Berkley Human Services, a Berkley Company, is devoted to meeting the needs of Human Services Organizations. Our insurance policies are written through our Berkley affiliates, each of which is rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best Company with a Financial Category of XV.
We offer property and casualty coverages designed for the unique operational aspects of social service organizations. Our Human Services Program dates back to 1989, and has continuously evolved to meet the unique needs of the market we serve. We insure both nonprofit and for-profit social service organizations, such as child daycare, sheltered workshops, group homes, senior citizen centers, senior independent living, schools, counseling services, YMCAs, YWCAs, and Boys & Girls Clubs.
To develop, grow and maintain a profitable book of Human Services business within an assigned territory through marketing and underwriting processes; demonstrate functional technical knowledge of underwriting concepts, practices, procedures and techniques to include coverage issues, product lines, marketing, relevant systems and competition in the market place. Manages relationship with assigned producers to manage submission, quote and bind activity and deliver on service commitments established by the designated Service Level Agreement (SLA).
• Risk Selection: evaluate/assess submitted applications for appetite acceptability; assess risk and determine premium, terms and conditions in accordance with Letter of Authority (LOA) for new and renewal business; generate quote proposals and deliver to producers; negotiate final terms leading to binding.
• Producer Relationships: develop and maintain relationship through regular visits and phone contact; review pipeline and prospect lists; develop leads; review Producer Score Card and provide ongoing feedback toward goal commitments.
• Complete underwriting checklists outlining underwriting thought process, loss analysis, pricing theory and risk characteristics.
• Maintain records and prepare required reports as necessary, including Salesforce, Clearance, BPMi and any other systems involved.
• Meet or communicate with marketing personnel as warranted, including sharing competitive information, requesting support/assistance with the relationships, and seeking assistance in marketing strategy.
• Maintain contact with and act as liaison between independent agents, claims adjusters, finance team members, actuarial team members, Risk Control team members and other concerned parties in administering accounts where necessary.
• Maintain and update files for underwriting reviews.
• Provide instructions for policy issuance.
• Handle endorsement requests to ensure timely processing.
• Assist other members of the department including underwriters, assistant underwriters, and Operations team members as warranted.
May perform other functions as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Experience
• Minimum of 7 years of multi-line underwriting and marketing experience.
• Knowledge of insurance rating, structure, forms and coverages.
• Ability to maintain confidential information.
• Strong interpersonal, presentation and negotiation skills to include the ability to affirmatively close sales.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong decision-making skills.
• Strong PC and keyboarding skills, including working with MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
• Valid driver’s license and good driving record required.