The Stop Loss Underwriter will seek profitable growth of the company’s portfolio of business by analyzing and selecting risks based on qualified underwriting criteria that adhere to the company’s established underwriting guidelines. S/he works closely with more seasoned underwriting staff to develop more advanced underwriting acumen over time. Additionally, the Underwriter will be responsible for gaining a more thorough understanding of the Company’s clinical, actuarial, claims and distribution departments, all of which will advance the Underwriter’s experience and judgement levels. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Write and retain profitable stop loss cases adhering to the company’s guidelines and within assigned letter of authority.
- Establish the basics of medical underwriting by training with and learning from the Company’s internal Clinical Underwriting staff.
- Properly complete and clearly articulate thought process around risk selection and pricing for efficient reviews with underwriting management and clinical staff.
- Become acquainted with target production sources as well as BAH Sales and Account Management teams and begin establishing his/her own relationships using effective forms of communication.
- Accurately document underwriting thought process and authority reviews through company journal and filing system.