The AVP, Regional Underwriting Manager serves as the strategic, operational, and motivational leader of Underwriting in support of delivering profitable growth and providing excellent community, employee, and customer relations.
Key functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead underwriting contact within assigned region.
- Responsible for strategically building a territory.
- Manage profit, loss, growth, rate and retention results for assigned territory.
- Create new agency relationships and maintain existing relationships.
- Lead agency distribution within assigned territory.
- Develop marketing strategies.
- Underwrite and manage assigned book of business.
- Manage and monitor overall pricing practices and targets.
- Sales and marketing efforts as needed to build assigned region to include product presentations, agency product training, etc.
- Delegate underwriting authority and monitor compliance within assigned region.
- Manage treaty reinsurance coverage placement and adequacy.
- Provide leadership and direction on business opportunities, pricing, retention analysis, loss control needs, and account stewardship.
- Conduct audits for quality control and conduct training where needed.
- Prepare, assign and conduct performance appraisals for direct reports.
- Establish development plans for individual team members and direct reports.
- Participate in Claim Review Meetings when applicable.
- Visit and develop rapport with key existing and prospective agents, as appropriate.
The Senior Claims Examiner’s primary job function includes efficiently and effectively handling intermediate-level, commercial first-party property and/or third-party general liability losses in a “paperless” environment. An ability to communicate both verbally and in written form in a prompt, courteous and professional manner is essential.
• Reviews and sets up new loss assignments in a timely manner in compliance with Department guidelines and best practices.
• Establishes appropriate initial loss and expense reserves and continue to regularly evaluate the file for adequacy, accuracy and adherence to reserving guidelines.
• Analyzes and interprets policy language in conjunction with specific loss facts to reach appropriate coverage decisions.
• Drafts frequent and complex coverage correspondence, including reservation of rights and coverage disclaimers in compliance with various state statutes and regulations.
• Composes a variety of other detailed correspondence to insureds, claimants, attorneys, agents and Regulatory agencies.
• Proactively manages claim files from inception to closure, including identification and investigation of coverage, liability and damage issues, determination and efficient execution of an appropriate plan of action, and prompt, economical file resolution, in compliance with Department guidelines and best practices.
• Appropriately and clearly documents all claim file activity, including current strategy, plan of action and exit plan in file notes.
• Consistently demonstrates coverage analysis, investigation, evaluation and negotiation skills at an intermediate level.
• Directs and controls the activities and costs of numerous outside vendors including independent adjusters, defense counsel and coverage counsel.
• Effectively presents and discusses loss facts and issues in roundtable discussions to peers and members of management.
• Composes and transmits Large Loss Reports and other detailed reporting documents as appropriate in a regular and timely basis.
• Manages and monitors file caseload through the use of various resources.
• Obtains all required state adjuster licenses and maintains them as required via compliance with mandatory continuing education requirements.
• Serves as a technical resource within the Department through mentoring and knowledge-sharing, whether one-on-one, in small groups, or presentations to larger groups.
• Meets with intern personnel and others as needed to provide job function overview and/or specific subject-matter training.
• Occasionally participates in projects and initiatives lead by other departments and/or W. R. Berkley companies, including audits, workshops, focus groups, task forces, etc.
• Initiates appropriate communication with members of management and other Departments.
• Attends internal and external seminars and other training events and provides feedback to peers and/or members of management.
• Other duties may be assigned.
The Manager of Commercial Property Claims provides strategic and operational Claims leadership for the Commercial Property line of business, including a vision for, and execution of, industry best practices for Commercial Property claims handling and related programs. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assures claims performance for the line of business is sound technically and financially, including leadership of case reserving practices and performance.
- Develops plans for achieving corporate goals and objectives.
- Leads knowledge sharing and interactions with other departments related to Commercial Property claims.
- Leads development and achievement of corporate goals and performance objectives for Commercial Property claims.
- Directly manages Commercial Property claim representatives.
- Serves as innovation leader for Commercial Property claims handling; identifying and implementing innovative processes, practices and technologies.
- Establishes best practices for Commercial Property claims, including responsibility for the efficiency and effectiveness of claims handling and related processes.
- Administers an effective Quality Assurance program for claim representative performance.
- Develops, executes and maintains monitors and controls related to case reserving accuracy and timeliness.
- Identifies and implements effective Commercial Property claim programs. Selects and manages related vendor service levels and performance.
- Monitors emerging issues in the Commercial Property lines of business; attends industry meetings and conferences as necessary and appropriate; assures staff is trained appropriately on new developments.
- Act as a liaison with other departments and affiliated companies on Commercial Property claim matters, including a close working relationship with Underwriting and Actuarial.
- Routinely travels as appropriate to claim office locations and occasionally to other locations for meetings or events.
Manage an assigned underwriting territory to achieve profitable growth, including underwriting new business, renewals, endorsements and other transactions. Identify new business opportunities and manage agency relationships.
• Develop relationships and educate agents within agency plant to maximize opportunities and achieve profitable growth.
• Initiate outbound calls to agencies to identify sales opportunities and collect agent intelligence.
• Achieve new business premium, renewal premium retention and rate change objectives.
• Within company guidelines and granted underwriting authority, evaluate new and renewal account information to determine risk acceptability, terms / conditions to be quoted, and pricing.
• Make sound risk and pricing decisions that achieve profitable loss ratios.
• Maintain underwriting quality score of 90% or greater. Document underwriting file to support acceptability and pricing in accordance with company guidelines.
• Achieve customer service standards, including established objectives for:
• New business quote turnaround
• Renewal quotes
• Endorsement, cancellation, audits and other transactions
• Policy issuance
• Provide detailed issuance instructions to ensure policy is delivered consistent with quoted terms and conditions and in accordance with established guidelines relative to policy construction.
• Review mid-term endorsement requests for acceptability and provide instructions for processing.
• Evaluate premium audit referrals to determine class acceptability and/or appropriateness of current exposure base. Adjust current term with acceptable changes to ensure company gets timely payment of adequate premium.
• Order and review inspections to confirm accounts written are consistent with preliminary underwriting information and takes action when the inspection reveals unacceptable risk characteristics.
• Assist with training, mentoring and coaching of less experienced team members.
• Determine if facultative reinsurance is needed and if so, factor reinsurance cost in gross pricing, complete cession procedures; documentation file, and follow established workflow procedure to ensure proper reporting / accounting.
• Utilize various underwriting tools to:
• Determine acceptable risk characteristics
• Determine accurate exposure classifications
• Set adequate property limits to accomplish appropriate insurance to value
• Rate and quote business to agents
• Support other underwriters as assigned when the other underwriter is traveling or out on vacation / sick time.
Directly impacts the company’s growth and profitability goals within an assigned territory and book of business. Underwrites commercial property and casualty accounts by determining risk acceptability and pricing in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within established authority level. Maintains autonomy in work and management of book of business in a fast-paced environment.Serves as the point of contact for assigned agencies and is responsible for the agency relationship.
BNP offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages a book of business with autonomy to make decisions within authority level consistently achieving company strategies and goals.
- Assesses new commercial insurance risks and determines accurate classification of business, policy contract forms and pricing of risk. Accepts and prices risk in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within authority level.
- Reviews renewal accounts for acceptability by examining business operations, classification, contract forms and loss activity. Determines price in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within authority level. Reviews endorsement requests and takes appropriate action.
- Maintains accurate underwriting documentation and information to meet quality review standards.
- Develops, expands and enhances agency relationships to promote profitability and growth of new business and the retention of existing business. Travel within or to assigned territory to meet with agents to enhance business relationships.
- Leads or participates in agency training sessions.
- Leverages agent relationships to drive new business opportunities via existing relationships as well as where there is no existing relationship; continually prospects for new opportunities through pipeline development.
- Achieves or surpasses agency visibility goals to include both in person and virtual sales calls.
- Acts as a business partner to agents. Uses strong negotiation skills and deep product knowledge to meet the needs of the customer.
- Collaborates with claims, risk management and other underwriting team members as needed to ensure prompt and professional underwriting service is provided.
- Participates in, and may lead, underwriting and agency meetings.
- Identifies, innovates, and suggests new procedures, and opportunities to streamline department processes and workflows.
- Cultivates strong customer service skills including consistency, timeliness, and product knowledge.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to represent Berkley North Pacific to external customers in a positive and effective manner
- Thrive in a highly competitive and results-driven environment
- Effectively organize, prioritize and manage multiple priorities
- Communicate with a high level of professionalism with internal and external customers
- Develop and maintain strong business relationships; and travel on a regular basis, including overnight.
- Ability to work outside normal work schedule to fulfill responsibilities
- Reasonable, regular, predictable attendance is essential.
Investigate, evaluate and resolve assigned claims in accordance with company standards, procedures, and state regulatory requirements.
- Perform investigations in a timely and thorough manner to ensure accurate decisions on coverage, compensability, liability, and damage issues affecting claim resolutions.
- Effectively negotiate with insureds, third-parties and claimants listening carefully to their demands and using an objective approach to resolve the claim fairly.
- Control file-related expenses through efficient utilization and monitoring of "outside" vendors.
- Inform other departments of positive/negative conditions noted during investigations which may impact company results.
- Manage existing workloads effectively to achieve quality and quantity production goals while providing superior customer service.
- Participate in special account reviews and present agents and insureds with recommendations for improving their loss ratio and information on best practices.
Claims Representative II
- In addition to the items listed above, this role will:
- Steadily increase complexity and proficiency including more complex coverage and/or compensability disputes, contractual risk transfer, liability/subrogation investigations, negotiations, and strategic resolution practices. Engage appropriately with agents and insureds in increasingly complex discussions and capable of leading synergy meetings.
- In addition to demonstrating increased proficiency with systems and workflows, actively engage in roundtable discussions, Synergy meetings and on-site investigations.
- Possess understanding of litigation competencies.
Senior Claims Representative
- In addition to the items listed above, this role will:
- Assist in the training and development of claim personnel as needed.
- Under general direction, handles complex cases and those involving complex questions of coverage, compensability, legal liability and damages.
- Handles complex bodily injury, property damage and workers’ compensations cases utilizing experts and outside firms as required.
- Works closely with underwriting in developing and interpreting policy language and, in conjunction with loss control, assists in the analysis and recommendations on loss sensitive and special accounts.
- May serve as team leader or mentor in the training and development of less experienced staff and provides input in roundtable discussions.
- Attends settlement conferences, trials and mediations on a regular basis.
Senior Claims Representative II
- Include all elements at the Senior Claims Representative position to the highest level of performance, with a track record and expectation of internal leadership and external relationship-building.
- Demonstrate professionalism and promote Acadia's values and presence as a Trusted Advisor internally and externally.
- Have a strong understanding of the business of insurance outside of the claims discipline.
- Significant independence in claims handling of the most complex claims not requiring major case unit/specialty handling.
- Effectively mentor staff including providing direction for claims handling strategies within their authority.
- Exhibit initiative, a team minded attitude, be proactive in anticipating areas of concern.
The Underwriting Technician is responsible for providing administrative support to the underwriting department. The primary role of the Underwriting Technician is to process new business submissions, assist brokers with online broker systems. This position requires particular attention to detail, being a team play, and is task-oriented.
Key functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide excellent customer service by answering phones within three rings.
- Handle phone and email requests/inquiries in a quick, professional, and courteous manner.
- Achieves a working knowledge of the company’s new business selection philosophy.
- Process and organize new business submissions in accordance with Company specifications.
- Communicate with brokers as necessary to obtain additional information or assist them with entering new business submissions.
To evaluate (selection and pricing) and maintain (control) risk acceptability and profitability within the company’s underwriting guidelines and procedures for commercial risks with a focus on non-admitted General Liability for products and products related risks. Particular focus will be on Manufacturing and Products Liability. Manage and maintain good Wholesale Broker relationships. Meet and maintain the production, profitability, and service standards established for the company. Assist in building appetite and risk selection guidelines for new classes of business to be added according to market place changes and opportunities.
- Adhere to underwriting authority level as per on file with Manager.
- Gather underwriting information to properly evaluate commercial risks for acceptability within company guidelines. Underwrite for profit.
- Meet/Exceed production, profitability, and service targets.
- Ability to research and solve more complicated problems and make decisions.
- Determine final coverages and pricing for commercial risks.
- Review claims and loss information on individual risks. Use this information to identify and re-evaluate accounts and develop strategy for dealing with exposures and frequency issues.
- As a team with the Manager, manage the portfolio profitability and identify favorable and unfavorable classes of business.
- Maintain quality and time standards as established.
- Be informed/knowledgeable of industry issues and activities through formal educational processes to develop underwriting skills.
- Identify and cultivate brokers with new business opportunities.
As a Senior Energy Underwriting Assistant, you'll be involved in Casualty underwriting and processing new business, renewals and endorsements for acceptability in accordance with company guidelines and standards by utilizing sound underwriting and rating techniques. You'll work closely with brokers, agents and internal casualty underwriters as well as other underwriting assistants, claims, finance and premium audit teams.
You'll be part of a high-performing 15 person team and report to the COO. You'll partner closely with one Underwriter enabling you to develop strong relationships and provide outstanding service to our clients. You'll be able to split your time during the week between the office (3 days) and working from home (2 days). The pace is fast, requiring you to pivot as priorities evolve but you'll have the support of your team who are committed to helping one another succeed.
What you can expect:
- Internal mobility opportunities - this role can be a launching pad for your career
- Visibility to senior leaders and partnership with cross functional teams
- Culture of innovation, nimble decision making, teamwork, supportive colleagues and leaders willing to invest in talent
- Opportunity to lead change
- Benefits – competitive salary, paid time off, comprehensive wellness benefits and programs, profit sharing, 401k, tuition assistance and education
We'll count on you to:
- Handle transactions in a timely and professional manner; communicate as needed with agents to obtain information needed to complete underwriting and transactions (i.e. quotes, new business, renewals, endorsements and cancellations).
- Work with Underwriters to manage a book of business, to include Workers Compensation, Commercial Auto, General Liability, and Umbrella for Energy Accounts.
- Review submissions for all required information – request more information if needed
- Accurately enter information in systems and rating tools; produce accurate and timely policies for the agents and insureds.
- Research rules, manuals, and problem solve for solutions
- Provide Underwriting support such as ordering MVR’s, processing loss runs, posting notices, cancellation notices, etc.
- Set up electronic files, update logs and systems, email policies and general electronic filing required
- Process and complete endorsement transactions, accurately and timely
We are seeking an Underwriting Assistant that will support our Excess & Surplus lines book of general/excess liability, garage and professional liability business. The Underwriting Assistant (UA) will be responsible for providing Underwriters with technical and clerical support with the information necessary to make prudent underwriting decisions on new business, renewals and endorsements. The UA will support the underwriting life cycle from pre- submission through policy issuance and renewal.
- Identifying key issues in the decision-making process with the guidance from the underwriter.
- Identifying and use of appropriate resources that assist in the analytical process; this includes making formal recommendations to underwriters on account management needs.
- Ability to identify and evaluate exposures for each risk.
- Perform analysis utilizing appropriate information to consider endorsement/account acceptability.
- Issuance of premium and non-premium bearing endorsements.
- Demonstrates adherence to guidelines which include, Underwriting Guidelines and Service Level Agreements.
- Ability to follow-up with underwriters and brokers on outstanding information.
- Supports day-to-day transactions that support multiple underwriting team members and customers/agency partners.
- Develop, maintain and nurture positive working relationships with underwriters, customers, and other business partners to provide an enhanced customer experience (i.e., researches and resolves issues, responds to inquiries and questions).
- Display a strong sense of urgency, recognizing customer needs.
- Ability to apply judgement and present negotiation on more complex accounts and processes.
- Quotes accounts within authority limits by reviewing exposures and experience rating, updating account information, rates and adjusts the price.
- Examines inspection reports, prior audits, and endorsements, and refer any issues to underwriters.
- Ability to effectively manage and balance multiple demands.
The Admiral Insurance GroupAssociate Underwriter works in a team setting underwriting and servicing new and renewal accounts to develop and retain General Liability or Professional business. The Associate Underwriter role positions a candidate for a career as a production underwriter in the Excess and Surplus Lines segment of the insurance industry. Admiral underwriters analyze and quote business as well as grow working relationships with brokers. Candidates may look forward to both technical underwriting and leadership career paths among others within the organization. As an Associate Underwriter at Admiral you are part of a Fortune 500 Company, WR Berkley Corporation.
- Successful completion of Admiral’s Associate Underwriting 101 program:
- Admiral Culture, Business Appetite and Systems.
- The Excess & Surplus lines market.
- Industry related content, coursework and assessments.
- Innovation and Emotional Learning content.
- Technical Underwriting skills.
- Product line deep dives.
- Business development and broker management.
- Produces and underwrites new and renewal account business.
- Complies with underwriting documentation requirements.
- Maintains an acceptable underwriting profit.
- Adheres to Admiral underwriting and referral guidelines.
- Nurtures and grows broker relationships.
- Attends strategic marketing calls to key brokers.
- Successfully completes all internal company training and continuing education.
- Contributes to special projects as assigned.
- Remains current on product releases as it pertains to the line of business, Casualty or Professional.
The Claims Regulatory Reporting Specialist reports to the Claims Operations Manager and is responsible for the timely and accurate preparation and filing of various WCIRB and WCIS related regulatory reports in compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements as well as company policies, procedures, best practices and standards of conduct.
The Claims Regulatory Reporting Specialist will adopt consolidated and harmonized sets of controls to ensure that we comply with all relevant laws, policies, and regulations and that these requirements can be met without the unnecessary duplication of effort and activity from other units and departments. This position will act as designated team member on all Claims regulatory reporting including Unit Statistical Reporting (USR), First Report of Injury (FROI), Subsequent report of Injury (SROI) and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). The Claims Regulatory Reporting Specialist will also perform Claims related perform financial tasks such as processing returned checks, unclaimed property, refunds, subrogation and joint coverage checks.
The Claims Regulatory Reporting Specialist must be a team player, able to recognize and communicate problems early and suggest effective solutions. This position requires particular attention to detail and ability to reprioritize and demonstrated leadership skills.
Key functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Model all core company values, compliance policies and guidelines.
- Assist in identifying areas of compliance vulnerability and risk and developing new workflows to strengthen them.
- Run weekly and monthly FROI, SROI acceptance and error reports from our WCIS EDI partner portal.
- Submit FROI and SROI reports as requested.
- Assign FROI and SROI errors to Support Unit team members and ensure they are corrected in a timely manner.
- Process and correct monthly USR submission report errors in a timely manner.
- Work with SeniorClaims Operations Manager, AVP of Medical and others as appropriate to develop an effective regulatory reporting including appropriate introductory training for new Claims employees as well as ongoing training for all existing Claims employees and managers.
The Senior Underwriter is responsible for developing and maintaining broker relationships that drive success in underwriting and maintaining a profitable book of business as per company guidelines. S/he maintains primary and excess underwriting files, including underwriting analysis worksheets, rate plans, underwriting referrals, policies, and endorsements in accordance to company guidelines.
The position can be located in any major market within the North Eastern Region.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for underwriting, pricing, and analyzing new and renewal book of business within company guidelines, including commission and renewal rate objectives.
- Maintain an understanding of the local market contacts/relationships needed to ensure production goals are achieved.
- Responsible for new business production and maintenance of existing book of business.
- Responsible for responding to all mid-term service requests
- Responsible for the maintenance of underwriting files and maintaining proper and complete underwriting documentation in accordance to company requirements.
- Collaborate with General Counsel on manuscript endorsements and underwriting compliance issues.
- Collaborate with UA in preparation of renewals, including renewal solicitation notices and conditional renewal/non-renewal letters.
- Support less experienced Underwriters with training, analysis and authority of underwriting files as requested by manager.
The Admiral Underwriter will work in a team setting generating, underwriting and analyzing accounts for development of new and renewal Casualty or Professional Lines business. Multiple locations available.
- Compliance with underwriting documentation rules and guidelines.
- Maintain an acceptable underwriting profit.
- Adherence to Admiral underwriting guidelines and referral compliance.
- Development and maintenance of key broker/agent relationships.
- Management and development of new business and broker relationships.
- Participates in all internal company training and continuing education.
- Remains current on product releases as it pertains to Professional or Casualty.
- Stay abreast and knowledgeable on market trends in terms of forms, coverage and appetite to maintain competitiveness.
- Travel: up to 25%
To issue new business & renewal binders, policies, endorsements, and cancellations using the Company Policy System, Imaging System and other system supported tools. Follow up on subjectivity requirements and ensure underwriting files are complete. Customer service contact with brokers to develop information needed to process work, solve problems and maintain good broker relations.
- Collects, reviews, and enters rating and other information into the system to provide quotes to underwriters for new business, endorsements, renewals, cancellations and reinstatements
- Contacts brokers and follows up for missing information
- Reviews and processes endorsements
- Promotes Vela through positive customer focus and sales and develops relationships with brokers and staff to solicit new business opportunities
- Follow up and review of insuring documents such as signed & dated Acord Applications, Vela Contractor Questionnaires, Vela Products Supplement, Subcontractor Agreement, inspections, FEIN / Website information, TRIPRA form, currently valued loss runs, Surplus Lines information and NJ transaction numbers.
- Ensure underwriting files are complete
- Work with auditors when needed
The .Net Developer participates in the entire software development life cycle, debugging applications, configuring existing systems, designing and implementing robust and reliable solutions. The role works within a small team of developers to accomplish software development results.
Key functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Participate in requirements analysis
- Collaborate with internal teams to produce software design and architecture
- Revise, update, refactor and debug code
- Improve existing software
- Develop documentation throughout the software development life cycle (SDLC)
- Serve as an expert on applications and provide technical support
By joining Berkley Technology Services (BTS) as a Senior Business Systems Analyst, you’ll be part of a highly visible, enterprise-wide program aimed at revolutionizing procure to pay processes across our global organization. You’ll partner with leaders across the various Operating Units (OU’s) within W.R. Berkley Corporation (WRBC) to understand their current needs, taking that insight to design systems enhancements and new business processes that maximize both business operations and the technologies that power them. Your ability to ask the right questions to understand each OU’s needs (realized and unrealized) will directly influence the procurement processes you partner with them to design. And it’s the centralization and consistency of process that you help to build that will ensure efficiency and positively impact our overall business performance.
Specifically, you will:
- Directly engage with key stakeholders (VP, Director level and above) to fully capture business requirements and design technical solutions to address them
- Continually identify opportunities to introduce innovative business processes that leverage both existing and emerging technologies and / or new development
- Utilize your knowledge of systems configuration, integration, and data mapping practices to design the future state of procure to pay processes across WRBC’s family of companies
- Partner with business stakeholders to create use cases that facilitate testing around functionality enhancements, upgrades, and/or new implementations
- Create and maintain application and process documentation, as well as end-user training materials
- Serve as the primary contact and escalated support resource to resolve procedural, systemic, and/or technical bottlenecks that may arise throughout the software development life cycle (SDLC), leveraging such insights to further develop business process enhancements
Where could you be located?
We have a hybrid work model where you’ll be able to work both on-site and remotely from your primary location. While Urbandale, IA (the Greater Des Moines area) is our preferred location, if you’re located in Wilmington, DE (Greater Philadelphia area), or in/around the Chicago, IL area, we’d love to talk!
The Senior Software Developer is a member of a cross-functional team that develops, enhances and maintains the Guidewire systems that support processes for Admiral Insurance and its business partners. The Senior Software Developer also collaborates with developers across multiple teams to continuously evolve the Guidewire platform and to evaluate new tools and design patterns that could enhance the capabilities of the Admiral business systems. Acts as a lead reference to the users of applications developed and maintained by the IT Department.
- Work closely with product owners, senior engineers, designers, programmers, and QA to deliver industry-leading solutions.
- Effectively contribute to the implementation of major features and components from requirements and designs.
- Effectively contribute to technical design, task estimation, implementation, automated testing, debugging, and deployment.
- Effectively contribute to the ongoing effort to improve software design and coding best practices.
- Work closely with QA and other organizations in the company to educate staff and evaluate feature requirements and functionality.
- Participate as a productive member of an agile team of developers.
- Communicate well with product owners, customer support, and other team members.
- Promote established standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the software development life cycle.
- Lead the resolution of complex application support issues and the development research into any issues that require programming changes.
- Lead research and development efforts on all new versions of existing IT tools as well as the new toolkits being assessed by IT. Resolve all issues regarding installation and implementation of the tools. Provide guidance to use the new tools.
- Act as an IT representative at corporate meetings and on corporate projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Berkley Technology Services (BTS) has an opening for a Disaster Recovery Manager to join our team in our Wilmington, DE, or Urbandale, IA office locations. In this role, we’re looking for an innovator – someone driven by the unique opportunity to revamp the way we think about disaster recovery (DR) across our US footprint with an eye towards expanding that on a global scale. You’ll work with technical, business, and leadership teams world-wide to learn our business and understand our current DR programs, find what works, and identify what can be enhanced. From this, you’ll build and implement a scalable and global strategy that takes business needs and those of all of our applications, technology integrations, and our broader technical footprint into play. You’ll be both architect and program manager as you implement your strategies and coordinate across our global enterprise environment to ensure consistency and build consensus around our DR planning and testing programs.
In this role, you will:
- Architect, implement, manage, and document IT Disaster Recovery Plans, Business Continuity Plans, Business Impact Analysis, Risk Assessment, and Emergency Management procedures; manage reoccurring review and maintenance of all critical, disaster recovery/business continuity programs
- Design, develop, and coordinate multi-site, expandable workload migration and system recovery exercises that can apply across all business lines and locations
- Drive constant validation of our DR programs, incorporating any identified weaknesses or points of failure into the continuous enhancement of our DR planning and testing practices
- Lead a small team of analysts, coordinating activities relating to all aspects of Disaster Recovery Programming on a global scale
- Provide programmatic leadership in assessing, developing, coordinating, & communicating technical environment contingency plans, recovery requirements, and training sessions that ensure awareness of expected procedures and behaviors during events
- Manage relationships with any 3rd party vendors, assisting in contract negations and leading our participation in industry-wide testing and point-to-point testing with vendors and clients.
The Unix Systems Engineer is responsible for the deployment and support of UNIX Server based operating systems. Regular job responsibilities will involve making design decisions, developing team standards and documentation that is based on the goals of project initiatives and/or changing business needs.
The Unix Systems Engineer will be responsible for strategically implementing and designing in-house systems, storage and networked architectures that support Unix core organizational functions and assure they are meet the requirements of: high availability, scalability and flexibility. Integrate new technologies into existing environments. Apply operating system updates, patches, and configuration changes. Install and configure new hardware and software. This includes participating in a 24/7 On Call rotation for Priority Level 3 and higher service calls.
- Strong customer service skills and problem-solving skills, issue identification and issue resolution. Must be able to determine how changes impact customer and other systems.
- Strategically implement in-house systems, storage and networked architectures that support core organizational functions and assure their high availability, scalability and flexibility.
- Work within Kubernetes environment to resolve issues, and create new environments as needed.
- Able to configure, integrate, maintain, debug performance issues, analyze recovery, and address user issues on standard Unix Platforms. Apply operating system updates, patches, and configuration changes.
- Evaluate Vulnerability reports and determine impact and criticality of changes
- Utilize Unix Patching tools and complete updates to other systems as needed.
- Validate Alerts for Unix Infrastructure and increase system resources as needed.
- Assist in the installation, administration and maintenance of enterprise analytical/reporting, web, application and database systems.
- Updating monitoring solutions to maintain availability and performance, adding new scope features as needed
- Assist team members with complex tasks such as; maintain system scripts, security, tuning, configuration and monitoring
- Work with customers, both Internal and External, to maintain a viable common environment.
- Maintain, troubleshoot and resolve Unix system issues and user issues.
- Understand NFS File sharing, ACL’s and Export/Automount configurations.
- Maintain and constantly improve server performance, reliability, and security in compliance with BTS Standards and Policies
- 85% Hands-on Technical, 15% Administrative and Support responsibilities.
- Less than 5% travel required