Click column header to sort
Evaluates information and performs basic underwriting functions in support of the Underwriting staff. Assures risks meet established eligibility guidelines and complies with company and regulatory standards. Reviews information for standard new business, renewals, quotes and endorsements within established time and quality standards.
- Supports Underwriter by reviewing incoming correspondence and applications to determine proper procedural action. Examines information provided in the application and related resources to determine if risk meets established eligibility guidelines.
- Consults agent or obtains reports for Underwriter when additional information is necessary. Routes risk-involved matters that are beyond assigned authority level to Underwriter for evaluation. Maintains established department service and quality standards.
- Evaluates standard renewal commercial property/casualty accounts and endorsements, within authority level, by reviewing updated account information, claims experience, risk control surveys, risk acceptability and pricing. Consults agent for additional information when necessary. Pulls third party data into underwriting file as required.
- Answers basic underwriting questions from agents. Routes risk-involved matters to Underwriter for evaluation. Reviews final policies for all lines of business and routes to agent.
Accepts, retains and prices agribusiness insurance risks of significant size or technical complexity in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level. Manages book of business to achieve profitable growth objectives by properly classifying and pricing risks; building strong internal and external business relationships; analyzing competitive marketing data, and developing, implementing and monitoring action plans as appropriate. Serves as the point of contact for assigned agencies and is responsible for the agency relationship. Serves as technical underwriting resource to staff and facilitates the placement of facultative reinsurances as needed.
- Assesses new commercial agribusiness insurance risks and determines accurate classification of business, policy contract forms and pricing of risk. Works within broad limits and authority on commercial underwriting accounts of significant size or high technical complexity. Evaluates property (COPE) information, liability exposures, fleet and safety programs, loss history, financial reports, risk control reports, etc. Accepts and prices risk in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level.
- Reviews renewal accounts by examining business operations, classification, contract forms and loss activity. Determines if account is an acceptable risk or if it will be non-renewed. Determines price in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level. Reviews accounts and endorsement requests exceeding Senior Underwriter, Underwriter or Underwriting Assistant’s authority level and takes appropriate procedural action.
- Develops, expands and/or enhances agency relationships to promote profitability and growth of new business and the retention of existing business. Travels and meets with agents and customers to enhance business relationships. Educates agency staff on pricing, product set and risk selection philosophy. Participates in the agency management process. Assesses the strengths and weaknesses of agencies and assists them in achieving the mutual goal of sustained profitable growth.
- Identifies new business opportunities from the agency force to assess, quote, inspect and accept. Collaborates with Underwriting team, Risk Control, Claims, IT and Senior Management to create strong agency partnerships and build a profitable book of business. Effectively manages book of business to achieve established profitability, growth and retention goals.
- Serves as a technical underwriting resource to underwriting staff and agents regarding products, coverages and rating procedures. Provides professional development knowledge and guidance to Senior Underwriters, Underwriters, Underwriting Assistants and other functional areas.
- Identifies and handles accounts that require placement of facultative reinsurance and facilitates placement through W.R. Berkley Corporation approved markets.
The Risk Control Managing Consultant is the highest level individual contributor field position within the Risk Control organization. The role is highly visible to our largest accounts, agents and programs. Incumbent will consult, coordinate services and evaluate commercial operations across a broad spectrum of large risks. Frequently interacts with owners, managers, employees, agents and underwriting to determine the type and level of exposures present and controls needed. Determines customer’s ability to control the exposures by gathering information through physical surveys, program audits, loss history analysis, comparison to industry standards and customer interviews. Provides training, mentoring, specialized technical advice and counsel to staff on service planning and stewardship. Assists underwriting with risk selection and ongoing account management.
- Manage the risk control process on large account acquisition, renewal and service across the spectrum of assigned risks, and programs. Facilitate and coordinate cross-functional account stewardship activities to ensure stewardship best practices are met.
- Survey commercial operations for property, liability, workers compensation and business auto hazards and controls. Evaluate physical conditions, safety practices, and hazardous situations according to knowledge of consensus standards, established underwriting guidelines and governmental regulations. Leverages Safety experience and technical expertise to report on large or complex operations. Observes business operations and management practices to determine safety issues and hazards. Analyzes history of incidents and evaluates scenes of accidents to determine root causes and to consult in development of accident prevention programs. Measures insured area(s), calculates frontage, records description and amount of stock, and photographs or drafts scale drawings of properties to identify factors affecting risk acceptability and insurance premiums.
- Prepares timely service plans, written reports and correspondence of findings and recommendations for risk improvement.
- Consults with insured in regard to activities and programs to control losses and improve safety. Confers with employees of insured, provides informational materials and conducts training as needed to induce compliance with safety standards, codes and regulations.
- Prepares and assists in the completion of assigned file audits utilizing the internal toolkit audit system. Provides training, mentoring, specialized technical advice and counsel to internal staff regarding regulations, hazards and controls associated with area(s) of expertise.
- Serves as a Stewardship and Service Subject Matter Expert to the largest accounts.
- Position will not have direct reports
- Position can be worked remotely T
The Underwriting Director will lead an assigned team within the Underwriting Department to support the company’s business plan goals of profitability, managed growth and enhanced competitive advantage and to ensure that professional and prompt underwriting service is provided to customers.
- Recruits, trains, challenges, motivates and mentors underwriting staff to assure excellence in customer service, quality, profitability and productivity. Leads and utilizes team meetings to share information and solicit input from staff. Serves as technical underwriting resource to team.
- Provides product development support and research, workflow efficiencies, and best practices for the Underwriting Department.
- Helps the underwriting team assess new and renewal middle-market food and commercial agribusiness insurance risks and determines accurate classification of business, policy contract forms and pricing of risk through referrals per Letters of Authority.
- Works within broad limits and authority on commercial underwriting accounts of significant size or high technical complexity.
- Monitors and analyzes underwriting production metrics including but not limited to loss experience, agency performance, identifying trends and analyzing competitive marketing data.
- Collaborates closely with other functional areas of Business Development, Risk Control, Claims and IT to accomplish goals and projects that will help build and maintain a profitable book of business.