The Senior Physical Damage Adjuster is responsible for the investigation, evaluation, disposition and settlement of moderate to complex claims involving commercial automobile litigation. This includes the investigation, determination and evaluation of coverage, liability and damages, risk transfer, and the timely setting of proper reserves. In addition, the Claims professional will control the insured’s exposures and losses, manage consultants, and achieve a prompt, fair and equitable settlement according to fair claims handling requirements. S/her will negotiate settlement of claims with varying complexity and perils.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Oversee and resolve truck, bus, commercial auto and/or public transportation claims, including litigation
- Select, oversee, and grade the performance of outside counsel
- Attend and monitor trials to assess attorney performance and jury verdict risk
- Set and control litigation budgets
- Conducts a prompt, thorough and fair investigation by obtaining relevant facts to determine coverage, origin, and extent of loss losses.
- Utilize critical thinking and solid judgment to solve problems, make decisions and resolve complex issues inherent in handling losses, as well as plan and organize activities throughout the claim’s management process.
- Experienced with managing, evaluating and resolving claims in litigation consistent with in-place litigation guidelines.
- Able to write concise reports and effectively communicate contractual issues, technical legal concepts and coverage application in easy to understand terms.
- Act timely upon emerging information to insure ongoing recognition of the financial exposure on losses within assigned authority as well as promptly communicate to management, if beyond the assigned level of authority.
- Interpret related claims documentation.
- Initiate and oversee serious automobile accident investigations and rapid response
- Develop strategies and effective plans that drive litigated matters / claims to better results
- Accurately assess and resolve commercial auto insurance coverage issues, analyze facts and allegations in conjunction with all policy provisions, endorsements and amendments
- Draft declination, Reservation of Rights and other coverage letters
- Negotiate outstanding settlements
- Present case statuses/summaries in a clear, concise and understandable manner
- Documents and communicates all claim activities timely and effectively and in a manner, which supports the outcome of the claim file