Please Enable Cookies to Continue
Please enable cookies in your browser to experience all the personalized features of this site, including the ability to apply for a job.
Here are our current job openings. Please click on the job title for more information, and apply from that page if you are interested.
The system cannot access your location for 1 of 2 reasons:
- Permission to access your location has been denied. Please reload the page and allow the browser to access your location information.
- Your location information has yet to be received. Please wait a moment then hit [Search] again.
Click column header to sort
This position is part of the Lawyers underwriting segment for Berkley Select and supports the achievement of established department goals related to profit, growth, customer service and producer relations. Evaluate risk characteristics to determine potential business opportunities in accordance with guidelines and philosophy. Develop and maintain assigned agent & brokerage relationships.
- Manage key and/or target broker relationships and expectations.
- Manage the expectations of and communicate underwriting decisions, requirements, and philosophies to brokerage community.
- Maintain producer / agency contact log information in electronic databases.
- Assist in distributing business opportunities to underwriting team members to achieve efficient and effective underwriting (based on work flow, ability and priority).
- Provide final approval and guidance on risk analysis presented by members of the underwriting department in accordance with authority levels.
- Evaluate risk characteristics of submissions to determine business opportunities in accordance with guidelines and company philosophy.
- Price, design and recommend policy format for quoted submissions.
- Review underwriting documents for accuracy prior to their release to brokers and/or company clients.
- Discuss, analyze and interpret Berkley Select policy forms and coverage issues.
- Suggest and/or develop endorsements.
- Provide research assistance in analyzing competitor forms.
- Discuss, analyze and interpret industry policy form and coverage enhancements.
- Assist with training other members of the underwriting and/or support staff on underwriting procedures.
Responsible for the handling, oversight and overall management of complex professional liability claims, primarily Employment Practices Liability (EPL) claims, but also some private company Directors and Officers (D&O). Recognized as a technical expert in the interpretation of complex or unusual claims-made policy coverages. Under limited management direction, will analyze, coordinate and resolve claims within assigned limits of broad authority.
- Manages complex investigations of professional liability claims including coverage issues, liability, compensability and damages. Determines if a major claim should be settled or litigated and implements an appropriate resolution strategy accordingly. Effectively manages loss costs and claim expenses.
- Manages all types of investigative activity or litigation on major claims, including the posting of appropriate reserves in a timely manner. Coordinates discovery and litigation strategy with panel attorneys and/or counsel retained by the insured.
- Negotiates complex settlement packages, and authorizes payment within scope of authority, settling claims in the most cost effective manner and ensuring timely issuance of disbursements.
- Makes recommendations on claims processes and resolution strategies to management.
- Analyzes claim activities; prepares and presents reports to management and other internal business partners and clients.
- Works with attorneys, account representatives, agents, and insureds regarding the handling and/or disposition of highly complex claims.
- Provides guidance and assistance to less experienced claims staff and other functional areas.
- Interaction and consultation with business partners including underwriting, agents and management regarding industry activity and trends.
- Coordinate payment of attorney/vendor claim expenses and fees in a timely manner.