Click column header to sort
The Commercial Underwriting Specialist accepts, retains and prices agribusiness insurance risks of significant size or technical complexity in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level. Manages book of business to achieve profitable growth objectives by properly classifying and pricing risks; building strong internal and external business relationships; analyzing competitive marketing data, and developing, implementing and monitoring action plans as appropriate. Serves as the point of contact for assigned agencies and is responsible for the agency relationship. Serves as technical underwriting resource to staff and facilitates the placement of facultative reinsurances as needed.
- Assesses new commercial agribusiness insurance risks and determines accurate classification of business, policy contract forms and pricing of risk. Works within broad limits and authority on commercial underwriting accounts of significant size or high technical complexity. Evaluates property (COPE) information, liability exposures, fleet and safety programs, loss history, financial reports, risk control reports, etc. Accepts and prices risk in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level.
- Reviews renewal accounts by examining business operations, classification, contract forms and loss activity. Determines if account is an acceptable risk or if it will be non-renewed. Determines price in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level. Reviews accounts and endorsement requests exceeding Senior Underwriter, Underwriter or Underwriting Assistant’s authority level and takes appropriate procedural action.
- Develops, expands and/or enhances agency relationships to promote profitability and growth of new business and the retention of existing business. Travels and meets with agents and customers to enhance business relationships. Educates agency staff on pricing, product set and risk selection philosophy. Participates in the agency management process. Assesses the strengths and weaknesses of agencies and assists them in achieving the mutual goal of sustained profitable growth.
- Identifies new business opportunities from the agency force to assess, quote, inspect and accept. Collaborates with Underwriting team, Risk Control, Claims, IT and Senior Management to create strong agency partnerships and build a profitable book of business. Effectively manages book of business to achieve established profitability, growth and retention goals.m
- Serves as a technical underwriting resource to underwriting staff and agents regarding products, coverages and rating procedures. Provides professional development knowledge and guidance to Senior Underwriters, Underwriters, Underwriting Assistants and other functional areas.
- Identifies and handles accounts that require placement of facultative reinsurance and facilitates placement through W.R. Berkley Corporation approved markets.
- Analyzes agency results, competitive marketing data and operating environment of territory/agency. Stays current on relevant insurance industry trends and issues.
Provides strategic direction and leadership for Underwriting Proactively participates with the CUO, senior management team and functional department staff in developing and executing strategic plans to meet business objectives and ensure operational effectiveness. Establishes underwriting philosophies and guidelines to support the business plan goals of profitability, managed growth and enhanced competitive advantage. Fosters a workplace environment consistent with the values and mission outlined by senior leadership.
- Collaborates with the CUO and senior leadership to develop and execute tactical and strategic business plans including strategic underwriting objectives, underwriting strategies, and underwriting and workflow best practices. Provides leadership in the development of product, pricing, business systems and workflow. Oversees and ensures the successful execution of business operations initiatives to enhance profitability, productivity and efficiency.
- Directs underwriting authority grants as well as audit practices to ensure underwriting controls and guideline adherence.
- Participates in developing, maintaining or enhancing customer relationships to promote profitability and growth and the retention of existing business. Includes physical & virtual partnership visits with select middle market accounts.
- Ensures underwriting business unit staff has solid appreciation and understanding of Berkley Agribusiness risk appetite and market differentiators; business opportunities and targets; competitive threats; and emerging market trends.
- Evaluates business unit’s underwriting performance by developing metrics and success criteria to measure and track key performance factors to achieve desired outcomes (i.e., growth, risk quality, profit, premium, policies in force, service standards, loss ratio, expenses, etc.). Develops and provides oversight for risk quality program including underwriting audit process. Provides results to staff and management team and develops plans to resolve issues.
- Collaborates with Business Development and functional business units to identify and implement strategies and solutions to improve production efficiency and effectiveness to support the organization’s goals.
- Attracts, coaches and develops talent to ensure a staff capable of carrying out business strategies. Contributes to company’s success by developing business unit and individual staff goals, measuring results, rewarding achievement or taking corrective action, as necessary. Mentors staff by providing frequent and specific constructive feedback. Places emphasis on talent management and succession planning.
- Duties may include accountability for, but is not limited to: Premium Audit; Facultative Reinsurance relationships; ; liaison to other WRBC operating units, including close collaboration with BSS, BTS and the other Specialty WRBC operating units on the SSP shared platform as well as International Solutions liaison with WRBC international companies; Staff and Product Underwriting functions; and responsibility for cross functional / inter-department communication, workflows, and projects.
- Plans, allocates and manages financial budget by anticipating expenditures, accurately forecasting resource needs/costs and properly accounting for expenses to meet requirements and achieve fiscal responsibility.
- Leads or participates in various strategic initiatives and project teams as needed. Directly supervises Underwriting Managers and/or Underwriting Directors.
The Business Development Specialist is accountable for providing direction and leadership for their assigned territory. Partners with management team to ensure effective marketing, planning and execution resulting in retention, growth and profitability of business. Leads and influences agencies through creation and execution of sales strategies that drive an effective pipeline of new clients, profit and retention. Identifies new distribution opportunities and recommends agency appointments, while increasing relevancy in existing agencies.
- Serves as primary relationship, sales and business development leader for the territory. Travels to enhance relationships with agencies and clients resulting in business retention and new business opportunities.
- Collaborates with agencies and leadership in establishing new customer relationships and to identify, research, and develop pipeline opportunities. Drives the sales processes including prospect prioritization, initial contact and pursuit strategy, identification of opportunity, due diligence and overall management of new customer acquisition.
- Works with Underwriting and Underwriting Management to manage the territory book of business and identifies market opportunities by analyzing competitor intelligence, market and industry research, loss ratios, mix of business, policy count, premium growth, hit ratios and business retention.
- Develops, maintains and enhances client relationship related to profit improvement and Risk Control compliance. Uses resources available to build pipeline of new customer leads in conjunction with key agency partners. Maximizes the agency segmentation process and associated resource commitments.
- Ensures that tools, training and support are in place to positively impact success for the agencies and territory. Identified and communicates training needs and opportunities. Participates in program and product orientation meetings in conjunction with internal business partners including but is not limited to Underwriting, Risk Control, Actuary, Business Development, and Claims.
- Participates in the company’s distribution and operational planning process where current-year objectives are reviewed and future-years' objectives are developed. Aligns territory business objectives to support organizational goals of optimized profitability, managed growth and competitive advantage.
- Collaborates with Underwriting Management to establish and manage budgets and resources including explaining variances and related reporting.
- Field facing role, engaged with Agents and Clients to scale our distribution partners and client portfolio
- Full Letter of Authority
- Client Pipelining
- Cross-functional Territory Team Leadership
- Portfolio and Agency Performance management
- Loss Sensitive Evolution:
- Strategic partnership with cross-functional loss sensitive resources
- Formalize the go-to-market strategy on a national level
- Support distribution growth of identified Loss Sensitive broker partners
- Execute an effective sales cycle and build a loss sensitive client pipeline