Click column header to sort
Verus underwriters are curious, creative problem solvers who work with our agents to create appropriately priced policies to insure their customers' risks. We are seeking Senior Professional Lines underwriters that will support our Excess & Surplus lines book of lawyers, errors & omissions, miscellaneous professional, title and real estate agents, and public entity business. Successful underwriters who are skilled in negotiating and collaborating with our agents to ensure proper risk-selection and pricing, along with leading teams to ensure company goals and objectives are met.
Under minimal supervision, the professional lines underwriter is responsible for underwriting risks in a book of business to achieve company premium and profit goals. As a Senior Professional Lines Underwriter, you would be responsible for the overall management, business development, analysis and monitoring of a book of business. You would be expected to work independently within specific limits of authority on assignments utilizing underwriting policies and guidelines, rating manual rules and insurance laws and regulations, as well as company policies and procedures. You would be expected to maintain and develop broker relationships, including addressing opportunities and areas of concern. Participation in product line management, including product enhancements as well as corrective actions.
- Skill and knowledge of broker/agency management and relationship building including new sources of business
- Record of accomplishment of uncovering, researching and putting together new product line opportunities by applying appropriate underwriting strategies and standards to qualify risk acceptability
- Ability to work effectively and within an assigned level of underwriting authority
- Experience planning, orchestrating, and leading highly effective broker meetings
- Negotiates standard coverage issues, closes sale, and gauges customer satisfaction
- Ability to meet or exceed designated LOB production metrics
- Strong technical knowledge regarding underwriting, coverage and pricing within a particular product line
- Assisting with the training of underwriting staff
- Handles more complex risks
- Serves as a company representative to external organizations, as appropriate
- Provide timely, courteous and efficient service to all internal and external clients
- Ability to identify and call appropriate attention to broker performance issues
- Serves on task force and committees, and actively participates in projects
- Understanding of pricing and risk selection criteria
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Works collaboratively with other team members and mentors less experienced underwriters
- Monitors key performance metrics in order to achieve individual and unit goals
- Keeps current on issues affecting the professional liability line of business as well as the competitors and the overall marketplace. Attends industry conferences as required
Account Executive will be assigned to a particular geographic territory or product category and will be expected to promote profitable written premium growth and favorable loss ratios in accordance with BCIM Best Practices, Underwriting Guidelines, Line of Business risk appetite, and personal Underwriting Authority. (Underwriters) may also be required to oversee the efficiency and effectiveness of other Underwriters and Technical Assistants.
- Evaluation, rating, and pricing of New Business and Renewal risks.
- Adherence to BXM Best Practices, Underwriting Guidelines, Line of Business risk appetite, and personal Underwriting Authority.
- Development, maintenance, and management of assigned producer relationships through visitations and regular customer contact.
- Evaluation of the performance of producer relationships to ensure company and agency goals are met.
- Awareness and maintenance of personal production and quality measures.
- Act as liaison with finance/accounting as needed.
- May also be required to oversee the efficiency and effectiveness of other Underwriters and Technical Assistants.
The purpose of the role is to collaborate with and provide support to the Corporate Actuary team across a portfolio of diverse US and international P&C risk.
The first phase is to help consolidate and modernize key pieces of analysis and reporting across the group. This will evolve into more strategic, project-based work to provide targeted solutions to actuarial problems.
The position entails working in a dynamic environment, interacting with management and all insurance functions, including IT & Systems, Actuarial, Claims, Underwriting, Reinsurance, and Finance.
The candidate will be part of the Corporate Actuary team and will apply actuarial and data science to create both regularly-scheduled and project-based deliverables, including:
- Development and deployment of tools, best practices, and templates to help consolidate, standardize and accelerate key analysis and reporting, wherever there are opportunities.
- Perform testing and documentation of actuarial reserving and pricing in collaboration with operating entities and under the guidance of the Corporate Actuary team.
- Participate in discussions to provide observations and recommendations to operating companies from both a commercial and regulatory/actuarial standards perspective.
- Design and implement new management information to extract actionable insights from data.
- Help to manage, maintain, and provide data across multiple platforms and warehouses consistent with corporate data strategy and information sharing protocols.
- Be a resource for new and innovative ideas to continually challenge the status quo.
- Support operating entities with ad-hoc requests for actuarial support.
- In collaboration with the marketing team, develop, execute, and manage integrated digital marketing campaigns for W.R. Berkley and our 50+ operating units (OUs) worldwide.
- Help create, build, execute and monitor email campaigns—establish metrics, monitor and report performance for each campaign.
- Help create, build, deploy and assess webinars using GoToWebinar
- Offer a solid understanding of Google Analytics and other digital marketing analytic tools to assess campaign metrics
- Working knowledge of automated marketing platforms such as HubSpot and Marketing Cloud, and the ability to collaborate and implement initiatives and campaigns within such platforms
- Execute corporate website changes as needed within Kentico
- Maintain and enhance the Corporate Marketing portal within SharePoint
- Identify trends, insights and emerging technologies within the digital marketing space that will best support the Berkley brand and its various operating units
- General support of corporate marketing initiatives that may not be digital in nature