Click column header to sort
The Data Scientist may be responsible for leading or participating in the cross departmental collaboration to define and develop predictive modeling initiatives and building, refining, and improving existing models as well as developing new techniques and applications to different areas of the company. This position leads or participates with cross-departmental collaboration and communication of complex technical models as well as leads or participates with the implementation of the models on behalf of Actuarial & Advanced Analytics including interfacing with Information Technology, Underwriting, Claims, Finance and Sales.
- Adapts and develops rating methodologies for both existing and new company products using advanced techniques to incorporate new variables, etc., in pursuit of a competitive advantage and creation of economic profit opportunities. Helps shape the overall advanced analytics strategy for the organization.
- Identifies, retrieves, and prepares data in support of actuarial analysis through R, SQL, Essbase and other data sources. Includes internal data (exposure, premium, loss, claims, price, etc.) and various forms of external data (bureau loss costs, bureau trends, macroeconomic data, market share, market pricing, etc.)
- Ensures the accuracy and suitability of data for the business need at hand. Manipulates data, performs preliminary analysis and interprets data through various analytics platforms. Summarizes and presents recommendations.
- Supports the transformation of business intelligence tools from static reporting to dashboards, increasing data visualization and availability, supporting cross-division collaboration, and operationalizing advanced analytics.
- Supports the actuarial function in identifying segments with profitable growth potential and underperforming segments. Assists in proposing corrective actions to improve profitability.
- Performs advanced analytics and modeling techniques including but not limited to generalized linear modeling and other forms of multivariate analysis. This role is expected to build, refine and improve existing models as well as develop new techniques and applications to different areas of the company.
- In addition to regular modeling responsibilities, this person will use critical thinking skills and apply advanced modeling techniques, including but not limited to AI/Machine Learning, to provide insights and solve business problems including techniques such as classification and regression trees, random forests, neural networks, clustering, and other machine learning techniques.
- May participate in other department deliverables and activities such as enterprise risk management (including support for catastrophe management), economic capital modeling, rate reviews, loss reserving and planning. Provides innovation and leadership when applicable.
- Leads the innovation and efficiency efforts related to tools and analysis in support of Underwriting’s pricing decisions with respect to large accounts as well as small commercial portfolio price adequacy analyses.
The Underwriting Assistant role with CWG offers the unique opportunity to learn and grow within Commercial Underwriting.
This role works directly with a dedicated underwriting team and offers contact with team members and agents allowing for the progression of commercial knowledge.
- Supports Underwriter by reviewing incoming correspondence and applications to determine proper procedural action. Examines information provided in the application and related resources to determine if risk meets established eligibility guidelines. Consults agent or obtains reports for Underwriter when additional information is necessary. Routes risk-involved matters that are beyond assigned authority level to Underwriter for evaluation. Maintains established department service and quality standards.
- Prepares quotes or accepts and prices new commercial property/casualty accounts that meet established risk selection criteria and are within the Underwriting Assistant’s assigned authority level.
- Evaluates renewal commercial property/casualty accounts and endorsements, within authority level, by reviewing updated account information, claims experience, loss control surveys, risk acceptability and pricing. Consults agent for additional information when necessary. Within authority, determines if account will be renewed or cancelled.
- Develops and maintains professional, productive working relationships with agency force to encourage profitability, growth and good understanding of our Company’s pricing and risk selection philosophy. Assists agents with questions regarding account
The Senior Counsel is a licensed attorney with five or more years of relevant work experience. The Senior Counsel provides an array of legal services to internal clientele and assists the General Counsel with day-to-day oversight of the legal affairs of the organization. In this position the Senior Counsel will provide research, advice, and other assistance as requested. They may also provide counsel to management and other employees within the company, other W. R. Berkley operating units and coordinate with outside legal counsel as required. This position also requires a high degree of inherent discretion and decision making confidence.
The Sr. Claims Service Representative will investigate and resolve high frequency, low severity auto claims in a prompt, equitable manner via telephone investigation. Determines coverage, liability, damages, reserves and concludes claim through negotiation or denial of claim. Evaluates, assigns, extracts or inputs data for new claims assignments. Performs support functions for higher level adjusting staff.
- Learns and becomes adept at examining policies, contracts and claim forms to determine coverage for routine matters. Investigates loss, evaluates exposures, and establishes accurate reserves on high frequency, low severity commercial claims within established authority level.
- Denies or negotiates and settles claim. Correctly enters claim data into claim and related systems for reporting purposes. Re-evaluates exposures and reserves during life of the claim.
- Reviews new losses received by Claims Department to determine type and level of loss. Makes initial contact with insureds and/or claimants to obtain additional information related to the claim if necessary. May assign claims to Claims staff based on analysis of exposure.
- Reviews data and creates Excel spreadsheets to assist management with expenses, portal and goal management.
- Answers calls received from the Customer Experience Center and assists caller or directs call to appropriate claims staff. May assists agents, policyholder and claimants with questions related to claims handled by others on the line-of-business team.
Surveys business operations and consults with policyholders and underwriting to determine the type and level of exposures and controls needed. Determines customers’ ability to control the exposures by gathering information through physical surveys, program audits, loss history analysis, comparison to industry standards and customer interviews. Provides training, mentoring, specialized technical advice and counsel to staff and customers. Assists Underwriters with risk selection and ongoing account management.
Accepts, retains and prices moderate to high exposure commercial property and casualty insurance accounts in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level. Manages assigned territory to achieve profitable growth objectives by properly classifying and pricing risks; building strong internal and external business relationships; analyzing competitive marketing data, identifying territory needs; and developing, implementing and monitoring action plans as appropriate. Serves as an underwriting resource by providing knowledge and insight to underwriting staff.
- Reviews renewal accounts by examining business operations, classification, contract forms and loss activity. Determines if account is an acceptable risk or if it will be non-renewed. Determines price in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level. Reviews endorsement requests exceeding Underwriter and/or Underwriting Assistant’s authority level and takes appropriate procedural action.
- Assesses new commercial insurance risks and determines accurate classification of business, policy contract forms and pricing of risk. Works within broad limits and authority on commercial underwriting accounts of moderate to high exposure. Evaluates MVRs, financial reports, loss control reports, etc. Accepts and prices risk in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level.
- Develops, expands and/or enhances agency relationships to promote profitability and growth of new business and the retention of existing business. Travels assigned territory and meets with agents to enhance business relationships. Educates agency staff on Company’s pricing and risk selection philosophy. Participates in the agency management process. Assesses the strengths and weaknesses of agencies and assists them in achieving the mutual goal of sustained profitable growth.
- Works in partnership with regional Business Development staff to identify new business opportunities from the agency force to assess, quote, inspect and accept. Collaborates to classify agencies within established marketing segments; analyze territory’s mix of business, production, and loss experience; establish agencies’ annual premium goals; and conduct quarterly and annual review of agencies’ profit and growth results.
- Effectively manages assigned territory to achieve established profitability, growth and retention goals. Analyzes agency results and competitive marketing data to identify trends and opportunities. Develops, implements and monitors action plans as appropriate. Monitors and reports on material changes within the territory’s legal environment. Reviews industry periodicals and journals, legislative actions and court decisions to develop a broader industry awareness and understanding of competition within the territory.
- Serves as underwriting resource to underwriting staff and agents regarding products, coverages and rating procedures. Provides professional development knowledge and guidance to Underwriter Trainees, Underwriters, Underwriting Assistants and other functional areas.
Surveys business operations and consults with policyholders and underwriting to determine the type and level of exposures and controls needed. Determines the customers; ability to control the exposures, by gathering information through physical surveys, program audits, loss history analysis, comparison to industry standards and customer interviews. Assists Underwriting with risk selection and ongoing account management.
The Commercial Underwriting Manager is responsible for effectively managing an assigned commercial underwriting function and staff. Drives profitable underwriting results and managed growth through leadership, development and engagement. Leads the development and implementation of strategies for driving long term success in middle market property and casualty across all major lines of business. Position will be based in Des Moines Metro Area or remotely from Indiana, Illinois or Michigan.
Develops a high performing team of Middle Market Underwriting professionals through leadership acumen and execution. Demonstrates genuine care and delivers coaching to staff and leaders in order to further develop their skills set and performance for current and future roles. Contributes to the organization’s success by developing business unit and individual performance goals and measuring results.
Monitors the risk acceptability, pricing adequacy and classification accuracy of accounts to ensure profitability and managed growth of business. Consults with underwriters and Home Office Underwriting on risk acceptability, coverages, pricing, terms and conditions.
Underwrites accounts exceeding authority level of underwriting staff and determines accurate classification of business, policy contract forms and pricing of risk.
Engages agency partners through selective travel, involvement in distribution related events, and correspondence on key accounts. Contributes leadership and oversight of the selection and management of the distribution plant of independent agencies.
Processes commercial insurance - new business, renewals, endorsements, cancellations, audits, non-renewals, driver information requests and quotes within established department service and quality standards.
- Reviews documents to determine proper procedural action. Consults with underwriting staff and/or agent for missing or inaccurate information. Accesses other resources for needed information. Refers documents to Underwriting Assistant that are beyond assigned authority level. Identifies and prioritizes work according to department standards. Maintains established department service and quality standards.
- Reviews and enters new account and premium information and compares to established processing guidelines. Reviews renewal policy and premium information and compares to established processing guidelines. Accurately completes endorsements in the appropriate manner and in accordance with established department procedures. Updates workflow application, UAD, DART, or spreadsheets as needed.
- Performs quality review on the entered information to ensure consistency in meeting established department quality and quantity standards. Conducts peer quality review audits.
Indexes underwriting and claims documents within the imaging workflow system.
- Indexes documents by locating key data on imaged documents and keying the appropriate data into the imaging workflow system, e.g., policy, transaction or claims number and document type. Scans documents as needed. Examines imaged documents to ensure a high degree of accuracy and quality is achieved.
- Data entry of information into the appropriate company business system.
- Performs miscellaneous customer service, operational and business support functions as assigned by management.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Works collaboratively with business partners to create business requirements and performs analysis on applications, systems and related software; and serves as a liaison between the business sponsor and the developer on projects. Provides project management with project tasks and estimates. Delivers projects while focusing on speed to market and quality solutions.
- Develops and defines user stories, acceptance criteria and assumptions in collaboration with the agile team and SMEs to facilitate a strong solution with risk mitigation leveraging Lean or Agile practices including Scrum ceremonies – backlog grooming, daily scrum, Sprint Demo and Sprint Retro.
- Develops and maintains a healthy product backlog (vetted and approved by the Product Owner) for the project team and communicates with other project teams when dependencies are identified.
- Collaboratively leads discussions to convey and gather pertinent project related information. Conducts a focused meeting to identify the best understood and most relevant needs to be addressed. Communicates with the stakeholders in business terms free of technical jargon. Ensures senior business leaders have a clear understanding of business solution options related to the project.
- Gathers data and analyzes business and user needs in collaboration with business partners and development. Collaboratively gathers and creates thorough business requirements. Perform high-level business analysis to determine project benefit realization and return on investment figures.
- Performs analysis of customer requests and provides system requirements and project specifications. Makes recommendations on hardware and software procurement to support business goals. Gathers data and analyzes complex business problems and assesses how automated systems can be implemented to solve them.
- Works out incremental solutions to meet the needs that can be built quickly while adhering to long term strategies and governances. Insures all projects adhere to Sarbanes-Oxley data center and security testing and compliance.
- Develops presentations, communication documentation and diagrams to support project efforts. Drives and challenges business units on their assumptions of how they will successfully execute their plans.
- Serves as a liaison between the business units, technology teams and support teams. As necessary, elevates communication and issues to the necessary team members. Provides user support during implementations.
- Consults Product Owner when business priorities conflict or needs change.
- Educates internal stakeholders in both one-on-one and group settings to ensure agile processes and project methodology are understood, applied and trusting relationships are built.
- Remains current in business analysis practices and coaches and/or mentors team members in business analysis practices.
- Mentors and provides technical guidance to Business Systems Analysts.
- Examines and analyzes policies, contracts and claim forms to determine coverage.
- Investigates loss in a prompt manner by telephone or correspondence to determine the extent of the Company’s liability. Requests necessary reports, e.g., police reports, fire reports, property damage inspections, etc.
- Utilizes independent adjusting services to assist in the claim investigation as appropriate.
- Establishes accurate claim reserves and re-evaluates exposures and reserves during the life of the claim.
- Correctly enters claim data and file documentation into claim and related systems for reporting purposes.
- Negotiates settlement or conclusion of claim.