Click column header to sort
Staff level position performing various duties related to the financial reporting process. Areas of responsibility include GAAP/Stat financial statement preparation and reporting, reinsurance accounting, reconciliations and monitoring cash flow. All functions focus on both accurate and timely completion based on the close schedule.
- Preparation of accurate GAAP financial statements and reporting packages as assigned, including journal entries, supporting schedules and analysis, meeting all due dates per closing schedule.
- Reinsurance accounting, reconciliation and reporting.
- Responsible for timely and accurate account reconciliations as assigned (including analysis and resolution of reconciling items).
- Responsible for the accuracy of results for assigned programs.
- Report and settle Reinsurance remittances on a timely basis.
- Monitor cash settlements from both Profit Centers and Reinsurers.
- Analyze program results and anticipate future impacts from changing terms.
- Prepares analysis and utilize reporting tools to obtain information from the general ledger and/or financial data warehouse as required to assist with the reconciliation and analytic duties related to position.
- Assists in the support of internal and external audits/examinations.
- Active pursuit of continuous process improvement and progress measurement (metrics)
- Working with Regional Presidents and Segment Leader, responsible for creating/establishing long-term vision and strategic direction for our “Flow/small” business segment
- Establish an enterprise economic model that leads to sustained growth/profitability
- “Shared”* P&L responsibility
- *In order to maintain proper alignment with Regional companies, our “Flow Business Center” will share 50/50 all revenues/profit/loss with all regionals.
- Build a “state-of-the-art” operation center & team utilizing leading-edge technology platforms
- Utilizing modeled underwriting & selection
- Automated operational approaches that streamline processes
- Create modern, delightful customer experiences that combine “real people” with self-selected features
- In conjunction with Regional Company Underwriting & Distribution Leaders, create territorial underwriting and distribution strategies that lead to consistent/superior growth & profitability
- Responsible for innovation culture creation that is consistent throughout the regional segment
- Build modeled underwriting selection and pricing components
- Build automated operational approaches that streamline
Contribute to continued development and growth of our business unit by:
- Assisting in the servicing of our business in our efforts to satisfy service standards;
- Taking on database and report development in order to develop more underwriting tools;
- Engaging in effective interaction with underwriters and underwriting assistants in order to best assist them in day-to-day tasks;
- Learning the skills it will take to develop into an efficient and effective underwriter; and
- Becoming passionate about construction professional insurance.
The successful candidate will provide technical support to underwriting staff and will be responsible for:
- Backfilling Phoenix with all historical account data: we need to backfill all underwriting data for all bound HARMONY accounts and then begin backfilling all historical unbound account data for PERFORM, OPUS, and HARMONY;
- Creation and management of our large and target account database and a regional brokerage marketing plan
- Phoenix tidy-up and additional data capture (tidy-up coverage changes that occurred via mid-term transactions; assign a “Contractor Type” classification to all contractor accounts for the purposes of analyzing our portfolio by that dimension)
- Learn and become passionate about our business: If the intern can evidence the skills and aptitude to be part of our team, it is possible that they could join us in the future as we need young people to get excited about getting into the business.
The Commercial Underwriting Manager is responsible for effectively managing an assigned commercial underwriting function and staff. Drives profitable underwriting results and managed growth through leadership, development and engagement. Leads the development and implementation of strategies for driving long term success in middle market property and casualty across all major lines of business. Position will be based in Des Moines Metro Area or remotely from Indiana, Illinois or Michigan.
Develops a high performing team of Middle Market Underwriting professionals through leadership acumen and execution. Demonstrates genuine care and delivers coaching to staff and leaders in order to further develop their skills set and performance for current and future roles. Contributes to the organization’s success by developing business unit and individual performance goals and measuring results.
Monitors the risk acceptability, pricing adequacy and classification accuracy of accounts to ensure profitability and managed growth of business. Consults with underwriters and Home Office Underwriting on risk acceptability, coverages, pricing, terms and conditions.
Underwrites accounts exceeding authority level of underwriting staff and determines accurate classification of business, policy contract forms and pricing of risk.
Engages agency partners through selective travel, involvement in distribution related events, and correspondence on key accounts. Contributes leadership and oversight of the selection and management of the distribution plant of independent agencies.
This position is responsible for reviewing, investigating, evaluating, negotiating and the processing of first and third party commercial auto claims for our Environmental division which are generally larger and more complex with an authority level up to $100,000.
- Complete coverage analysis
- Conduct the necessary investigation, either by phone, or through independent adjusters, to determine coverage, liability and damages.
- Evaluate, negotiate, and settle first party physical damage, third party property damage and severe and/or complex bodily injury claims within authority granted, or seek authority for those claims in excess of authority.
- Resolve coverage disputes with insureds and agents
- Prepare coverage opinion letters
To adjust claims as assigned, to perform all claim duties associated with the investigation, evaluation and resolution of all claims assigned.
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Understands and can apply coverage for the claims assigned. Issues appropriate RORs and disclaimers.
- Conducts the necessary investigation, either by phone, or through independent adjusters, to determine coverage, liability and damages.
- Evaluates, negotiates, and settles assigned claims within authority granted, or seeks authority for those claims in excess of authority.
- Identifies subrogation/contribution/deductible recovery opportunities and effectively pursues recovery when appropriate.
- Assigns and actively directs independent adjusters as well as defense attorneys. Complies with litigation management guidelines.
- Keeps claim files maintained in a consistent and organized manner, diaries are kept current, and reserves are constantly assessed for adequacy throughout the life of the claim.
- Complies with reinsurance and client reporting guidelines.
- Issues loss and expense payments properly and on a timely basis.
- May perform other functions as assigned.
- Leads OWL and other claims projects and implementations as directed by the Vice President group, including development, coordination and presentation of business cases, cost/benefit analyses, and cost/benefits capture and reporting. Actively researches and participates in industry forums for new technologies and processes, and shares intel and recommendations with the Vice President group. Serves as proprietor of both OWL projects and related technology roadmaps.
- (a) Leads the Claim Operations team and (b) coordinates/facilitates the Vice President group, including organization and facilitation of meetings, and development and coordination of follow up action plans.
- Directly manages and is responsible for the Systems Admin, Vendor, Document Development, and OWL Website teams, including their processes and performance.
- Serves as point person, liaison and representative of Claims working with IT, BTS, other internal departments, and outsourced technology providers.
- For GWCC, represents and coordinates the business units and serves as point person for implementations, upgrades, enhancements, JIRA ticket management, and other related functions.
- Responsible for exploring process improvement and consistency opportunities across companies, capitalizing on the GWCC platform, by presenting recommendations for consideration to the Vice President group.
- For RDW/EDW/BDW, represents and coordinates the business units and serves as business liaison for development of consistent data and reporting requirements including leadership of related
- Predictive analytics applications.
- Leads vendor management and coordination of shared vendors across the Regional Segment, including contracting, SLAs, quality assurance, administration, interfaces, etc.
- Leads management of Medicare processes, controls and vendors across the Regional Segment including best practices, processes, controls, supporting GWCC functionality and BTS involvement.
- RSS Subro involvement/responsibilities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Creates accurate and dependable financial reporting for the organization which adequately reflects the financial condition of the company.
- Assists with determination of loss and loss adjustment expense Incurred but Not Reported (“IBNR”) reserves for all lines of insurance.
- Conducts rate review, ratemaking, rate adequacy and price monitoring processes to achieve profitability and growth targets.
- Collaborate with the data science team to integrate predictive modeling into the ratemaking process
- Performs data, statistical and trend analysis.
- Delivers the actuarial perspective and spreads the analytical mindset in a credible manner.
- Collaborates on the long-range planning and forecasting of the company to maximize company performance over time.
- Prepares state rate, rule and product filings.
Accepts, retains and prices moderate to high exposure commercial property and casualty insurance accounts in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level. Manages assigned territory to achieve profitable growth objectives by properly classifying and pricing risks; building strong internal and external business relationships; analyzing competitive marketing data, identifying territory needs; and developing, implementing and monitoring action plans as appropriate. Serves as an underwriting resource by providing knowledge and insight to underwriting staff.
- Reviews renewal accounts by examining business operations, classification, contract forms and loss activity. Determines if account is an acceptable risk or if it will be non-renewed. Determines price in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level. Reviews endorsement requests exceeding Underwriter and/or Underwriting Assistant’s authority level and takes appropriate procedural action.
- Assesses new commercial insurance risks and determines accurate classification of business, policy contract forms and pricing of risk. Works within broad limits and authority on commercial underwriting accounts of moderate to high exposure. Evaluates MVRs, financial reports, loss control reports, etc. Accepts and prices risk in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level.
- Develops, expands and/or enhances agency relationships to promote profitability and growth of new business and the retention of existing business. Travels assigned territory and meets with agents to enhance business relationships. Educates agency staff on Company’s pricing and risk selection philosophy. Participates in the agency management process. Assesses the strengths and weaknesses of agencies and assists them in achieving the mutual goal of sustained profitable growth.
- Works in partnership with regional Business Development staff to identify new business opportunities from the agency force to assess, quote, inspect and accept. Collaborates to classify agencies within established marketing segments; analyze territory’s mix of business, production, and loss experience; establish agencies’ annual premium goals; and conduct quarterly and annual review of agencies’ profit and growth results.
- Effectively manages assigned territory to achieve established profitability, growth and retention goals. Analyzes agency results and competitive marketing data to identify trends and opportunities. Develops, implements and monitors action plans as appropriate. Monitors and reports on material changes within the territory’s legal environment. Reviews industry periodicals and journals, legislative actions and court decisions to develop a broader industry awareness and understanding of competition within the territory.
- Serves as underwriting resource to underwriting staff and agents regarding products, coverages and rating procedures. Provides professional development knowledge and guidance to Underwriter Trainees, Underwriters, Underwriting Assistants and other functional areas.
The Marine Claims Adjuster will evaluate and settle marine claims under moderate supervision. This includes the investigation, determination and evaluation of coverage, liability and damages as well as setting proper reserves. The adjuster will interact with various parties involved in the claims process (surveyors and attorneys) and handle claims consistent with our "best practices". Lines of business include brown water hull & machinery, protection & indemnity, marine general liability, terminal operator’s legal liability, wharfingers liability, builders risk and pilots liability.
The full-time Auto Bodily Injury Claim Representative, located in Houston, TX, will be responsible for handling, negotiating, and resolving third-party commercial automobile bodily injury claims to conclusion. This includes coverage verification, policy interpretation, liability investigation, and evaluation and negotiation of bodily injury claims consistent with company policies and state regulations.
The Underwriting Assistant will provide general operational support to the Department including the processing of policies, endorsements, submissions and other client related correspondence for new and existing accounts.
- Sends requests for additional information (inspection reports, financials, audits)
- Policy creation, binding, and issuance
- Issues notices of cancellation or reinstatement within authority
- Processing of endorsements and related correspondence
- Provides reports upon request
- Responsible for maintaining documentation in all Underwriting files
- Provides backup support for clearance processing
- Other duties as assigned
The Finance Director reports to the Regional CFO and works closely with Finance personnel across the region.
This highly visible role is a strategic and hands-on role that requires solid financial and operational acumen, strong leadership skills and in-depth knowledge of finance disciplines to ensure seamless delivery of finance support and financial management in the region. Under the direction of the regional CFO, the Finance Director gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes financial results to ensure the achievement of short- and long-term financial goals. As a key member of the Finance team, the Finance Director will collaborate with management to assist in delivering comprehensive, consistent and actionable analysis in support of the creation and maintenance of the long-range financial plan, continuous improvement activities aimed to maximize profitability and ROE.
- Ensures the delivery of timely and accurate reporting of all the countries where we operate in the Latin America Region (monthly/quarterly/year-end financial reporting, USGAAP, management & statutory reporting).
- Supports regional management in the development, implementation and monitoring of key metrics (KPIs) to enable better understanding of results for timely and effective decision making purpose.
- Oversees the timely preparation and reporting of the region’s annual business plan.
- Ensures that the organization has the appropriate processes and controls in order to manage, measure and control the risk of the business, in compliance with corporate governance, regulatory / Sarbanes Oxley compliance, etc.
- Supports the timely delivery of complete and accurate financial information to external auditors / regulatory examiners in support of their audits / examinations.
- Supports the Spanish Holding entity in the areas of: accounting, tax, regulatory & legal, and external audit.
- Provides ad hoc financial analysis as needed, including but not limited to scenario modeling, capital budgeting, and financial due diligence.
- Becomes a trusted partner and advisor to regional management.
- Recommends, develops, and implements policies and programs that guide the organization in maintaining and improving its competitive position and profitability.
- Work with WRBC on group level projects / system changes impacting the region, as required.
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual who wants to join our growing team at Berkley Mid-Atlantic.
- Gather appropriate information to profitably underwrite a variety of Middle Market commercial risks.
- Research, formulate and implement solutions for complex issues and accounts.
- Determine final coverages and pricing for commercial risks within assigned authority level.
- Review claims and loss information on individual risks. Use this information to identify and re-evaluate accounts and develop strategy for dealing with exposures and frequency issues.
- Take a lead role relative to Key Account review and recommendations.
- Take ownership of your underwriting territory through strong book management skills.
- Work to develop and maintain agency relationships with a focus on long-term profitability and growth.
- Work in collaboration with Loss Control partners to focus on controlling exposures and maintaining controls. Join Loss Control on visits with individual accounts.
- Maintain established quality and service standards.
- Establish strong working relationships with key producers.
- Mentor less experienced underwriters and serve as a resource for others within the department as needed.
- Successfully build, manage and execute a New Business Pipeline.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Keeps abreast of industry developments, particularly those which impact his or her area(s) of responsibility.
- Understands Berkley Mid-Atlantic’s business and the factors that affect its success.
- Communicates regularly and effectively.
Responsible for managing the underwriting workflow and processes for assigned book of business. Work with underwriters and producers in servicing commercial technology accounts.
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Handle renewal preparation on accounts within assigned territory as directed by underwriter and /or manager. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Preparing and analyzing account loss history reports
- Ordering and analyzing motor vehicle records
- Order and analyzing modeling to properly evaluate catastrophic exposures such as flood, earthquake and wind exposures
- Ordering risk control surveys
- Preparing risk analysis and working with underwriters to properly evaluate exposures on assigned book of business
- Review and analyze applications and obtain missing information from producers.
- Underwrite and process endorsements
- Communicate with agents on matters pertaining to renewal submissions, endorsement requests and other day to day service items.
- Provide clear instruction and guidance to support staff.
- Maintain records and prepare required reports on activity as needed.
- Document underwriting files to decisions.
- Operate according to underwriting authority as delegated by manager.
- May handle a book of renewal business depending upon experience.
- May perform other functions as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. These are functions that a person must be able to perform in the job, either unaided or with the assistance of a “reasonable accommodation”.
- Performs advanced analytics and modeling techniques including but not limited to generalize linear modeling and other forms of multivariate analysis. This role is expected to build, refine and improve existing models as well as develop new techniques and applications to different areas of the company.
- Identifies, retrieves, and prepares data in support of actuarial analysis through SQL, Essbase/SmartView, R and other data sources. Includes internal data (exposure, premium, loss, claims, price, etc.) and various forms of external data (bureau loss costs, bureau trends, macroeconomic data, market share, market pricing, etc.)
- Ensures the accuracy and suitability of data for the business need at hand. Manipulates data, performs preliminary analysis and interprets data through various analytics platforms. Summarizes and presents recommendations.
- Adapts and develops predictive models (both new and existing) using advanced techniques. This includes incorporating new variables, etc., in pursuit of a competitive advantage and creation of economic profit opportunities. Helps shape the overall advanced analytics strategy for the organization.
- Supports the transformation of business intelligence tools from static reporting to dashboards, increasing data visualization and availability, supporting cross-division collaboration and operationalizing advanced analytics.
- Supports the Actuarial function in identifying segments with profitable growth potential and underperforming segments. Assists in proposing corrective actions to improve profitability.
- In additional to regular modeling responsibilities, this person will use critical thinking skills and apply advanced modeling techniques, including but not limited to AI/Machine Learning, to provide insights and solve business problems including techniques such as classification and regression trees, random forests, neural networks, clustering, and other machine learning techniques.
- May participate in other departmental deliverables and activities such as enterprise risk management (including support for catastrophe management), reinsurance strategy and the traditional Actuarial techniques for rate reviews, loss reserving and planning. Provides innovation and leadership when applicable.
- Leads the innovation and efficiency efforts across all company departments.
- Provides support for two Berkley Operating Units: Berkley Luxury Group and Berkley Global Product Recall.
Basic Function and Scope:
Directly responsible for all operations and personnel issues in the claim department. Through file audits, employee appraisals or other avenues, monitors conformance of staff to company and industry standards, procedures and objectives.
- Responsible for providing day to day administrative and technical supervision and guidance to entire claims staff. Identifies and establishes workload standards. Develops procedures and policies to enhance and improve the processing, investigation, and settlement of claims. Reviews and approves settlements of complex and high dollar claims. Coordinates the administration of the quality control program to monitor and control department activities, and implements corrective actions as needed. Approves special handling procedures for specified accounts. Monitors staff for compliance with all statutory regulations, Unfair Claim Practices acts, Best Practices, and special handling instructions.
- Makes budget forecasts, performance reviews, and salary recommendations. Responsible for oversight of all staffing, training, and mentoring. Effectively communicates with all internal and external customers including corporate as required. Resolves personnel related problems within the department.
- For claims in litigation, tracks all scheduled trials, conducts department meetings for discussion of cases scheduled for trial, and decides which claims should proceed to trial. Maintains list of approved panel counsel attorneys and agreed rates. Directly handles those claims in litigation involving coverage disputes in which Berkley Entertainment or another Berkley company is a party.
- Reviews and approves all reservations of rights and denials of coverage for claims. Advises underwriting staff regarding coverage issues, and policy and endorsement form language.
- Directly supervises and mentors AVP’s and maintains a supervisor diary on their files.
- Responds to inquiries from regulatory agencies, and ensures department is in SOX compliance.
- Supports Company’s marketing efforts through account and broker visitations, timely service, designing of action plans to correct deficiencies and participates in presentations as required.
- Participates as an accountable member of the Management team and promotes company strategies and values.
This position will provide processing and technical support to the Underwriting Department. This position will be assessed based on productivity, accuracy and thoroughness, and ability to learn and apply new skills.
- Multi-line rating
- Issuance of multi-line quotes and policies
- Issue bind confirmations for new and renewal policies
- Process policy changes which include endorsements, cancellations, non-renewals, and reinstatements
- Resolve problems relating to processing and eliminate delays
- Inspection ordering and recommendation letters
- Responding to agent’s and insured’s requests for loss runs and copies of forms/endorsements.
- Reinsurance entries and cargo filings.
- Assist with submission and transaction set ups
- Assisting in the quality control /peer review process for the Underwriting Services team.
This role is responsible for performing premium billing and cash receipts activities, collections, and collateral administration. Also, will perform various general ledger activities including journal entries, reconciliations and account analyses. Conduct Premium audits and control testing and reporting.
- Support agency and direct billing of premiums, commission payments and deductible
- Monitor payment, perform collections, apply cash receipts, reconcile agent statements, etc.
- Execute premium audits and correspond with insureds and producers
- Maintain and reconcile general ledger accounts
- Prepare journal entries and financial statement account analyses
- Collaborate and coordinate with underwriters, W.R. Berkley Company employees, auditors, agents and others as needed
- Support SOX controls testing and reporting
- Perform other duties and/or projects as assigned