The Senior Underwriter will manage existing broker and client relationships and will develop new broker and client relationships, by working closely with the Actuarial, Claims, and Underwriting teams to understand and achieve profitability targets.
The ideal candidate will also analyze risk, exposure, loss and coverage information for group and individual risk accounts to structure and price programs that are financially efficient for the insured and profitable for the company, and will Identify and utilize data-driven analyses to drive marketing efforts relative to customer acquisition and retention.
- Review new and renewal submissions for completeness and address any discrepancies with the broker.
- Organize and aggregate loss and exposure information and input into pricing models.
- Analyze and interpret risk data and complete an underwriting workbook for each eligible risk.
- Work with actuarial to understand the key components of the pricing models.
- Establish and maintain broker relationships though superior levels of service and direct broker engagement.
- Attend industry client centric events.
- Assist with the development of new products, services, process improvements, and marketing initiatives.
- Independently make sales calls to brokers and clients, and when necessary, coordinate with Executive, Underwriting, and Claims.
- Manage ad hoc projects as required.
Our Claims Examiners conduct the handling of claims in the utmost of good faith in compliance with the rules, regulations and statutes of the WCAB and State of California. We function with a high degree of competency and sound judgment, coupled with consistent results!
Responsibilities for this opportunity include:
- Analyzing and processing workers’ compensation claims by investigating and gathering information to determine the exposure on the claim.
- Negotiating the settlement of claims up to designated authority level and making claims payments.
- Calculating and assigning timely and appropriate reserves to claims and continuing to manage reserve adequacy throughout the life of the claim.
- Calculating and paying benefits due; approving all claim payments; and settling claims within designated authority level.
- Developing and managing claims through well-developed action plans; continuing to work the action plan to bring the claim to an appropriate and timely resolution.
- Preparing necessary state filings within statutory limits.
- Actively managing the litigation process; ensuring timely and cost effective claims resolution.
- Coordinating vendor referrals for additional investigation and/or litigation management.
- Using appropriate cost containment techniques including strategic vendor partnerships to reduce overall cost of claims.
- Managing claim recoveries of all types, including but not limited to subrogation, Second Injury Fund recoveries, and Social Security offsets.
- Reporting claims to the excess carrier, responds to requests of directions in a professional and timely manner.
- Frequently communicating with all appropriate parties involved with the claim.
- Referring cases as appropriate to management.
- Maintaining professional client relationships.
- Actively executing appropriate claims activities to ensure consistent delivery of quality claims service.
Investigates low to medium level commercial property claims in a prompt, equitable manner by analyzing coverage, evaluating reserves; and negotiating settlement or conclusion of claim.
- Examines and analyzes policies, contracts and claim forms to determine coverage.
- Investigates loss in a prompt manner by investigation, telephone, or correspondence to determine the extent of the Company’s obligation.
- Requests necessary reports, e.g., police reports, fire reports, property damage inspections, etc. Utilizes independent adjusting services to assist in the claim investigation as appropriate.
- Establishes accurate claim reserves and re-evaluates exposures and reserves during the life of the claim.
- Correctly enters claim data and file documentation into claim and related systems for reporting purposes.
- Negotiates settlement or conclusion of claim.
Preferred Employers Insurance is a member company of the W. R. Berkley Corporation, a Fortune 500 company rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best Company. Take your career to the next level and join us! Find out why we are the preferred workers’ compensation insurance solution for California employers.
We currently have a great opportunity for a Senior Workers’ Compensation Examiner to join our team! Our Senior Examiners are responsible for the analysis and management of complex workers’ compensation claims. This position will review, investigate, and make decisions regarding coverage, compensability, and appropriateness of claims. The position will process and document claims to ensure compliance with company standards, industry best practices, and legislative provisions. Acts in a fiduciary role on behalf of policyholders, negotiates claim settlements and manages subrogation. Senior Claims Examiner’s conduct the handling of claims in the utmost of good faith in compliance with the rules, regulations and statutes of the WCAB and State of California. The Senior Workers’ Compensation Examiner is expected to function with a degree of competency. The use of sound judgment coupled with consistent results is expected.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Analyzes and processes workers’ compensation claims by investigating and gathering information to determine the exposure on the claim.
- Negotiates settlement of claims up to designated authority level and makes claims payments.
- Processes complex or technically difficult claims.
- Calculates and assigns timely and appropriate reserves to claims and continues to manage reserve adequacy throughout the life of the claim.
- Calculates and pays benefits due; approves all claim payments; and settles claims within designated authority level.
- Develops and manages claims through well-developed action plans; continues to work the action plan to bring the claim to an appropriate and timely resolution.
- Prepares necessary state filings within statutory limits.
- Actively manages the litigation process; ensures timely and cost-effective claims resolution.
- Coordinates vendor referrals for additional investigation and/or litigation management.
- Uses appropriate cost containment techniques including strategic vendor partnerships to reduce overall cost of claims.
- Manages claim recoveries of all types, including but not limited to subrogation, Second Injury Fund recoveries, and Social Security offsets.
- Reports claims to the excess carrier, responds to requests of directions in a professional and timely manner.
- Frequently communicates with all appropriate parties involved with the claim.
- Refers cases as appropriate to management.
- Maintains professional client relationships.
- Actively executes appropriate claims activities to ensure consistent delivery of quality claims service.
The Sr. Data Scientist may be responsible for leading or participating in the cross departmental collaboration to define and develop predictive modeling initiatives and building, refining, and improving existing models as well as developing new techniques and applications to different areas of the company. This position leads or participates with cross-departmental collaboration and communication of complex technical models as well as leads or participates with the implementation of the models on behalf of Actuarial & Advanced Analytics including interfacing with IS/IT and Underwriting business rules and others.
- Leads or participates in the cross departmental collaboration to define and develop predictive modeling initiatives, communication of complex technical and operational model solutions and the implementation of model solutions. Leads and helps shape the overall advanced analytics strategy for the organization.
- Pro-actively seeks out situations where the acquisition of Competitive Market Analytics and other competitive position reviews would have a material impact on business decisions and their outcomes. Convinces others of the need and lead the effort.
- Adapts and develops rating methodologies for both existing and new company products using advanced techniques to incorporate new variables, etc., in pursuit of a competitive advantage and creation of economic profit opportunities.
- Identifies, retrieves, and prepares data in support of actuarial analysis through SQL, Essbase, and other data sources. Includes internal data (exposure, premium, loss, claims, price, etc.) and various forms of external data (bureau loss costs, bureau trends, macroeconomic data, market share, market pricing, etc.)
- Ensures the accuracy and suitability of data for the business need at hand. Manipulates data, performs preliminary analysis and interprets data through Excel or other analytics platforms and presents recommendations.
- Supports the transformation of business intelligence tools from static reporting to Tableau dashboards, increasing data visualization and availability, supporting cross-division collaboration, and operationalizing advanced analytics.
- For both Home Office and Regional Underwriting, identifies segments with profitable growth potential; identifies under-performing segments and proposes corrective actions to improve profitability.
- Performs advanced analytics and modeling techniques including but not limited to generalized linear modeling and other forms of multivariate analysis. Tools used could include SAS, R, Python, and distribution fitting coupled with stochastic simulation techniques. This role is expected to build, refine and improve existing models as well as develop new techniques and applications to different areas of the company.
- In additional to regular modeling responsibilities, this person will use critical thinking skills and apply advanced modeling techniques, including but not limited to Machine Learning, to provide insights and solve business problems including techniques such as decision trees, A/B testing, random forests, neural networks, clustering, and other machine learning techniques.
- Participates in enterprise risk management initiatives, including support for catastrophe management, economic capital modeling, internal rate of return studies, etc. Provides innovation and leadership when applicable.
- Leads the innovation and efficiency efforts related to tools and analysis in support of Underwriting’s pricing decisions with respect to large accounts as well as small commercial portfolio price adequacy analyses.
Primarily responsible for the underwriting and issuance of small commercial business that meets our exposure-based definition. Seeks guidance in underwriting accounts whose requirements fall outside of established standards and guidelines and/ or authority. Goals are focused on supporting small commercial key business objectives including account retention and growth. Team with the Sales Executive to handle the majority of individual account activities related to new business underwriting, quoting, policy issuance and renewal management. This position does not lead others.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluation of complex new, renewal and endorsement activities to accept, modify, decline and price accounts
- Provide excellent customer support to agents and internal stakeholders
- Ensure that production and loss ratio goals are achieved through effective managing of new business through automated process and sound agent communication
- Respond to issues and challenges that affect production and profit ratio objectives. Take corrective action and/or
refers the problem (with recommendation) to Commercial Team Leader, Underwriting Director or Vice President
- Partner with Sales Executive to create a business plan for assigned territory with an emphasis to develop strong retention and profitable new business pipeline
- Thinks like an owner and executes with high degree of accountability for self and organization
- Acts as a referral for more complex renewals, endorsements that fall outside the Underwriting Assistant’s authority
- Pro-actively seek to retain key renewals by working closely with agents and brokers
- Participate in projects/assignments which support policy service and production objectives with respects to sales, underwriting, retention and customer service goals
- Responsible for insuring compliance with underwriting strategies and regulatory requirements
The AVP, Senior Claims Examiner will handle all aspects of claims notices and files related to professional liability and accompanying coverages, including but not limited to claims and coverage analysis, liability and damages analysis, reserve setting, reporting, reinsurance analysis and reporting, and travel. Manage outside defense and coverage counsel that are assigned on claim or pre-claim files, including cost containment and litigation management. Support and assist with marketing and loss prevention education, including development of educational materials, for assigned product lines, as requested or needed. Support and assist functional departments, including marketing, risk management, finance and actuarial, including any related travel, as needed or requested. Actively engage in and embrace the company’s continued learning and innovation culture, including participation in innovation groups to identify solutions for enhancement and change.
Overall responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Adjusting all aspects of claims and loss notices, including but not limited to claims and coverage analysis, liability and damages analysis, reserve setting, reporting, reinsurance analysis and reporting and coverage litigation.
- Attend mediations, settlement conferences, trials and other claims-related travel as needed or required.
- Support the marketing, risk management, finance and actuarial departments, including any related travel, as needed or requested.
- Assist with or conduct large loss and reinsurance reporting.
- Maintain adjuster’s licenses in all states requiring licenses, or as requested.
- Possible product line oversight.
- Business-related travel as require or needed.
- Assist with marketing and development of risk management materials, as needed
- Active engagement in the company’s innovation culture and group
- Continued and self-driven learning
Key Risk is looking for an enthusiastic professional who will be responsible for the management of low exposure workers’ compensation claims. The Claims Associate will be responsible for learning workers compensation laws and providing outstanding service to our clients. This is an entry-level position with no experience necessary.
- Maintain good lines of communication with employers, adjusters, and providers
- Conduct investigation of workers' compensation claims assigned
- Request medical notes, proper billing format, and other written/verbal information from employers and medical providers to determine appropriateness of payment of medical bills and whether a claim is truly medical only
- Discuss with an employee, issues relative to whether a bill has been paid or whether travel or medical reimbursement has been issued
- Timely and accurately reserve for claims assigned
- Document medical notes and relevant written and oral communication received relative to claims in the log notes
- Discuss with an employer, issues relative to an injured workers’ return to work status
- Index images as needed
- Identify potential subrogation claims and notify appropriate supervisor
- Actively work with mentor and supervisor to develop skills to handle all technical aspects of claims, including coverage, disability benefit management, medical management, litigation management, file management, subrogation, reserving and settlement
- Maintain and demonstrate knowledge of the Workers' Compensation Act and Rules and Regulations in jurisdictions assigned
- Immediately notify management of large exposures
Berkley One, a Berkley company that caters to affluent Personal Lines insurance clients, is rapidly expanding and seeking a Multi-line Claims Adjuster who will be responsible for quality and timely handling and resolution of moderately complex claims in a professional manner. This role will be situated in our Wilmington, DE office.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Handle first and third party personal lines homeowners liability, auto bodily injury, first party medical/PIP and auto physical damage claims of moderate complexity as assigned
- Appropriately manage claims through coverage analysis, investigation, reserving and resolution
- Identify and address coverage issues, complete investigation to determine cause & exposure, set timely reserves and develop detailed action plans
- Negotiate and convey claim settlements within authority limits
- Establish validity of claims submitted for payment through coverage research and contact with policyholders, claimants and outside parties
- Research and locate additional information and documentation to investigate, evaluate and properly resolve claims
- Write denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other correspondence
- Maintain an effective diary system and document claim file activities in accordance with established procedures
- Pro-actively manage file inventory to ensure timely resolution of cases
- Deliver exceptional customer service to meet the needs of the insured, agent and all internal and external customers
- Perform administrative functions such as expense accounts and time off reporting as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
The Assistant Underwriter will assist underwriting department through the handling of limited exposure accounts and to complete underwriting functions based on the underwriting guidelines and Letter of Authority. Rate and issue assigned accounts and provide functional support to underwriters.
Handle new and/or renewal accounts, as assigned by underwriters or manager, by:
- Reviewing new submission material, assessing risk and determining appropriate terms.
- Processing assigned Automatic and non-Automatic renewals within delegated authority.
- Following specific instructions of the underwriter.
- Reviewing applications from agents and obtaining missing information.
- Refer to underwriter or underwriting manager when outside assistant underwriter authority.
- Prepare proposals for agents.
- Follow up on all quotations in order to verify account status.
- Following guidelines or instructions, order inspections as needed for underwriting of risk.
- Maintain records and prepare required reports as necessary.
- Meet or communicate with agents/marketing personnel.
- Maintain contact with and act as liaison between independent agents, insurance company, claims adjusters and other concerned parties in administering accounts where necessary.
- Maintain and update files for underwriting reviews.
- Rate and process business as assigned, to include manual, computer and experience rating.
- Set up policy order and instructions for issuance by Operations team.
- Handle endorsement requests within delegated authority.
Perform other account-related duties, as assigned by underwriters, such as:
- Order loss control
- Order / review MVR’s, Guidestar information, BUR or other outside materials as instructed.
- Complete valuation estimations as requested or directed. Handle routine inquiries from agents
At Acadia, we value our employees, our customers and our communities. Employees at Acadia are part of a progressive company where everyone can make a difference. We promote an inclusive environment which encourages continuous learning and the chance to grow and develop.
Become a member of Acadia's claim department and have a direct impact on helping our customers throughout the state. Acadia has a great opportunity to start your career in insurance as a Workers’ Compensation Claim Trainee. As a participant in our Insurance Training Program, which will begin in June of 2021, you will learn all aspects of commercial property and casualty insurance. Upon successful completion of the program, you will be promoted to Associate Claims Representative and will work out of our Rocky Hill, CT or Marlborough, MA office.
This position provides technical oversight and coverage guidance to achieve the appropriate outcome on claims up to approved authority.
Significant emphasis on resolution and process improvement, while maximizing cost effectiveness, supporting business partners to attract and maintain business.
The position holds responsibilities with heavy focus on proactive and effective performance of Third Party Administrators and Program Administrators in addition to supervising an assigned claims team on direct handled program claims.
Develops and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, business partners, customers, agents, regulatory agencies and others to achieve organizational goals and create better outcomes.
The position requires extensive multi-line claim experience.
Reviews and analyzes claim detail above the Third Party Administrator authority, while providing direction on reserving and settlement decisions.
Communicates Large Loss Reporting to internal business partners and reinsurers. Provides support to all functional internal departments.
Highly developed skills in negotiating, mediating and/or arbitrating claims. Also may attend trials as necessary.
Conducts and participates in regular audits, program administrator meetings and file reviews.
Adjust reserves and provide reserve recommendations to ensure reserving activities are consistent with corporate policies.
Other duties as assigned.
The Vice President, Claims is directly responsible for the technical supervision, training and development of the Unit Managers and their staff. Partners with the Senior Vice President in leading and management of the Claims Department.
- Develop the technical and managerial skills of the Unit Managers. Evaluate on a formal and informal basis. Ensure the performance management process is completed in a timely and qualitative manner for all team members.
- Responsible for the training and development of the Claims Superintendents in all areas of management to include investigation, reserving, coverage analysis, negotiation and settlement. Utilize talent development tools (i.e. Career Ladder) as necessary.
- Assure compliance with all departmental policies, guidelines, and Best Practices. Assist in the development of new ones, as necessary.
- Maintain an override diary as required by Best Practices.
- Assist in the hiring and termination process. Manage, assess and evaluate direct reports.
- Maintain State and Federal claim statistical reporting as required.
- Assist the Senior Vice President with long- and short-term departmental goal setting, and support overall company goals and objectives.
- Work with Admiral Regulatory to respond to Insurance Department inquiries.
- Acts as Liaison with Archer, CT Corp and CMS with regard to Admiral Reporting requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Entry level underwriting position. Responsible for managing the underwriting workflow and processes for assigned book of business. Work with underwriters and producers in servicing commercial technology accounts
- Handle renewal preparation on accounts within assigned territory as directed by underwriter and /or manager. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Preparing and analyzing account loss history reports
- Ordering and analyzing motor vehicle records
- Order and analyzing modeling to properly evaluate catastrophic exposures such as flood, earthquake and wind exposures
- Ordering risk control surveys
- Preparing risk analysis and working with underwriters to properly evaluate exposures on assigned book of business
- Review and analyze applications and obtain missing information from producers.
- Underwrite and process endorsements
- Communicate with agents on matters pertaining to renewal submissions, endorsement requests and other day to day service items.
- Provide clear instruction and guidance to support staff.
- Maintain records and prepare required reports on activity as needed.
- Document underwriting files to decisions.
- Operate according to underwriting authority as delegated by manager.
- May handle a book of renewal business depending upon experience.
May perform other functions as assigned.
The Assistant Vice President - Asset Management Product Leader (AMPL) will lead Berkley FinSecure’s expansion into the management liability lines for U.S. registered investment advisers. The AMPL will develop Berkley FinSecure’s management liability policy form, rate plan, risk appetite, underwriting guidelines and procedures, go to market strategy, external marketing campaign, and internal training. The AMPL will have direct management responsibility for a Senior Underwriter focused on asset management accounts. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Leadership responsibility for the asset management book of business and its financial results.
- Developing the asset management financial lines insurance product and strategy to achieve desired results (both short-term and long-term).
- Building out the asset management underwriting appetite, rate plan, and internal procedures (including an underwriting review template).
- Recruiting and hiring an Asset Management Senior Underwriter, who will report to the AMPL.
- Partnering with Underwriting, Marketing, Actuarial, Claims, Finance, and Compliance leaders in the development of product and processes.
- Being the lead asset management underwriting contact for agent and broker partners.
- Liaise with Berkley Crime for the underwriting of asset management fidelity bonds (to be underwritten by Berkley Crime).
- Serving as authority source for asset management referrals.
- Presenting to management liability treaty reinsurers, as needed.
- Marketing, evaluation, rating, pricing, and negotiation of New Business and Renewal asset management risks.
- Completion/updating of data entry fields in BPMi Workflow Management System.
- Completion of Rating/Review Documents.
- Completion of necessary fields in Berkley Underwriting System and/or any other applicable underwriting systems proprietary to Berkley FinSecure.
- Adherence to Berkley FinSecure Best Practices, Underwriting Guidelines, Line of Business risk appetite, and personal Underwriting Authority.
- Communication with and solicitation of additional information from brokers.
- Communication of corporate goals, programs, and underwriting policies and procedures.
- Flexibility to attend industry or company events, including those requiring overnight travel.
- Management of special projects or program business as needed.
Investigate, evaluate and resolve assigned claims in accordance with company standards, procedures, and state regulatory requirements.
- Perform investigations in a timely and thorough manner to ensure accurate decisions on coverage, compensability, liability, and damage issues affecting claim resolutions.
- Effectively negotiate with insureds, third-parties and claimants listening carefully to their demands and using an objective approach to resolve the claim fairly.
- Control file-related expenses through efficient utilization and monitoring of "outside" vendors.
- Inform other departments of positive/negative conditions noted during investigations which may impact company results.
- Manage existing workloads effectively to achieve quality and quantity production goals while providing superior customer service.
- Participate in special account reviews and present agents and insureds with recommendations for improving their loss ratio and information on best practices.
- handles complex workers’ compensation cases and those involving complex questions of coverage and compensability
- Works closely with underwriting in developing and interpreting policy language and, in conjunction with loss control, assists in the analysis and recommendations on loss sensitive and special accounts.
- May serve as team leader or mentor in the training and development of less experienced staff and provides input in roundtable discussions.
The Service Desk Analyst at Admiral is responsible for providing a wide range of support for computers and systems so end users can accomplish business tasks. This is achieved through issue resolution with diagnostics and troubleshooting. The Service Desk Analyst receives, prioritizes, documents, and actively resolves end user issues and service requests.
- Field incoming service requests from end users via both telephone and e-mail in a courteous manner, resolving issues presented as quickly as possible
- Prioritize and schedule incoming issues. Escalate problems (when required) per the documented process after research and resolution attempts are exhausted or limited rights.
- Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization.
- Perform hands-on fixes at the desktop level, including installing and upgrading software, installing hardware, and configuring systems and applications.
- Collaborate with other IT staff to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Configure, and deploy end user equipment as needed, including but not limited to desktop, laptop, desk phone, printer, etc.
- Document all pertinent end user identification information, including name, contact information, and nature of problem or issue.
- Build rapport and elicit problem details from service desk customers.
- Record, track, and document the service desk request problem-solving process.
- Apply diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting.
- Access software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked questions resources on the Internet to aid in problem resolution.
- Performing preventative maintenance, including checking and cleaning of workstations and peripherals.
- Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
- Perform post-resolution follow-ups to service requests.
- Processing of New Hires/Terminations.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Other related tasks as directed by management.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Litigation Specialist –with potential for remote employment. Primary responsibilities include:
- High severity, high complexity losses in all 50 states
- CGL, Miscellaneous Professional Liability, Liquor Liability
- Commercial Excess GL, Personal Umbrella
- Some Intellectual Property and New York Labor Law
- Declaratory Judgment Actions
- Substantial coverage analysis of manuscript forms and close partnering with Underwriters
- Some travel for mediation and trial attendance
Berkley Environmental is looking for an enthusiastic experienced Claims Project Manager responsible for leading, and ensuring cross-team coordination for projects encompassing multiple teams and applications. The individual in this role will be expected to collaborate with and lead projects that span various groups across Operations, Technology, Business Management through leadership, organization, communication, and execution on key deliverables and milestones.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creation and management of thorough claims project plans, delivering on project objectives and milestones
- Plan and communicate all aspects of the project including risk management and change control
- Transparency with the project team and stakeholders to ensure understanding and agreement with the project scope, deliverables value and timeline
- Facilitates the engagement of the claims project team, stakeholder and subject matter experts in development of project items including project schedules based on scope, plan for deliverables and team member assignments
- Manages risk management plans to identify, document, escalate and mitigate risks
- Assure deliverables adhere to the defined quality assurance process
- Facilitates regular status meetings and distributes project status updates to stakeholders
- Proactively communicates information needed by team members to complete their assigned activities
- Obtain all required approvals prior to deliverables being delivered
Provides policy rating, preparation/issuance and data processing functions in support of Commercial Lines Underwriting. Assist in technical training and documentation within the department.
- Rate and issue various transactions including but not limited to new business, Ag renewals, renewal rerates, endorsements and cancellation with using available data processing equipment/programs.
- Meet established production goals while maintaining high levels of both quality and service.
- Follow up with Underwriting staff and/or agent for missing or inaccurate information.
- Order various property inspections and reports per established company processes.
- Perform special projects or assignments as requested
- Train/mentor new employees in the department
- Update department procedure manual as needed.
- Ability to learn/utilize multiple computer software programs.
- Accurately complete highly detailed work with minimal errors.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Identify and interpret a variety of insurance documents and forms.
- Perform multiple duties and meet deadlines in a fast paced and self-directed environment.
- Respond professionally to customer inquiries.
- Able to perform job duties with moderate supervision.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment.