Our Senior Commercial Underwriter role requires a high level of account relationship management skills, someone who can easily build new relationships and demonstrates strong business acumen and critical thinking. An Underwriter who is driven to recommend solutions to work-related problems.
The Senior Underwriter accepts, retains and prices moderate to high exposure commercial property and casualty insurance accounts in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level. Manages assigned territory to achieve profitable growth objectives by properly classifying and pricing risks; building strong internal and external business relationships; analyzing competitive marketing data, identifying territory needs; and developing, implementing and monitoring action plans as appropriate. Serves as an underwriting resource by providing knowledge and insight to underwriting staff.
Position can reside in our Urbandale office or remotely in the Indiana or Iowa territory.
- Reviews renewal accounts by examining business operations, classification, contract forms and loss activity. Determines if account is an acceptable risk or if it will be non-renewed. Determines price in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level. Reviews endorsement requests exceeding Underwriter and/or Underwriting Assistant’s authority level and takes appropriate procedural action.
- Assesses new commercial insurance risks and determines accurate classification of business, policy contract forms and pricing of risk. Works within broad limits and authority on commercial underwriting accounts of moderate to high exposure. Evaluates MVRs, financial reports, loss control reports, etc. Accepts and prices risk in accordance with established underwriting guidelines and within delegated authority level.
- Develops, expands and/or enhances agency relationships to promote profitability and growth of new business and the retention of existing business. Travels assigned territory and meets with agents to enhance business relationships. Educates agency staff on Company’s pricing and risk selection philosophy. Participates in the agency management process. Assesses the strengths and weaknesses of agencies and assists them in achieving the mutual goal of sustained profitable growth.
- Works in partnership with regional Business Development staff to identify new business opportunities from the agency force to assess, quote, inspect and accept. Collaborates to classify agencies within established marketing segments; analyze territory’s mix of business, production, and loss experience; establish agencies’ annual premium goals; and conduct quarterly and annual review of agencies’ profit and growth results.
- Effectively manages assigned territory to achieve established profitability, growth and retention goals. Analyzes agency results and competitive marketing data to identify trends and opportunities. Develops, implements and monitors action plans as appropriate. Monitors and reports on material changes within the territory’s legal environment. Reviews industry periodicals and journals, legislative actions and court decisions to develop a broader industry awareness and understanding of competition within the territory.
- Serves as underwriting resource to underwriting staff and agents regarding products, coverages and rating procedures. Provides professional development knowledge and guidance to Underwriter Trainees, Underwriters, Underwriting Assistants and other functional areas.