The Senior Production Underwriter is responsible for achieving the company’s growth and profitability objectives.
Senior production underwriters accomplish this through successful risk evaluation leading to retention of existing business and development of new business in accordance with the company’s underwriting philosophy. An important component of the job involves using negotiation and selling skills that allow production underwriters to effectively sell their underwriting decisions to assigned agents.
The Senior Production Underwriter develops and fosters positive, professional relationships with the company’s agency partners, as well as achieves company growth and profitability objectives. The Senior Production Underwriter is a team player. This employee is expected to exhibit a high level of technical expertise, while exercising sound judgment, and delivering consistent results. Field travel will be required.
- Select new business and evaluate renewal accounts in accordance with company underwriting philosophy, established authority parameters, as well as written/verbal procedures and guidelines.
- Demonstrate a professional, courteous attitude with agents. Respond quickly and ethically to all requests/issues. Deliver on promises and promise only what can be delivered.
- Provide accurate and thorough education to agents about the company’s risk selection philosophy and pricing guidelines. Keep up to date with industry changes.
- Achieve company growth objectives by recognizing sales opportunities, soliciting desirable business, and diligent follow-up on quoted business.
- Monitor performance criteria, including premium and unit count goals, mix of business, written-to-quoted ratio, and declination ratio of assigned agencies.
- Review claims activity, loss control surveys, and inspection reports for existing policies, handling as required.
- Determine the appropriate course of action for policy changes, delegating to assistant underwriters for handling.
- Travel to agencies, conferences and trade shows. Visits may include field underwriting and quoting services.
- Assist with resolving policy related issues where appropriate.
- Provide mentoring and training to other staff members.