W. R. Berkley Corporation is a Fortune 500 Company, listed on the New York Stock Exchange. The Company is made up of dedicated and passionate people committed to delivering the highest quality insurance products and services to specialized markets worldwide.
At Berkley One, we are committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with all laws and regulations pertaining to it. Our policy is to provide employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other conditions or opportunities of employment, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, national origin, disability, genetic information, veteran or marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Berkley One, a wholly owned subsidiary of W. R. Berkley Corporation, is hiring for the position of Senior Underwriter. The position location is Morristown, NJ with opportunity to work in our mid-town Manhattan office several days a week. The position reports to the AVP Underwriting Manager.
Berkley One exists to insure and protect the lifestyles of a modern generation of affluence. We seek clients that are sophisticated individuals and families who require world-class risk and claims management customized to their needs, a team of select expert independent agents and innovative digital tools to keep it simple and easy. We’ll blend our partners, products and capabilities with all that is Berkley, generating a modern solution for the customers we serve.
About the job
Our culture is one of innovation, creativity and teamwork. Our team is highly motivated, passionate about our business, and deeply experienced in developing and delivering product and service solutions in the personal insurance marketplace.
This role will be responsible for transactional underwriting and functions associated with underwriting risks on behalf of Berkley One.
What you will do
· Review and approve new business, endorsements and renewals that fall within underwriting authority and company guidelines. Refer risks that fall outside authority or guidelines.
· Review risk management reports to identify and recommend risk management solutions and requirements
· Provide pro-active quote coaching for agents on new business submissions; align and convert referred accounts to new business
· Recommend service and risk management solutions at new line and other points of the underwriting transaction with agent/broker
· Manage book of business as it grows ensuring high quality and profitability of business
· Anticipate insured and agent needs and find service solutions
· Collaborate with Distribution, Marketing and Customer Service colleagues to ensure alignment and a consistent customer experience
What you will need
· Incredible empathy and understanding of the needs of our customers, both insureds and their agents alike. You will be an excellent, pro-active advocate for Berkley One customers and are passionate about their brand experience
· Exceptional oral and written communication skills. Your communication style is flexible to the situation. You communicate clearly and with a purpose
· Calm under pressure. You have excellent organizational skills, integrity, and great follow-through on tasks. You are comfortable challenging norms while working collaboratively with colleagues at all levels of the organization
· You have a strong sense of accountability, fun and adventure
· A strong customer service bias. You want to get to yes. You are known for your super responsiveness. You can say no and preserve your relationships.
· Natural curiosity. You love learning how things work and you are always looking for innovative improvements
· An analytical mind. You love to dive into the details of an account in order to craft pricing and coverage that meet underwriting guidelines, profitability models and customer needs
· Minimum five years of high net worth personal lines underwriting experience including cat prone states such as Florida and California
· Ability to travel as needed, including occasional overnight travel
· Advanced proficiency with the Microsoft suite of products