We have an opportunity for a Claims Director to join our Berkley Public Entity team! You will be responsible for the review, oversight, and specific handling of General, Automobile, and Professional Liability claims including Law Enforcement and Sexual Abuse involving schools, municipalities, and other public entities.
All accounts are written excess of an SIR layer and underlying claims are handled by the insured or their selected TPA until reaching the Berkley Public Entity layer. Additionally, this role will monitor trends within the portfolio and individual accounts and act as necessary to contribute to the overall success of the company.
This position will be based in our Ewing, NJ office (preferred) or in our Morristown, NJ office.
Key functions include but are not limited to:
- Identify and evaluate risk transfer opportunities pursuant to contracts, lease agreements, certificates of insurance
- Evaluate claims for coverage, liability, and damages to negotiate and resolve claims on reasonable terms and at an appropriate value
- Communicate with insureds, brokers and TPA’s to secure additional claim information, communicate loss information, and monitor Self Insured Retentions and determine the extent of exposure to the insured and the company
- Set reserves within authority or makes claim recommendations concerning reserve changes to supervisor
- Retain, direct, and manage litigation counsel through trial, developing and managing strategy for complex litigation
- Attend arbitrations, mediations, trials
- Present litigation strategy for complex litigation to senior claims management and underwriting staff
- Respond to internal and external requests for information from management, underwriters, business partners etc.
- Provide outstanding customer service and works well with the insured, broker and TPA in the adjustment of losses
- Prepare timely and accurate reports to management regarding significant claim developments
- Lead and participate in audits of TPA’s to ensure adherence to BPE claims guidelines
- Ensure large loss and exposure reporting requirements are met referring claims to Berkley Public Entity management and/or W.R. Berkley management as necessary
- Identify issues and trends in the portfolio; take appropriate and/or corrective action where necessary; share trends with underwriters and brokers
- Communicate and collaborate across the organization- underwriting, marketing, and senior management to achieve organizational success
- Contribute to business development; participate in marketing and renewal events differentiating the BPE claims process within the marketplace
- Provide feedback and/or suggestions relating to various policy wordings
- Attend conferences, mediation and/or trials as necessary