Click column header to sort
The Claim Support Unit is responsible for assisting the claims department and providing superior service to our customers. This includes setting up new losses, monitoring phones and email, assisting with incoming and outgoing mail, other clerical functions and special project as needed. Claim Support Representatives work as a team to maintain proper coverage of all functions and ensure that our internal and external customers’ needs are met in a timely and professional manner. Critical thinking, resourcefulness and a helpful attitude are essential, as well as knowledge and understanding of office computer systems (primarily Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, and Outlook). This position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Accurately and efficiently enter new loss information into USIG’s claimsmanagement system, then accurately direct those losses to the proper claims handling unit.
- Maintain consistent presence in the claims call center to assist callers in answering questions, reporting new claims, checking status of existing claims, transferring to other extensions, and any other needs callers may have.
- Accurately and efficiently index electronic mail (including emails) to the proper claims file in the company’s claims management system.
- Provide a clerical support function for claims representatives, which includes facilitating file-sharing requests through our Berkley Secure File platform.
- Complete special projects as assigned and provide support where needed. This includes participating in USIG cross-functional teams as assigned.
The Actuarial Analyst supports the production and development of the company’s Actuarial function, including and not limited to:
- Production of monthly financial reporting and rate monitoring
- Analysis of quarterly rate and reserve adequacy
- Support for product line reviews and annual planning
- Execution of research and development projects
- Delivery of data required for external reporting
- Collect, compile, analyze, and deliver data on a continual basis, including reconciling data and reviewing it for correctness, usefulness, and relevancy. Core recurring data activities include the production of monthly financial reporting and rate monitoring deliverables, quarterly reserve analysis and rate indication deliverables, and annual product line reviews and planning. Non-recurring data activities frequently arise for research and development projects.
- Support pricing in the form of rate monitoring analysis, quarterly rate indications, product line reviews, and underwriting support for portfolio and large account pricing. In addition to data responsibilities, duties include analyzing historical experience and permissible loss ratios to derive rate indications, reviewing bureau changes, and competitive reviews.
- Support reserving in the form of monthly forecasts and quarterly reserve analyses. In addition to data responsibilities, duties include analyzing actual vs. expected loss emergence and historical claim frequency, severity, and development.
- Support research and development projects, including performing in-depth of analyses of particular areas of interest, developing new reports using business intelligence tools, increasing operational efficiency through streamlining and automation, and developing new analytics solutions including predictive and econometric models.
- Consult with stakeholders across diverse functions and with diverse skillsets to define problems, propose solutions, address questions, incorporate feedback and subject matter expertise, and iterate towards a final work product. Interpret the output of analysis to determine business implications and present results to non-technical stakeholders verbally and in writing.
- Take initiative to learn new concepts, tools, and processes with a goal developing the proficiency required to own recurring tasks and small projects with minimal oversight and direction.
- Think critically and demonstrate initiative in proposing new or alternative solutions, identifying problems as or before they arise, and proposing potential research and development projects to support company objectives.
- Study for and pass exams required for obtaining the Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society credential.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management.
The VP, Chief Sales and Marketing Officer will be a member of the Senior Staff that contributes to the overall strategic direction of the Operating Unit (USIG) and will be directly responsible for the sales, distribution, agency engagement and marketing strategy to ensure long term growth and profitability.
The Chief Sales and Marketing Officer supports the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: entrepreneurial spirit, innovation, responsiveness, challenging the status quo, effective collaboration, evidence-based decision making, and resilience. Performance includes demonstration of the following competencies: leadership, persuasion, analytical mindset, client focus, results driven, and quality decision making.
The Chief Sales and Marketing Officer is responsible for the development and execution of industry leading go-to-market, sales, marketing and customer engagement strategies while developing and maintaining highly effective relationships with both external (e.g. independent agents) and internal customers (e.g. underwriting). Will also be responsible for developing and executing an advanced social media and digital marketing strategy.
Will hire, develop and lead a team of Business Development associates that will successfully execute on the developed strategies.
Will demonstrate the highest level of partnership and collaboration with underwriting to drive superior results in new business submissions, new business written premium, retention and profitability.
Position requires superior sales, communication, collaboration, influence management and analytical skills. Attaining and maintaining a superior knowledge of Union Standard products and services is critical.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish sales and business distribution strategies with a focus on long term profitability
- Develop and execute a successful marketing strategy that includes branding, social media and digital marketing
- Develop and maintain superior agency management strategies, including the orchestration of agency appointment, termination, tiering and compensation strategies
- Hire, develop and lead a team of Business Development associates that will execute on the developed strategies and will consistently achieve/exceed their goals
- Establish and monitor key metrics to ensure the successful achievement of critical production and profitability goals
- Establish and nurture meaningful relationships with key agency personnel, driving mutually beneficial results
- Identifies and participates in key industry events to promote our brand and develop key relationships
- Takes an innovative and entrepreneurial approach to identifying and developing new business opportunities, sales strategies, customer service and engagement strategies
- Identify and track competitor offerings, emerging issues and market trends impacting profitability, appetite, underwriting guidelines and strategies
- Conducts market needs analyses among potential new business sectors to identify strategies for long term growth development
- Establish internal partnerships, serving as a liaison for sales and marketing related issues and opportunities
- Effectively communicate key metrics and strategic information to leaders and staff in a timely and efficient manner
- Collaborate with various departmental leadership and field team members to adjust practices and protocols for operational efficiency
- Conducts (with or without Business Developments staff) regular phone calls and visits with agency principals, producers and CSRs with pre-defined agenda topics related to production, individual accounts (including pipeline development), proposals, competition and products
- Builds and maintains the highest level of collaboration with underwriting; proactively communicating with underwriting management on all aspects of submission flow, quote management, proposals, and renewal retention.
- Effectively articulates and embodies USIG’s vision and values
- Active member and contributor to the Senior Management Team including support of overarching strategy
Join our team as a Middle Market Underwriter evaluating acceptability of individual risks and determining terms, conditions and pricing to achieve company profit and growth objectives. Work with agents/brokers to develop productive and profitable relationships and to ensure compliance with company underwriting guidelines.
Be a part of a high energy team with an entrepreneurial spirited company and have a meaningful impact in our organization!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Underwrites new business by reviewing the application for acceptability, requesting additional information, if necessary, and accepting or rejecting risks in conformance with company guidelines.
- Underwrites within authority set forth by Commercial Lines Vice President and within confines of company's reinsurance treaties and corresponds with agency to collect additional information.
- Underwrites renewal business by reviewing insured's file, producing agency's experience, nature and frequency of losses, loss control surveys, motor vehicle reports, and prior carrier loss experience.
- Assists Commercial Lines Vice President in development of new products, pricing, or coverage's needed.
- Develops productive and profitable relationships with agents.
- Maintains an established loss ratio.
- Meets established production goals and delivers timely service.
- Serves as the staff liaison for the assigned line in disseminating line updates and developing staff.
- Travels within the assigned territory to facilitate customer development and relationship through agency visitation and prospect calls.
- Pursues a program of continuing education by participating in industry sponsored and company sponsored educational courses.
- Assists in training of other personnel as directed.