"Our Company provides a state of predictability which allows brokers and agents to act with confidence."
Founded in 1967, W. R. Berkley Corporation has grown from a small investment management firm into one of the largest commercial lines property and casualty insurers in the United States.
Along the way, we’ve been listed on the New York Stock Exchange, seen our revenue soar well past $7 billion, and become a well-respected Fortune 500 Company.
Today, the Berkley brand comprises 53 Berkley companies worldwide. Still managed by our Executive Chairman, founder and largest shareholder, W. R. Berkley Corporation is well-positioned to respond to opportunities for future growth.
In April 2017, W. R. Berkley Corporation celebrated the 50th anniversary of its founding.
A newly created position to support the Insurance Risk Management Department with the handling of claims ceded to reinsurers. This role will report directly into Greenwich Claim Department, with responsibility of working with Insurance Risk Management on the overall management of ceded claims and related activities.
• In conjunction with the SVP of IRM, identify reinsurance opportunities
• Oversee and coordinate the flow of appropriate notices and information to brokers and reinsurers;
• Communicate effectively with brokers and reinsurers on claim situations;
• Attend reinsurer and broker meetings as appropriate to advocate for our claims operations
• Maintain an active dialogue and partnership with all OUs to understand their questions and needs;
• Audit OUs as appropriate to look for oversights on reinsurance recoveries
• Screen LLRs from all OUs; review monthly large loss feed from Corporate Claims for potential reinsurance recoverables; maintain “large loss event” database in conjunction with Corporate Claims to identify potential recovery opportunities;
• Work with Corporate Legal to make sure appropriate confidentiality agreements are in place when sharing claim information and data with brokers and reinsurers;
• Oversee reinsurer claim audits in conjunction with reinsurance broker;
• Verify that the reinsurance point persons at our OUs are performing to expectations and standards and that reinsurance opportunities on local treaties and facultative placements are being used as effectively as possible;
• Work on XL Pro project to make certain that the team understands as many claim-related nuances as possible;
• Coordinate with CFO’s office to make sure billings and collections are timely and appropriate (with JP Milot and Pat Tomaino);
• Work with Corporate Legal on problematic situations and potential disputes;
• In addition to/in conjunction with the XL Pro project, help develop ways to improve/automate some of these processes, to the extent possible.
• Handle discussions around commutation opportunities (do not occur with much frequency but do receive requests) and funding of collateralized deals