Click column header to sort
Investigates and handles high severity and/or complex commercial casualty claims in a prompt, equitable manner by analyzing coverage, liability and damages, evaluating reserves, negotiating settlement or conclusion of claims. This will include handling litigated cases. Incumbent will travel within an assigned territory when necessary.
- Investigates loss, evaluates exposures, establishes accurate reserves and manages defense and settlement or conclusion of high severity and/or complex claims. Re-evaluates exposures and reserves during the life of the claim. Correctly enters claim data into claim and related systems for reporting purposes. Confers with Claims Supervisors, Claims Manager and Home Office Claims staff to inform, solicit input and strategize. Utilizes Claims staff to assist with investigation. Coordinates investigation with Subrogation and Arbitration Units.
- Selects appropriate outside legal counsel to coordinate the defense of each suit. Strategizes and evaluates, with assistance of outside defense counsel, to determine direction of defense, e.g., defend to conclusion; compromise, or negotiate a fair and equitable settlement. Assigns tasks, sets completion dates and establishes costs.
- Provides technical advice, direction and mentoring to the Claims Department staff on high severity and/or complex commercial casualty claims.
- Attends settlement conferences, depositions, preliminary hearings and trials when advisable.
- Position can be remote work if the location is outside of the state of Iowa
Seeking experienced agronomy claim rep specializing in 3rd party property damage arising from misapplication and agronomy consulting claims. This position will lead the Berkley Ag Agronomy department and handle a variety of claim types and involve coverage analysis, liability determination, and damage evaluation. Experience handling 1st party Property Damage and/or General Liability also a plus as there could be additional opportunity to handle these claims.
- Examines and analyzes policies, contracts and claim forms to determine coverage.
- Investigates loss in a prompt manner by telephone, correspondence or on-site investigation to determine the extent of the insureds liability. Requests necessary reports, e.g., police reports, fire reports, medical records, property damage inspections, etc. Utilizes independent adjusting services to assist in the claim investigation as appropriate. Establishes accurate claim reserves and re-evaluates exposures and reserves during the life of the claim. Correctly enters claim data and file documentation into claim and related systems for reporting purposes. Negotiates settlement or conclusion of claim.
- Consults with Claims Manager/Director when claim cannot be resolved before it moves into litigation. Collaborates on claim files in subrogation, arbitration and salvage recovery.
- Provides leadership and mentoring to less experienced Claims Representatives or Trainees
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
The Commercial Product Analyst will provide dedicated support for the Berkley Agribusiness Staff and Product team to enhance our abilities to deliver support to all functions of Berkley Agribusiness. This role will assist the team in basic staff and product duties that will enhance productivity within the team, including acting as the first point of contact by all departments for product/system requests, managing product workloads and administering underwriting workflow applications.
- Provides administrative support and processing of Underwriting workflow systems. This includes, but not limited to policy data quality assurance, processing of underwriting and agency assignments, system regression testing, and submitting workflow system errors to appropriate parties
- Monitors Staff and Product General Inbox to triage requests and provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers. Manage set-up of department’s project management workflow
- Collaborates and assists department with product creation and enhancements, including competitor analysis.
- Assist Commercial Process Manager with Quality Review Assessments of processed business
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
The Staff & Product Underwriting Specialist will be responsible for researching, analyzing and assisting in the development of new underwriting products. Analyzes competitive market intelligence and provides technical underwriting guidance to the underwriting unit in support of achieving the Company’s strategy, growth and profitability objectives.
- Researches, analyzes, and assists with development of new underwriting products needed to meet company’s growth initiative. Responsible for providing coverage analysis and data to underwriting as assigned by individual underwriters. Required to create, monitor, and amend underwriting guidelines and supplemental applications as required.
- Analyzes competitive market intelligence to identify trends. Provides guidance regarding the unit’s performance, financial results, profitability, business mix, competition, and market trends. Recommends adjustments as they relate to financial targets. Presents at reoccurring staff meetings.
- Provides technical underwriting support to Commercial Underwriting Department to assist unit in achieving the company’s strategy, growth and profitability objectives. Provides guidance on referrals from underwriting operations including coverage design and compliance. Drafting of manuscript forms for specific clients on an as-needed basis. Monitors and communicates pricing and filing changes to underwriting in support of growth goals.
- Performs underwriting audits of individual risks for compliance with company guidelines, state regulations and reinsurance. Required to audit rating systems to verify compliance with state filings.
- Serves as a technical underwriting resource for Business Development, Risk Control, Claims, Premium Audit staffs, and Berkley Shared Services and Berkley Technology.
- Participates in development and/or delivery of training material for changes to specific systems, changes in underwriting appetite and workflow processes.
Works professionally, independently and in partnership with the executive leadership team to provide seamless support to the enterprise. Provides a wide range of administrative support from routine to complex requiring a high degree of planning and judgment. Understands business priorities and identifies process improvements to create efficiency and scale for the executive leadership team. Responsibilities will include exposure to and handling of sensitive and confidential information.
- Proactively manages executive’s inbox and calendars with attention to accuracy, detail and allocation of time to promote productivity and recognize the need to reprioritize as appropriate. Answers and screens telephone calls for executive leadership team. Places outgoing calls.
- Coordinates travel in compliance with existing policies and procedures, ensuring effective use of time and resources. Negotiates corporate rates for lodging and meeting facilities for the Home Office location.
- Prepares and confirms agendas and logistics in advance for various meetings, including individual meetings for President and executive leadership team, offsite meetings and team-based social events. Assists with executive-level interview process by arranging and coordinating schedules, candidate travel, lodging and transportation.
- Prepares and/or proofreads publications and confidential correspondence, presentations and reports. Ensures proper approvals have been obtained before releasing correspondence. Compiles and creates PowerPoint presentations, charts and graphs, reports, spreadsheets and Word documents potentially including tables. Coordinates and distributes monthly President’s update and weekly executive leadership team meeting agenda and handouts. Prepares and maintains files.
- Prepares and manages monthly expense reports for executive leadership team, reconciles invoices, and tracks budgets.
- Assumes lead role in planning agency-related events, e.g., Super Producer, Agency Advisory Council, etc. Prepares and confirms agendas and logistics in advance. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to, securing venues, event communication, calendar management, travel arrangements, hotel accommodations, presentation materials, meeting room logistics including connectivity, catering, group activities, contract negotiations and budget monitoring.
- Supports annual operational planning process and annual planning meeting. Assists in creation of meeting PowerPoint presentations and Annual Operating Plan document. Secures meeting venue and caterer.
- Performs special projects as requested, e.g., employee recognition programs and/or events, United Way campaign, charitable contributions, exam proctoring, agency production reports, agent trips, etc.
- Communicates and coordinates requests/projects with corporate office (WRBC), e.g., annual reports and other company publications, meetings, corporate visits, etc.
- Performs various administrative duties including but not limited to invoice submittal/approval, photocopying, filing, ordering supplies, boardroom supplies, faxing and other related duties.
- May provide backup administrative support for Legal and Sales Departments.
The Business Intelligence Developer supports business partners in making informed, data-driven decisions and promotes the advancement of Berkley Ag’s analytical culture and capabilities.
- Identifies and prioritizes opportunities for improving business partner decisions. Uncovers new opportunities by leveraging analytic practices to design, build new, creative, high impact analytic solutions.
- Produces analysis and communicates insights that are actionable by business partners. Researches, designs, implements and validates solutions to achieve targeted outcomes.
- Designs, develops and maintains reports and dashboards to help tell the story, whether at a book level or at an individual customer level and everything in between using Tableau
- Promotes the advancement and usage of business intelligence products and reports throughout the entire Berkley Ag organization.
- Stewards for internal and external data sources, supporting data governance and the continuous improvement of data availability and data quality.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management
- Manages the day-to-day operations within the Risk Services unit; sets priorities; and utilizes staff and resources to maximize efficient performance. Plans, organizes, coordinates, and assigns risk evaluations/services for existing and prospective insured clients to the field team. Reviews, analyzes, and routinely audits risk services associate survey reports to assure accuracy, quality, timeliness, and compliance with company standards.
- Actively represents the risk services function throughout the company, including ongoing collaboration with Underwriting, Business Development, Claims, Marketing, HR and IT departments.
- Develops, trains, and supervises personnel in planning, developing, implementing and administering programs designed to aid policyholders in the identification and control of hazards to prevent and/or reduce on the job injuries, property damage, fleet and third-party liability claims.
- Develops processes and procedures for continuous risk profile improvement; proactively and routinely interacts with policyholders and agents/brokers to optimize the impact of risk services. compliance regulators. May perform risk evaluations of insurance prospects as needed or requested.
- Position is remote with travel to customer sites.
The Actuary or Senior Actuarial Analyst may be responsible for completing Rate Reviews and Actuarial Indications, participating in company’s planning processes, and providing tools and analysis in support of pricing adequacy. These activities are to be completed with more independence, proactively, and demonstrate a working knowledge of the core principles and standard actuarial techniques.
- Lead regular LOB and segment deep dives to identify drivers of performance and develop actionable rate and non-rate recommendations to ensure the path to target returns
- Identifies, retrieves, and prepares data in support of actuarial analysis through SQL, SAS, and other data sources. Includes internal data (exposure, premium, loss, claims, price, etc.) and various forms of external data (bureau loss costs, bureau trends, macroeconomic data, market share, market pricing, etc.)
- Ensures the accuracy and suitability of data for the business need at hand. Manipulates data, performs analysis and interprets data through Excel or other analytics platforms and presents recommendations.
- Completes Rate Reviews, Ratemaking, and Actuarial Indications including support of forecasting investment rates of return, underwriting expense provisions, frequency/severity and exposure trends. Gains management support for recommended changes.
- Works with Cross functional teams to identify segments with profitable growth potential; identifies underperforming segments and proposes corrective actions to improve profitability.
- Take a leading role in the development, maintenance and implementation of various actuarial pricing models.
- Provides tools and analysis in support of Underwriting’s pricing decisions with respect to large accounts as well as different business segments in our book.
Surveys commercial agribusiness operations and consults with owners, managers, employees, agents and underwriting to determine the type and level of exposures present and controls needed. Determines customer’s ability to control the exposures by gathering information through physical surveys, program audits, loss history analysis, comparison to industry standards and customer interviews. Provides training, mentoring, specialized technical advice and counsel to staff. Assists underwriting with risk selection and ongoing account management.
- Surveys commercial agribusiness properties such as buildings, industrial operations, agribusiness operations, and commercial vehicles to evaluate physical conditions, safety practices, and hazardous situations according to knowledge of safety standards, established underwriting guidelines and governmental regulations.
- Utilizes experience and technical expertise to survey large or complex operations as requested by Operations. Observes business operations and management practices to determine safety issues and hazards.
- Analyzes history of accidents and claims and inspects scenes of accidents to determine causes and to consult in development of accident prevention programs. Measures insured area(s), calculates frontage, records description and amount of stock and photographs or drafts scale drawings of properties to identify factors affecting risk acceptability and insurance premiums.
- Prepares timely written reports and correspondence of findings and recommendations for risk improvement.
- Consults with insured in regard to activities and programs to control losses and improve safety. Confers with employees of insured, provides informational materials and conducts training as needed to induce compliance with safety standards, codes and regulations.
- Maintains knowledge of the industry through association involvement. Maintains knowledge of regulatory standards (OSHA, DOT) and local and national codes (NFPA) through participation in continuing education opportunities.
The Chief Underwriting Officer provides strategic direction and leadership for the Underwriting & Risk Control functions. Proactively participates with the senior management team and functional department staffs in developing and executing strategic and operational plans to meet business objectives.
- Provides strategic direction and leadership for the Underwriting & Risk Control functions. Plans, directs and executes vision for line(s) of business by developing strategy, building strong industry relationships, sharing extensive industry knowledge, communicating and capitalizing on best practices and refining existing operations to ensure consistent and coordinated underwriting and risk control processes that support the achievement of business results and enable sustainable and profitable organization growth.
- Directs successful implementation of portfolio growth by influencing, advising and collaborating with senior-level peers (SLT) to set priorities, share relevant information and ensure collective planning.
- Builds a long-term business plan including underwriting appetite, product, staffing, functional support needs and an execution.
- Grants underwriting authority based on assessment of exposures presented by specific lines of business, classes of business, reinsurance implications, and overall business need. Authority level assessments also contemplate the overall experience, training and knowledge necessary for each level. Recommends risk tolerances with respect to maximum size and capacity, balancing the needs of the products with the risk appetite of the region and/or group.
- Guides and shapes underwriting quality assurance, price, rate and exposure monitoring, price adequacy and risk selection for all products for assigned line(s) of business.
- Monitors and assesses reinsurance impacts in conjunction with internal (BARS) and external (WRBC) accountable parties. Assessment includes impact of treaty and facultative solutions on present and future business.
- Identifies opportunities for continuous improvement by conducting research and analyzing and implementing progressive, sound underwriting best practices.
- Identifies opportunities for development of new and/or enhancement to product(s). Product development oversight from initial assessment to completed filing and platform evaluations and implementation.
- Responsible for key risk control deliverables such as management reporting of risk assessments, development and implementation of appropriate and improved policies, procedures, productivity measures and quality measures. Additionally, supports and directs special projects and investigative studies for both the Field Operations and Technical Services areas to continuously improve the expertise, service delivery approach and organization within the industry as well as enhance BARS visibility of our expertise and service.
- Leads all strategic risk control business processes and supporting programs that identify, measure, and monitor risks and exposures for Risk Control as well as Claims and Underwriting departments.
- Builds strategic relationships with current and potential agents/brokers and customers by networking and providing engaged consultation to foster business growth and meet underwriting, risk control and profitability goals.
- Utilizes high degree of business acumen to drive negotiations and relationships surrounding complex risks to ensure agreements and plans contribute to organization growth and development as a competitive force in the marketplace.
- Independently manages and leads operational assessment, process improvement, process analysis and redesign, and business transformation initiatives internally as well as in conjunction with other W. R. Berkley shared-platform member companies.
- Oversight of design and setup of underwriting, risk control and agency support initiatives, including automation and streamlining of all associated underwriting and risk control processes. Establishes, improves and maintains operational support for underwriting and risk control functions including system, charter and compliance items and processes.
- Evaluate and design business controls (SOX, ORSA, etc.), implement and monitor for compliance and regulatory purposes.
- Plans, allocates and manages financial budget by anticipating expenditures, accurately forecasting resource needs/costs and properly accounting for expenses to meet requirements and achieve fiscal responsibility.
- Creates and fosters a positive environment by modeling cultural expectations and guiding leaders to reward performance and value “can do” people, accountability, diversity and inclusion, flexibility, continuous improvement, collaboration, creativity and fun.
- Attracts, coaches and develops talent. Provides frequent and specific constructive feedback to staff. Provides technical advice, direction and mentoring to underwriting staff. Coaches and mentors staff for succession at all levels of supervision and management.
- Develops and maintains relationships with other W.R. Berkley Regional Underwriting and Risk Control Officers to capitalize on business opportunities and efficiencies.
- Manages the underwriting and risk control leadership staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The Business Development Specialist is accountable for providing direction and leadership for their assigned territory. Partners with management team to ensure effective marketing, planning and execution resulting in retention, growth and profitability of business. Leads and influences agencies through creation and execution of sales strategies that drive an effective pipeline of new clients, profit and retention. Identifies new distribution opportunities and recommends agency appointments, while increasing relevancy in existing agencies.
- Serves as primary relationship, sales and business development leader for the territory. Travels to enhance relationships with agencies and clients resulting in business retention and new business opportunities.
- Collaborates with agencies and leadership in establishing new customer relationships and to identify, research, and develop pipeline opportunities. Drives the sales processes including prospect prioritization, initial contact and pursuit strategy, identification of opportunity, due diligence and overall management of new customer acquisition.
- Works with Underwriting and Underwriting Management to manage the territory book of business and identifies market opportunities by analyzing competitor intelligence, market and industry research, loss ratios, mix of business, policy count, premium growth, hit ratios and business retention.
- Develops, maintains and enhances client relationship related to profit improvement and Risk Control compliance. Uses resources available to build pipeline of new customer leads in conjunction with key agency partners. Maximizes the agency segmentation process and associated resource commitments.
- Ensures that tools, training and support are in place to positively impact success for the agencies and territory. Identified and communicates training needs and opportunities. Participates in program and product orientation meetings in conjunction with internal business partners including but is not limited to Underwriting, Risk Control, Actuary, Business Development, and Claims.
- Participates in the company’s distribution and operational planning process where current-year objectives are reviewed and future-years' objectives are developed. Aligns territory business objectives to support organizational goals of optimized profitability, managed growth and competitive advantage.
- Collaborates with Underwriting Management to establish and manage budgets and resources including explaining variances and related reporting.
- Field facing role, engaged with Agents and Clients to scale our distribution partners and client portfolio
- Full Letter of Authority
- Client Pipelining
- Cross-functional Territory Team Leadership
- Portfolio and Agency Performance management
- Loss Sensitive Evolution:
- Strategic partnership with cross-functional loss sensitive resources
- Formalize the go-to-market strategy on a national level
- Support distribution growth of identified Loss Sensitive broker partners
- Execute an effective sales cycle and build a loss sensitive client pipeline