With a focus on technology and strategic operations, Berkley Alternative Markets Tech is a group of technologists with a passion for making insurance better. We work with a team of industry experts from six different Berkley insurance brands who focus on delivering value to the workers compensation market. As we grow our team, we are looking for inquisitive, entrepreneurial minded people who are excited to reimagine the insurance industry.
Insurance is too complex. Help us make it better.
Our software engineering teams leverage Agile development principles, advanced development and design practices, and an obsession over continuous deployment to deliver fast paced solutions. The 10-week summer internship program provides emerging talent with hands-on experience in the commercial insurance industry, enabling you with skills to be successful going forward. As a Software Development Engineer Intern, you'll support development of applications that are revolutionizing underwriting and claims. Your summer experience will enhance your business skills and you will be contributing directly to our goals and objectives.
• Work collaboratively and individually to contribute working code that the team has committed to deliver, according to the project’s contribution guidelines.
• Review and offer constructive feedback on others’ code.
• Be an active collaborator in regular technical planning sessions.
• Propose technical and process improvements that will help the team deliver better and faster results, and innovations that will delight the customer.
• Delivering Results. You will obsess about taking initiatives to completion. We will ask you to constantly re-assess what we have built to make sure we are realizing actual value.
• Continuous Learning. You will find ways to bring in new frameworks and tech into our stack. You help us find faster ways to accomplish tasks.
• Challenging Status Quo. For various processes, we will expect you to understand what we do and why we do it. Then we will ask you to work across Business, Operations, Design, Data, and Engineering teams to reimagine how.
• Currently enrolled in a bachelor's degree program majoring in Computer Science or a related field
While delivering quality code, team members must demonstrate the following competencies that are highly valued in our organization:
• Personal ownership – has the will to drive ideas to execution
• Critical thinking – looks for solutions in all possible areas
• Relationship building – understands that collaboration yields the best solutions
• Active learning – never satisfied to rest on prior knowledge
• Self-starter – takes Initiative and does not wait for answers and solutions to come from someone else
• Presentation skills and written expression – effectively communicates and adds value to team collaboration through the clear, succinct expression of ideas
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Ability to learn new things/track record of self-learning
• Exposure to algorithms, data structures and core computer science concepts
• Experience with object-oriented development and design patterns
• Curiosity to learn and experiment.
• Willingness to look critically at self
• Courage to voice opposing viewpoints
• Low level of domestic U.S. travel required (up to 5% of time)
Additional Company Details
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer.