Founded in 1967, W. R. Berkley Corporation is an insurance holding company that is among the largest commercial lines writers in the United States and operates worldwide in two segments of the property casualty insurance business: Insurance and Reinsurance. Each of the Berkley companies, or operating units, within Berkley participates in a niche market requiring specialized knowledge about a territory or product.
Our competitive advantage lies in our long-term strategy of decentralized operations, allowing each of our Berkley companies to identify and respond quickly and effectively to changing market conditions and local customer needs. This decentralized structure provides financial accountability and incentives to local management and enables us to attract and retain the highest caliber professionals.
We have the expertise and resources to utilize our strengths in the present environment, and the flexibility to anticipate, innovate and respond to whatever opportunities and challenges the future may hold.
Manages general ledger close, data collections, global data warehouse (finance subject area), financial reporting, budget data, training and financial guidance. This position will be responsible for ensuring that business objectives and business processes are aligned with technology to provide efficient and accurate financial data and reporting.
Manage monthly/annual financial closings to produce financial statements and analyses that are consolidated by the Corporate Controller.
· Document, and implement policies and procedures to ensure the integrity of financial information, maintain internal control and comply with US GAAP, US Statutory and tax accounting rules.
· Consolidate the various company data sets into a database for the annual budget process in conjunction with the AVP of Financial Analysis and Corporate Finance Department.
· Maintain accuracy of the accounting data and provide detailed information to management, incorporating analytical techniques.
· Help establish and refine regular financial and operating reporting as approved by senior management, ensuring that reporting deadlines and transparency are met.
· Communicate company accounting and coding policies to other departments/profit centers to ensure accuracy and consistency of the accounting and budget records.
· Follow-up and resolve ledger system errors and/or out of balance situations that may occur.
· Monitor closing period job runs including but not limited to Currency Translations, Year End Rolls, and other entries to general ledger as required.
· Maintain Treasury Accounting Rules and assist in training and maintenance of automated Bank Reconciliations.
· Monitor new processes to ensure adherence to policies and procedures as designed by Corporate Finance, included recommendations when needed.
· Coordinate with corporate tax compliance staff to assist in reconciliations from GAAP to Tax within the general ledger.
· Assist senior management in special projects and analyses.
The responsibilities listed above are not all inclusive but represent the general duties of this position of which may be changed from time to time to meet the Company’s needs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
· Undergraduate degree in an accounting or business-related field. CPA and/or MBA in finance or accounting desired.
· 8 to 10 years or more of work experience in accounting and financial management within the property and casualty insurance industry, or for a public accounting firm with client work in an allied field.
· Strong hands-on knowledge of US GAAP and financial statement preparation.
· Experience with accounting and ERP-type applications. Business intelligence systems experience a plus.
· Experience supervising professional and clerical staff.
· Power user with Microsoft Excel in regards to the creation and use of financial budgeting, analysis, and forecasting.
· Strong written and oral communication skills.
· Strong organizational and team skills. Self-motivated. Detail oriented.
· Multi-tasking and time management skills to organize workflow and manage multiple deadlines.