various underwriting meetings and educational activities
- Aiding in the building of superior distribution partnerships with agents and brokers;
- Analyzing applications, determining acceptability of risk in accordance with Company guidelines and practices in order to assist underwriting with the appropriate underwriting decisions;
- Analyzing quality, quantity, and profitability of risks underwritten and preparing reports for underwriting and management review;
- Assisting in the management of the commercial property and casualty lines of business to achieve the goals and objectives established. Ensuring continued profitable growth;
- Executing special projects in pursuit of enhanced operational excellence, delivery of valuable external marketing materials, and portfolio analysis reporting;
- Self-study in pursuit of appropriate professional insurance designations
- Assisting with product development in creation of innovative products and services to introduce to the market;
- Interacting with the marketplace through frequent attendance of regional client and producer meetings
W. R. Berkley companies nationwide are seeking professional and enthusiastic college students to join their teams as Underwriting Interns who work closely with key team members to learn and participate in the process of underwriting and servicing new and/or renewal commercial insurance accounts. This is a summer internship, approximately 8-12 weeks in length. Duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Deepen understanding of Commercial Property and Casualty risks in order to profitably underwrite
- Initiate handling of new and renewal business submissions
- Learn how to evaluate and price various types of accounts
- Attend underwriting and claims committee and underwriting meetings.
- Learn why and how accounts fail the underwriting process
- Participate in quoting, policy issuance and meetings with brokers and insureds
- Conduct research projects.
- Assist Underwriting team as needed.