Click column header to sort
The Senior Claims Examiner will handle all aspects of claims notices and files related to professional liability for Architects & Engineers and Owners/Contractors Professional Construction and accompanying coverages, including but not limited to claims and coverage analysis, liability and damages analysis, reserve setting, reporting, reinsurance analysis and reporting, and travel. The role will manage outside defense and coverage counsel that are assigned on claim or pre-claim files, including cost containment and litigation management and support and assist with marketing and loss prevention education, including development of educational materials, for assigned product lines, as requested or needed. The position will also support and assist functional departments, including marketing, risk management, finance and actuarial, including any related travel, as needed or requested.
Overall responsibilities include:
- Adjusting all aspects of claims and loss notices, including but not limited to claims and coverage analysis, liability and damages analysis, reserve setting, reporting, reinsurance analysis and reporting and coverage litigation.
- Attend mediations, settlement conferences, trials and other claims-related travel as needed or required.
- Support the marketing, risk management, finance and actuarial departments, including any related travel, as needed or requested.
- Assist with or conduct large loss and reinsurance reporting.
- Maintain adjuster’s licenses in all states requiring licenses, including CA.
- Business-related travel as require or needed.
- Assist with internal audits as required or needed.
The Audit Intern is responsible for administrative functions within the audit department and will gain knowledge of the premium audit function at a workers’ compensation insurance carrier. The Audit Intern will assist the audit department by performing the following duties: providing customer service support, processing incoming/outgoing mail, billing final audits per entry guidelines, assisting in-house and independent auditors as needed, reviewing and entering audit invoices, running reports to ensure proper field audit assignments and other general duties as assigned and deemed necessary.
- Handle customer service inquiries via phone and/or e-mail.
- Process incoming/outgoing
- Bill final audits per entry guidelines.
- Obtain audit statuses and assist in-house and independent auditors when
- Review and enter audit invoices for payment.
- Run and analyze reports to ensure all subject policies are field
- Assist audit analysts by providing administrative
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES - MEASUREMENT
- Accuracy - The accuracy of reports and analysis
- Timeliness - Meeting all established deadlines
- Team Player - Willingness to assist others when needed
- Reliability - Consistent attendance and meets deadlines
- Commitment - Adherence and commitment to Audit goals
Gemini Transportation Underwriters is looking for a talented and experienced Senior Accountant who will provide accounting support, reporting and financial functions including but not limited to reinsurance billing/payments, schedule F and other close and planning related activities.
- Responsible for the divisions reinsurance accounting activity; this includes processing Facultative Certifications, posting ceded premiums and ceded reserves/claims, preparation for reinsurer bordereau’s, cash payment and collections processing
- Substantiating the ceded unearned premiums, SOX testing and verification of treaty terms to the system
- Preparation for Schedule F and any other related reinsurance reporting requirements
- Processing of IBNR and related reserve balancing activities with the Actuarial team
- Support assigned daily operations of the accounting department which could include revenue billing, expense management and general ledger reconciliations
- Participate in accounting department’s continual improvement initiative
- Participate in financial and SOX audits
- Provides support for assigned sections for the annual operating plan and budget Monitor expenses and suggest productivity improvements and/or expense saving initiatives
Underwriting Assistants are proficient in processing underwriting support tasks for a single line of business through the lifecycle of an account. Workload will be determined based on a defined set of agency/producer relationships within the territory/region to which the Underwriting Assistant is assigned. Underwriting Assistants will continuously work to develop proficiency in processing the underwriting support tasks for additional lines of business and within the same territory/region to which the Underwriting Assistant is assigned for the lifecycle of an account. The account lifecycle includes, but is not limited to, pre-underwriting file preparation, data entry and rating in applicable policy systems, generation of quote documents, generation of binders/binding confirmation, following-up additional information/subjectivities, policy issuance, mid-term endorsement processing, renewal solicitations, Workers Comp Audits, and cancellations and non- renewals (both Insured and Company request).
Key Risk is looking for an enthusiastic professional who will be responsible for the management of medical only workers’ compensation claims.
- Maintain good lines of communication with employers, adjusters, and providers
- Discuss with an employer, issues relative to an injured workers’ return to work status
- Request medical notes, proper billing format, and other written/verbal information from employers and medical providers to determine appropriateness of payment of medical bills and whether a claim is truly medical only
- Timely and accurately reserve for medical only claims assigned
- Document relevant written and oral communication received relative to medical-only claims in the log notes
- Discuss with an employee, issues relative to whether a bill has been paid or whether travel or medical reimbursement has been issued
- Assist in the management of communication of the unit with customers, providers and injured employees
- Enter medical notes into claim log as required
- Index images as needed
Identify potential subrogation claims and notify appropriate supervisor
Key Risk is looking for an enthusiastic and experience underwriter with established relationships to join our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for contributing to achieving and exceeding the regions’ profit plan through proper risk selection, agency management, and communication of Key Risk’s value proposition.
- Underwrite accounts over $25,000 within established underwriting authority
- Manage a book of business totaling a minimum of $10,000,000
- Develops and maintains relationships with 10-15 agencies
- Responsible for a moderate number of agencies including partners with Advantage and/or Premier status within our Key Alliance agency structure
- Achieves/exceeds planned accident year loss ratio, rate change, renewal retention and inforce premium goals
- Takes initiative to recommend potential improvements in underwriting principles, techniques or appetite
- Complies with insurance filings and regulatory requirements
- Research new market niches, serve as an industry lead, and participate in special projects
- Establishes a knowledge base of agency needs, staff, target markets, and contracted insurers
- Performs agency evaluations and establishes agency goals within required time frames and expectations
Participates effectively in new and renewal team sales activities and Client Service Management (CSM) meetings to obtain and retain profitable business
Carolina Casualty is looking for a talented Claims professional who will be responsible for investigating, assessing, managing and resolving truck, public transportation and other commercial auto claims.
- Oversee, manage and resolve truck, bus, commercial auto and/or public transportation claims
- Initiate and oversee serious automobile accident investigations and rapid response
- Develop strategies and effective plans that drive litigated matters / claims to better results
- Accurately assess and resolve commercial auto insurance coverage issues, analyze facts and allegations in conjunction with all policy provisions, endorsements and amendments
- Draft declination, Reservation of Rights and other coverage letters
- Negotiate outstanding settlements
Become a part of Acadia’s New York Branch! We are currently seeking a production focused Underwriter to grow and build Acadia’s Middle Market commercial book of business in New York. As an Underwriter, your responsibilities will include executing Acadia’s underwriting strategies, traveling throughout the New York territory to attain new business, underwrite a renewal book of business, and develop long-term and profitable agency relationships.
The Senior Catastrophe Analyst will be part of team that has expertise in natural hazards, catastrophe risk, and insurance risk modeling. This is an opportunity for a candidate with up to 10 years catastrophe modeling experience.
The primary functions of the role include:
- Modeling North American natural perils and terrorism accumulations for property and workers’ compensation business lines for several of the Group’s operating companies
- Communicating modeling results with the operating companies, and assisting them in fully utilizing these results in their pricing and exposure management
- Maintain regular communication with the operating companies to understand business needs
- Contribute and provide data and information to support rating agency returns and reinsurance placements
- Become active participant in catastrophe management team by sharing knowledge, expertise, and information
- Collating and reporting on catastrophe aggregations
- Assisting with corporate reporting on catastrophe modeling
- Assisting in the development of broad exposure-based models to estimate potential natural peril losses in business lines that do not fit within the commercial cat models
- Developing and implementing reporting and data solutions using SQL Server
- Participating in the design of operations and procedures to improve Catastrophe Modeling process
- In-depth validation of vendor catastrophe models including evaluation of new model releases
- Assist in Group assessment of potentially exposed policies during “live” catastrophe events
This challenging and rewarding role involves a high level of interaction with our operating companies, providing catastrophe modeling and analysis through the entire modeling cycle.
Do you want to be part of a dynamic and growing organization that encourages creativity, collaboration, innovation and individual expression? Are you an insurance professional who wants to think “outside the box” in creating products, underwriting and servicing customers? Berkley Healthcare Financial Lines (BHFL) is a dynamic, start-up company that encourages a pioneering mindset with the financial backing of a Fortune 500 company. At BHFL, everyone’s voice counts and we expect to hear from everyone. If you want to work in a unique insurance company like no other, come explore career options with us.
The Senior Underwriter is responsible for submission generation, underwriting and policy issuance of Directors and Officers Liability, Employment Practices Liability, Fiduciary Liability, Fidelity/Crime for private commercial and not-for-profit healthcare organizations. The underwriting position will be part of the newly formed Berkley Healthcare Financial Lines group. While our main offices are in West Hartford, CT, Chicago and Los Angeles we will consider candidates nationwide. The senior underwriter will be responsible for handling new and renewal, primary and excess business
W. R. Berkley is seeking a Project Implementation Manager to oversee and implement the legal and compliance aspects of its company-wide NYCRR Part 500 vendor compliance project (the “Project”) for the next twelve months, with the opportunity to become a permanent member of the team. The successful candidate will work directly with internal business, compliance, technology and legal professionals as well as outside counsel to coordinate and implement on the Project on an efficient and timely basis.
- Overseeing and implementing the legal and compliance aspects of the Project.
- Coordinating closely with internal colleagues and outside counsel to ensure timely completion of Project steps and deliverables.
- Completing certain data entry and administrative tasks with respect to legal documents required for the Project.
- Meeting regularly with Project team members and other stakeholders to identify and resolve issues.
- Monitoring the Project status and providing update reports by gathering, analyzing and summarizing relevant information.
W. R. Berkley is seeking a well-rounded attorney to join its multi-faceted corporate legal group on a temporary (9 to 12 month) basis with the opportunity to become a permanent member of the team. The successful candidate will be a business-savvy attorney with experience negotiating and structuring a variety of commercial agreements and advising sophisticated clients on a variety of corporate legal issues.
Some of the key points which make this opportunity attractive:
- While working directly with W. R. Berkley’s legal and compliance departments, you will be surrounded by one of the most sophisticated teams of business executives, lawyers and compliance professionals in the country.
- Work for a company whose leaders pride themselves on integrity, the culture for their employees and a reputation of relationships built on trust and respect with customers and government regulators.
- Reviewing, negotiating and structuring a wide range of commercial contracts.
- Working closely with colleagues in legal, compliance, procurement and operations to craft contract structures and provisions that advance the W. R. Berkley’s interests, effectively mitigate business and legal risk and satisfy applicable laws and regulations.
- Providing practical legal advice to business units across the W. R. Berkley organization.
- Participating in other legal and compliance projects, as needed.
- Oversees outside counsel as necessary to supplement internal resources effectively and efficiently.
Become a member of Acadia's Specialty Marine department and have a direct impact on helping our customers and helping us reach our strategic goals. As an Underwriter, you will build relationships and work closely with independent agents throughout New Hampshire and Vermont. You will be responsible for evaluating, selecting and pricing commercial inland marine policies to ensure profitable growth. Promoting Acadia inland marine products with our insurance agency partners through agency visitation and travel is key. The person in this position must successfully develop and foster excellent relationships with agents and position Acadia to be the marine market of choice, all in support of the company’s marketing strategies.
Under the direction the Field Underwriting Manager the AVP, Life Sciences Production Underwriter is responsible for the new business marketing and production, renewal underwriting and service of business for an assigned group of producers.
- Build strong relationships with brokers to ensure you meet or exceed financial goals including growth, profit, retention, and new business.
- Responsible for account solicitation, risk selection and analysis including the corresponding documentation, pricing and marketing of Berkley Life Sciences products and services for new and existing customers.
- Business development results for assigned territories
- Identify opportunities for account rounding.
- Provide technical support to producers and insureds
- Stay current with all compliance, procedural and workflow changes.
- Work collaboratively and effectively with, underwriting associate, operations, legal, home office underwriting and claims
Our Ideal Candidate is…
Future leadership potential
Self-motivated, driven, relentless
Strong communication, tactful and discreet
Monster of a multi-tasker
Learn about the strategic HR function, supporting HR leaders in recruiting, talent management, workforce planning and strategic planning.
Assist with the coordination and planning of the college recruiting strategy.
Engage in training and innovation activities with the teams
Assist in Human Resources team building and recruitment activities (i.e. team events, on-campus activities)
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to join our growing team and who is looking to make positive impact and grow with the company.
- Work with assigned brokers to solicit and underwrite casualty liability accounts.
- Work with brokers to handle renewal accounts.
- Regularly visit assigned brokers to solicit business, evaluate new business opportunities and enhance relationships with broker.
- Respond to broker requests in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Work with Team Leader, Product Line Manager and Marketing to develop sources of new business.
Berkley North Pacific has an opportunity for a Director, Product Underwriting Manager who will provide strategic direction and leadership for BNP’s Commercial business operation. This role will proactively participate with the Underwriting management team and functional department staff in developing and executing strategic plans to meet BNP’s business objectives including, but not limited to, establishing underwriting philosophies and guidelines to support the BNP business plan goals of profitability, managed growth and enhanced competitive advantage. The position will also foster a workplace environment consistent with the values and mission outlined by the leadership of the Company.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include:
- Develops strategic vision and provides leadership for the Commercial business operation to support company goals of optimized profitability and managed growth. Assists the CUO in developing and implementing strategic objectives, underwriting strategies and underwriting best practices.
- Ensures the Commercial business unit staff has solid appreciation and understanding of BNP’s risk appetite and market differentiators thru the development of Underwriting guides, creation of new Products, identifying potential business opportunities and targets; competitive threats; and emerging market trends.
- Has Underwriting Authority over those individual risks referred by the Underwriting staff as defined by the CUO.
- Working with Actuarial, IT, Product and Filings, coordinates the execution of all Rate and Form filings on behalf of BNP.
- Oversees and responsible for the BNP Premium Audit function and relationship of other W.R. Berkley departments associated with that function.
- In conjunction with Actuarial and BNP’s Data Center, assist in evaluating the business unit’s underwriting performance as respects the primary lines of coverage and Product extensions offered.
- Develops and provides oversight for risk quality program including regional underwriting audits and peer review process. Oversee and execute the applicable SOX requirements, coordinate and be the liaison for WRBC Corporate Underwriting Audits, Reinsurance audits or audits by WRBC Corporate Auditors.
- Provides guidance and direction in the development of underwriting and training tools. Provides Product training to Underwriting staff, Claims and other departments as required.
- Participates in developing, maintaining or enhancing customer relationships to promote profitability and growth of Commercial business and the retention of existing business.
- Attracts, coaches and develops talent to ensure a staff capable of carrying out business strategies. Contributes to BNP’s success by developing departmental and individual staff goals, measuring results, rewarding achievement or taking corrective action, as necessary. Mentors staff by providing frequent and specific constructive feedback. Places emphasis on talent management and succession planning.
- Develops and maintains relationships with other W.R. Berkley Companies to capitalize on business opportunities and efficiencies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
Directly supervises Commercial Product & Underwriting Team and Premium Audit members within the Home Office Underwriting Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Works with the Regional Underwriting team to establish and achieve agency and team goals and objectives. Provides significant input into the development execution of team and line of business plans.
- Involvement with new and renewal key accounts.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with agents within assigned territory.
- As appropriate, communicates company goals and objectives to agents.
- Develops strategic business plans for key agencies and monitors agency performance relative to goals and objectives.
- Seeks out and cultivates new agencies as needed within assigned territory.
- Assists with the evaluation of agencies; monitors agency performance relative to goals and objectives.
- Develops new and enhances existing revenue streams with agents.
- Assists with training agents on Berkley Southeast’s technology.
- Provides input to regional management regarding new and potential products
- Collects and disseminates information on competitor activities, rates, coverages, pricing, etc.
- Spearheads agency appointments and terminations.
- Leads agency review process for respective region/territory.
- Other duties as assigned
Performs customer service, compliance, operational and special project functions for the Risk Control Department and other functional areas as assigned. Retrieves and analyzes data and prepares reports, organizes and leads projects, implements and trains others on computer system enhancements. Demonstrates a proven ability to handle complex and highly sensitive issues. Serves as a liaison between vendors and risk control management.
- Provides support for Risk Control staff by assisting in general administrative functions. Administers Risk Control business software program (RCT). Develops, organizes and performs business procedures and end-user training as it pertains to Risk Control business systems and software. Provides user guidance and technical system expertise to internal staff. Develops forms, evaluates, tests and verifies the accuracy of system enhancements.
- Manages the account stewardship process to ensure that files are up to date. Performs account level loss analysis across the spectrum of service accounts and ensures that they are distributed to assigned team members cross functionally. Audits services files to determine that files are receiving appropriate levels of service and that files are properly documented.
- Analyzes data, creates and distributes weekly, monthly and/or ad hoc reports using various databases and company operating systems. Examines report data to ensure reliability and accuracy through proper documentation and cross-referencing of data sources. Provides summary of data identifying trends and/or discrepancies within the reports.
- Assists department staff by preparing or gathering information. Accurately enters information into appropriate company databases or business systems. Responds to requests for information from internal or external customers. Prepares and/or reviews communications to internal or external customers. Prepares and distributes mass email communications to customers and analyzes data on the usage of the information.
- Monitors and acts as a liaison with existing vendors and other Berkley operating units. Leads the onboarding process for new vendors. Develops process driven procedures and develops/delivers training as necessary to support the business needs of the department. Aids in the delivery and communication of the Key Account Review process.
- Aids with Departments of Insurance (DOI) and W.R. Berkley compliance staff to ensure timely reporting for compliance with governmental and regulatory agencies. Extracts or manually researches information from core applications, surveys or BARS cubes. Prepares information and/or reports needed to fulfill compliance request from various DOI. Aids in the investigation of compliance concerns and determines corrective measures needed to resolve matter to the satisfaction of the DOI. Implements corrective processes following each audit.
- Coordinates or assists in planning meetings, programs, events, luncheons and/or conferences, e.g., agency meetings, company events, promotions, volunteer activities, etc. Assists in reserving facility and arranging catering for on and off-site meetings. Disseminates event information or invitations. Arranges and coordinates travel and monitors expense programs.
- Evaluates and diagnoses processes across Berkley Ag. Analyze existing problems and areas targeted for improvement. Provide process insight and research, workflow efficiencies and aid in the development of best practices by collaborating with members of multiple functional areas.
- Manages and coordinates customer and agency requests for Berkleyag.com and other customer facing systems. Provides training and onboarding to new customers with access to Berkley Ag systems. Ensures all support requests are addressed and fully resolved. Responsible for administering existing and new customer security access to company website.
Manage an assigned underwriting territory to achieve profitable growth, including underwriting new business, renewals, endorsements and other transactions. Identify new business opportunities and manage agency relationships.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop relationships and educate agents within agency plant to maximize opportunities and achieve profitable growth.
- Initiate outbound calls to agencies to identify sales opportunities and collect agent intelligence.
- Achieve new business premium, renewal premium retention and rate change objectives.
- Within company guidelines and granted underwriting authority, evaluate new and renewal account information to determine risk acceptability, terms / conditions to be quoted, and pricing.
- Make sound risk and pricing decisions that achieve profitable loss ratios.
- Maintain underwriting quality score of 90% or greater. Document underwriting file to support acceptability and pricing in accordance with company guidelines.
- Achieve customer service standards, including established objectives for:
o New business quote turnaround
o Renewal quotes
o Endorsement, cancellation, audits and other transactions
o Policy issuance
- Provide detailed issuance instructions to ensure policy is delivered consistent with quoted terms and conditions and in accordance with established guidelines relative to policy construction.
- Review mid-term endorsement requests for acceptability and provide instructions for processing.
- Evaluate premium audit referrals to determine class acceptability and/or appropriateness of current exposure base. Adjust current term with acceptable changes to ensure company gets timely payment of adequate premium.
- Order and review inspections to confirm accounts written are consistent with preliminary underwriting information and takes action when the inspection reveals unacceptable risk characteristics.
- Determine if facultative reinsurance is needed and if so, factor reinsurance cost in gross pricing, complete cession procedures; documentation file, and follow established workflow procedure to ensure proper reporting / accounting.
- Utilize various underwriting tools to:
o Determine acceptable risk characteristics
o Determine accurate exposure classifications
o Set adequate property limits to accomplish appropriate insurance to value
- Rate and quote business to agents