Business analysts are communicators, facilitators, subject matter experts, designers, trainers, planners, and more. They are responsible for facilitation of projects and project meetings, requirements definition and documentation services on technology projects for Company. They work closely with technology developers, quality assurance analysts and business subject matter experts to capture business requirements. Will be responsible for performing some Sarbanes Oxley testing.
• Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, business analysis, task and workflow analysis.
• Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguish user requests from the underlying true needs.
• Proactively communicate and collaborate with external and internal customers to analyze information needs and functional requirements and deliver the following artifacts as needed:
• Functional requirements (Business Requirements Document)
• Use Cases
• UI designs / wireframes
• Utilize your experience in using enterprise-wide requirements definition and management systems and methodologies required.
• Successfully engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously.
• Work independently with users to define concepts and under direction of project managers and/or lead Business Analysts.
• Drive and challenge business units on their assumptions of how they will successfully execute their plans.
• Strong analytical and product management skills required, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
• Serves as the conduit between the customer community (internal and external customers) and the software development team through which requirements flow.
• Develop requirements specifications according to standard templates, using natural language.
• Collaborate with developers and subject matter experts to establish the technical vision and analyze tradeoffs between usability and performance needs.
• Be the liaison between the business units, technology teams and support teams.
• Supports and/or participates heavily in the development of training materials.
• Performs Sarbanes Oxley testing as directed in support of requests made by CFO.
• Prepares weekly activity report for Manager.
• Other duties may be assigned.
Responsible for completing rate reviews and actuarial indications, completing regular estimates of adequate loss and expense reserves, participating in the company’s planning processes, and providing tools and analysis in support of pricing personal lines products. The Actuarial Analyst will work on pricing for new products and new geographies.
- Adapts and develops rating methodologies for both existing and new company products using advanced techniques to incorporate new variables, etc., in pursuit of a competitive advantage and creation of economic profit opportunities.
- Performs competitor data and pricing reviews.
- Identifies, retrieves, and prepares data in support of actuarial analysis through SQL, R, and other data sources. Includes internal data (exposure, premium, loss, claims, price, etc.) and various forms of external data.
- Ensures the accuracy and suitability of data for the business need at hand. Reviews data, performs preliminary analysis and interprets data through Excel or other analytics platforms and presents recommendations.
- Works on state reviews and roll-out of new states, reviewing competitor data, performing actuarial analysis of the data and creating filings.
- Works on the actuarial component of the company’s planning processes (Loss and LAE ratios).
- Identifies segments with profitable growth potential; identifies underperforming segments and proposes corrective actions to improve profitability.
- Participates in enterprise risk management initiatives, including support for catastrophe management. Provides innovation and leadership when applicable.
- Helps build and develop profitability monitoring reports. Responsible for maintaining monthly / quarterly updates.
- Occasional overnight travel.
The Underwriting Associate, a key contributor within the Berkley Technology Underwriters (BTU) organization, is responsible for analyzing, underwriting and servicing insurance products for an assigned territory. While this position is in the Underwriting Department, this role also works closely with other departments within the organization to ensure compliance with regulators and company underwriting protocol and guidelines.
Key functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Build strong relationships with internal and external customers and colleagues to ensure financial goals including growth, profit, rate and premium retention are attained.
- Demonstrate the ability to negotiate, strategize and make sound underwriting decisions within authority.
- Review all and analyze endorsement submissions and stay within applicable binding authority.
- Drive renewal process, review upcoming renewals, work with producers to obtain and evaluate all underwriting information, prepare and partner for renewal with Underwriting Specialist.
- Manage assigned book to achieve budgeted rate, retention and new business goals.
- Execute proper pricing components and rating methodologies.
- Responsible for account solicitation, risk selection, research and analysis including the corresponding documentation and pricing of BTU insurance products and services for new and existing customers.
- Analyze, assess and select risks in accordance with BTU for account rounding goals.
- Responds accurately and timely to coverage inquiries from producers.
- Stay current with all compliance, procedural and workflow changes.
- Work collaboratively and effectively with underwriting team, operations staff, risk management, claims, regulatory, premium audit and BTU corporate management.
This position will be providing overall requirements gathering, design, development and support of one or more company applications for the various subsidiaries of the corporation.
- Demonstrates a robust understanding of all functional and technical aspects of a system.
- Can produce significant new system functionality or defect resolution with minimal direction.
- Creates design specifications that demonstrate an understanding of most interfacing systems and supported business processes. (can understanding business processes go to the developer/analyst)
- Routinely proposes improvements to a system to improve supportability or usability.
- Can perform adequate peer review on any changes in the system.
- Can be consulted to provide recommendations to solve business issues based on experience and knowledge of current technology.
- Demonstrates solid development processes including code review, documentation, and unit testing.
- May provide rotating on-call support of production systems.
- Ensure high-performing and scalable solutions by proactively monitoring and assessing various performance metrics both pre and post-implementation.
- Provide end user mentoring and training in 1-1 and small group settings.
- Partner with the various subsidiaries to create a vision for future advancement of our applications.
- Travel for this position is approximately 5-10%.
By joining Berkley Technology Services (BTS) as a Cloud Engineer, you’ll be an instrumental part of how we incorporate cloud into our infrastructure and help create a go forward cloud strategy. Working in close partnership with our architects and broader engineering and business teams, we’ll look to you to help to shape our approach and plan for the future of our multi-cloud environment. At BTS, you won’t be silo’d. You’ll work across platforms and with the business directly, using your keen knowledge of cloud technologies to evaluate optimal solutions to meet business needs across providers, including Azure, AWS and/or Google Cloud. You’ll influence what we use and how, thinking not only about what the technologies we’re utilizing were designed to do, but what they can do to support evolving business needs.
Our preference is for you to be located in our Wilmington, DE office but other BTS locations and/or working remotely can be considered for the right candidate.
In this role, you will:
- Collaborate with Architecture and Engineering teams to develop, implement, and support scalable solutions that facilitate our cloud transformation
- Directly participate in workload planning and design sessions, implementing multi-cloud solutions to meet business needs across Microsoft Azure, AWS and/or Google Cloud
- Advise business and technical teams on the capabilities of available technologies, developing optimized solutions and leading implementations that directly support our business
- Evaluate and provide direction for microservices, applications, and technologies that should be considered for transition to our cloud environment
- Mentor and cross-train technical staff
Works independently handling large and/or complex commercial property claims in a prompt, equitable manner. Directs origin and cause investigation, analyzes coverage, liability, and reserves while managing all damage components of the loss; negotiates settlement or conclusion of assigned claims. Incumbent will travel within CWG operating territory to perform the essential duties of this position.
Performs on-site investigations, evaluates exposures, establishes accurate reserves and manages defense and settlement or conclusion of large and/or complex, commercial property claims. Re-evaluates exposures and reserves during the life of the claim. Confers with Claims Supervisor and/or Claims Manager to inform, solicit input and strategize. Correctly enters claim data into claim and related systems for reporting purposes. Coordinates investigation with Subrogation, Arbitration and Salvage Recovery Units.
Provides technical advice, direction and mentoring to the Claims staff on commercial property and third-party property damage claims. Assists staff with subrogation and liability property demand reviews.
The Bodily Injury Claim Associate is responsible for providing administrative claims support to the bodily injury/complex claims team.
• Ensure external and internal customers have an outstanding experience with the department and deescalate customers who are upset or frustrated
• Draft and send initial contact letters, gather policy documents, order police reports, coordinate vendor assignments
• Assist adjusters with SIU referrals, acknowledgement letters, and vendor payments
• Draft correspondence such as underwriting advisories and client contact letters
• Process and attach mail/email/faxes/physical evidence into the correct claim files, accurately label and categorize the same
• Process expense/invoice payments
• Prepare check attachments
• Download claim files to CDs for Attorney and Suit Assignments
• Transfer data received via CD to the claim system
• Prepare Attorney Assignment packets for law suits to include specific attachments, file copies, and prepare for mailing
• Transcribe recorded statements
• Assist Bodily Injury Claim team with administrative and clerical assignments
• Assist Bodily Injury Claim team with new lawsuit set up, including assignment letters to defense counsel, notice to insureds, setting up initial action plan meeting with counsel, insures and adjusters; updating claim files with contact information and suit information
• Assist Bodily Injury Claim team with responses to letter of representations, update claim file with counsel information, send out acknowledgment letters and medical authorizations
• Assist Bodily Injury Director with quarterly claim reviews and welcome calls for insureds
• Assist Bodily Injury Director with maintenance of the defense counsel panel, fees and insurance coverages
• Assist Bodily Injury Director with maintenance of adjuster licensure and CE credits
• Assist claims department with responses to subpoenas
As a Business Analyst at Berkley Technology Services (BTS), you'll consult with client companies to gather business requirements to bridge the needs of the business with the use of IT. This includes determining client and organizational needs, system and operational requirements, downstream system impacts, and legal compliance obligations.
- Works with end users and internal staff to develop and translate business requirements for project deliverables.
- Answers developer and end user questions through the development life cycle.
- Completes functional testing on assigned projects.
- Develops customer relationships and has understanding of how corporation/company operates.
- Clarifies and escalates issue gaps through the change control process.
- Provides end-user training and product presentations.
- Suggests improvements in processes used for requirements gathering, design specifications, and software implementations.
- Some travel required up to 15%.
To evaluate (selection and pricing) and maintain (control) risk acceptability and profitability within the company’s underwriting guidelines and procedures for commercial risks with a focus on non-admitted primary and excess Miscellaneous Professional Liability. Manage and maintain good Wholesale Broker relationships. Meet and maintain the production, profitability, and service standards established for the company. Person would begin handling less complex/ assistant duties and as knowledge base increases, gradually given more responsibility.
- Adhere to underwriting authority level as per on file with Manager.
- Gather underwriting information to properly evaluate commercial risks for acceptability within company guidelines. Underwrite for profit.
- Meet/Exceed production, profitability, and service targets.
- Ability to research and solve more complicated problems and make decisions.
- Determine final coverages and pricing for commercial risks.
- Review claims and loss information on individual risks. Use this information to identify and re-evaluate accounts and develop strategy for dealing with exposures and frequency issues.
- As a team with the Manager, manage the portfolio profitability and identify favorable and unfavorable classes of business.
- Be informed/knowledgeable of industry issues and activities through formal educational processes to develop underwriting skills.
- Identify and cultivate brokers with new business opportunities.
- Maintain quality and time standards as established.
Berkley Technology Services (BTS) has a job opportunity open for a Software Engineering Team Lead to join our team in our Manassas, VA location (Wilmington, DE or Urbandale, IA can be considered as well). On our team, you’ll be both leader and designer, guiding your team to design and build enterprise software solutions in a multi-stack environment. Working with or across Java and/or Node.js, you’ll play a key role in determining what we do, how we do it, and what tech stack best suits our objectives. And you’ll remain deeply embedded in the tech itself, with your focus on both driving innovative solutions design and working hand in hand with your team to translate business needs into the microservices and applications used every day throughout our business.
With us, you’ll:
- Design, build, and support microservices and applications that facilitate systems to systems communications and data transfer
- Follow microservices architecture best practices to identify patterns; determine and implement best practices that directly influence the ongoing configuration and implementation of our core systems modernization efforts.
- Operate within Agile and/or SAFe frameworks to ensure enterprise software solutions are interoperable, consistent in approach, and scalable to meet evolving business needs
- Partner with business and technical teams to drive innovative ideas and systems design efforts, building consensus around the technologies and technical solutions that will address business needs
- Engage in proof of concept development initiatives to evaluate technologies for applicability and usability within our tech stack
- Mentor and cross-train technical staff
Supports the achievement of company growth and profitability goals by performing a wide variety of underwriting and underwriting support tasks.
- Reviews renewal accounts for acceptability by examining business operations, classification, contract forms and loss activity. Determines price in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and provides renewal quotations to agents within authority level. Consults agent for additional information when necessary.
- Develops and maintains professional, productive working relationships with underwriters and agency force to encourage profitability, growth and good understanding of our Company’s pricing and risk selection philosophy. Assists agents with questions regarding accounts and billing.
- Maintains established department service and quality standards.
- Assists Underwriters with accounts exceeding the Account Manager’s authority level. This may include updating information, completing worksheets, contacting the agent for information, and/or performing general underwriting of the account for the Underwriter's review and approval.
- Serves as technical resource to others, may train and/or mentor Account Specialists and other Account Managers.
- Perform special projects or assignments as requested
This position will be primarily responsible for assisting with paperwork for the Risk Management Department.
• clearing and logging in new / renewal submissions
• requesting loss runs
• processing conditional renewal notices
• checking underlying policies
• handling incoming mail
• setting up policy folders and ensuring SharePoint is up to date with correspondence.
• Issuing quotes, binders and policy(s)
The Transactional Underwriter – Vice President will review submissions, assess exposure, propose terms and conditions, present proposals at daily underwriting meetings and issue indications to brokers. Also, this person will review and sign Non-Disclosure Agreements, Underwriting Fee Agreements and perform other underwriting responsibilities as directed.
In addition, this person will retain outside counsel, review due diligence, lead conference calls with insureds, negotiate policy language, bind coverage and issue policies.
The transactional insurance market is experiencing rapid growth. Private equity firms as well as strategic buyers and sellers increasingly are utilizing transactional insurance as an important solution for completing mergers and acquisitions. Berkley Transactional, a division of Berkley Professional Liability, will provide several transactional insurance solutions, including Representations and Warranties Insurance, Tax Opinion Insurance and Contingent Liability Insurance.
• Review submissions (Confidential Information Memo, Financial Statements and Stock or Asset Purchase Agreements)
• Identify and document business exposures of the target company as well as problematic terms in the purchase agreement
• Propose terms and conditions (limit, retention, drop period, covered indemnity, pricing, fees, exclusions, focus areas) consistent with internal underwriting guidelines and respectful of the brokers’ requests. Proposals will be presented to the team during daily underwriting calls
• Prepare Non-Binding Indication Letters (NBILs) consistent with team underwriting decision, send to broker and manage re-quotes and broker questions
• Review and sign Non-Disclosure Agreement / Joinder requests
• Select counsel, prepare conflicts request, submit data-room request to brokers
• Sign Non-Reliance Letters, review primary due diligence reports, identify potential exclusions
• Coordinate and lead conference call with insured, broker, buyer experts and counsel
• Negotiate policy language
• Issue Binders, resolve binding contingencies and issue policies.
The Claims Assistant performs claims administrative duties primary related to the processing of claims.
Key functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Scan mail into claim systems and assign mail to appropriate claim.
- Assign and enter appropriate loss coding on new loss reports.
- Receive and prepare new loss reports filed via phone, fax or email.
- Process timely payment of time loss, expense bills and other claim related invoices.
This role, a key contributor to the Berkley One brand, requires proven claim technical, organizational and time management skills, self-direction, leadership and the ability to provide exceptional quality customer service. The Property General Adjuster is responsible for quality handling and resolution of property claims including complex, high exposure claims in a timely, professional manner with emphasis on providing quality service. The ideal candidate will have experience in handling all manner and size of property claims.
In support of the Berkley One brand of exceptional customer service:
- Appropriately manage assigned first party claims through coverage analysis, on site investigation, reserving and resolution.
- Identify and address coverage issues, complete investigation to determine cause & exposure, set timely reserves and develop detailed action plans.
- Write fair and equitable estimates in a software program.
- Negotiate and convey claim settlements within authority limits.
- Establish validity of claims submitted for payment through investigation, research and contact with policyholders, claimants and outside parties for additional information and documentation to evaluate and properly resolve claims.
- Write denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other correspondence.
- Maintain an effective diary system and document claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Pro-actively manage file inventory to ensure timely resolution of cases.
- Deliver exceptional customer service to meet the needs of the insured, agent and all internal and external customers.
- Perform administrative functions such as expense accounts and time off reporting as required.
- Manage Independent Adjusters and experts on select claims.
- Assist with the training of other internal and external adjusters on Berkley One best practices.
- Travel to other states for large losses or catastrophe duty.
- Establish relationships within the broker community to promote our brand.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The Finance Services Specialist is responsible for understanding policy and claim systems and processes as they relate to Finance, in order to address client and internal inquiries, in particular to premium and deductible billings.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain current receivable aging reports and undertake action plans for collecting past due balances, in accordance with Company policy
- Post refund and subrogation reimbursements to the claim system
- Assist with deductible billings and inquiries
- Function as the primary backup resource for processing and billing reporting-based payrolls and responding to related client inquiries, as part of the Finance client service team
- Maintain written policies and procedures for these functions
- Work effectively with team members and management to achieve continuous process improvement, strengthen internal controls and promote a collaborative work environment
The AVP Risk Services provides strong leadership, strategic direction, coordination and evaluation to the entire Risk Services organization. Proactively partners with the senior leadership team and functional department staff in developing and executing strategic plans to meet business objectives. Leads all strategic business processes and supporting programs that identify, measure, and monitor risks and exposures for Claims and Underwriting Departments.
- Creates a positive work environment between all business unit partners while collaborating to develop goals, objectives, strategies, programs and procedures to ensure enterprise alignment and strategy.
- Responsible for key deliverables to the senior leadership team such as management reporting of risk assessments. Continuous review, development and implementation of improved policies, procedures, productivity and quality measures.
- Develops an annual budget and implements tracking mechanisms to monitor results. Reports regularly on progress and adjusts plans and initiatives to achieve targeted results.
- Monitors workload and territory assignments to appropriately match staff to assignments and maintain service levels and consistency on work assignments. Monitors risk services results, service and turnaround times making changes as warranted to ensure account expectations are met or exceeded.
- Monitors industry and company trends identifying opportunities and communicating relevant information to appropriate staff.
- Conducts regular staff meetings to communicate results and performance and discuss pertinent information.
- Interacts on a regular basis, by phone and in person, with customers and agents creating an ongoing partnership sharing new and innovative ideas and solutions expanding Berkley Agribusiness Risk Services value proposition.
- Keeps abreast of industry developments and actively participates in industry seminars and programs to advance technical knowledge base and incorporate as appropriate into current operations.
- Conducts regular reviews and audits of risk services files addressing performance issues and quality of work in a prompt fashion.
- Contributes to Berkley Agribusiness success by developing departmental and individual staff goals; measuring results, rewarding achievements or taking corrective action as necessary.
- Develops associates through coaching, training, ongoing and constructive feedback, and through regular performance and salary reviews.
- Retains staff by managing responsibly and creating a positive work environment.
- Develop and manage annual business & expense plans that support the overall strategies of the operating unit – Berkley Agribusiness
- Understands Berkley Agribusiness strategic vision and the factors that affect its success.
- Communicates regularly and effectively with staff, both as a team and individually.
- Directly manages and leads staff within the Risk Services Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The Legal Bill Auditor is responsible for utilizing an electronic billing system to timely audit, review and pay all legal bills charged to the claim file. This process includes determining the validity of charges through the utilization of attorney guidelines and industry standards. Responsibilities also include resolution of all billing disputes, legal bill review appeals, educating law firms and staff on the bill review process, and analysis of billing discrepancies to determine law firm performance and billing trends.
-Review, analyze, and audit law firm invoices for compliance with the Attorney Guidelines through the utilization of an electronic billing system.
-Conduct line by line review of invoices to determine accuracy, reasonableness and compliance with agreed upon fee structure between company and law firm.
-Identify and group tasks to evaluate the progression of activities from start of case to closure.
-Collect information needed via contact with law firm and claims’ staff to determine the reasonableness of time spent on tasks for completion of bill review process.
-Identify billing discrepancies based on knowledge of Attorney Guidelines, industry standards and litigation history, and reduce invoices accordingly.
-Discuss, explain and educate attorneys and claims’ staff on reasons for invoice reductions, bill review process and compliance with Attorney Guidelines.
-Advise and work closely with Claim Managers, adjusters, and attorneys on billing discrepancies to determine the reasonableness of time spent and best course of action for resolution.
-Assist attorneys, billing managers and claims’ staff on use of electronic billing system.
-Utilize and create reports to determine law firm performance trends.
-Identify firm billing trends and elevate to management.
- Ability to work on special projects, as assigned.
- Participate in staff meetings.
- Be a champion and advocate for change, as needed, especially as it relates to new technologies and systems.
- Assist with creation and delivery of training modules, as needed.
Surveys market commercial agribusiness operations and consults with owners, managers, employees, agents and underwriting to determine the type and level of exposures present and controls needed. Determines customer’s ability to control the exposures by gathering information through physical surveys, program audits, loss history analysis, comparison to industry standards and customer interviews. Provides training, mentoring, specialized technical advice and counsel to staff. Assists underwriting with risk selection and ongoing account management.
Position will work remotely in MI, MN, IL, WI, or IA
- Surveys commercial agribusiness properties such as buildings, industrial operations, agribusiness operations, and commercial vehicles to evaluate physical conditions, safety practices, and hazardous situations according to knowledge of safety standards, established underwriting guidelines and governmental regulations. Utilizes experience and technical expertise to survey large or complex operations as requested by Operations.
- Observes business operations and management practices to determine safety issues and hazards. Analyzes history of accidents and claims and inspects scenes of accidents to determine causes and to consult in development of accident prevention programs. Measures insured area(s), calculates frontage, records description and amount of stock and photographs or drafts scale drawings of properties to identify factors affecting risk acceptability and insurance premiums.
- Prepares timely written reports and correspondence of findings and recommendations for risk improvement.
- Consults with insured in regard to activities and programs to control losses and improve safety. Confers with employees of insured, provides informational materials and conducts training as needed to induce compliance with safety standards, codes and regulations.
Responsible for supporting the expansion and management of our products.
- Assist the Product Management team in the development, implementation and management of product and state strategies that facilitate growth and profitability.
- Provide guidance on business requirements for rating and user experience; assist with user acceptance testing.
- Research, analyze and interpret internal data, competitor results, market trends and regulations; assist with the preparation and communication of findings.
- Assist with the design and delivery of internal workflows and training and in developing external communication documents.
- Establish effective working relationships and engage with colleagues across the organization; review and respond to rating and coverage questions.
- Prepare various ad-hoc reports and manage other projects and assignments as needed.