The Marketing Communications Strategist/Writer is responsible for the development of relevant and engaging, content and identifying strategies that will help shape the perception of existing customers and prospects. This role's main goal is to lead the implementation of a comprehensive content strategy designed to achieve excellence through storytelling, via all marketing channels. The Marketing Communications Strategist/Writer will develop communication plans and messaging strategies that assure all channels are working together to ensure we meet goals and support our goal to deliver an excellent user experience. Key content development responsibilities include writing, editing, developing content plans and managing the Brand and value message in the way it is articulated to multiple audiences in a B2B environment and ensuring that all content contributes to the overall growth, engagement, and MEC's strategic goals.
- Write concise and informative copy, articles, whitepapers and promotional content that promotes MEC's value to various audiences for use in publications, digital and print media, video, presentations and other platforms as needed.
- Edit and proofread copy all company content for external distribution.
- Assist AVP of Marketing with the development of storyboards, interview questions and video scripts for documentaries, educational and instructional videos.
- Conducts interviews and initiate research needed to compile information for messaging, content and articles.
- Manage drafts through the final edit and approval process.
- Perform quarterly audit of all communications and collaborate with team members to revise as needed.
- Ensure that internal and external communications are consistent with MECC's brand and value proposition messaging guidelines.
- Work with Senior Graphic Designer/Video Producer on graphics to ensure the message and visuals are aligned.
- Work with AVP of Marketing to develop strategic communication plans (from research through measurement/evaluation) and leverage content strategies.
- Work with AVP of Marketing on media relations outreach activities managed internally or via contracted consultants.
- Create and maintain a content calendar for email, social media, surveys, public relations, website changes, etc. to determine the best timing for message distribution based on market conditions, hot topics, recognition months, industry challenges, etc.
- Collaborate with the Digital Marketing Specialist and the Web Applications & UX Manager to review digital marketing analysis reports to adjust strategy as needed.
- Stay aware of the competition's value message and service offerings to ensure our content effectively articulates MEC's valuable differences in an effort to improve our competitive advantage in the marketplace.
Work closely with the AVP of Marketing, Senior Graphic Designer/Producer and Digital Marketing Specialist to manage the design and distribution of messages via digital marketing platforms. Lead bi-weekly meetings with the team to discuss the calendar, strategies and lessons learned.
- Email Marketing (iContact).
- Share content calendar with team to review distribution dates.
- Serve as email distribution back up.
- Hootsuite (LinkedIn, You Tube).
- Provide content, disclaimer language, etc. for posts and videos.
- Key Survey- Develop internal and external surveys as requested.
- Webinars-review and edit presentations, write copy for invitations based on presentation topic/content.
Formal Education & Certification
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English, Communications, Advertising, Public Relations, or related field.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of proven copywriting, and/or advertising experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in a service industry.
- Experience in Property & Casualty insurance a plus.
Knowledge & Experience
- Exceptional and experienced writer with strong proofreading skills.
- Strong strategic thinking, organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to translate data into stories for multiple audiences
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Experienced with multiple copywriting styles (social media, white papers, trade shows, digital campaigns, etc.).
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office.
- Self-motivated, autonomous performer.
- Efficient, with strong follow through skills.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage time.
- Ability to trouble-shoot technical issues and solve problems under pressure.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Advanced communication skills, both verbal and written; ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
· Action Oriented
· Manages Complexity
· Business Insight
· Innovation & Initiative • Relationship & Personal Leadership
Midwest Employers Casualty (MEC) is a member of the W. R. Berkley Corporation, a fortune 500 company, rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best Company, based in Chesterfield, MO. We improve the quality of life for employees severely injured on the job and help companies understand and mitigate their risk for workers’ compensation injuries. MEC has a friendly, results-focused work environment. We seek employees who take initiative, are quick to adapt, are dependable, and like working as part of a team.