Berkley Aspire has a passion for easy. Our company’s core goal is to provide innovative, market-leading and uncomplicated business services for independent agents and their clients. But we don’t stop there. Our proven solutions reduce the cost associated with placing and servicing small to mid-market excess and surplus lines business.
All Berkley Aspire team members focus on exceeding your expectations with a sense of urgency, professionalism and strong customer focus. No effort is spared when doing right for you and your clients. Now, anyone can simply say they’ll go the mile for you, but we actually do it - we’ve been doing it for 11 years and have built our can-do reputation on it.
Delivering the service level agents and clients expect requires a commitment to intuitive user experiences with innovative, new technologies. Berkley Aspire has listened to feedback from our agents and industry associations and we are investing heavily to ensure we can consistently exceed those expectations, now and in the future.
Most importantly, as a W. R. Berkley company, we are uniquely empowered to create value for our customers with innovative services, experienced underwriting, faster response time, and a foundation of financial strength. This drives our success in building, protecting, profitable and long-lasting client relationships.
We are also proud to be a participating company in Trusted Choice, the brand that supports the importance of the independent agent.
The Small Business Unit Manager will be responsible for leading the production, underwriting actions, quality assurance and varied management functions of the small business unit team to drive profitable growth for the Small Commercial segment. The Small Business Unit Manager will assist, and be a key thought partner in the development, implementation and execution of the Aspire Small Commercial strategy.
• Manages, coordinates, directs and monitors the small business unit team
• Lead and coach the unit to ensure understanding of guidelines, state regulations, facultative reinsurance placement and OFAC regulations
• Accountable for staff selection, training, retention and development of assigned team
• Responsible for the strategic allocation of resources, within staffing model, that will drive desired business results
• Identifies issues/impediments to achieving business results and implements corrective measures
• Lead delivery of appropriate customer service levels
• Assist the small business unit team with development and execution of sound action plans to drive business from key agents
• Oversees and is responsible for monitoring training and development based on individual and unit needs - Coaches, develops and provides feedback to associates
• Monitor, track and analyze the effectiveness of agency partnerships to support course corrections and decision making
• Assist with the development and execution of the Small Commercial strategy, including the design of underwriting guidelines around class, size, minimum premium, hazard grade, rates, etc.
• Customize alignment and approach with each strategic partner through the implementation of creative solutions in process/structure/compensation to assure agile and appropriate response to each customer’s needs
• Assist in the creation of a small commercial “ease of doing business” model (quick turnaround, service standards, etc.)
• Assist in the development of a small commercial value proposition and ensure successful marketing of our products on a countrywide basis
• Ensure execution of the strategic plan through alignment with all underwriting managers on segmentation, distribution and product strategies.
• Responsible for the creation, monitoring and management of key underwriting metrics including submission activity, call activity, relationship mapping, production, rate change, rate application, loss ratios, expenses and quality
• Participate on projects and initiatives as assigned by leadership
• Models behavior that encourages collaboration, teamwork and open communication
• Minimum of 5 years of P & C insurance industry experience
• Underwriting experience
• Surplus lines experience required
• Ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams
• Demonstrated ability to build effective relationships.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Advanced knowledge of insurance principles, rates, rules, forms, procedures, regulations, coverages and business processes
• Ability to analyze complex administrative or business problems, evaluate alternatives, and make appropriate recommendations