Berkley Accident and Health (Berkley) is a risk management company that designs innovative solutions to address the unique challenges of each client. With our entrepreneurial culture and a strong emphasis on analytics, we can help employers better manage their risk. We offer a broad range of products; including employer stop loss, benefit captives, provider stop loss, HMO reinsurance, and specialty accident.
The key to Berkley’s success is our nimble approach to risk – our ability to quickly understand, think through, and devise a plan that addresses each client’s challenges, coupled with the strong backing of a Fortune 500 company. Our parent company, W. R. Berkley Corporation (NYSE: WRB) is one of the largest and best managed property/casualty insurers in the United States.
Berkley Accident and Health is seeking a full time Stop Loss Underwriter for our Group Captive division. This position will write and retain profitable accounts that require underwriting experience, with an analytic approach to spread risk. This role will contribute to the achievement of Berkley’s financial plans by meeting premium growth and profitability of assigned book of business.
Stop Loss Underwriter, Captives Segment – Essential duties include:
• Underwrites and proposes financial structure on accounts from 50 – 400 employees within delegated authorities that are specific to position.
• Responsible for constant analysis and development of underwriting and business guidelines
• Develops and maintains successful relationships with target sources and assigned programs
• Responsible for ensuring profitability at both the single employer and group captive level
• Manages an assigned volume of case and program activity for both new and renewal policies
• Works with Supervisor and Actuary to revise and develop group captive tools to improve efficiencies in underwriting process.
• Communicates effectively with various team members within Captive Division
Stop Loss Underwriter, Captives Segment – Qualifications include:
• 5+ Stop loss underwriting experience
• BA or BS degree
• Strong knowledge of risk evaluation and rating target business, as well as current industry trends and markets
• Excellent oral and written communication, negotiation, and sound judgment skills.
• Ability to be productive independently, yet work in a team environment.