Berkley Oil & Gas, (a W.R. Berkley Company) is an insurance underwriting manager providing unique property and casualty products and risk services to customers engaged in the Upstream Energy sector. Our customers recognize the importance of the expertise we provide and appreciate the opportunity to work with professionals who understand their business. We are in turn committed to delivering innovative products and exceptional service to them, our valued agents and brokers, Berkley Oil & Gas is dedicated in its efforts to be well-informed of the changing dynamics of the industry; support industry efforts to minimize and mitigate risks and hazards in the ‘oil patch’, and to constantly seek ways to improve our products and services to meet customer needs.
The Senior Technical Claim Specialist position will be responsible for handling, negotiating and resolving third party commercial general liability and automobile bodily injury and property damages claims to conclusion. This would include coverage verification, policy interpretation, contract interpretation, liability investigation and evaluation and negotiation of claims consistent with company policies and state regulations.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct and manage the investigative process, while demonstrating ongoing communication with the customer and relevant internal and external parties.
- Documenting files to include all key activities, contacts made, statements taken, including a full outline covering all aspect of the claim requirements for resolution.
- Demonstrate understanding of medical terms, medical treatment and injury descriptions.
- Recognition and evaluation of potential damages related to injuries.
- Manage the claim authorization process.
- Conduct complete investigation of losses through appropriate techniques including interviews, recorded statements, documentation/data gathering and securing/preserving evidence.
- Evaluate compensability and exposure; identify subrogation opportunities or suspicious claims. Prepare timely, concise reports and state filings as required by the jurisdiction.
- Promptly establish and maintain accurate reserves. Adhere to state regulatory compliance requirements.
- Verify, analyze, and correctly apply coverage.
- Develop strategy and negotiate claims to a timely conclusion, properly applying state compliance and company policies and procedures.
- Develop a resolution plan (e.g. pay, deny, dispute) based upon analysis of the facts, defenses, compensability, and statutory/case law.
- Keep policyholders, underwriting and agents advised of file status and other matters as required.
- Participation in presentations, meetings, or visits to agents, policyholders, prospective accounts and other groups related to claims resolution, service or technical issues.
- Successfully complete relevant continuing education as required.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree required or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 8 years of multi-line experience including high severity bodily injury claims.
- Must possess a current Texas claims adjuster licenses; additional licenses a plus.
- Multi-jurisdictional experience preferred.
- Familiarity with Contractual Risk Transfer concepts and anti-indemnity laws
- Ability to follow detailed procedures and ensure accuracy in documentation and data.
- Excellent written and verbal communications; with ability to listen well.
- Recognizes differences in opinions and misunderstandings and encourages open discussion while working towards resolution.
- Accepts individual responsibility for all actions taken. Holds self and others accountable to the organization and stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to prioritize workload
- Ability to think critically and solve problems, including the ability to interpret related documentation
- Strong negotiation skills leading to best claim outcomes
- Demonstrate proficiency in computer programs, such as Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
- Analytical Thinking
- Conflict Management
- Customer Focus
- Decision Making & Problem Solving