We have an opportunity for an Assistant Vice President, Claims to join our team! You will be responsible for day-to-day supervision of our Berkley Public Entity (BPE) Claims team handling General Liability, Automobile, and Professional Liability claims including Law Enforcement and Sexual Abuse involving schools, municipalities, other public entities. In addition, this role will monitor trends within the portfolio and individual accounts and act as necessary to contribute to the overall success of the company.
W.R. Berkley is a great company with great people - come join us!
This position will be based in our Ewing, NJ office (preferred) or in our Morristown, NJ office. We ofer a hybrid work schedule.
Key functions include but are not limited to:
- Manage and lead direct reports with respect to investigating, reserving, expense management, resolving claims, and overall claims handling in accordance with Best Practices
- Reinforce processes, goals, and procedures that exemplify professionalism, integrity, and superior claim handling
- Align with Senior Berkley Public Entity (BPE) Leadership securing and conveying BPE's corporate and claims business philosophy; make recommendations to Senior Leadership for appropriate coverage, reserve, and settlement authority to supervisors and examiners, as commensurate with their respective abilities and reevaluate as warranted
- Reinforce and support all BPE claims employees by modeling and promoting a culture of positivity, innovation and inclusion; seek feedback from those in the reporting structure and promptly address concerns and/or behaviors, elevating issues to the Senior Leadership as needed
- Monitor the work product for each of the direct reports for compliance with requisite standards; this also includes ongoing review of best practice compliance results, together with the implementation of action plans for sustained and/or improved compliance
- With regard to severe or complex coverage cases, ensure timely and effective recognition and escalation to Senior Leadership
- Develop proficient claims presentation skills for self, direct reports and others for successful participation in the committee process and other presentation opportunities
- Ensure that direct reports understand the importance of communicating to insured, brokers and underwriters to provide them with time sensitive information that will assist in their business goals and consistently deliver that information
- Leads and participates in audits of TPA’s to ensure adherence to BPE claims guidelines
- Identify issues and trends in the portfolio; take appropriate and/or corrective action where necessary; share trends with underwriters and brokers
- Travel – attend conferences, audits, mediation and/or trials as necessary