Surveys business operations and consults with policyholders and underwriting to determine the type and level of exposures and controls needed. Determines customers’ ability to control the exposures by gathering information through physical surveys, program audits, loss history analysis, comparison to industry standards and customer interviews. Provides training, mentoring, specialized technical advice and counsel to staff and customers. Assists Underwriters with risk selection and ongoing account management.
Continental Western Group
IA, Urbandale - 11201 Douglas Avenue
Investigates low to medium level commercial casualty claims in a prompt, equitable manner by analyzing coverage, liability/compensability and damages; evaluating reserves; and negotiating settlement or conclusion of claim.
- Examines and analyzes policies, contracts and claim forms to determine coverage.
- Investigates loss in a prompt manner by on-site investigation, telephone, or correspondence to determine the extent of the Company’s liability. Requests necessary reports, e.g., police reports, fire reports, medical records, property damage inspections, etc. Utilizes independent adjusting services to assist in the claim investigation as appropriate.
- Establishes accurate claim reserves and re-evaluates exposures and reserves during the life of the claim. Correctly enters claim data and file documentation into claim and related systems for reporting purposes.
- Negotiates settlement or conclusion of claim.
- Participates in educational, coaching and mentoring opportunities to enhance claims adjusting skills and knowledge.
The Commercial Underwriting Manager is responsible for effectively managing an assigned commercial underwriting function and staff. Drives profitable underwriting results and managed growth through leadership, development and engagement. Directly supervises Commercial Underwriters and Field Commercial Underwriters and is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this unit.
- Assists in development and implementation of macro (regional and enterprise) as well as micro (state, city, rural area, agent level) strategies for driving long term success in middle market and small commercial property and casualty across all major lines of business.
- Manages an assigned commercial underwriting function and staff through delegation of underwriting authority. Ensures adherence to Letter of Authority and other Underwriting standards and guidelines.
- Monitors the risk acceptability, pricing adequacy and classification accuracy of accounts to ensure profitability and managed growth of business. Consults with underwriters and Home Office Underwriting on risk acceptability, coverages, pricing, terms and conditions.
- Underwrites accounts exceeding authority level of underwriting staff by analyzing applications, risk services reports, Motor Vehicle Reports (MVRs), financial reports, etc. Determines accurate classification of business, policy contract forms and pricing of risk. Refers accounts to Home Office Underwriting, as needed, based on established guidelines.
- Develops a high performing team of Middle Market and Small Commercial Underwriting professionals through leadership acumen and execution. Demonstrates genuine care and delivers coaching to staff and leaders in order to further develop their skills set and performance for current and future roles. Provides frequent and specific constructive feedback on a regular basis. Contributes to the organization’s success by developing business unit and individual performance goals and measuring results. Provides recognition and acknowledgement of key achievements.
- Engages agency partners through selective travel, involvement in distribution related events, and correspondence on key accounts. Contributes leadership and oversight of the selection and management of the distribution plant of independent agencies.
- Conducts quarterly underwriting file quality reviews and shares results with the Regional Manager. Develops and implements action plans in response to file quality reviews.
- Monitors and reports on key performance indicators for the portfolio related to pipelines, quotes, new business, total book of business, mix of business, retention, loss performance, rate attainment, etc.
- Partners with leaders in other business units (Home Office Underwriting, Claims, Risk Services, Customer Experience, IT, Analytics) on continued growth in effectiveness of critical business processes and products.
Surveys business operations and consults with policyholders and underwriting to determine the type and level of exposures and controls needed. Determines the customers; ability to control the exposures, by gathering information through physical surveys, program audits, loss history analysis, comparison to industry standards and customer interviews. Assists Underwriting with risk selection and ongoing account management.