Berkley Aspire is passionate about making excess and surplus lines business easy to transact. We differentiate ourselves by continually innovating to bring market-leading technology and services to our agents and their clients. From direct bill with installments, to not requiring renewal applications for 80% of our small business policies, we focus on making it easy, expeditious, and efficient for agents and consumers.
Berkley Aspire writes from small, minimum premium, policies to accounts over six figures. We offer General Liability, Property, Inland Marine and Excess policies through Berkley appointed agencies in 49 states.
The Associate Underwriter works within a production underwriting team to produce commercial insurance products for selected retail agency partners. The products provided are Commercial General Liability, Commercial Property, Commercial Inland Marine, and Commercial Follow Form Excess. The Associate Underwriter has a primary responsibility for policy issuance and ensuring that service standards and compliance guidelines are met. The Associate Underwriter will analyze information and have the opportunity to connect with their assigned agency partners.
• Under general direction, analyze renewal data, set up pricing using provided renewal pricing tools and issue renewal quotes and/or renewal policies as the guidelines dictate.
• Assist other underwriters on assigned team with handling the issuance of binders, endorsements, cancellations, and, reinstatements for assigned agents within the service standard guidelines
• Ensure underwriting files, service standards and compliance guidelines are adhered to and underwriting authority letter is followed at all times.
• Rapidly evaluate, prioritize, and select most important tasks to handle for the assigned underwriting team. This includes but is not limited to:
o Handling of assigned team’s general email inbox
o Rating multi-location, multi-state accounts as needed for other underwriters on assigned team(s)
o Ordering Loss Control reports from third party vendors when requested
o Enter reinsurance cessions into reinsurance accounting system for payment reconciliation
May perform other functions as assigned.
• Minimum of three years of experience and/or training in insurance along with basic knowledge of insurance policy and premium transactions preferred.
• Must have strong customer service background in a professional environment.
• Excess and Surplus Lines background beneficial.
• Must have working knowledge of the rating process, including proper application policy issuance procedures.
• Strong customer focus and the ability to respond with a sense of urgency.
• Entrepreneurial qualities, such as trying innovative solutions, resiliency to change and recognizing what is most important to get done.
• Teamwork, providing and welcoming open, honest, respectful and constructive feedback
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Ability to communicate effectively.
• Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills.
Bachelor’s degree and three plus years related insurance experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.