Berkley Oil & Gas, (a W.R. Berkley Company) is an insurance underwriting manager providing unique property and casualty products and risk services to customers engaged in the energy sector. Our customers recognize the importance of the expertise we provide and appreciate the opportunity to work with professionals who understand their business. We are in turn committed to delivering innovative products and exceptional service to them, our valued agents and brokers, Berkley Oil & Gas is dedicated in its efforts to be well-informed of the changing dynamics of the industry; support industry efforts to minimize and mitigate risks and hazards in the ‘oil patch’, and to constantly seek ways to improve our products and services to meet customer needs
This is a non-exempt staff position involved in Casualty underwriting and processing of new business, renewals and endorsements for acceptability in accordance with company guidelines and standards by utilizing sound underwriting and rating techniques. Candidate must have strong customer service skills and ability to develop quality relationships with brokers and agents and internal casualty underwriters and underwriting assistants, as well as claims, finance and premium audit personnel.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Handle transactions in a timely and professional manner; communicate as needed with agents to obtain information needed to complete underwriting and transactions (i.e. quotes, new business, renewals, endorsements and cancellations).
- Responsible for working with Underwriters to manage a book of business, to include Workers Compensation, Commercial Auto, General Liability, and Umbrella for Energy Accounts.
- Accurately enter information in systems and rating tools; analyze input and output of data to maintain high standards of quality; produce accurate and timely policies for the agents and insureds.
- Ability to research rules, manuals, and problem solve for solutions
- Underwriting support functions such as ordering MVR’s, processing loss runs, posting notices, cancellation notices, etc.
- Set up electronic files, update logs and systems, email policies and general electronic filing required
- Process and complete transactions, accurately and timely
- Candidate must have strong customer service skills and ability to develop quality relationships with brokers and agents and internal casualty underwriters and underwriting assistants, as well as claims, finance and premium audit personnel.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Proven ability to learn workflow tasks and corresponding systems quickly.
- Proficiency in MS Excel a plus.
- Basic knowledge of the underwriting process and of casualty lines of business and common forms/endorsements a plus.
- Must possess extremely effective interpersonal, and desk organizational skills with solid ability to build and manage relationships with agents, brokers, customers and other employees.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Detail oriented with good follow-through skills
- Must be dependable and professional, self-starter
- Proven energetic, team player contributing to a high performance learning organization with a strong culture.